Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I moved from central IL to a bit west of Portland which is about 2,100 miles. I budgeted two days and planned on splitting it about it half. Unfortunately I only made it ~450 miles to Lincoln Nebraska before I had to stop due to a Blizzard. It was still pretty bad out in the morning and it took something like 6 hours to get 200 some miles west and escape the weather. I decided to make up as much time as I could and just sleep at a rest stop when needed. I made it to Idaho before I started getting tired but washing my face and organzing my car so I could sleep woke me up enough (and I couldn't get even slightly comfortable) that I couldn't sleep so I just continued on. Just inside the Oregon border I got into another blizzard and the 50 or so miles through the mountains took several hours. Things only improved a bit for the next ~200 miles until I get to Portland. I arrived on time but the 1,600 miles that should have taken less than 24 hours ended up taking like 32 hours.

Overall, 3/10 trip (the views in Wyoming before the sun went down made up for a lot) but I no longer live in the midwest so it was all worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tremek posted:

I did LAX to Albuquerque last week in one day bringing the Merc home (~850 miles? - did the last 400+ to Denver the next day) and remembered/reminded myself how much that sucks. I have done Reno to Denver a bunch of times in one shot too.

All I get out of these experiences is that even in nice luxury cars this kind of distance driving is fatiguing, and the motorcyclist idiots that do Iron Butt competitions etc. are obviously hopped up on crank and dangerously stupid.

PS: averaging 70 mph is hauling. Consider that your speed of 0 while filling gas, peeing, stretching, eating, etc is always dragging your average down. 70mph avg over a long distance means you were doing extra-legal speeds nearly the entire time anywhere in the US, ask me how I know:

:hf: Phoenix to LA including two stops for gas.

My most epic solo single-session was when I was about 25, from Chicago to Phoenix in an '85 Volvo 240, stopped to try and sleep on a quiet on-ramp at one point and just couldn't so I pressed on with the windows open and pounding Mt Dew. 1750 miles. Would not recommend, did not average 80mph. Probably didn't even hit 80mph once.

Then on the way back, the car broke down outside Bumblefuck, Oklahoma, population 1000, and some seriously country boys were able to fix it for me despite that not exactly being Volvo country in the mid 90's, and here's the best part: THEY TOOK A CHECK.

I wish I remembered what town it was/what the name of the shop was, because those guys were heroes. One extremely skeevy motel, one grocery store, one drive-in restaurant. No Volvo dealerships, I have no idea where they sourced parts to fix it overnight. I still have that car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I guess it might not be a solo trip, but Orlando to Valentine was about 1800 miles, and I drove that trip 3 times.
Though it was with a partner driving every time, it was more or less non-stop. Took a bit over 24 hours or so, each time.

First time was in 1993 G20 conversion van, which even though it was an absolute disaster of a van, I still miss sometimes
Second time was in a 200? GMC truck, which was, uh, significantly nicer. :v: Though that trip was had a hotel stop involved

Then driving from Orlando to Silverthorne, CO was about 1900 miles. Again, had a co-driver then, but we still did it non-stop over the course of about 2 days.
Then after a night in a hotel a straight drive from there to Las Vegas.

Also did Las Vegas to Portland in a giant diesel moving van. 20 hours, 970 miles, and slow as gently caress going up any hills.

There was also the 4 day Greyhound trip from Nebraska to Orlando, which was its own special level of hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So serious question. 2004 Corolla LE that's been parked for almost 3 years according to Carfax (thought it was 4, friend wasn't entirely sure.. he just parked it when he got his Prius instead of selling it). It's been moved around occasionally. He sent me a video of him starting it today and letting it get up to temp, it surprisingly starts and runs fine despite the ancient gas. No CEL, but it was last started over a year ago (obviously the battery was completely dead), so it won't trip the CEL until it's been started a few times. But it was last smogged about 1000 miles before it got parked, so I'm pretty sure the only codes it might throw short term would be related to bad gas.

Realistically, how much poo poo is probably gonna go wrong from sitting so long? I fully expect it to need all fluids changed, new serpentine belt, new battery, and new hoses (possibly fuel pump since it has half a tank of very stale gas, I'm not sure how much of a PITA that is on these). I have a place to DIY all of the work about 15 miles from his house in Dallas, but I'll have to turn around and drive it to Austin within 48 hours. I'm guessing any oil seals will be dried out, but the 1ZZ-FE seems pretty bulletproof? And it's the automatic version, so it doesn't have the glass 5 speed that they got for that generation.

He's thrown out an offer of $1800, and said he's willing to negotiate depending what it needs to get back on the road. He's also doing owner finance with no interest, just a handshake deal to pay him when I can. It sounds a bit more attractive with the owner finance deal. His brother is the original owner, he's the second owner, and Carfax shows a lot of dealer maintenance entries. It's also been in TX since new, so no rust to deal with. Looks like all recalls are taken care of.

