Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This is a Choose Your Own Adventure / collaborative story. It's going to be pretty open with what you can do, and I'm going to try to make each person have their own entity if possible with group decisions, you can't split the party. Someone will just pull the people running in a different direction back that is unless most people go running, then you will pull the rest of the group with you!

I'm going to try and keep the story moving at least once a day, and throw in at least one picture a day on weekdays. We all know there will be lapses but I'm hoping the fairly open nature will also allow for small talk and actions within a scene to play out even if the story isn't advancing. Or possibly even a scene change if the group seems pretty decided and someone else wants to give the narrative a go!

You went to a wild party last night and don't remember much other than you had a really good time. As you slowly come to you realize that you are in a tent. You aren't sure why you are even in a tent you swear this was just a house party. Oh well better see what everyone else is doing outside. Some breakfast sounds nice you seem as you recall getting sick after partying too hard last night. Oh now that you mention it maybe you did throw up behind a tree.

Oh, this is different. Just what did you take at that party? Everyone should probably stick together and ride whatever this is out, or if this is real safety in numbers!

A strange pig-goblin approaches the camp and you swear the leaves on the tree are laughing at you.

Suggestions that you in no way have to take:

Wave hello to the goblin see if it speaks English
Address the goblin with "Hello officer"
Open another tent and see if anyone else is seeing this

Suggestions that take it in a crazy new directions:

Climb the laughing tree
Attack the goblin
Smoke a bowl with the goblin

Write your own!
Remember if someone does something that's not going to change the scene they did it! You can react to that. You can take as many actions as you want as long as it's not getting too out of hand. I don't have too much of a plan for this and plan on it mostly being improvisation, so please contribute to the story however you want and it probably happened.

You can have a simple role and just suggest group moves
You can take a more active role and interact with party members

Any items are group property, the individual nature of posters is simply so there can be small interactions between scenes. If that part just makes it confusing we can shrink it down to a single thread controlled character. NPC interactions are "by the group" you can assume some nameless group member is doing the talking.

If someone say opens another tent and asks if someone else is seeing this you can be that person! "I see a wild boar in the middle of the woods what are you talking about?" or "HOLY poo poo is that a pig demon?!" or even "you find me smoking a bowl and I offer you the pipe". Please don't make me regret the freedom. If someone horribly abuses this I'll make rules for veto or something but that has too much effort and outside of an invasion from the other forums I don't think it'll happen but if it does just ignore it and it didn't happen.

I think we can all play nice without any formal rules. This thread just is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

yesss cyoas rock

I would like to wink conspiratorially (or perhaps flirtatiously?) at this handsome stranger

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

That goblin maybe isn't actually a goblin. An officer of the court, maybe, but a goblin?

I'd like to greet him politely and ask what he is!

take the moon

by sebmojo
i'd like to take a leaf & store it in the inventory as a possible talking bookmark

Stoner Sloth

- smoke up to adjust to strange surroundings

- maybe after all current suggestions are done, take a look at that hole at the bottom of the tree to see if there is loot!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i'm going to have a little chuckle with the laughing tree and sit beneath it, lean against it to show my love while casting furtive glances towards the goblin

pixaal

Manifisto winks at the pig-goblin thing
It takes a half step backwards and raises a solitary eyebrow wait he had eyebrows before? Maybe you hadn't noticed them yet. It barks "Rekshi ka?"

Goons shyly says "just what are you?"
It points to itself "Goroc" nodding its head "Goroc become me" he gestures to the general area "place from evil, no make sleep!"

He seems to understand English, but not very well, or at least not speak it well. It seems he said his people are called the Goroc, or maybe that was just his name? Also something about not sleeping and evil.

While this is happening Moon seems entranced by the tree and reaches towards the weird shaped leaves in the tree.
The yellow one exclaims "You may take but one" The green one continues "of me. But first..."

There is a deep rumble punctuated with a cough
Sloth has crawled under the tree and is forcefully ejected shortly after poking a head in
A deep bellowing voice slowly rumbles "Who wakes me"

The forest grows silent a few seconds later you hear the screech of birds as they all fly off leaving you in even more silence than a moment ago.
Goroc croaks "Do what now!?" It comes out as du'wa'tnaw. Rapidly waving its arms "humans come must" he drops the h in humans it sounds like 'oomons.

