Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We actually had an FCIF for a while because of F-22 pilots and their landing gear shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Navy didn't actually want it retired anyway, it was a publicity stunt to protest carrier funding with the full knowledge that it would be blocked. This isn't the first time they've done this.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Nah they'll go for a digitized tiger stripe.

Silver lining.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bill Clinton was the first black president.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

hjow do i poo poo on a podcast

itunes reviews.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I lived in Utah when they used the firing squad in the 90s. The only people who were opposed to that method were the ones opposed to capital punishment in general. I don't think you'll find too many pro-death penalty folks who get squeamish about the firing squad. Maybe the chair, if they're actually familiar with it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Then tried to get more from that guy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BadOptics posted:

This; black looks good and is compliant with most if not all uniforms (at least for the Air Force).

Just lmao if you have an ABU pattern camo backpack; that stuff doesn't even look good and I knew as we were transitioning to them that we'd be in a new pattern within a few years.

I'm still holding onto my APECS in hopes that someone'll figure out a good way to dye it without ruining it. I hit google up about once a year. Great jacket, but gently caress you if I'm ever putting that garbage pattern on again. I'm glad the AF is switching to the same uniform as the Army and Russians.

Also, there are people who collect the Oakley stuff. I ran into a guy at the airport last month who questioned me about my backpack; he's got a couple dozen Oakley bags because he started collecting them when he was in the Army and he thought he had all of them. He started the conversation with "What year is your bag?" which was odd.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Chichevache posted:

It's pretty cool that the rhetoric here is becoming indistinguishable from the conservatives with regards to how we treat people who don't cheer for the same team we do.

This is hardly a new development. It's actually cooled down a bit recently.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:perfect:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Iran is doing to Houthis what america did to the Taliban in Afghanistan, but only super powers are allowed to do that apparently (well who is gonna stop them I guess)

You mean the Mujahadeen, I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crakkerjakk posted:

Huh. He lived in a moderately lovely part of town, but not really near the college. Just across the road from the base.

Right around the corner from the Starbucks everyone on base uses, and Tia Betty Blues. Honestly I'd have driven by it if I'd known this.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Does Iran have S-400s? Can’t recall if they bought
them.

300s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 15, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I haven't been following too closely, but did the rhetoric start spiraling up again before or after those four ships got hit? This seems to be moving fast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Senate, at least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

This poo poo is so loving stupid. It's like saying we need the Air Force to fight sky pirates, but also if it was 1870 and our best flight capability was hot air balloons.

We don't loving need a space force. Everything it could do right now is already being done by the AF.

We stumbled into solving this problem correctly, by reestablishing USSPACECOM. That's where it should stop, for at least a couple of decades. Will we have a need for a separate branch? If we live long enough, sure. Do we now, or in the foreseeable future? No.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

Did they take the John McAfee Antivirus Software off federal workstations yet?

I know he doesn’t actually run the company but I still think that’s funny.

Nope! I mentioned it to a coworker a while ago but he was unaware of the cartoon character John’s become. He straight up didn’t believe me until he wasted about half an afternoon reading up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait I thought NAFTA was good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm convinced they're not talking to anyone in uniform about this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

They drive the SA-300 missile system, that's about as top of the line as you can get for a air defense network. With that, and their interceptior force, they will successfully shoot down strike aircraft, and they will do so in large enough numbers to effectively negate American air superiority.

They'll slow our ability to gain air superiority, and we'll get a bloody nose in the air like we haven't since early in the Vietnam War. Even if our performance isn't particularly good (and I very much expect the USAF/USN would outperform their Iranian counterparts), we'd win the war of attrition in the air.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish the crash had been much worse.

There aren't too many people about whom you can honestly say the world at large would be appreciably better if they had died several years earlier.

I'm legit not trying to get people to post names, but it's kinda fun to think about.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Just... dont? Surely someone will stand up and say yo this is dumb as gently caress

Mattis left.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

As of 2003, we had the option to attend services or hang out in the dorms. There was no pushing.

