Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Great thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Welp I'm only in chapter 6 and already Amicia has gone full Lara Croft "I'm gonna kill all you motherfuckers"

Lol its great

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Plague Tale has convinced me that people actively working for the Inquisition are on the same chart as Nazis and zombies in the "acceptable targets" club. I don't care what I do to these jackasses.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ngl I keep half-expecting Hugo to say "Now THIS is rat racing!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hwurmp posted:

ngl I keep half-expecting Hugo to say "Now THIS is rat racing!"

This is more prescient than you know.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Wanderer posted:

I have a working theory that basically, your opinion of Plague Tale is entirely determined by how much slack you're willing to cut Hugo, which in turn seems to be determined by your experience with obnoxious little brothers.

The most positive review I've seen of the game, on RPS, begins by talking about how cute and endearing Hugo is, while the less positive ones tend to mention how irritating he is. He's definitely a reasonably "realistic" portrayal of a sheltered little kid in a bad situation, aside from a couple of edge cases (the hide and seek game in the orchard in Chapter IV, coming as it does barely 45 seconds after a conversation regarding how there are armed soldiers after them both), but the plot often requires him to be more of a load than he needed to be.

I disagree with the notion that he is 'realistic'. The 'headstrong toddler' is loving bullshit made up by bad media. A 'realistic' kid in most of these cases would shut their mouth and do exactly what they are told because 'shutting your mouth and doing exactly as you are told by your parents / whoever is yelling at you' is how kids react when poo poo gets real. poo poo has most definitely gotten real in the plot of this game. I don't necessarily think the game would be better if he acted like this although having him obviously get PTSD and Amicia trying to contextualize and help him through all the crazy poo poo he is seeing as his estranged sister who barely knows him would have tugged my heartstrings more than having to fight rats, inquisitors AND my own idiot brother. the fact that he seems to take all the bad poo poo in stride while finding time to undermine the tone of the game AND occasionally go full rogue is honestly baffling.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 19, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo why does the game not autosave collectibles or upgrades

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hwurmp posted:

The auto saving in general is a bit naff. I got really sick of replaying the same bit of chapter 6 over and over because of the sparse checkpointing. Minor complaint in a great game tho

Also is the thief lady voiced by the same woman that voiced Leliana in dragon age? She sounds super familiar.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ironically towards the end of the game I thought the rats were kinda cute.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hugo's been sheltered all his life so his threat-assessment skills are out of wack. he shuts up and follows orders when there's an immediate, obvious risk of mortal peril, but when it's over he immediately de-compresses and returns to more ordinary kid things like chasing frogs or wondering where his parents are

i'm on chapter 8 and haven't been too bothered with him, but i'm also playing with the French voices which automatically make everything 100% more charming so that might blunt his brattier moments a little

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i'm on chapter 8 and haven't been too bothered with him, but i'm also playing with the French voices which automatically make everything 100% more charming so that might blunt his brattier moments a little

that might help actually. Like they're obviously using a real kid for the voice so most every delivery comes off as 'I'm reading the line' rather than 'holy gently caress rats are eating a person alive'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

precision posted:

The auto saving in general is a bit naff. I got really sick of replaying the same bit of chapter 6 over and over because of the sparse checkpointing. Minor complaint in a great game tho

Also is the thief lady voiced by the same woman that voiced Leliana in dragon age? She sounds super familiar.

Melie is voiced by a child actress in the English cast and by some other actress I've never heard of in French. So no, but she does a great job.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

On PC, at least, I've found that collectibles get autosaved to the Codex on pickup.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Music direction in this is stellar.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
just bought game

act 1

scene 1

first prompt lets me pet doggo

10/10 game

e: gently caress nevermind

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 19, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

just bought game

act 1

scene 1

10/10 game

Ehehehehe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
glad this game is so varied and good. I am gonna have to pick it up at somepoint.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Coolguye posted:

just bought game

act 1

scene 1

10/10 game

Seriously. TTD (time to dog) is stellar and also you can pet the dog.

