Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My elementary school Texas science textbook said the phases of the moon were caused by Earth's shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

All wars were covered as 'America were the good guys and saved the dayTM' as if the other Allied nations were helpless drooling babbies and didn't do anything while America did everything. I remember arguing with other students that yes Australia was involved in WW2. They were a big part of the Pacific theater fighting. But the book only ever said 'American ships' in the Pacific theater parts.

Nth-ing the BS that Columbus was a gallant explorer and befriended the natives and was a real cool dude. And it glossed over that a bunch of former presidents were slave owners, and it really 'cleaned up' the biographies of a lot of Civil War generals North and South (the Confederates were all eccentric Southern gentlemen, you see!)

My parents were both teachers, and my mom still had some of her old textbooks from the mid-seventies when she was getting her masters for teaching special ed. The title of one was 'The Trainable Retarded'. It had some rather... antiquated terminology peppered throughout, and it kept expectations for those considered 'trainable' (the level below 'educable') were pretty dang low.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 1, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

My parents were both teachers, and my mom still had some of her old textbooks from the mid-seventies when she was getting her masters for teaching special ed. The title of one was 'The Trainable Retarded'. It had some rather... antiquated terminology peppered throughout, and it kept expectations for those considered 'trainable' (the level below 'educable') were pretty dang low.
I feel bad for laughing at this, but loving lmao. Public understanding of mental disabilities isn't great but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

(ca. 1975)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
hahaha

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Caution: Jews may be vocal

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doctor, please help me, I’m in pain
Whadarya? Jewish?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Fun fact: A lot of doctors still believe that blacks feel less pain than whites.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Fun fact: A lot of doctors still believe that blacks feel less pain than whites.

They haven't been getting that from their textbooks because this one (that quotes research from 2009) says the opposite.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 19th century Canadian history textbook. The way its talks about native Americans would make Hitler blush. It's in storage right now, I'll try to find it and get some scans

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We were shown Capra's Prelude to War with no context in history class. It was just presented as the truth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I feel bad for laughing at this, but loving lmao. Public understanding of mental disabilities isn't great but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I like the lack of a white/Christian entry in the table. It's like a horoscope, I'd love to see them guess which category they belong to if the titles are hidden

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cephalectomy posted:

i lived in rural illinois and our textbooks did not cover any event past ww2 except to say things happened and we came out on top somehow?

don't worry history teachers still don't cover past ww2 because they're all football coaches who don't give a poo poo past when US was good guys

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
My science text book said Pluto was a planet :saddowns:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i went to a good high school and while we had textbooks for most subjects they were very rarely used for anything except math because the teachers actually knew their subjects well and engaged the class in discussions instead of assigning rote reading homework or w/e

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Thots and Prayers posted:

I argued with my English teacher over Robert Frost's _Mending Wall_. She claimed the subtext of the poem indicated that the author went out and tore down the wall himself during the offseason, which was *clearly* ludicrous as walking the wall to lift those rocks back into place seemed like a shitton of work but nooooo that bitch would not relent and marked me down because of it.

This actually happened and I am still angry.

WTF? I am so loving triggered! lol.
Not an English Major, nor have I read the poem in 30 years, but goddamn that is a horrible take.

The whole point of the poem was two neighbors ignoring each other but for one day a year. And they are both okay with that. "Good fences make good neighbors" is the point of the poem.

How's the family? Fine.
How was your year? Good.
Done stacking rocks, see you next year.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe you should reread the poem then, it’s about how the wall is unnatural and unnecessary and the neighbor is a hidebound oval office for thinking that good fences make good neighbors.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I remember a story from a newly published text book my sister got in high school. It was a "cultural differences" story that actually happened in the area we lived in a few years previous and was in the local news for a couple days.

Some pacific islanders, Somoans maybe?, went to a horse ranch to buy a pony for their daughter's birthday party. After the sale the rancher notes, "how you getting the pony out of here? You came in a station wagon, and didn't bring a horse trailer?" "No worries... it'll go in the back of the car." To the complete shock of the rancher they then club the head of the pony in and load it in the back of the car.

The pony was not for the girl to ride around, it was for BBQ.

The story happened when we lived in Utah, we saw it on tv and in the paper. A couple years later it was chronicled in a text book that my sister was assigned.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

skasion posted:

Maybe you should reread the poem then, it’s about how the wall is unnatural and unnecessary and the neighbor is a hidebound oval office for thinking that good fences make good neighbors.

I will do that. I freely admit my memory could be skewed. I just remember that poem as a class discussion for a couple days in high school. Maybe I'm the one on the short end of the education stick.