Luvcow is leaning against the tree enjoying a good laugh and making funny faces as Goroc when the ground starts to quaver it starts to break apart and crack. Moon is holding the yellow leaf as the tree starts to lift up plucking the leaf from the tree. The shaking stops for a moment, there is a deep roar it sounds like it is coming from beneath the ground. The entire forest seems to shake about.

The party has acquired a talking yellow leaf!
Everything is happening so fast, you woke up only a few minutes ago and you aren't even sure if this is real or not, but other people seem to be seeing the same thing so better roll with it.

In the confusion Goroc has started running away and seems to be gesturing you to follow. The rest of the camp seems to be waking up and opening tents. Someone cries to follow the pig-goblin. Another yells not to trust them. Yet another weakly stammers out that the tree appears to be lifting itself out of the ground. Does it have teeth?

The tree seems to be alive, or at least moving. Goroc, the pig-goblin has fled the scene and encouraged the group to follow some kind of decision has to be made. Deep down you realize this has to be real. One of the last birds in the area finally decides it's time to leave and almost flies into a tent.

Boring suggestions:
Attempt to communicate with the tree, it spoke better English than Goroc
Follow Goroc

Dumb ideas:
Burn the camp the down so you leave no trace
Go into the cracks and explore the underground.

write your own!

I should be able to expand upon things before a scene change if you want to take a quick look around while we wait for a few replies to move the scene. May or may not have time for images to go along with them until scene change.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 1, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

Stoner Sloth

Awww shoot, why is it always me waking up the ancient, probably evil thing?

Welp I'd like to try to loot any booze and or weed to be found at the campsite while keeping eyes on the tree thing... hmmm might as well try apologizing for waking it up and telling it to chill. Possibly offer to share some Devil's Lettuce with it if there is any to be found.

If it looks like it's getting to riled up though I wanna be ready to book it or possibly set it on fire!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Manifisto

follow the bird (and try to make friends with it), birds usually know what's up

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i giggle while skipping after the bird

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

follow the bird (and try to make friends with it), birds usually know what's up

Address him as "sir" and "professor", in case he is a scholar and we don't want to him. Or her. Maybe add a ma'am somewhere. Either way, I'll join your cause in following the bird.

pixaal

Sloth goes into the open tent and finds a mason jar of dank and a bottle of vodka, the liquid level is hard to judge as it's somewhere in the middle of the label and there is a lot of shouting and confusion.

the party acquires a mason jar of dank!
the party acquires a bottle of Svekda!

It sounds like everyone wants to follow a bird outside, better get back outside
you also see a keg of beer but that looks too heavy to take, how did it get here?

we're probably going to be chasing a bird, get in any last minute actions or attempts to sway the party

sig by owlhawk911

Stoner Sloth

we got supplies, happy to follow birb now! I'll still apologize to ancient (evil?) tree for waking it on the way out tho - never hurts to be polite.

take the moon

by sebmojo
follow the birb, but I would like to talk to my new leaf friend about its feelings

pixaal

A small part of the ground starts chasing a bird completely ignore everything else while shouting for everyone else to hurry. Camp is abandoned and everyone sprints into the heavily wooded area.

During the jog Moon asks the yellow leaf how it is feeling. It replies "Oh ssssso nowssss you care about me? Well I am fine asssss long assss you keep me sssssafe"

After 40 minutes or so the the bird crosses a fast moving river. You don't believe you can cross without being swept away. You slowly take in your surroundings and just how strange this place is.

The bird barely misses running into some green skinned man(?) that is looking across the river to the side you are on. He doesn't seem to have noticed you what is he looking at? That's a pretty strange statue, he seems deep in thought. Wait are there heads on spikes near that statue? Are they even human? Did someone gouge out the eyes?

There is a strange humming sound it appears to be originating from a glowing circle in a patch of dirt by the river bank.

What does the party do?

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

so many options! I would eventually like to check out the circle and the sword in the stone, but I think our first order of business should be checking out the "statue" and figuring out whether it is a threat. however we should avoid looking directly into its eyes. does the green guy seem to be hypnotized? or are things maybe the other way around, the green guy has medusa-like capabilities? let's not look directly into his eyes either, but just try to figure out the situation as best we can.

we could always ask the leaf if it knows what the deal is

Goons Are Gifts

Okay, statue, that sounds bad. Don't blink. Blink and you're probably dead.

