Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Hi. This is me. I do Viking Reenactment, with live steel combat. Just this last weekend, one of the biggest events in the nation took place in Missouri at a place called Ravensborg, and it was an absolute blast.

We do a whole lot of group battles here, and you can do fights on your own if you wish. Most of the stuff is either gotten from warehouses that stock this kind of stuff, or people craft stuff on their own as well.

There were apparently about 300 reenactors on site including non-combatants, of which I felt like there were equally as many. I met a lot of people out there from just about all walks of life, from a guy who lives out of his truck to a Professional Wrestler for the WWE.

This is where I slept during my time there. It's pretty drafty, but I had a pretty large sheep skin to wrap myself in, so it wasn't all that bad.

The outside of the fort. All of this was built up over years of dedication, and thanks to the generosity of all those involved, admittance is absolutely free, with a feast included as well. Participants are encouraged to donate to the benefit auction near the end of Saturday, though.

Most everyone else was out in the camps surrounding the fort, though, and I spent most of my time hanging out with my crew out here.

In terms of crafts, you get quite literally everything, with jewelry, smithing, weaving, a special kind of crocheting called nålbinding that uses one needle that I am gonna learn to do one of these days I swear, woodworking..... The list goes on.

If anyone else out there does reenactment as a hobby, speak out, though I don't expect to see many other viking folks around. Go ahead and post your projects too I guess, I got a shield that I am working on atm.

fishception fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Checking in as a fellow reenactor. I do Soviet WW2 and colonist American War for Independence.

I used to do WW2 British Airlanding, but there are no events in this region, and I'm probably going to sell off my kit for that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm friends with a bunch of war of the roses reenactors, they always look like they have a blast.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Oh hey a reenactment thread! I still do that, primarily as the squad leader for our club's British section, representing the King's Own Malta Regiment, 1st Battalion. Although we occasionally do Durham Light Infantry, of varying battalions, as they've fought on pretty much every front.

Here's a few of us and our vehicles in Normandy last year;

My pride and joy; a first contract Matchless G3L. Drove over 500kms in France with only minimal acting up.+

Some of my squaddies, I am on the far left coordinating the mortar team; Mortar itself is a replica of a 3-inch mortar, and uses 12Gauge blanks, which we custom load.

Also my dear friend (and leader of the German section) and I have formed a company that specializes in reproducing stuff for museums and reenactors. We also have made some unusual blank firing devices for both film and reenactments. So here's a shameless plug at what we been up to.

(Hooo boy, that grenade model on the far left... Was made for us by a third party. I quickly took over development and the one in the center is my handywork)

(Some rare and unusual bits, early K98 Grenade Launchers)

(And the metal counterparts that we are currently making)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hello. I do Thirty Years War.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Show us some o that kit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

N17R4M posted:

Show us some o that kit.
:toot:
i'm on the left. i made all my clothing except the knit stuff. no machine sewing. italian rapier, italian dagger, polish sheath for the dagger, italian shirt (you can't see it), original pattern from jacket found in Cologne, english cap, english socks and shoes.

i like the garters--they're a nice shade of orange. i lost one a while back and have been holding one of my socks up with a length of match ever since

i went to a museum with my brigade once and they made us take our swords off at the entrance. I was pulling the baldric over my head when the docent looked at me and said "Koch mal! Das ist genau so gross wie du!" (Look at that! That sword's as big as you are!") Hegel short.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2020

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
Great, a reenacting thread! I do War of 1812 myself. It covers an interesting intersection between the frontier/ early American era, the Napoleonic Wars, and the Regency era. My group volunteers at a reconstructed fort but also travels to events throughout the Eastern United States and Canada.

I'm in the dark blue coat with red trim. 2nd United States Regiment of Artillery. We have artillery, but also serve as infantry. The guys in the green frocks are regular Regiment of Rifles, guy in the blue frock is militia.

Shade is always important when wearing several layers of wool.

My usual point of view in a battle.