Edit: ok, on re-read I definitely get the author questioning the need for the wall to begin with, and the neighbor's "good fences make good neighbors" is more of a regurgitated response rather than one that actually assesses a need for a wall at all. The neighbor is just thoroughly entrenched in habit. So maybe its a take on people's willingness to question or mindlessly follow tradition? Or maybe we don't know it and the author is just a huge douche bag and the neighbor just doesn't want anything to do with him, but putting the wall back together to keep the author at arms length.

Other than frost heave and hunters though, I don't see anything that implies the author was actually tearing down the wall secretly.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2019

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Sponge Baathist posted:

pretty much every textbook I got in school had big black dicks drawn on every page. Sometimes it would become apparent at the end of the year that somebody drew big black cocks in permanent marker on every page

I miss drawing giant dicks on all the pictures of dudes in my history books so much.

Also writing somewhere early in the book TURN TO PAGE 237 and then on 237 writing gently caress YOU!!!!

Also the classic "if you read this you are gay"

Vandalizing textbooks rules

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

skasion posted:

Internetjack posted:

I will do that. I freely admit my memory could be skewed. I just remember that poem as a class discussion for a couple days in high school. Maybe I'm the one on the short end of the education stick.
u can approach art w/different but equally valid aesthetic interpretations bc the author is a function of discourse u fuckin scrubs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The German textbooks we had in high school were so old they still talked about the GDR and DDR separately despite the wall having been down for double digit years. Much like other antiquated language books they were filled with the kinds of weird conversations that nobody ever has. Things along the line of:
  • Greetings!
  • Greetings and salutations!
  • Where do you live?
  • Right there around the corner!
  • Oh how nice. I have bread, do you like the smell of bread?
  • Yes, very much!

There were also curse words and dicks on almost every page. That was fun because at the beginning of the year when we were issued the books we had to go through them page by page and note any defacement. It basically took an entire class period just for that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The_Franz posted:

The German textbooks we had in high school were so old they still talked about the GDR and DDR separately despite the wall having been down for double digit years. Much like other antiquated language books they were filled with the kinds of weird conversations that nobody ever has. Things along the line of:
  • Greetings!
  • Greetings and salutations!
  • Where do you live?
  • Right there around the corner!
  • Oh how nice. I have bread, do you like the smell of bread?
  • Yes, very much!

There were also curse words and dicks on almost every page. That was fun because at the beginning of the year when we were issued the books we had to go through them page by page and note any defacement. It basically took an entire class period just for that.

hell yeah, DEUTSCH AKTUELL 1

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yep, that's it!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

GruB dich, Monika! Kennst du Ingo?
Ja, Ingo ist mein freund!
GruB dich Ingo! Wo wonst du?
I wohne gleich hier unst die Ecke.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

we used the Ven Conmigo spanish books and there was one guy who appeared over and over, shaking his fist at things. his car's open hood, the radio he was laying next to on a picnic blanket. i hope that dude has made peace with machines.

the only thing i remember from those books was a guy in a wheelchair explaining what empanadas are

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember a lot my history textbooks ended every chapter with "here's what the gays, women, and minorities were doing".

Let's say the chapter was about, oh, United States history right after the Revolution. The chapter would go over the internal politics, some famous names and places, and some stuff about the constitution probably. Then at the end to conclude would be exactly three paragraphs, one for some stuff women were doing, one for some stuff minorities were doing, and one for some stuff gays were doing, or legislation/events/whatever that primarily affected them.

Same thing no matter the time period. Napleon's rise in Europe? Ready a whole chapter about Napoleon, the wars, the politics, the Continental System, all that. Then wrap it with a three paragraph conclusion constituting the "women, gays, and minority news hour".

Did anyone else's textbooks do this?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Nooner posted:

I miss drawing giant dicks on all the pictures of dudes in my history books so much.

Also writing somewhere early in the book TURN TO PAGE 237 and then on 237 writing gently caress YOU!!!!

Also the classic "if you read this you are gay"

Vandalizing textbooks rules

turn to page 69

*huge swastika with BOOYAH double underlined*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

All wars were covered as 'America were the good guys and saved the dayTM' as if the other Allied nations were helpless drooling babbies and didn't do anything while America did everything. I remember arguing with other students that yes Australia was involved in WW2. They were a big part of the Pacific theater fighting. But the book only ever said 'American ships' in the Pacific theater parts.

Yeah, that was pretty much all textbooks until the end of high school in the US.

