Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DurosKlav posted:

How the hell could anyone expect to hit that.

A 97 mph knuckleball :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Spoeank posted:

Remember when you could control the pitches with the D pad on the first Ken Griffey Jr SNES game

That game ruled and I still love that Fred McGriff in that game was D.CRIME

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

https://twitter.com/killakow/status/1123768469063966721

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DurosKlav posted:

Look you just shorten up and go with the pitch it's easy and players these days are just lazy because of *spins wheel*

...their weightlifting.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DurosKlav posted:

i dont think this guy has any idea where that ball is going when it leaves his hand, and it doesnt really matter

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

lol

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I love that we have Brebbia, Gant and Hicks in our pen. :allears:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DurosKlav posted:

Looks like those dipping, sliding Greg Maddux fastballs but 10mph faster. Jesus. Ungodly stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is wonderful

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DurosKlav posted:

Don't swing

I have a feeling the one pitch would have been called a ball considering how far the catcher moved his gloved and that what the Ump saw

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DurosKlav posted:

That....... that should not be possible. That is a whiffle ball.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Good, lengthy interview with Braves radio announcer Jim Powell, who has made it very easy to not have to listen to Chip Caray, ever.

Bonus tantalizing quote:

quote:

SN: So I'm sure people ask you this all the time, but do you have a favorite Bob Uecker story?

POWELL: (laughs) Not that I can tell in a public forum.

edit: also Austin Riley hit a ball 492 feet last night: https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1123644510729322497

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 2, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
This is great

https://cuts.diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2019/2019-05/01/85818d85-f6b8be29-561ad13e-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, the Cubs are garbage and have reinstated Addison Russell.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

So, the Cubs are garbage and have reinstated Addison Russell.

It's funny that this still comes up when you google him

Unfortunately not on the actual page

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I don't condone domestic abuse but if he starts putting up all star numbers it's going to be hilarious to see people bending over backwards to praise him

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I don't condone domestic abuse but if he starts putting up all star numbers it's going to be hilarious to see people bending over backwards to praise him

Are you implying that cubs posting will somehow become even more ironic?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
:sigh: The Cubs are better off without him. It feels like they’re adding him just to spite us.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:hmmyes:

He's being optioned to AAA and the rumor is he'll probably see far more 2B than SS whenever he rejoins the Cubs, which is nice considering Javy is currently tied for most DRS at SS in MLB this year. I do wonder what the hell they're going to do with lineups though, as there's just no way to get Bote, Descalso, Zobrist, and Russell consistent AB's. It's almost like the Cubs have foisted a dumb problem on themselves for no reason that could have been solved by cutting the piece of poo poo months ago!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Don't even have to wait, plenty of Cubs fans outside of SA are already bending over backwards about how he deserves a second chance and Theo said Melissa said that she's okay with him returning to baseball so see his victims are fine now!

His standing O his first home game has already happened.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they are actively shopping him. David Bote has been quite good so far and is on a long term very team friendly deal, his bat is far better than Russells at this point. Idk what the return on Russell is at this point, but if they can get anything of value they should do it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The hearsay was that the Cubs were trying to trade him over the winter and actually had a couple teams interested, but then the story about him paying child support in quarters or whatever to one of the other women he'd had a child with and his legal team telling hers "yeah we're loving you over, what are you gonna do about it Russell's a star and you're nobody" broke and scared interested teams away (rightfully so). Maybe I'm overestimating the morality of other MLB teams but I don't see anybody trading for Russell unless he a) doesn't have any more off field issues of any kind for a decent stretch and b) shows improvement at the plate.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sydin posted:

Don't even have to wait, plenty of Cubs fans outside of SA are already bending over backwards about how he deserves a second chance and Theo said Melissa said that she's okay with him returning to baseball so see his victims are fine now!

His standing O his first home game has already happened.

Hi, I’m the idiot who reads twitter comments, and at least the vast majority of people there are just as upset as we are.

But yeah. There are people who are like “finally! We missed you! :swoon:” as if he was just on a long vacation. Assholes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You'll absolutely see that though in any situation. People still get all weepy about Jose Fernandez

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

A.J. Pollock :rip:

Verdugo should be starting anyway, at least.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Who could have foreseen the Pollock signing was stupid?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1123957795462709249

The fact that the park is like that is pretty cool:

https://qctimes.com/sports/baseball...4a2b2a6822.html

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Guys, I know we in the Midwest get defensive about competing with the coasts but this is the wrong way to try to emulate San Francisco’s park.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joey Freshwater posted:

You'll absolutely see that though in any situation. People still get all weepy about Jose Fernandez

hmm yes, savagely beating a woman, very much the same as dying in a boat crash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, does anyone have Francisco_Rodney.gif handy? I need it for reasons.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

hmm yes, savagely beating a woman, very much the same as dying in a boat crash murdering two people by driving a boat while drunk and high

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

That's super rad. Apparently they have a bridge system so that they can still play while the city around them sinks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zigmidge posted:

That's super rad. Apparently they have a bridge system so that they can still play while the city around them sinks.

And ADA compliant too.

I don't fault them though, entirely. You want a sense of normality at times, and going to a ball game is one of those ways to maintain it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lol can't even imagine being such a tedious scold

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

hmm yes, savagely beating a woman, very much the same as dying in a boat crash

Jose was driving the boat hosed up on blow and killed two other people, he was by no means a good person here

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Those Twins extensions are looking pretty good right now

Max Kepler: .271/.339/.552
Jorge Polanco: .330/.400/.613

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

Question, does anyone have Francisco_Rodney.gif handy? I need it for reasons.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

You can still play in that don't be such a baby.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Jose was driving the boat hosed up on blow and killed two other people, he was by no means a good person here

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol can't even imagine being such a tedious scold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Syndergaard with a True Pitcher Win.
Pretty solid outing: 1-0 win. 9ip, 4h, 1bb, 10k. 1/3 with a HR.