How stupid would I be to get this, fully expecting all rubber bits to be toast, and fully expecting it to piss oil?

edit as of next weekend I won't be driving for a living as my primary income anymore either, most days it'll just see 5-10 miles total instead of the 100+ I normally drive a day now. I'll be keeping the Saturn on standby until I'm sure the Corolla is out of maintenance debt and reliable, then I'll try to unload it on Carmax before it starts telling knock knock jokes.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the longest you all have driven in a day?

The trip from VA to Dallas, TX took me about 24 hours in my truck and that's around 1300 miles.

Northern suburb of Dallas TX to west El Paso (a couple of miles from the NM border). 651 miles door to door. Took over 18 hours because of a freak ice storm that blanketed the state, and this was before cellphones were commonplace (so my family at both ends of the trip were freaking out until I finally got to a truck stop in the middle of nowhere I-10). That's normally a 10 hour drive if I don't stop for anything but snacks and gas, and I've made it in 7 a couple of times. Adding insult to injury, my alternator started crapping out about halfway (light would come on <3k), and fully crapped out about 15 minutes from my dad's (made it to his driveway, car wouldn't start after I shut it off though). The 18 hour drive was in a 1988 Honda Accord LXi with unknown mileage; it showed 130k when I bought it. When Carfax came out a year later, I found out the last reported inspection showed 180k. In MN. So it'd been in limbo for 4 years or so; no registration renewals or anything for 4 years. The 7 hour drives were made in a 1988 Honda Accord DX (carb instead of EFI); that was WOT with a group of other cars both ways. It was telling some good knock knock jokes after the return trip, I guess it didn't like 7 hours at over 5000. :sigh:

I'd much rather do a 24 hour drive in good weather, but I'm pretty done with driving long distances now. It's so cheap to fly between El Paso and Dallas that I'd rather just drive to Dallas, spend a day or two with my mom and friends, drive to the airport, fly to El Paso and spend time with my dad, then do the reverse. If I want to stop and smell the flowers festering bathrooms, I'll do Amtrak.

The last time I drove to El Paso, it was from a different Dallas suburb, after working 10 hours doing pizza delivery (got off at 10pm instead of 5pm like I was scheduled). Got to see an amazing sunrise in the middle of the desert, and stopped to take in the view a couple of times. But that was pretty brutal. Got into town around 8am and wanted to do nothing but sleep.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Same here. I just did the second oil change on the Silverado yesterday and there are some very fine metal particles on the drain magnet. It's been ticking since I got it and some gen3s do that but I think there's something wrong in the valvetrain. Luckily I got the slightly bigger cam from larrymer and when I swap in the bigger radiator and electric fans I'll do the cam at the same time and replace all the lifters and rockers.

No magnet on this, but there were plenty of metal chunks that clung to the drain pan, and there was a bit of a metallic shimmer to what was left in the pan once I poured it into a jug.

It still SOUNDS fine aside from a slightly longer crank when it's been sitting overnight (99% sure that's the rusty/seeping fuel line; if I let the pump fully prime before cranking, it fires right up), but both mileage and power are in the toilet (the leaky fuel line is definitely contributing to mileage, but it's not leaking enough to affect power; it's damp, not dripping). Fuel trims look fine, O2 looks fine, no pending or stored codes. It's way the hell down on power; I don't think it'll be long until it's telling knock knock jokes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 1, 2019

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm down for Nashville. Its a cool place and I've got friends there.
Gotta make a pit stop at Bass Pro Shops in Memphis though.

https://twitter.com/levarburzum/status/1124195306055192577

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

STR I wouldn't give more than $1200. It's obviously worthless to him and a car without AC in Texas? I would guess it won't be much trouble once you catch up on the maintenance, you seem like that won't be an issue to you.

E: totally different but I can't find anything on the BBC about that guy that set himself on fire on the Whitehouse lawn. Every other outlet but not the BBC...

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 1, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, he did mention he's willing to negotiate depending on what it needs. If it's just the condenser like he says, I can knock that out pretty easily; just need to rent a vacuum pump (I have good gauges and a couple of cans of R134a). I absolutely will not buy it if the compressor is locked up or if feels like it's binding when spun by hand; I've done non-AC cars enough, and I don't feel like doing a full gut/replace of the AC system.

FWIW, much older salvage title corollas with a lot more miles go for about $3k here, but generally with working AC. The same generation is hard to find under $4-5k in my area with the same options (sunroof, keyless entry [probably need to buy keyfobs, but they're easy to program on that era Toyota], cruise, pw/pl/pm). IF it's just the condenser, I'm fine with $1800 (less if the tires show significant rot), but I won't know until I actually touch the compressor and try to turn it by hand.