WW1 was even more pathetic: Maybe one paragraph about how the archduke was shot and everyone in Europe started shooting at each other in trenches and then a little bit more about how ~*AMERICA SHOWED UP AND SAVED THE DAY!*~.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in college whenever I met a student who came to america for the immersion part of learning a second language, no matter where they're from, they introduced themselves like "hello my name is [name] I like [hobby] and [second activity that isn't a hobby because they couldn't think of a second hobby]" and actually now that I'm thinking about it I forget what point I was going to make and I just wish that was how we really talked it seems simpler

gonna start introducing myself like that, just see how it plays
hello my name is roy I like reading and to eat food
and I'm gonna start wearing a sweater vest. that's the new me: roy

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
How about my brother's grade school textbook by A Beka books which suggests among other things:

the loch ness monster is/was real and humans and dinos hung out together

dragons were real

southern generals and soldiers fighting for the confederacy and slavery were just eccentric

90's middle school btw.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Internetjack posted:

Edit: ok, on re-read I definitely get the author questioning the need for the wall to begin with, and the neighbor's "good fences make good neighbors" is more of a regurgitated response rather than one that actually assesses a need for a wall at all. The neighbor is just thoroughly entrenched in habit. So maybe its a take on people's willingness to question or mindlessly follow tradition? Or maybe we don't know it and the author is just a huge douche bag and the neighbor just doesn't want anything to do with him, but putting the wall back together to keep the author at arms length.

Other than frost heave and hunters though, I don't see anything that implies the author was actually tearing down the wall secretly.

I agree with your interpretations - I promise my sticking point was that she flat out claimed that the Author was sabotaging it himself.

quote:

Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,
That wants it down. I could say ‘Elves’ to him,
But it’s not elves exactly, and I’d rather
He said it for himself.

She read this playfully and then explained that the Author was behind it and feigning ignorance - ostensibly the stick-in-the-mud neighbor was grumbling about rebuilding it and the Author's all "I dunno how these rocks all got knocked down, maybe it was magic?" but he couldn't suggest it because the neighbor would know it was him.

Regardless of whether or not the Author was knocking this down himself, I remember getting heated because this was the first poem in all my years of schooling that actually resonated with me. After it was assigned, I read it once and was hooked on Frost. I came to class with this memorized and can still recite it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The_Franz posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much all textbooks until the end of high school in the US.

WW1 was even more pathetic: Maybe one paragraph about how the archduke was shot and everyone in Europe started shooting at each other in trenches and then a little bit more about how ~*AMERICA SHOWED UP AND SAVED THE DAY!*~.

I almost brought that up in my post, lol. 'This war started because a guy got shot. Europe was a mess or whatever, but America was sitting pretty! But then the Lusitania happened. America swept in and won because they are the biggest and strongestTM (never mind they entered the war two years after the Lusitania).

Also with WW2, aside from FDR, Churchill was pretty much described as the only other non-pussy leader. Oh I could go on about the war history stuff in textbooks. The only time we didn't sit through 'USA #1 best!' was when we were learning about the Vietnam War, because our teacher was a veteran that was incredibly embittered about his experience after getting drafted.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember a lot my history textbooks ended every chapter with "here's what the gays, women, and minorities were doing".

Let's say the chapter was about, oh, United States history right after the Revolution. The chapter would go over the internal politics, some famous names and places, and some stuff about the constitution probably. Then at the end to conclude would be exactly three paragraphs, one for some stuff women were doing, one for some stuff minorities were doing, and one for some stuff gays were doing, or legislation/events/whatever that primarily affected them.

Same thing no matter the time period. Napleon's rise in Europe? Ready a whole chapter about Napoleon, the wars, the politics, the Continental System, all that. Then wrap it with a three paragraph conclusion constituting the "women, gays, and minority news hour".

Did anyone else's textbooks do this?
wow no

for women I think we learned about Amelia Earhart, Susan B Anthony, Rosie the Riveter, and Seneca Falls

for black history, we had black history month, where we basically just covered Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson, and Muhammad Ali, every single year. I was in college before I formally learned about any black person ever doing anything besides sports and fighting their own oppression

I don't think I even knew gays had existed prior to the 1970's until I was out of high school. we knew the ancient greeks hosed around but it was presented as, like, the classical antiquity equivalent of bros being bros

Cubone
May 26, 2011

oh and Sojourner Truth

loving hell
we were taught about her with the insanely racist, southern slave patois """transcription""" of her untitled speech at the 1851 Women's Convention that actually came from some white dude misremembering it a decade later, presented as her own words

I didn't even learn that that wasn't the case in a school, I googled it after some goon jokingly used it as a point of comparison to people misremembering Will Smith's pronunciation of "welcome to Earth" in Independence Day

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

State of Alabama mandated "Evolution is just a theory" sticker inserted into all the science text books.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It was a white lady who wrote the gross minstrel show version. She wrote it to campaign for universal voting rights so at least her heart was in the right place, but still yikes that that’s the version they teach kids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Dana_Barker_Gage?wprov=sfti1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My physics textbook said you weren't allowed to ask questions that begin with "why", because then you instantly transform into a philosopher (bad) :thunk:

Why would I turn into a philosopher tho???

*POOF*

Ergo sum, op. Ergo sum :hmmyes: