Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did 1400 miles to vegas in the driver's seat in around 18 hours, got there at 6am, couldn't check in to the hotel, so drove out to the hoover dam and back.

ended up around 1500 miles total in 20 hours.

Took turns driving on the way back up the coast.

Rental company was not amused, and stopped letting their cars leave canada.

e: that cost $170 for 8 days in am impala. the price is nearly double that now :(

amazingly, i still remember the budget costco coupon code

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Longest i did driving was Orlando to Atlanta (and back a few days later), about 500 miles each way over about 12 hours. Carrying 4 drum corps dorks with instruments and luggage in a Ford Taurus with dvds playing in the backseat the whole way makes it a lot more of a slog than the 40mph average speed implies.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It was technically 29 hours, but 1600 miles in one sitting is the longest and farthest I've ever gone. Chicago to key west

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elviscat posted:

But 1100/16=70ishMPH which is a reasonable speed, how fast do you go on road trips?

I'm dumb and head math'd wrong.

1800 / 24 = 75 yeah that sounds about right actually...
Considering stops for gas and redbull maybe 21-22 hours of riding? That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 80+ mph average so that sounds about right.

I know that driving to Texas I was pulling a trailer so I didn't really go much over 70 most of the time, but I also got on the highway, got up to 70, and stayed there for almost 400 miles until it was time for gas again.
Wash, rinse, repeat, and a few tanks of gas later I've got In-N-Out in one hand and Culver's in the other.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I lost the spreadsheet for that trip, but it was april 09 when vegas was hurting hard. It was $170 for the rental, under $300 overall for gas, then the hotels were like $50/60 a night with unlimited buffet, and unlimited drinks at the one for 2 days, which turned into basically a 48 hour binge. It was under $500/person for the whole thing

By the end of it, all we wanted to do was get out of vegas asap. unlimited buffet and drinks sounds good, but is very not.

this chat has me itching again, and i see VIA rail has 2 months unlimited travel for $1080. It's minimum 3 days, 8 hours to Montreal from here by rail.

e: ooh, it includes churchill.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
AI Goon Meet: VEGAS BABY!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tremek posted:

All I get out of these experiences is that even in nice luxury cars this kind of distance driving is fatiguing, and the motorcyclist idiots that do Iron Butt competitions etc. are obviously hopped up on crank and dangerously stupid.

The Iton Butt association recommends that riders use no substance whatsoever, including caffeine!

I did 6000 miles on a bike recently, but I've learned my limits over the years, around 12 hours, even with stops and rest and whatnot, the mental fatigue starts to set in and I'm no safe. This could be 300 miles (NE backroads) or 800 miles (Texas)

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have done Detroit to Orlando straight through, more times than I’d like to count. Its about 1,200 miles and we can do it in less than 24 hours with stops for meals, fueling, and peeing.

My wife is a teacher which means we can only go on vacation during the most expensive times to fly. It’s hard to justify the cost of 4 round trip plane tickets ahead of time, but after the trip I always say we will fly next time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Elviscat posted:

The Iton Butt association recommends that riders use no substance whatsoever, including caffeine!

I did 6000 miles on a bike recently, but I've learned my limits over the years, around 12 hours, even with stops and rest and whatnot, the mental fatigue starts to set in and I'm no safe. This could be 300 miles (NE backroads) or 800 miles (Texas)

This is really solid advice. After day 1 caffeine is really your enemy.
I think 14 hours is about the point where I reach bored-brain and need to stop unless the drive is particularly exciting or a novelty.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Worst I've done in a single sitting is doing a full day at work (leaving at 8PM) then driving 750 miles straight through to Hatteras, NC. Got there about 10AM the next day.

Don't do this - you will fall asleep at the wheel and kill yourself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lmfao, even the circus circus charges a $32/day resort fee now bringing it up to like $90/night

I think i've stayed there for like $18/night at one point

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
WE should have a meet up everyone loves Nashville these days I’ll cover the room(s) come on weirdos

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The craziest trip I've ever done was Hartford CT to Cleawater FL and back over the weekend. Left half day on Friday and was back to work on Monday. I had put a deposit on a skunk in January and started a new job in May so I couldn't really take vacation and I couldn't not get my skunk so I had no choice. My friend went with me but he had never been on an actual road trip and only drive like 7-8 hours on the way back when I just couldn't anymore. He also didn't talk to me for a couple weeks after, lol. We were driving my 87 Z28 with ttops, no interior and no ac, it was hell. When we first started somewhere in NY some girls drove by and flashed us and we were blasting music and singing along, etc. By the time we got to SC somewhere it was nothing but the drone of my flowmastered V8 and our arms turning red from the hot June sun. Worth it, that was my favorite skunk ever and I still miss her.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
1800 miles from Minneapolis MN to Portland, Or. Left at like... 5AM one day, arrived at around 8-9am the next. After that particular trip, I did it twice more with overnight stops in Montana. I definitely recommend the second way more than the first.

