Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Finally we can spend 10-20 years now planning for jungle war fighting equipment since the Middle East ones will be useless. Hey Retro Vietnam stuff time!

Oh I was tooling around looking for Prime Deals for the Washington Post (since reupping to the Economist I’ve been getting back into current affairs again) and if you have Prime you can get three months of the Post free and then it’s $5.99 a month.

Anyone know of any decent NY Times deals.

Basically I’ve lost my ability to deal with paywalls or ignoring sources using them.

Also morbid interest besides say the WSJ or Daily Telegraph are there any decent center-right Newspapers our there worth reading (cue jokes about WaPo incoming).

Christian Science Monitor and The American Conservative seem okay-ish, though the later is a magazine. Both have a fair amount of online content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly I'm willing to brush off the weird creepiness cuz he sure seems to do that to everyone which makes it more of a personal space issue than a sexual harassment issue so eh, I can live with it

but praising Cheney man? He's really aiming for the dumb american moderate crowd I guess

I dunno, seems like he does it a lot more to women and young girls than men (though he still does sometimes do it to men.)

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

There's a great Citations Needed episode on what bullshit WashPo and (especially) NYT's editorial board is, and how articles by "the editorial board" are almost universally calls for conservative inaction and the status quo or further benefits for the wealthy. Guests from FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting).

http://traffic.libsyn.com/citationsneeded/Citations_ep16_final.mp3?dest-id=542191

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Good thing McConnell has been hard at work for years to cover for poo poo exactly like this

Yeah, like that is literally the long term plan.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

colachute posted:

I agree with your sentiment and have for a while, but the CE thread for the last several months has said:

Also people have said not to impeach because it’s dumb. I said MONTHS ago to impeach and was told how stupid it was. At the very least it draws a hard line in the sand and handcuffs people to Trump if he eventually goes down for anything.

I absolutely think they should impeach the rear end in a top hat, even knowing it'll fail as soon as it reaches the senate.

That said, I have no faith in Pelosi & Co to run hearings a la Watergate where they actually have a plan to highlight the various terrible poo poo Trump has been up to because as has been mentioned before, a bunch of what Trump has been up to while corrupt as gently caress and sleazy is also probably legal and the exact same poo poo a bunch of Democrat donors engage in more competently. And trying to thread that needle of "these few things Trump did that are illegal are bad, but these other things that are corrupt as poo poo but technically legal because of deregulation we've been pushing for decades are no big deal" would come off badly to most people, I'd guess.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 8, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

How do I access this through my phone. Was digging for an RSS feed but I guess I gotta go through IHeartRadio app?

I use an app called podcast addict. Would recommend.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

Wasn't France's started largely by rural people complaining about increased petrol taxes aimed at reducing emissions?

Yes, but. It was also because they were talking about cutting taxes on corporations at the same time, and also because for decades France has invested in larger cities while cutting funding on services for more rural areas. And there was the Panama papers as well as a few high profile scandals of the very wealthy in France committing tax fraud and facing no consequences for it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

And people cared about this?

When combined with everything else, meaningfully increased price of filling up cars, and being ruled over by aloof autocratic dickheads, some apparently, yes.

I feel like most news (not just about this, and not any particular news outlet) is terrible about providing context. It's usually just 'here's a thing that happened, one guest says one thing about it, another guest says the complete opposite thing, thanks for tuning in!'. They don't talk about what happened the year before and how that led to current thing being a big deal.

You don't get mass movements based on one-off things. It's about what's been happening over time and even a lot of members may not be able to clearly articulate 'this happening led to this happening led to this happening and now we're fighting cops in the streets/real wages have been stagnant for 50 years/etc.'

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I was being sarcastic, my dude.

Sorry mang. Only the first paragraph was actually directed at you, the rest was just kind of me navel gazing.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

No worries! My sarcasm was just a comment on how our country has decided to ignore that exact problem and in fact encourage it, especially when it comes to our president.

Yeah. Honestly I feel like the French are a lot truer to America's self image of being rowdy scrappy commoners than most Americans are. :/

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

Three things in the world should never be run as businesses: schools, healthcare providers, and the government. Their only purpose is to provide a service, nothing more. If the former two aren't running at a loss, then they aren't running correctly. If the government were run correctly, you'd tax people for just as much as you spend, but that would disproportionately take money away from the rich, since, ya know, they're the ones with all the money, so that's never going to happen.

Also, any industry that acts as a local natural monopoly or oligopoly. All theoretical benefits you might get from having competition goes out the window in such cases, so there's no reason to just hand whoever manages to be king poo poo in a particular region an extra cut on top of whatever is being provided by that industry.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Dum Cumpster posted:

Off topic thank you (I think) to whoever recommended the It Could Happen Here podcast. Off to buy more ammo!

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Also makes me want to get into maker stuff as a hobby.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Huh. He lived in a moderately lovely part of town, but not really near the college. Just across the road from the base.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Anti-interventionism - the Dem establishment is still very eager to blow up problems overseas. Gabbard is ... something ... but bucking the party line on the use of force automatically makes you an anti-establishment radical according to all the "reasonable" people.

Also she endorsed Sanders last time around pretty early, which was a pretty big deal.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

You get sat down by your fundie commander and he chastises you for not valuing the life of your ectopic miracle child. Then he puts you under house arrest and tells you to pray. At trial this is considered an expression of his sincere beliefs.

In this hypothetical you're in the Air Force, I see.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Linksey Graham has always been a blood gargling chickenhawk dipshit.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Ceiling fan posted:

There's no shortage of generals who'll say yes to anything that come from higher up the chain of command.