Honestly, I'm willing to pay a little more because he's willing to do an owner finance @ 0%. The best APR I've been able to secure on my own has been 15% :stonklol: and that's with a huge down payment that I just don't have right now (more than the Corolla would cost). And the conditions of every loan I've been approved for specifically excludes anybody that drives for a living (can't use the car for that, can't prove your income using those jobs), so I'm pretty hosed there. I just started a job that doesn't require driving, but a few days into a new job and trying to get approved on a loan = :laffo:. To put it into perspective, my new employer has an employee credit union, and they turned me down for bank accounts because I just switched jobs...

He hasn't sold it more because of social anxiety (and I know him well enough to know this is an issue for him). He HATES haggling and dealing with strangers in general. Which is why he paid $8k for a salvage title high mileage Prius 3 years ago... he's been casually trying to sell it to friends off and on since he got the Prius.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 1, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Did Copenhagen-Stockholm and back in a flatbed in one very long and diesel consuming day once. I think it topped out around a 100 kph. With a buddy though. It’s about 1300km.

I remember doing about a thousand kilometers in a day driving across the US back in the late 90s. That was in a 96 Taurus.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bolind posted:

96 Taurus.

You managed 1000 miles km without it breaking down?

I'm sorry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

STR I wouldn't give more than $1200. It's obviously worthless to him and a car without AC in Texas? I would guess it won't be much trouble once you catch up on the maintenance, you seem like that won't be an issue to you.

Even that price is too strong. How many miles on it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
STR, you should check anything that's rubber. I imagine Texas heat might've dried that stuff out. I'd also check the brakes too, just in case.

How's the interior? Hopefully heat hasn't cracked the dash or anything.

This car could end up being something more reliable but I imagine for at least the first few months a lot of stuff is going to be breaking. I would anticipate a lot of stuff that you wouldn't expect to break.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

STR posted:

You managed 1000 miles km without it breaking down?

I'm sorry.

Managed, and managed well! It starting giving the owner (my girlfriend at the time) trouble a year later tho. Do note that the car was only a couple of years old at the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

STR, you should check anything that's rubber. I imagine Texas heat might've dried that stuff out. I'd also check the brakes too, just in case.

How's the interior? Hopefully heat hasn't cracked the dash or anything.

This car could end up being something more reliable but I imagine for at least the first few months a lot of stuff is going to be breaking. I would anticipate a lot of stuff that you wouldn't expect to break.

Yeah, it's just a bad idea unless you plan on going through maintenance on all the systems. Tires are a question, brakes should be factored in, all the fluids need to be changed, and you're assuming there wasn't a reason other than the A/C that it was parked... people don't park good cars for 3 years.

I bought my cheap Toyota Avalon for $800. 2 years later, I just clicked $2000 put into it, in total. And it was a daily driver at the time. There's just a lot of maintenance on old cars and STR is detail-oriented, so he's going to notice and want to fix all the things.

Edit: Is the Ion on its deathbed? I saw you had some stuff in the oil, but is there any indication of profound failure?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Down on power and metal in the oil? Yeah, she's hosed Jim.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Yep, it's time for another one, like this lovely Ion 3 that I found for STR:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/owen-sound/saturn-ion-3-coupe/1436326702?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$2000 CAD, or $1476 USD.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Ah, I didn't catch the "down on power" stuff. But look at other options than a ran-when-parked car.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Signed up for a day of an airstrip attack 3 weekends from now in Colorado Springs to find the top speed of the E63 in the half mile. For science of course.

Any recommendations on 109 octane gas?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

WE should have a meet up everyone loves Nashville these days I’ll cover the room(s) come on weirdos
Nashville was awesome. Went there for a business meeting last year and swore I'd come back with some personal time. A 3 day business meeting and NOT having meaningful time to explore and do poo poo was almost torture. I really want to go back for a few days.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Walked out of my job on Tuesday.

Saw an interesting opportunity on Indeed and applied for it on Wednesday.

Had a phone interview for said job on Thursday.

Am gainfully employed again on Friday.

Suck it, Crappy Tire.
Good for you. What is the new career?

Powershift posted:

this chat has me itching again, and i see VIA rail has 2 months unlimited travel for $1080. It's minimum 3 days, 8 hours to Montreal from here by rail.

e: ooh, it includes churchill.