I've also done the Minneapolis to Colorado Springs trip quite a few times in one day. It's not bad if you get an early start. Reminds me that I miss going to the Pikes Peak Hill climb every year, it's been probably 6-7 years since I've gone.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

WE should have a meet up everyone loves Nashville these days I’ll cover the room(s) come on weirdos
Hey that's close for me, I've driving through twice in the last month.

Dumbest was probably 1k miles from Knoxville to Wisconsin for my brother's high school graduation only to turn around less than 24 hours later. Left after work Friday, got back Sunday evening then slept through my alarm Monday. I'm made that trip many times but now I make sure I have several days between.

Dad and I had planned on doing the CA to WI trip, 320i retrieval, straight through but a blizzard and closed interstates shut us down a couple hours west of Omaha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was in Seattle with my older sister when we got word that my dad was not doing well (it ended up being extreme food poisoning) so I jumped in the car and did 2200 miles in less than 48 hours.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've done Memphis to Orlando (or Orlando to Memphis, can't remember which) trading off driving and riding in a day. It's about 830ish miles and 11 hours.
The most I've done myself in a day is Norman, OK to Nashville, TN, with a detour to the Infant of Prague shrine in OK; ~700mis and 10.5 hours. I wouldn't do either one again, though.

I think I am officially an old man. Or Larry David. I have a 92qt large plastic storage tote. It's in great shape and it latches. No lid. Can't find one anywhere. No surprise I can't find one locally, the copyright on the label is from 2006. I am mildly irritated that I can't even find one online. It's a good tote that I'll end up having to toss because there's no lid! What a waste!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Richmond to Miami in exactly 12 hours, Google says 945 miles.

A day of rest and a bit of sun, then 11 hours back because I needed to be at work on Monday and I desperately needed to sleep somewhere other than a twenty year old civic.

I'm only 27 but gently caress making that trip in one day ever again.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I also got pulled over on the way down in every state but north Carolina.

God I was (am) stupid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

everdave posted:

I'm down for Nashville. Its a cool place and I've got friends there.
Gotta make a pit stop at Bass Pro Shops in Memphis though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm down so long as we get to drive some of that crazy poo poo in your driveway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I also got pulled over on the way down in every state but north Carolina.

God I was (am) stupid.

I remember driving my old f-150 absolutely everywhere bouncing off the 160kph governor. Lucky i never died/got arrested.

Traffic on highway 2, which is alberta's only real north/south highway used to flow at 150 before the sheriffs came in. It's dead straight with banked corners and there's no reason beyond stupid drivers in poorly maintained vehicles that it shouldn't be an unlimited autobahn in the summer months.

I wasn't old enough to drive through montana when they didn't have a speed limit but in ~06 i did have a cop flash his lights at me for ripping through the mountains at 150kph.

I'm old as gently caress, but if my immune system wasn't constantly trying to kill me in new and interesting ways, i would be down to drive wherever whenever for however long. I would be driving to Montreal for the Montreal GP in june if i could.

The mind is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised :(

The wallet is also uncooperative.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My max solo in a car is Memphis, TN to LA(2900km/1800mi) in 34 hours via 1983 sentra
Co drive from Chicago to SF(3400km/2100mi) in 39 hours in a 2012 wrangler
Solo moto Denver to SF(2000km/1250mi) in 2 days (nice fat break in Salt Lake city) on a ktm 950 adv.

The key to road trips is to relax and take breaks regularly. Car: 150ish miles. Moto100 ish miles. Stretch, do some road side yoga, jog in place, whatever, just MOVE for a few. 10-15 minutes will do a world of difference in munching miles. Synchronize bathroom, fuel, and eating with the breaks.

