Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Did they ever fix pet/minion AI rubber banding between your character and the enemy and being horrible and ineffective? I played a druid many many moons ago and the pets were dumb as gently caress.

I want to play it again but for me it's lazy as gently caress or nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LordAdakos posted:

Did they ever fix pet/minion AI rubber banding between your character and the enemy and being horrible and ineffective? I played a druid many many moons ago and the pets were dumb as gently caress.

I want to play it again but for me it's lazy as gently caress or nothing

Yeah, the most recent patch improved minion AI a lot. They engage enemies a lot further out and move a lot faster now.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I haven't played this in a hot minute, do stances have skill trees yet? I remember loving my Void Knight but being annoyed that one of the major build choices I could make for stance (Ethereal or Ravaging) didn't have either built out past the basic buff.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Stances do not have trees, but the devs have said they plan on scrapping them as skills and moving them to the passive tree (Forge Guard already has a stance passive that switches depending on whether you use throwing or melee attacks) so you can just pretend the don’t exist.

It’s one of the few decisions that have made me a little disappointed, since I think stances as active skills could have a lot of interesting interactions.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What's the current consensus on this? Worth playing now or wait for a couple more patches?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think it’s extremely good already, but you might want to wait for multiplayer if that’s something you really care about. There are some old and out of date skills that don’t feel really great to use, but for the most part the game is really fun.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I just picked it up yesterday and I’m having fun so far. Started off with a thorn totem/ice thorns shaman, respecced to maelstrom/tornado stuff to try that out around ~30. Hope multiplayer comes sooner than later, because I already talked a few other people into checking it out and it’d be nice to actually play with them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Multiplayer by end of the year, I think. Probably at the end of the year. 0.9 is supposed to be when it launches, so the next major patch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just bought this, figured I'd need some solo time to try it out before trying to convince my diablo friends to buy it anyway. I haven't really gotten to dig in yet because I'm playing a buncha other poo poo right now but I've kinda intentionally been ignoring looking too much into the mechanics so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey this game loving rules. When this goes full release and I can get some buds in here with me this shits going to be a blast. It really feels like the better parts of a lot of recent arpg's but also doing it's own things and it's really grabbed me by the balls after playing for a couple hours last night.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
multiplayer should be before final release

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Last Epoch has interesting itemization

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I recently got the Keeper's gloves for the bees, but I have no idea how to build for them. But man that idol sounds like it can be crazy in the right build.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm around lvl 65 now and went Lich Acolyte with heavy poison/DOT stuff and it's extremely satisfying melting things in this game. The endgame stuff seems cool too but I might shelve this until MP comes out so I don't get sick of it. I am thoroughly enjoying this though and after spending some time with the crafting system it's great being able to sort of make what you need with the affixes.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Got a bunch of characters around level 26 trying out the different Masteries. So far my Lich is too fragile for what I am trying to do, can't keep the poison aura or curse aura up as my health and mana just drain way too fast.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ryuujin posted:

Got a bunch of characters around level 26 trying out the different Masteries. So far my Lich is too fragile for what I am trying to do, can't keep the poison aura or curse aura up as my health and mana just drain way too fast.

Yeah I *really* tried to make poison aura work - there's a bunch of poison resist talents you can take across a few different abilities - and was able to get it to a point where when used in conjunction with Reaper mode, as long as I was hyper vigilant about it, I could disable it in time before I died like 50% of the time. But more often than not I'd get distracted or misclick or just get hit with something particularly hard and die from my own poison immediately. I've since given up on poison aura despite it doing a shitton of damage.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Picked this up a week ago and it's pretty fun so far - the endgame seems a bit repetitive right now though, not sure how long that will hold my interest. I know they have more planned.

I was surprised to learn that, for a game that claims to be the 'slightly more casual' competitor to PoE, the death penalties are crazy harsh. When running monoliths, you get one shot at the quest boss - if you die not only does it reset, but you also have to run at least one more echo just to be able to fight him again. Compared to PoE with it's 6 portal zerg-rush, this seems pretty rude. I understand this is the state after several iterations of making dying less punishing, as well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I assumed by “slightly more casual than PoE” they mean you don’t need an advanced degree to optimize a build, not the actual combat difficulty.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Vulpes posted:

Picked this up a week ago and it's pretty fun so far - the endgame seems a bit repetitive right now though, not sure how long that will hold my interest. I know they have more planned.