Let's look at the statue in detail and whisper a shy hello, just in case.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i stifle a scream and cover my mouth with one hand while shaking the other vigorously over my face to try and clam myself while gently bouncing up and down on the balls of my feet then ask the rest of the party, "do you think those heads are edible?" and "can someone try to take that sword out of that stone for me?"

take the moon

by sebmojo
I check out the glowing circle while keeping my ears peeled for any leaf commentary

Stoner Sloth

Can I try to draw the sword from the stone to become the true king of wherever the gently caress we are? I'll try smoking up using some of our dank supply before hand to give me strength and courage tho.

pixaal

The group approaches the statue more or less as a whole. A few people head towards other areas of interest by the river.

Manifisto takes in the scene noticing the green skinned man is humming to himself while rummaging in his pockets, at least you hope that's what he's doing down there.

Moon has taken the leaf to the strange circle. Upon stepping on the patch of dirt the hair on your entire body feels like it is standing up. It feels a bit strange here almost as if the air has a slight charge. Slowly, carefully, moving towards the circle Moon taps the outer edge with a foot. It seems like a regular old stone circle. Upon questioning the leaf about the area it answers "I have lived asss part of the Sssstrider my entire life. Ssshe has ssslept most of my reccccent memoriesssss. I have not been ssssso far in ssssso long ssssso much hasssss changed".

Luvcow is a ball of excitement looking ready for adventure but seems hesitant to be the one to take action and asks if someone can attempt to remove the sword.

Sloth doesn't have a pipe but manages to find some rolling papers in a pocket. Opening the mason jar it smells earthy with hints of lavender and citrus. Picking out a nice nugget that looks easy to break up by hand since no one seems to have salvaged a grinder. The smell fills the the area with a strong scent.

Goons is out of line of sight of the man behind the statue carefully looking at every crack and detail while whispering "hello, I'm not here to hurt you".

The green man suddenly makes some sniffing sounds and shifts his gaze towards the smoke then seems to notice everyone all at once. "Never seen anyone else here, have you come to pay tribute to Lorel as well?" When he says Lorel he takes his left hand out of his pocket and makes a hand gesture with all his fingers pointing towards the sky except the middle one, which he points directly at the statue

Sloth moves to the sword gripping the hilt with both hands, it wont budge. After several minutes they reach down and attempt to use the guard for leverage when they notice that there is blade between the hilt and guard. The guard slides right past the hilt.

the party has acquired a jeweled sword guard

Moon, still at the circle waves a hand over the circle, the hand blurs but otherwise seems fine.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

"hello stranger! we are here by chance but always eager to learn. why do you pay tribute to lorel?"

I also a we'd, and maybe our new friend too

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

"You know not of the Lady of Time?"

"Many have tried to break her hold so as to undo the past and forge the world a new. She was weakened and times flow has become..." He trails off as if in thought "messy since the attempt to burn her with dragon's fire"

His extended finger seems to glow slightly blue

"But surely you must already know that. So why have you really come to this holy place? What really brings you to the Stream of Time?"

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 2, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

Stoner Sloth

well i'll just do the obvious and convert xcalibur hilt into crude wheede smonkin apparatus.Greet green man/hallucination with a thumbs up shortly b4 breathing out a legendary cloud of smoke.

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

"You know not of the Lady of Time?"

"Many have tried to break her hold so as to undo the past and forge the world a new. She was weakened and times flow has become..." He trails off as if in thought "messy since the attempt to burn her with dragon's fire"

His extended finger seems to glow slightly blue

"But surely you must already know that. So why have you really come to this holy place? What really brings you to the Stream of Time?"

"a feathered friend was our guide, but he seems to have wandered off. who are you, if I may ask?"

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

slowly and slyly convert sword hilt into wheede smoking pipe. other than that follow along with others decisions.

Goons Are Gifts

After Manifisto finished: "We assumed that that magnificent bird that looked like a scholar knew where to go, since we went out ask the questions of life. Do you have any answers?"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I inspect the river, see if there's any fishes or frogs and how deep

pixaal

The group brings the bird up and asks if he has any other information, perhaps about the meaning of life

He replies "I am but one keeper, if you intend only to pass by then so be. I am here to observe this disturbance in time at this Nexus of Lorel.
He takes his hand out of his pocket and lights a pipe you, aren't sure what's in it.
"Life is about order and structure. Things must happen the way they always have."

