Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ikea furniture product or Death Metal band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

naem posted:

the cafeteria is fine or whatever but some ikeas have a little mini take out food zone near an entrance so you can grab ice cream or a hot dog etc, like, coffee, before you go shop

usually they also have to-go frozen/canned versions of their food there plus a register so if you really just want lingonberrys or those weird dry crackers or smoked salmon and cream cheese then you can avoid all the arguing couples in the furniture area

The one in Miami requires you to cut across the entrance and through a side door if you want access to the second food spot with the pizza and ice cream. You can’t get meatballs there, unfortunately.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lol

naem
May 29, 2011

IG-88 posted:

The one in Miami requires you to cut across the entrance and through a side door if you want access to the second food spot with the pizza and ice cream. You can’t get meatballs there, unfortunately.

my retired mom spends her days mapping out all the least expensive/most convenient ways to get food from places you don’t associate with food, bonus points for not having to enter the rest of the store or interact with people

Ikea and Costco are high on her list as are starbucks kiosks inside of grocery stores

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I love going to the Ikea but my husband hates it. :sweden: Gets grouchy and wants to rush through once we got what we came for. But there are so many useful and cute things! If I didn't buy poo poo at the Ikea all we would have is his sad bachelor stuff.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Jesus christ my ears. That was surprising.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I like that caviar cream they sell in tubes. Some ok cheap furniture if you don't buy anything wooden too.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

IG-88 posted:

IKEA furniture is fine. People just like to complain because they have no self confidence in building poo poo. If they had a little more sense of self worth they’d realize it’s actually pretty rewarding building your own stuff.

lol

I guess it's for idiots who get satisfaction for 'building' their own stuff

lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those bright and colorful glass table tops they sell are both affordable and cool! That's an ikea tip for you friendos

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

IKEA is the Tenth Circle of Hell and its founder used to be a nazi.

The meatballs are great after they stopped using horse meat, though.

naem
May 29, 2011

apt buildings in the bay area will charge tenants like, $500 an hour to reserve the freight elevator to move furniture in/out

imagine your moving truck is late and they charge you for your hour anyway then charge again when your stuff arrives. Also they charge you yet again if you want to throw furniture out so better hope you like that couch

If you slip the door man a $50 sometimes you can bring up Ikea (in the boxes) in the regular elevator when no one is looking

that way you save a $1000 bucks and if your cat pees on it or you breakup with your girlfriend you foolishly signed a lease with, you can disassemble your household and sneak it out into the dumpster in the dead of night, along with all the other overpaid tech workers who are trapped living like college students forever

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the meat balls are hella good you dumb bitch

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

naem posted:

apt buildings in the bay area will charge tenants like, $500 an hour to reserve the freight elevator to move furniture in/out

imagine your moving truck is late and they charge you for your hour anyway then charge again when your stuff arrives. Also they charge you yet again if you want to throw furniture out so better hope you like that couch

If you slip the door man a $50 sometimes you can bring up Ikea (in the boxes) in the regular elevator when no one is looking

that way you save a $1000 bucks and if your cat pees on it or you breakup with your girlfriend you foolishly signed a lease with, you can disassemble your household and sneak it out into the dumpster in the dead of night, along with all the other overpaid tech workers who are trapped living like college students forever

God drat gently caress that poo poo. I'd rather live in the blighted part of Detroit than put up with all that bullshit.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ExplodingSims posted:

But the beds the make there are the worst. Specifically the lovely slat bed thing they use instead of a box spring.

Yeah, let's have a bunch of slats that dont reach all the way across the bed and arent actually held down by anything! Brilliant!

Luckily, an impact gun and a box of self tappers solved that problem.

Sounds like Ikea just plain blows at beds because I have a Zinus slat platform bed I bought off Wayfair supporting my Leesa mattress and it's great. The slats are held down perfectly and it was the easiest thing to put together.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I'm the op, check it out:

"Wahhhh I hate stuff! Why am I so lonely?!?!!?"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

naem posted:

Why in the heck does anyone live in the Bay Area?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sorry about your agoraphobia, OP.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ikea’s bed slats are fine as long as you put in the little pegs to fix them in place

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nice meltdown, op.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you don't shop ikea backwards (ie through the checkout lines into the warehouse first)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Anyone who complains about the size of Ikea is probably a fatty. Also anyone who cares about Ikea food is a fatty.

OP is a fatty.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

The Walrus posted:

lol if you don't shop ikea backwards (ie through the checkout lines into the warehouse first)

Honestly if you’re looking to maximize your time this is what you do. Go online and find the aisle the stuff you want is in, skip the poo poo you don’t want or need.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Ikea mattresses feel like sleeping on a pile of bricks though. Way too firm and I feel bad for people who think it's normal to sleep like that.

Firm mattress is best matress, please have a better opinion

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I got a lamp from ikea that looks like the moon so I love ikea

Like, the actual moon, not some cartoony crescent or w/e.