I was surprised to learn that, for a game that claims to be the 'slightly more casual' competitor to PoE, the death penalties are crazy harsh. When running monoliths, you get one shot at the quest boss - if you die not only does it reset, but you also have to run at least one more echo just to be able to fight him again. Compared to PoE with it's 6 portal zerg-rush, this seems pretty rude. I understand this is the state after several iterations of making dying less punishing, as well.

Yeah, I took a break from the endgame at the second monolith when the boss there was still two-shotting me with a full 75% resist and making me run echoes just to have that pleasure again all over again. Thanks but pass. The content's cool but not satisfying enough.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I ran a druid up to like 90, but yeah, the endgame feels a little samey after a point. I was starting to check out void knight and some of the other classes/masteries but haven't had as much time lately anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I've been trying to like this game and I'm just not so sure.

1) What's the deal with items? I realize I'm not at the endgame, but from like level 5 to 30 pretty much everything that has dropped has been equivalent to what I have on, except for the occasional red/green.
2) The game feels kind of... boring? I went Lich and I'm using Rip Blood / Bone Curse and I just faceroll through stuff. Almost like I'm playing a game where I'm just trying to paint the screen and nothing is trying to kill me. Also I think it might be something with the audio/visual experience? Like maybe the sound is bad, or the visuals, while crisp, are just boring? I dunno.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I think I'm done with this game. It just has no soul.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I enjoyed it for a couple of weeks while waiting for PoE league, but I don't know if I'll be back, at least until it's out of beta. There's nothing wrong with it, per se. I just found myself getting characters to monoliths, finding that one piece of gear to make a build work, playing said build for an hour or two and then having no motivation to continue. The homogeneity of loot and the crafting system means there's no goals at all other than just 'play more, numbers go up'. Hopefully the other end-game mechanics they have yet to add will help with this.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Started playing this, halfway through the story I have a functioning build of lunge and warpath, and there is just... Nothing to support it. No buffs, no summons that key off the actual build I'm running, no long cd things I looked up builds online and all of them have 3 extra active skills that are completely unnecessary. Then I come here and they're getting rid of stances as abilities? I don't get it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

30.5 Days posted:

Started playing this, halfway through the story I have a functioning build of lunge and warpath, and there is just... Nothing to support it. No buffs, no summons that key off the actual build I'm running, no long cd things I looked up builds online and all of them have 3 extra active skills that are completely unnecessary. Then I come here and they're getting rid of stances as abilities? I don't get it

Summons and stuff are in the specializations, at least for Sentinel. I'm running a Forge Guard build that's around Rive and Lunge, which gets support from Symbols of Hope (Paladin) and Ring of Shields, for example.

The buffs tend to be more generic, however. Like, with Symbols of Hope, I get +30% damage for every symbol I have active (up to 4), and then another +120% damage for 4s after I summon one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bought the game out of curisoity. Did a hammerdin wannabe, still a sentinel at lvl26.

Shield throw - damage I guess? feels quite useless
hammer throw - they spin around me and murder people
ephemeral stance - dmg to murder faster
rebuke - thing to chill in and pop some instant aoe if needed
shield rush - to move around the long rear end corridors

I have now 428hp. And uh I regen 48hp/s. I found some static +hp/s items and I have like 150% increased healt regen so an item which gives 4hp/s ends up giving 12hp/s. Game feels solved except for mana. I also heal when I take dmg.. so I just sit tight, spin hammers, watch dudes die. Great when the game does damage slowly you have time to react in cases you have to move around a bit. Mostly I just cast spinny hammers... always fun.

Also stuff like flat +5 throwing damage gives 25% moore deeps... nom.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 5, 2021

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Patch came out yesterday, there’s a new act, monoliths & such got rebalanced, some new skills and bunch of class/skill rebalance, mostly focused around sentinel and acolyte. New base items & uniques as well.