Have been to 45 states (WA, VT, NH, ME, and HI are left)at this point via 4 wheels or more, 11 via two.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I find the drive to Hawaii is probably the most difficult.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

34 hours via 1983 sentra

that does not sound enjoyable.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i drove from detroit to myrtle beach in a day once then i did detroit to tampa in a day as well

myrtle beach had better mountain views on the way than tampa did

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

perspective

It could have been an 88 Yugo

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's one of those things that is either awful, or it is your best memory from your college years.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Once drove from NYC to Cancun in an 87 Scirocco but that wasn't any kind of iron man feat. We took two weeks to do it

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's one of those things that is either awful, or it is your best memory from your college years.

Good point.
I drove a 2000 Ranger 2.5l 4 banger 5 speed with HEAVY DUTY shocks, and 235/65/17 tires through college (and eventually into a tree) and it was the best car I've ever owned.
It was not 'comfortable.'

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

4500 miles in 4 days, 9hrs. (There was about ~30 hrs of loading/rest in the middle)

800 miles were solo, the rest was co-driven.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

perspective

It could have been an 88 Yugo

had one of those too, and regularly road tripped in it across alabama/georgia/florida.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

yeup. It was awful but by no means the record winner for awful roadtrip vehicle.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm down for Nashville. Its a cool place and I've got friends there.
Gotta make a pit stop at Bass Pro Shops in Memphis though.

We should all stay at the bass pyramid it will be awesome or sad or better yet both

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So update from my traffic accident yesterday, rang this skeevy middle man claims pursuant company at behest of my colleagues, they took my details and were alright will you like to hold while we ring the other party? Sure. They were back on the phone in like 5 minutes saying they have him on record inadvertently admitting liability for the accident so now they're gonna go ahead and rinse the guy's insurance company for everything they can get away with basically. 

Also I don't lose my no claims or pay any excess lolol and they insisted my car was undriveable despite the relatively minor damage and now I have a Ford Kuga to drive around in for however long this is gonna take

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Kuga is still one of the best car names outside of maybe Starrion.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My vote goes for the Hyundai Kona due to it's Portuguese translation.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Walked out of my job on Tuesday.

Saw an interesting opportunity on Indeed and applied for it on Wednesday.

Had a phone interview for said job on Thursday.

Am gainfully employed again on Friday.

Suck it, Crappy Tire.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I’ve not played video games in ages but that call of duty trailer has my pulse racing!

For those that haven’t watched yet: https://youtu.be/bH1lHCirCGI

Cool stuff. It has single-player - already ahead of CoD:BlOps 4. Also Infinity Ward. I've generally enjoyed the campaign modes on the CoD series. I generally play Battlefield for multi = too much fiddling and equipment in CoD.
Though I've really been enjoying Prop Hunter mode on Black Ops 4, and another mode I forget the name of - it's like Kill Confirmed, but you have to take collected dog tags back to a collection point (that moves) to get the points. Pretty fun. I just learned about the Bare Bones multiplayer mode - want to try that, it's more like classic CoD/Battlefield.

Elviscat posted:

It keeps getting worse, they don't fit the profile of the wheel wells and there's this horrible gap, the fender liners don't work, so there's exposed engine and undercarriage bits, the front fender support sticks out past the new fender, and his mounting solution was to use self-tapping screws to attach them, so there's bonus holes in the body.

I tried to point out how awful these loving things are to him again, illustrating my point by sticking my finger in the gap between the molded body line and the Jeep, and he said "I don't mind that"

These things look like what would happen if you gave me a pile of sheet metal, an afternoon off work, a $99 HF mig welder, spray paint, and a couple cases of beer.

They're these things, keep in mind this is a PROMO shot of them.

E: looking at Amazon, the self-tapping screws are manufacturer supplied. There are hundreds of reviews raving about how awesome these things are, I think I just don't get "Jeep People"

I love the sharp vertical blade they've incorporated to slice your tire open at any hint of articulation. Truly a Mall Rated design.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Walked out of my job on Tuesday.

Saw an interesting opportunity on Indeed and applied for it on Wednesday.

Had a phone interview for said job on Thursday.

Am gainfully employed again on Friday.

Suck it, Crappy Tire.

Rock on, dude! :yotj:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

everdave posted:

We should all stay at the bass pyramid it will be awesome or sad or better yet both

I literally live down the street. It is awesome, whether or not more goons will make it sad or both really depends on said goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

I literally live down the street. It is awesome, whether or not more goons will make it sad or both really depends on said goons.

Lets do this