I took an overnight train in a sleeper from Montreal to Halifax a couple years ago. It drat near killed me. It was miserable. It was built in the early 90s for a stillborn Chunnel route which, as seems to be the Canadian government way, bought as surplus and put into service. Much of the Via rolling stock outside of Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal is super old (some of it still in use from the 40s) and looks/feels like it. I could definitely think of better ways to spend $1K. If you're as big as I think you are, you'd probably get out whenever it comes to a stop and try and strap yourself to the tracks just to finish yourself off.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

2004 Corolla chat - they're like cockroaches and honestly it would be worth spending $100 to get a full inspection to find out as much of what is wrong with it before making a decision. My buddy that runs a bodyshop has a whole fleet of that generation Corollas that he loans to folks who can't afford rental cars.

At least locally, they're running $3500-$4000 on dealer lots and around $3000 private sale. If you can pick this one up and make the necessary repairs and stay under $3500 I think you'll have a solid car. On the A/C I guarantee you're going to need to replace the whole system if it's been run dry as long as you say it has.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I need to visit Nashville anyway, haven't seen my friends there in far too long.

STR, shame you're not closer to the east coast, the coworker I sold my XRS to wants to sell it. I guess his son wasn't comfortable with the manual, and isn't real interested in driving at all. =/

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Anyone know what this is? Spotted it in the wild yesterday and have never seen anything like this before. I think I spot an Aston Martin badge on it? From what I could tell, it was in absolutely mint condition too. Sorry for lovely pics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

early 90s Vantage Zagato. Half a million dollar car.

e: looks like dis

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 1, 2019

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

e: looks like dis

Thanks, this was killing me. I even looked at the "Heritage" page on the AM website and couldn't find anything that looked right.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

And extremely rare, especially in the wild. (Edit: Wow -- "Just 52 examples of the coupe and 37 of the convertible were built between 1986 and 1990")

In modern times, it looks like someone put a lovely body kit on a Subaru SVX.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 1, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Thanks, this was killing me. I even looked at the "Heritage" page on the AM website and couldn't find anything that looked right.

lucky you got my broke rear end brain to remember every single loving car but not remember anybody's name or anything

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It's really more of a "Alfa Romeo SZ" made love to an SVX kind of situation.

The funny thing is, one was designed by Giugiaro, one was designed by Zagato. lot of homework copying goin on.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And extremely rare, especially in the wild. (Edit: Wow -- "Just 52 examples of the coupe and 37 of the convertible were built between 1986 and 1990")

I only caught a glimpse of the side profile as I drove past (he pulled out behind me) but that was my thought as well. Possibly because I have two SVXes of my own rotting away in my driveway at the moment. But I dismissed it almost immediately because this was FAR too nice to be some lovely kit. No idea it was that rare, but checks out. I've definitely never seen one before.

e: I have no idea how people actually drive stuff like that on public roads, where you're one texting idiot away from destroying it. I'd be terrified to even touch it if it were mine.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 1, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They have Haggerty or whatever. If they crash it, they'll get a huge payday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

They have Haggerty or whatever. If they crash it, they'll get a huge payday.

imagine someone with american style $25k liability rear ending that beast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's why the insurance on them is so expensive. The company knows they aren't going to get their money back regardless of fault.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*reads thread title*
*checks calendar*

So now the game is to avoid making a new thread? I can't keep up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

*reads thread title*
*checks calendar*

being the OP of a monthly thread is really a shameful thing.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Dagen H posted:

*reads thread title*
*checks calendar*

He who smelt it, delt it

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890943&pagenumber=1#lastpost

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

being the OP of a monthly thread is really a shameful thing.

Shameful.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Shameful.

I have no shame.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Main thing STR is places that get pressure will start leaking or be dried out. Look for brake fluid getting on wheels if you buy it nothing very much $ but it happens most of the time

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

lucky you got my broke rear end brain to remember every single loving car but not remember anybody's name or anything

Lol this is me too, cannot remember people's names for poo poo

I could tell you the entire roster of the '97 Green Bay Packers tho I don't get it :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Sitting for 3 years probably isn't a lot on a modernish car like that Corolla since rubbers and seals are made of much better materials than say mid 90s and older. I mean it is a Toyota but still I doubt it's going to be blowing rear main seals and stuff right away. Gas, tires and belts definitely and all the coolant hoses can be checked easily by squeezing them. New fluids for sure.

If you can get it for around 1000 and put 1000 into it you'd have a great runner for a long time with the new job not driving all day.

Only thing that comes to mind was that the vintage of the yota 4s burning oil and ruining cats? I remember one of my tdi buddies saying something about that but don't recall the years affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh this is a fun game!
What's the longest you all have driven in a day?

I'll go first:
The trip from VA to Dallas, TX took me about 24 hours in my truck and that's around 1300 miles.
BUT I managed to thrash 1800 miles of VA, MD, PA, and WV pavement on my CBR600 F3 in a single 24 hour run.

1250 miles, 99% of it on I-35. Minneapolis to San Antonio in a straight shot, in a 1994 Cavalier Z24.

I wanted to die by Oklahoma City. 20 hours.