Trying out a lightning javelin paladin and so far it owns. The new void knight stuff looks cool too, might check that out next.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A lot of changes to Acolyte which is what I was doing so I might just start over on a new class. I don't think I'm going to put too much time into this until the MP update though. One of my Diablo friends has been playing this and getting hyped for it too so I'm kinda biding my time until then.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hauki posted:

The new void knight stuff looks cool too, might check that out next.

That's what I've been playing - using Warpath, Void Cleave, Erasing Strike, Lunge, and Volatile Reversal for mana sustain.

Void Cleave has a node that boosts its damage 80% if you've spent two seconds Warpathing, and another node that makes your next Erasing Strike a guaranteed crit, plus a node in Erasing Strike that doubles the damage if the target has 12 stacks of Time Rot, which you apply with Warpath.

It feels really good and fast paced.

Also they put a reference to Ea-nasir in the NPC chatter in this patch and I was howling with laughter. That's such a good joke. :allears:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

explosivo posted:

Hey this game loving rules. When this goes full release and I can get some buds in here with me this shits going to be a blast. It really feels like the better parts of a lot of recent arpg's but also doing it's own things and it's really grabbed me by the balls after playing for a couple hours last night.

yeah it's very well done. A ton of really clever, just smart design choices in it. and imo one of the biggest things: the game communicates mechanics really, really clearly to the extent you very much do not need a wiki to play through it

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Agreed the new stuff for sentinel is really good. They set a high bar for themselves with the rogue skills and this update shows they can meet it.

I did a void knight to level 35 or so with void cleave, erasing strike and abyssal echoes (has a node that gives 80% damage to both against slowed targets after casting abyssal echoes.) It’s a very satisfying way to play a character that vaporizes groups and rips big chunks off of boss’s life bars with gigantic, annihilating swings. In fact, all the new and reworked skills look like they can be built on a ton of different ways with lots of unique synergies.

I really want to try a cool down based javelin build using lunge to proc the javelin. I don’t know if I can scale the spell damage on holy trail enough with a pole arm, though. The sustain from the holy trails, at least, seems extremely strong even before getting any healing effectiveness.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what I've been playing - using Warpath, Void Cleave, Erasing Strike, Lunge, and Volatile Reversal for mana sustain.

Void Cleave has a node that boosts its damage 80% if you've spent two seconds Warpathing, and another node that makes your next Erasing Strike a guaranteed crit, plus a node in Erasing Strike that doubles the damage if the target has 12 stacks of Time Rot, which you apply with Warpath.

It feels really good and fast paced.

Also they put a reference to Ea-nasir in the NPC chatter in this patch and I was howling with laughter. That's such a good joke. :allears:

Nice, I'll have to check that out. I was playing VK last time around and very briefly tried respeccing into void Warpath with triggered Smite, Smite scaling on void/vitality and time rot stacking, but it feels a little underbaked so far (I guess my skills are only like level 8 too), but I'll look into working in Void Cleave & Erasing Strike.

So far lightning Javelin Paladin is like, all the best parts of playing a d2 lf javazon with loads of flat damage, more damage and resist pen available on skills/tree. I'm still leveling it, but I two-shotted the last boss I hit in campaign lol.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m waiting for the full release, but as someone burnt out by the grind of Path of Exile I’m psyched to try this.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How are minions in this? I'm gonna level an acolyte.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

How are minions in this? I'm gonna level an acolyte.

They just did an overhaul of the acolyte minion abilities so now's probably the time to check em out, when I played I was an acolyte but didn't take any of the minion abilities because you eventually get upgrades that give chances to spawn temp minions when your abilities hit so I was able to take all poison/plague skills yet still most of the time during combat have ~10-20 grim reaper dudes flying around slicing stuff up without having to manually cast them. It's cool, and iirc I think they gave a lot of classes similar abilities so everyone can get some sort of minions going if you want.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
When's that runemaster coming

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hauki posted:

So far lightning Javelin Paladin is like, all the best parts of playing a d2 lf javazon with loads of flat damage, more damage and resist pen available on skills/tree. I'm still leveling it, but I two-shotted the last boss I hit in campaign lol.

