Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maybe it's the sociologist in me but I keep harping back to the educational changes since GenX/Reagan in conjunction with the commodification of media. The narrative has changed a lot and both the people that are still desperately clinging to power and the people poised to inherit it (because nobody cheats the linear progression of time) are massively uninformed and/or misinformed.

Boomers were handed everything to them on a platter and used that cheap/free education, unions, etc. to live essentially a hedonistic lifestyle (compared to our generation) and the only way to ensure that the music keeps playing for them is to pull the ladder up and/or be racist as gently caress about who "deserves" it. They're all running out of time, but they've done enough damage that even in the best case scenarios our generation will never know the highs that theirs had. Because they still largely control the levers of power and they're easily manipulated by the media narrative (because back in the day the news would never lie!!!! as I've been told) so they're spending their twilight years sucking the marrow out of the bones of our futures either directly or by allowing it to happen when they're still in society's driver's seat.

edit: I got into a discussion about college/jobs recently with a guy I work with. He said that back in the 70s he paid for college by working part time as a waiter, a stockboy, a landscaper, and as a bank teller. I remarked that it must have been a motherfucker to do all of those jobs and still manage to study. He remarked that no, he meant he did one of those things each year for four years. Over the summer.

I told him that going to my local (state) university, living in a better-than-market rate apartment, owning my car, and living frugally would require working roughly 120 hours a week at minimum wage. Meaning that assuming I could find FOUR establishments to cover me for 30 hours a week, assuming of course that I was somehow superhuman and worked 7 days a week with hardly any sleep and everything meticulously lined up perfectly, I could graduate "self made" with no debt.

Naturally I remarked that I could drop it down to a mere 60 hours a week across two jobs if it was 15/hour and he cries bloody murder about paying more for a cup of coffee.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

if this is true, then it explains so many things

I've heard this from so, so many old people both in-person and online just reading poo poo like comments on news sites (because sometimes I'm bored at work ok) that there's probably a lot to it. So many boomers lamenting how Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather would never lie to them and so on. Because people back then understood the lines between editorial content and news content, and having sensationalist editorials and reality television on news channels (or even the base concept of a news channel, I guess) was never a factor.

edit: Like if you don't have a proper understanding of source vetting (or just take everything at face value) then man are you in for a wild loving narrative. It's practically a full time job remembering which loving billionaire owns which media source or which think tank they're funding.

edit2: and by proper source vetting I mean applying more than two brain cells together and thinking that statements from the Coalition of Coal Producers saying good things about coal might be a tiny bit biased instead of saying A SCIENTIST SAID CLEAN COAL RULES BABY

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 5, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
reminder that sean hannity had to say in court that he's a news entertainer

and then promptly not more than week later defended himself on-air as a journalist for something completely unrelated

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Let's not pretend having a media landscape completely dominated by a handful of corporate sources (even more so than it is today, and that's saying something) is all peachy either. Even if those sources were more or less factual, their framing of the conversation is itself editorializing. There was little to no widespread dissent of the idea of the United States as the crusading champion for peace and democracy throughout the Cold War and that is in no small part because of the ways news was presented to the public.

Oh no, certainly not. I'm not trying to paint certain things as necessarily better in the past, but rather as different. And it's the failure to recognize (or unwillingness to resist since they directly benefited) that things have changed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh and just to keep the ‘the boomers hosed us’ narrative going, there’s a new hotness going on with student loans. They’re offering to pay for school for a fixed percentage of your assumed future earnings. For select fields, from select schools. Which of course means that not only have they commodified your future in an actuarial table somewhere, they can double it up by securitizing that loan into a traunch.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
normal brain: trump is actually doing this because his friends have shorted various funds or whatever when he makes these call outs

galaxy brain: trump is just an idiot

universe brain: trump

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
isn't that carrier going from the atlantic to the pacific as part of a port thing, like their new home station is going to be in california

hasn't that been announced for like a year that they're doing a grand tour and they're just using it as an excuse to say there's a carrier group on the move because everyone forgot

trump

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Bolton has wanted war with Iran for 2 decades. Watch him push Trump to do something stupid.