Our foes (Royal Scots, I think).

One of our stock in trade, a brass six-pounder.

A six-pounder and a 5.5 inch howitzer at home in battery. We usually have enough people to man out two of these pieces, or to field one infantry platoon and still man a gun with a skeleton crew.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

khamul posted:

Great, a reenacting thread! I do War of 1812 myself. It covers an interesting intersection between the frontier/ early American era, the Napoleonic Wars, and the Regency era. My group volunteers at a reconstructed fort but also travels to events throughout the Eastern United States and Canada.
i've been wanting to do 18c, but as a Brit because I distrust the hagiography around the American rebels. Also it would be interesting to play a conscript--right now my character is stoked to be where he is and to lead his life.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

HEY GUNS posted:

i've been wanting to do 18c, but as a Brit because I distrust the hagiography around the American rebels. Also it would be interesting to play a conscript--right now my character is stoked to be where he is and to lead his life.

I'm not sure there were many conscripts at all during the American Revolution-- the Continentals, the British, even the Germans and French were all professional soldiers. Only the state militia would have been drafted for short terms of service. Rev War is still very popular in the Midwest and there are both progressive groups and very casual groups (many of the latter have probably been reenacting since the bicentennial). There's also a big longhunter/ rendezvous community and lots of people do French and Indian War. At our site (Fort Meigs, in Ohio) we used to host a F and I event but it died out. The past several years we have hosted a Rev War event along with our 1812/ timeline events. To my surprise (its not a site associated with that period at all) it attracted a decent crowd. I strictly do 1812 myself, but I know a lot of people who have several periods. There's a decent overlap between 1812 US regular forces and WWII reenacting, and I've known quite a few people who've shifted from Rev War or American Civil War to our period.

Someday I'd like to write a book exploring the different aspects of the reenacting hobby. It really covers a lot of different subcultures-- historical trekkers, Jane Austen nerds, wargamers, local history groups, National Park rangers and park employees.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

N17R4M posted:

Oh hey a reenactment thread! I still do that, primarily as the squad leader for our club's British section, representing the King's Own Malta Regiment, 1st Battalion. Although we occasionally do Durham Light Infantry, of varying battalions, as they've fought on pretty much every front.

Here's a few of us and our vehicles in Normandy last year;
[timg]https ://i.imgur.com/uYA2xQ6.jpg[/timg]

My pride and joy; a first contract Matchless G3L. Drove over 500kms in France with only minimal acting up.+
[timg]https ://i.imgur.com/7Q10y66.jpg[/timg]

Some of my squaddies, I am on the far left coordinating the mortar team; Mortar itself is a replica of a 3-inch mortar, and uses 12Gauge blanks, which we custom load.
[timg] https://i.imgur.com/kTDQi8m.jpg[/timg]

Also my dear friend (and leader of the German section) and I have formed a company that specializes in reproducing stuff for museums and reenactors. We also have made some unusual blank firing devices for both film and reenactments. So here's a shameless plug at what we been up to.

[timg]https ://i.imgur.com/TTjb7up.jpg[/timg]
(Hooo boy, that grenade model on the far left... Was made for us by a third party. I quickly took over development and the one in the center is my handywork)

(Some rare and unusual bits, early K98 Grenade Launchers)
[timg]https:// i.imgur.com/5GZBmiQ.jpg[/timg]
(And the metal counterparts that we are currently making)

I actually talked with some of you guys and got pictures when I was deployed to the Normandy 60th Anniversary. We did all of the US Army communications for the event. It was pretty sweet, we were encamped on Omaha Beach but had other installations at Utah and Pointe du Hoc. Fun fact: it’s really easy to flip a golf cart at Pointe du Hoc.

Edit: the girls in St. Mere Elise love American soldiers still.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

DIY Secret Santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Do any of you have good camping tips for re-enactors? I sometimes hit up LARPs and would like to get into the SCA, so I'm interested in nice encampment stuff that looks medieval-ish. I know SCA isn't as strict about encampments and it doesn't have to match your persona. My friends and I who plan to go together are all focusing on different areas/periods anyway, so I'm not restricted to a certain style.