OTS, same.

When I was in ROTC, it wasn't discussed at all. Now, this was at the U of U, which is BYU's rival so it kind of prides itself on not being religious, but I don't remember a single conversation that touched on religion except as a way to mock BYU.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I would like to vote for that man.

Edit: British dude, not Secretary Boeing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo that's awkward.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a chain called Fatburger. The Good Bread at least sounds appetizing.

Fake edit: Fudruckers

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Five Guys is definitely not better than In N Out. However Habit Burger certainly is. There is one a block away from my house and Door Dash delivers for like 3 dollars.

In N Out is utterly mediocre.

Edit: I still go about once a year.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 26, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ded posted:

In-and-out is good, but for a few dollars more Habit has it beat by a mile. It's pretty much the best fastfood burger you can get.

There's a Habit across the street from our In N Out. I've driven past it daily for a year, but never been.

Edit: I dunno how people go crazy for In N Out. It's good, but like the most generic burger there is. I like the animal style fries, but let's face it that's nothing special. That said, it was always a thing we'd do every TDY to Vegas, and I'm due for another visit soon.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 26, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When MJ is eventually legal at the federal level, I anticipate all kinds of growing pains and bureaucratic headaches when agencies that had JUST SAY NO practically written into their policies suddenly have to readjust.

Considering the number of agencies and politicians that still haven't caught onto such radical shifts as "black people have rights too" I wouldn't expect a speedy conclusion to the weed wars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Here's the unofficial target list.

Triangles are a 500 warhead strike, black dots are a 2000 warhead strike.

Kiss most of Montana and North Dakota goodbye in a 2000 warhead strike.

Literally everywhere I've ever lived (CONUS) is in a 500 wh strike, and most in a 2k wh strike.

Edit: Mt Weather is definitely under a few of those markers. I can't figure out what the Northern Idaho target is. I assume some kind of former missile launch site or nuke lab.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 27, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're 500 miles away, in southeastern ID. Unless they have another place up north?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's the Boundary Dam in Washington, the dot is slightly off where it should be. FFS I posted it upthread.

Sure did, I missed it.

There should be a GIP book for hosed up VA stories.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 27, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HD changed their policy a couple of years ago to make it year-round, but some stores still haven't gotten the memo. They also like to pull that "it doesn't stack on major sales" crap, which I've never run into at Lowes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mechadestroyer posted:

Disney actually released a movie about the rescue of the Pendleton a couple of years ago called The Finest Hours, it was actually a pretty good movie and I was kind of surprised that I didn't see them advertise it at all.

Seconding a good watch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ded posted:

Aren't they supposed to not do dogfighting against similar aircraft because of the problems that causes?

penis lol

No. In fact the AF is reactiving the 65th Aggressor Squadron, which will fly F-35s.

What problems are you referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

One of my coworkers today started talking unprompted about how the US should just annex Mexico because they aren’t able to govern themselves and have lots of natural resources we can take. I made up a meeting I had to go to. Is that an idea going around?

Just point out that all illegal aliens (because they're all Mexican, of course) would become American citizens.

ded posted:

Robin Olds wrote about it in his book. I can't remember the exacts but they had higher problems of incidents due to pilots trying to push the planes well past what they are supposed to do because well, they are the same plane. Also that the training value was much less due to... training against the same drat aircraft.

About 90% or more of our aerial combat training is against similar aircraft, so I would call it a non-issue at this point. Training rules are VASTLY different than they were in Olds' day. DACT is great when you can get it, but that usually involves sending a few dozen people TDY and the budget for that has been tight for the past...oh, 25 years. Unless you're traveling to an exercise/event (Red Flag, Combat Archer, supporting a school) it's rare. The only reason the F-22 wings have T-38 squadrons to fight is because it's too loving easy for them to beat up on F-15s and 16s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 1, 2019