Oh yeah absolutely. I just mean that they’re spinning it like they sent an armada just now when in reality it’s been on a planned move for the last year.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EBB posted:

who cares

a lot of people apparently

lots and lots outside of commonwealth countries too

i dont get it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I highly doubt it's going to be anything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
"People kept giving him money so clearly he's still successful"

"Amazon loses money every year"

"Every American has debt"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They don't pay taxes anymore either.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McNally posted:

Edit: Maybe 268. Do the reps from DC and the Northern Marianas count? Not sure.

Yeah, they can sponsor/cosponsor bills.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I never expected anything criminal out of the tax returns, since he's wealthy and real estate is by design a shady black hole and he's not an actual mobster. I did hope that it would destroy his narrative during the elections (oh, to be in 2016 again) but now I'll be content with him flipping a pancake over it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My favorite part is that reefer madness was founded on bad science, followed by a ban on scientific studies, then the party of anti-science and states rights lost their poo poo when states just went ahead anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean, he's not completely wrong. The stuff today is ~100x more powerful because it's been horticulturally perfected instead of a bunch of leafs, stems, and seeds thrown together.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean compared to the US he's probably not wrong.

Our most liberal politicians (that are actually elected) are maybe...centrists? center-left? in the greater european political landscape.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

a classic

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The bigger issue is that you've got plenty of people running (and getting elected in some cases) without bundling, and part of the push to the left (that the donor class HATES) is to cut out that kind of money because it'll just put you in someone's pocket.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like how every time I see it reposted it's picked up 500+ likes in the meantime. I saw it in CSPAM like, barely an hour ago.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a Marmot goretex jacket and a Columbia windbreaker. The Columbia one is ok, but it only cost 40 bucks at Dick's because someone put it in the clearance rack by mistake.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just get a bag that's black. Any of the really high quality bags will always have a black option in addition to the six different military patterns or colors.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there was a discussion to expand the public health service and basically send uniformed people on orders out to select remote places

then trump happened and the administration is pushing for huge cuts

sorry

(not sorry)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
1.6 billion isn't even enough to make that cannon that poked out the eye of the moon

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's scoring on that hull. Could be from an explosive, could be from just regular fire on a resulting impact.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
current events thread: “Balls are going to be a little lopsided,” the pilot advised.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only problem with the XBONE model was that it was too soon. Another five years or so (so almost a decade after proposed) people will be so used to SaaS leeching their every dollar that they won't put up the same fight.

edit: I mean from a project execution standpoint. It is, of course, fundamentally evil as gently caress but this is the corporate hellworld now sorry.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 14, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Adobe also is going to be charging you for canceling your subscription early, to the tune of the remaining amount. They're getting their money one way or the other, gently caress you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
wonder how many idiots think that the iranians follow the traditional arab model of command and control not realizing that persians are not arabs

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does the requirement reset over the years or just the congress? Because if it's just the congress at least this is mid-2019 and you have until January 2021 before it gets reset.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We won't realistically need a dedicated space force for two hundred years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody else immediately go 'oh gently caress here we go' when you see the text talking about a fighter jet before you read the rest of it.

I'm eagerly awaiting either an overt hostile act, or more likely pushing the Iranians into defending themselves and using that as CB.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
8/10 because he says "It's so hot in here"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Shim and I are kindred spirits under the "dudes we served under that were outstanding, but then turned into colossal pieces of poo poo oh no" category.

Though in my case, my dude got made fun of by Mattis after trying to unsuccessfully start a war with Iran and also got dunked on by Trump for looking like a beer salesman.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know who I hate more, Kirk and Shapiro or the brothers Krassenstein.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The shirtless Mueller is because they outsourced to a graphic artist in the Philippines from Fiverr that apparently does adult artwork normally.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Amusingly one of the grants he voted to defund included research into the very thing that killed him. I mean it probably wouldn’t have saved him but it’s funny to think of.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maybe it's just me never paying attention to previous presidential court cases but I would imagine if there's a lawsuit involving the President of the United-gently caress-States it gets moved to the top of the pile, and I wonder how many members of his legal team are aware of that possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So that's why the Readiness folks were all busy today.