Thanks for posting this, I started a new game going for this build and it's incredible. It's incredibly satisfying seeing a build come together as you get key upgrades that take it from "oh yeah this is pretty good!" to "holy poo poo everything is dying around me" in no time. It just feels like all the skills in this game have so many game changing upgrades and different ways you can tweak a build to your liking and it's really great.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I'm still trying to find the balance between deeps and survival for my pet builds. I think a Healy druid totem build will be super useful in parties, but I've just for a handful of wolves right now, and they are fine but still kind of stupid sometimes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I had a lot of free time this weekend so I figured I'd pick up the mostly self-built Dancing Strikes Bladedancer I left in chapter 4 and try the new stuff in the update - and it grabbed hold of me: the like 10-20ish hours it took to hit the current end of the campaign and start into monoliths felt like an eyeblink.

The new act was notable improvement in visuals/audio/design over the previous ones, and a blast when I finally got to it with a lot of fun fights (and the cocky voice barks from the Nagasa monsters that frequently get interrupted by their despairing death barks unironically helped sell the experience), but honestly I am REALLY enjoying monoliths so far too, even though I didn't get the sword I wanted first time through The Stolen Lance (Argentus dropped the relic instead, but the fight was fun and I'm looking forward to trying it again).

Maybe they just haven't had time to get tedious yet but the varying map objectives, varied monster powers and how they interact with their affixes, plus needing several active skills and in general the situations being slow enough to react to, means that the gameplay feels (for the moment, anyway) interestingly different from moment to moment and mono to mono, which spurred me on long enough to get That One Drop that kicked a build that was slowly coming together into overdrive (but I didn't even look at it and realise what I had until after I failed the map it dropped on because the two rare Siege Golems spawned too close together and I couldn't evade all the flamethrowers and explosions).

Follow the bouncing ball: Ward Trail gives me ward when I dodge. I also have gear that gear that grants more ward when I create a shadow, and I've taken a lot of passives that create shadows when I shift or use Lethal Mirage (and there's actually one more I could take that makes Smoke Bomb create shadows). Plus idols that grant ward when I use Smoke Bomb or shift. Plus health on glancing blow from gear and the tree, and of course Bladedancer has a really easy time getting increased dodge/glancing blow percentages so all the flat dodge I crafted onto gear has had quite the effect.

I decided to run one more mono before bed, and the objective came up as "survive 12 arena waves": normally surprisingly chill but something about one of the waves (probably the multiple Diamond Matrons? I couldn't pause the game to read their affixes but I think Twinning or Reinforcements or Summoning was involved) turned it into a massive mess with a screen full of enemies, enough that all the misses were spiking my ward into the stratosphere and keeping my health high but I still couldn't relax because of all the poo poo the rares were doing that I had to try and react/avoid and find openings to counterattack - it was all done in five minutes but it was an intense experience and, like explosivo is saying, incredibly satisfying to see a build come together so dramatically.

And I still have goals for it! Getting the Shattered Lance, then working through the rest of the monoliths while I try and shore up its resistances (aside from big telegraphed boss moves when I slip up, poison/DoTs feel like this character's biggest weakness), but they all seem achievable and getting there already feels like it'll be a lot of fun -even ignoring everything else that's supposed to be added to the game later in EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just picked this game up yesterday and it is pretty drat good so far.

I've started a Paladin guy targeting javelin electric build I saw on the interwebs, and a sorcerer because it looked really cool in a Zizaran video he made (which is what made me decide to try this game). Both have been pretty easy to level, although just like PoE it's kind of strange to start with one playstyle and then have to switch into a completely different style when you finally open up the skills needed for the actual build.

I really like the Warpath style, and honestly not all that excited about abandoning it for the javelin, but I'll give it a try. Can always do a warpath character and see how well that works as an end-game skill with the right stuff supporting it.