It's really pretty you guys

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chrs Gry posted:

IKEA is a horrible experience for which I do not understand the hype. You go in for one thing but you have navigate the enormous two floor labyrinth to get to it even if you already know where it is. If you try straying off the defined path you can easily end up doubling back on yourself and having to spend even longer there.

Its obviously designed like poo poo to force you to walk past every loving thing in the building on the off chance you might buy something else as well but yet everyone I talk to loving loves it. They all go on about how fun it is to go in the little showrooms and pretend they live there (?) and talk about how fun it is to put the flat pack furniture together and refer to it as dumb poo poo like "Grown-up Lego".

Oh and I'm sorry but the meat balls are poo poo.

Op, have you ever been in a Costco? It’s actually a real business model that works it appears. You can use your cell phone or something if you are geographically challenged?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Op, have you ever been in a Costco? It’s actually a real business model that works it appears. You can use your cell phone or something if you are geographically challenged?

Also, Costco food is way better than IKEA's.

All glory to Sgt Chowdown!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Burt Sexual posted:

Or op could read the maps hanging from the ceilings of IKEA every 30ft or so to that clearly show where the shortcuts take you instead of being a complete dimwit.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
The cookies that spell out Ikea are probably 100% opium because they are beyond moreish and it's a good thing no Ikea is easily accessible by public transport for me or I would be 600lbs of stupid fatty.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I went from low tier ikea furniture as a college student to the slightly higher tier ikea furniture as a married homeowner

Welcome to the middle class of 2019 HËLŁWORŁD

naem
May 29, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

God drat gently caress that poo poo. I'd rather live in the blighted part of Detroit than put up with all that bullshit.

I’ve thought about moving back and buying a house for cash lol.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Why in the heck does anyone live in the Bay Area?

“money” there are programming type jobs here that pay $100k-ish that you can’t get elsewhere esp when starting a career.

You then pay $3000 a month ($36,000 a year) for a shoebox apt, and you might pay $30k in taxes? so you have $30k left with nothing to show for it but a room to sleep in.

Parking a car costs $400 a month downtown at an office building, plus a car payment, plus insurance/gas/etc, easily $12k a year (per car). Now you have $20k left per year. Toothpaste costs $7. They’ll tow your car at the drop of a hat, that’s $800 bucks.

Brag to a pretty girl you meet that you earn the Big Bucks and watch her interest wane over 3-6 months of dating as you step over mounds of human feces and used needles to enter/exit your college dorm looking room. You can end up living paycheck to paycheck.

You could live a better lifestyle on $50k a year in a less expensive part of the country

there are entire industries built around drawing in naive young employees, fleecing them for all they are worth, and then charging extra for the u-haul when they take their work experience elsewhere (to avoid a divorce)

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

i got 17/20 in about 30 seconds

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ikea is cool for students and starters and there is a a myth of ancient times when you where able to afford "real" stuff oneday.
Least I can still shoot a cannon at all of it after years and it stays intact. :unsmith:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

Costco is very good unlike Ikea

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
costco is actually hell on earth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I never get all the complaints about Ikea's layout. Yeah it's designed to trick you into buying more poo poo, but A. it's a company and they're there to make money and B. just make a list before hand of what you need and stick to that. I've never actually done that, but I'm not going to get mad at them for me being dumb.

The real issue with ikea is that it's just not that inexpensive for anything resembling decent quality, and then you have to put it together yourself.

ROFLburger posted:

costco is actually hell on earth

Well see now you can go straight to hell. Costco is cool and good.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ReidRansom posted:

IKEA is where young couples go to test their relationships.

A fun way to spend a public holiday is to wander around an Ikea and see how many relationships fall apart in front of you.

By the time you get to the chairs section, you should have overhead at least 4 couples sulking/snapping at each other.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Hairy Manback
Nov 2, 2016
There's one in southern MA that's magical:
Go during sunset, right as the industrial prison camp floodlights come on to highlight the Brutalist front facade of the perfectly square, looming building. All greys and dark window panes promising there is no God beyond these walls.
Make your way inside the flat empty hallways with all the colors long since sun bleached out of every surface and you'll come across the day care center that was possibly bright and cheery in the 70's, now looking like grandma's attempt to make a funeral parlor more lively with dingy mauve and purples.
Along the way meet dead-eyed young couples trudging their way through sterile showrooms looking at the same crap over and over, sometimes dragging screaming children, sometimes quietly, tensely talking among themselves. Souls trapped in the blank expanse of Purgetory.
It was beautifull.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Icochet posted:

The stores are evil yes, but their furniture is easy to assemble. All other flat pack companies usually list "mortal hatred" in the "required tools"-section of the instruction leaflet.

I put together an entire bedroom suite of furniture once that was flatpack but not ikea (think it started with a "D") using only hand tools and can confirm this

I still have the dresser from that set and while it is enormous it holds less clothes than a similarly configured malm which is physically smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shopping at ikea is like walking through a broken amusement park ride with all the lights on.