I've looked at the Atlantean A&S links and Stefan's Florigelium. I'm looking both for resources and opinions/experiences with period encampments. How do you make your camp look good and medieval? Do you get all new equipment, or do you camouflage modern stuff? How do you make a bed that's warm and comfortable but also portable? TIA

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I like Tentsmiths a lot, at least for 18th century. I know they have Medieval/Renaissance though:

https://www.tentsmiths.com/product-category/shop-by-era/medieval-renaissance/

Also, for most reenactments, as long as your tent closes, you can do whatever you want inside. I usuallyuse modern sleeping bags, but then cover them up with period-correct blankets. At larger events with my family, we have cots, too. Just tie the flap so none of the public sees.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I like Tentsmiths a lot, at least for 18th century. I know they have Medieval/Renaissance though:

https://www.tentsmiths.com/product-category/shop-by-era/medieval-renaissance/

Also, for most reenactments, as long as your tent closes, you can do whatever you want inside. I usuallyuse modern sleeping bags, but then cover them up with period-correct blankets. At larger events with my family, we have cots, too. Just tie the flap so none of the public sees.

I know the rules don't care, but I'd like to have a setup that mostly fits the atmosphere as a personal preference. Thank you for the link!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Sort of relevant: For our Normandy 2 week campout, we took period-ish correct stuff, and hid everything modern in period correct storage boxes, crates, sacks etc. There was no members of the public around per say, it was for our own self satisfaction, so we didn't go 100% wartime accurate stuff, but close enough made a world of difference for us.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Yeah I’ve made a few canvas/cloth slip covers for things like an igloo cooler, it helps and it isn’t a major hassle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

impossiboobs posted:

Do any of you have good camping tips for re-enactors? I sometimes hit up LARPs and would like to get into the SCA, so I'm interested in nice encampment stuff that looks medieval-ish. I know SCA isn't as strict about encampments and it doesn't have to match your persona. My friends and I who plan to go together are all focusing on different areas/periods anyway, so I'm not restricted to a certain style.

I've looked at the Atlantean A&S links and Stefan's Florigelium. I'm looking both for resources and opinions/experiences with period encampments. How do you make your camp look good and medieval? Do you get all new equipment, or do you camouflage modern stuff? How do you make a bed that's warm and comfortable but also portable? TIA

The question for SCA camping is how hard you want to go. People aren't going to mind anachronisms (as the name of the org suggests), but you can go as far in the direction of period-looking as you want. Most people I know tried for a happy medium, a camp that's comfortable and not obviously modern from ten feet or so. That means throwing a blanket over the totes most stuff is kept in, building a chest the cooler can go in, and maybe building camp chairs instead of using the modern nylon ones.

I always used a modern tent and just stuck it back in the back of things because I was relatively broke and put all my money into garb and armor in those days, but the most common names for period-ish canvas tents are Tentsmiths as Anarcho-Commissar mentioned, Panther Primitives, and Midwest Tent. Panther has a following locally, and I really want one of their wedge tents, but haven't yet talked myself into dropping $400. Canvas is really the way to go, modern nylon tents are nice for the weight, but many don't breathe well at all and thus are miserable for long events or very hot ones.

As far as beds go: http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/furniture.htm

There's a lot of ideas out there. The biggest thing is to get yourself up off the ground, and insulate yourself from it as the ground will absolutely leech your heat. I cheat and use a layer of reflectix foil insulation between my sleeping pad and the ground these days. :D

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I might have ordered a PPSh-41 BFONG from Indianapolis Ordnance.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Ah yeah! Post photos when it arrives!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Resurrecting this dead thread for pics

My kid's first battle!

E: Oh and the PPSh thing, they ran out and canceled my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
За Родину!