Time to stop playing immediately because the game is perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

just bought game

act 1

scene 1

10/10 game

This post is me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

just bought game

act 1

scene 1

10/10 game

lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hugo is definitely easier to like in French.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Hwurmp posted:

Hugo is definitely easier to like in French.

i found all of the main characters easier to like in french if for no other reason than their turns of phrase sound a lot more natural. french people making a french joke frenchly sounds a lot more 'right' than americans trying to sound french and make a french joke americanly.

the canned dialog also sounds better, even as someone who understands rudimentary french and doesn't interpret the words as gibberish. when used in english, Amicia will ask Hugo to do something and Hugo will go "yes!" in a really clipped way that nobody who speaks english has done in at least 200 years. but his french voice acting has him responding in a way a french person actually would so it doesn't slap me in the face quite as hard.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
additional bonus: no one can do an ecclesiastical rant quite like a frenchman, and you get more than your share of it in this game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chapter 7:

If you're doing a long puzzle and think you're stuck, reload and try again. It's apparently possible to solve the puzzle but not trigger the "you solved the puzzle" cut scene, leaving one stuck. Happened to me just now.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

"Don't just stand there Amicia"

Hugo: oval office
Amicia: oval office

The only redeeming character in this game, the bane of my existance, is Lion. I wish I would have died along with him. And while we're at it French studio, don't make save points right before lenghtly discourses and item gathering. If i never hear a screetchy child's voice again, it will be too soon. Sekiro is less frustraing that this poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have you considered gitting gud

I joke, yeah the checkpoints are kind of bad sometimes. Chapter 12 I'm looking at you

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A bit of an abrupt ending and those last few sections were a bit difficult even with rat powers but still strong enough I think. I actually wish the final boss could have been more because I loved the animation in it. RIP Rodric and your freakish teenager strength

Also if those credits were really the only people who worked on this game they did an even more fantastic job. Obviously there were the publisher credits, QA, and all the rest afterwards but that was a surprisingly small development team.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looks like A Plague Tale will be getting a dedicated photo mode at the end of this month! A good reason to replay it.

https://twitter.com/APlagueTale/status/1139114129640308736

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
This is the most Warhammer game I've ever played. It nails the underlying corruption, poverty and decay of the Warhammer Old World perfectly, IMHO.

Also it's very definitely a "take screenshots every few minutes" type thing, drat it's gorgeous

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This seems like a good time to mention that A Plague Tale now has a free demo on Steam along with PS4 and XB that takes you through the third chapter of the game! In case you wanted to try it out before buying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is the most Warhammer game I've ever played. It nails the underlying corruption, poverty and decay of the Warhammer Old World perfectly, IMHO.

Also it's very definitely a "take screenshots every few minutes" type thing, drat it's gorgeous

hard agree, i'm not a graphics hound but the fidelity in this game is nuts for a project from a new studio

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

hard agree, i'm not a graphics hound but the fidelity in this game is nuts for a project from a new studio

For whatever it's worth, the studio is 17 years old. They just hadn't done an original game in-house since 2005. Most of Asobo's resume is licensed stuff or helping with the grunt work on another studio's game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Asobo also built their own in-house engine specifically for A Plague Tale, presumably to get the results they wanted for the rat swarm AI. Pretty impressive results for a game obviously made on a budget.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd like more AA tier games like this. Last gen did such a real number on them. Last level aside it was quality stuff and well-paced.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Resurrecting this dead-rear end thread to say that Amicia and Hugo will return in A Plague Tale: Requiem coming in 2022!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX7KHZE27V8

Trailer looks incredible too, all that Microsoft money must have helped.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
PT:R an xbox exclusive?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It didn't get the console launch exclusive screen so it looks like it'll be multiplatform with a Day 1 Gamepass deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

exquisite tea posted:

It didn't get the console launch exclusive screen so it looks like it'll be multiplatform with a Day 1 Gamepass deal.

I'm an idiot who doesn't understand what that means so just tell me if it's going to be on PS5 or not lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looking at Google it might just be PC/XB this time around, I'm not really sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

More rat boss fights please.

I imagine it will probably be limited to Xbox and PC for a while and hopefully not only on Gamepass.