Luvcow peers into the river

"careful now if you fall in you'll get lost in time, you could end up anywhen, you don't want that"
he seems lost in thought might be what's in the pipe
"so what brings such a large group from the order this way in secret? I can smell that delightful smell from here, at least one of you has to be of the Order. If you can't say then be off, but stop playing dumb it's fooling no one".
Or perhaps he has just confused you for part of his group.

Sloth pries the end Sapphire and Amethyst out of the hilt guard from the sword to make a mouth piece and carb. The hilt is strangely hollow like it was intended for this. The sapphire fits perfectly into the other end to make the bottom of the bowl.

The Green Man nods with approval "Been a long time since I've seen one used that way".

The guard has been crafted into a jeweled pipe!
the party has acquired an amethyst

It tastes like dirt when you hit the pipe because it's full of dust and dirt there also appears to be some moss growing inside

Generic ideas:
Jump into the Stream of Time and see where it takes you
Hop on the circle and see if anything happens
Follow the river maybe there's something else interesting or a bridge, we just know the green guy would love it if you found a way to cross time.

sig by owlhawk911

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i'd like to try a sip of the water and then tell the keeper guy that we honestly have noe idea who he is or where we are

take the moon

by sebmojo
absolutely wanna hop in that hole but only if the leaf is chill w it

Manifisto

look for materials to fashion a bong using water from the stream of time

ty nesamdoom!

Scaly Haylie

I propose putting the pipe to the statue's lips.

pixaal

Luvcow dips their hands into the very flow of time they rapidly change age turning old and brittle, youthful and young, they appear tiny like that of a child then grow to adult sized again, they even turn to dust briefly. It feels strange like you have all the energy in the world one minute and crippling arthritis the next and suddenly perfectly fine again. Upon removal the hands return to roughly the same age they were. Strangely the hands are dry as if nothing happened. You aren't even sure the water felt wet.

The man gives you the strangest look, his eyes grow larger, which you would think is impossible since his entire eye seems to be a pupil.

"You really aren't part of the Order are you? And here I was running my mouth, can't be changing the timeline again now can I? I'll be in big trouble if I let you leave. Now what to do with you, what to do."

Lizard takes the jeweled pipe and places it near the mouth of the statue. It's open in a look of horror and more of a shelf than a mouth. The smoke fills the mouth chamber of the statue

his finger begins to glow really brightly suddenly everything else seems to dim as if the light from the surrounding area is being sucked in. His eyes start to glow. He suddenly bursts into laughter, it's more of a cackle to be honest.

sounds like he's come kind of time police and just hosed up and is trying to cover up his mess, and that mess is you!

Moon asks the Yellow, the leaf, about the circle.
"Hell if I know but it has to be a better idea than sticking around".

manifisto when everything dims looks up from studying the horned skull seeing if it can be made into a bong using the mouth for water and the eyes for down stem and mouth piece, it seems a bit gross but nothing else nearby seems to be suitable and sometimes you just need a bong.

I saw lizard's reply in my preview I fit it in the middle of some dialog that time probably passed during.
There is nothing important about that skull, but you can sure take it and make a bong out of it if you want but I'm pretty sure that's not what you wanted and if I just said that you'd have wanted to see what I came up with so there's the picture. For reference that flesh is a bit rotten and you're going to have to get it down to just bone before worrying about a down stem, the horn might be usable for that I guess. Kind of :black101:

sig by owlhawk911

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i look around to see if there's anything i can throw at him like a rock or a stick or an earthworm

take the moon

by sebmojo
I hold my breath and hop in the circle

e: only if I am allowed to take the leaf w me on my journey

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

take the moon posted:

I hold my breath and hop in the circle

e: only if I am allowed to take the leaf w me on my journey

maybe ask the leaf for permission?

Manifisto

dip the head into the time stream until the flesh has rotted off of it, then pull it out. turn upside down, the cranium will hold the water, one eyehole will be the mouthpiece, the other eyehole is where we'll put the stem, the nosehole will be the carb. use the horn as the stem. fill with time water and let's try her out!

ty nesamdoom!

take the moon

by sebmojo

Luvcow posted:

maybe ask the leaf for permission?

it seems to b down but yes consent is important, so do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

What is the Order?
Ask him or the leaf, or both maybe. Or the entire group.

I just shout it out, directed at everyone. "What is that Order?"