And the ones who won't will resign/be fired until the ones that will are in charge.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

All golf courses become public parks (and plant a bunch of fruit and nut trees on them), all malls converted to affordable housing.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Well that certainly clears things up.

This is a pretty good summary. The first five min or so are commercials:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/McCain_-.mp3?dest-id=139738

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Too many Evangelical shitheads in the military. They will happily pull out their Bible and cites you some scripture about why this is a good idea.

Especially the ones that control the nukes.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

MRC48B posted:

Nah, we've been stacking the general officer ranks with yes-men (and women) for decades.

Let's burn this poo poo to the ground.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

Have you read Command & Control? Does this give you a warm (*not ionizing radiation) feeling?

Apocalyptical religious fundamentalists in control of doomsday weapons is fiiiiiiinnnneeee.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

As I understand they also pair cadets with local families as a support network thing, and a bunch of the local families that volunteer for that program are also religious fundies tied into the various local nuts (focus on the family affiliated churches, among others).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

I don't think I ever attended a religious service the entire time I was in the military.

I went to the Catholic one in Kuwait because it was closer to Lutheran (which I was raised in) than the Protestant one (which was more baptist-y) and also because the chaplain let me down the remains of the sacramental wine after the service if I helped him out. Also he was Jesuit trained and pretty interesting to talk to. When he was like "well, a lot of the Bible is really allegory" I was like "man, does the pope know you're saying this poo poo? I don't wanna get you in trouble."

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

Jesuits are usually pretty rad conversationalists, the current Pope is one and he'd probably be totally cool with it but I imagine you meant ol' Benedict or hell maybe even JP2.

Yeah, this was JP2, in '03, right as we were invading. But yeah, Jesuits do seem to be pretty decent, and I can hang with people who are down with liberation theology. Mostly I was just enjoying loving with the chaplain as an e-4. Also (lovely) booze in Kuwait.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

All the myriad reasons Joe Biden fuckin' sucks.

https://medium.com/@moon_bat/the-real-joe-biden-7e9023009dee

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Five Guys is definitely not better than In N Out. However Habit Burger certainly is. There is one a block away from my house and Door Dash delivers for like 3 dollars.

The fries at five guys are better, but the burger at in n out is definitely superior.

In n out shakes are pretty drat good too.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Xenoborg posted:

The Military Industrial Complex works the same way! Just replace Politician with Procurement Office and Lobbyist with Contractor.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

quote:

Jim Webb is a decorated Vietnam veteran, an author, a former Democratic senator, and a likely presidential candidate. Seven years ago in his book A Time to Fight, he wrote that the career military was turning into a “don’t break my rice bowl” culture, referring to an Asian phrase roughly comparable to making sure everyone gets a piece of the pie. Webb meant that ambitious officers notice how many of their mentors and predecessors move after retirement into board positions, consultancies, or operational roles with defense contractors. (Pensions now exceed preretirement pay for some very senior officers; for instance, a four-star general or admiral with 40 years of service can receive a pension of more than $237,000 a year, even if his maximum salary on active duty was $180,000.)

Webb says it would defy human nature if knowledge of the post-service prospects did not affect the way some high-ranking officers behave while in uniform, including “protecting the rice bowl” of military budgets and cultivating connections with their predecessors and their postretirement businesses. “There have always been some officers who went on to contracting jobs,” Webb, who grew up in an Air Force family, told me recently. “What’s new is the scale of the phenomenon, and its impact on the highest ranks of the military.”

Of course, the modern military advertises itself as a place where young people who have lacked the chance or money for higher education can develop valuable skills, plus earn GI Bill benefits for post-service studies. That’s good all around, and is part of the military’s perhaps unintended but certainly important role as an opportunity creator for undercredentialed Americans. Webb is talking about a different, potentially corrupting “prepare for your future” effect on the military’s best-trained, most influential careerists.
If more members of Congress or the business and media elite had had children in uniform, the United States would probably not have gone to war in Iraq.

“It is no secret that in subtle ways, many of these top leaders begin positioning themselves for their second-career employment during their final military assignments,” Webb wrote in A Time to Fight. The result, he said, is a “seamless interplay” of corporate and military interests “that threatens the integrity of defense procurement, of controversial personnel issues such as the huge ‘quasi-military’ structure [of contractors, like Blackwater and Halliburton] that has evolved in Iraq and Afghanistan, and inevitably of the balance within our national security process itself.” I heard assessments like this from many of the men and women I spoke with. The harshest ones came not from people who mistrusted the military but from those who, like Webb, had devoted much of their lives to it.

A man who worked for decades overseeing Pentagon contracts told me this past summer, “The system is based on lies and self-interest, purely toward the end of keeping money moving.” What kept the system running, he said, was that “the services get their budgets, the contractors get their deals, the congressmen get jobs in their districts, and no one who’s not part of the deal bothers to find out what is going on.”

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Wouldn't most of the now-nonexistent corn and soy have been exported?

Yeah, and domestic consumption is mostly as animal feed or ethanol. That said, corn and soy failures are indicators of wide scale climate poo poo that is ALSO loving with other crops, it's just corn and soy are the big producers so you get more visualization of "normally production is here, right now it's here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

joat mon posted:

Pretty much. GOP support in the House Judiciary committee to not impeach broke, then leading GOP Senators went to the White House and told Nixon that GOP support in the Senate to not convict had broken, then Nixon resigned.
What broke GOP support was the Supreme Court ordered release of "The Smoking Gun tape of Nixon and Haldeman discussing and planning the Watergate coverup.

Yeah, and even then you had 56 Democrats in the senate and 241 Democrats in the house, so Dems were already at 56% or so in both Chambers.