Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Timby posted:

I'm from Chicago, too, but I thought his Caray was unbelievably awful. It went beyond exaggeration to unbelievably absurd, like poo poo you'd see on RuPaul's Drag Race.

Wow. That's certainly a take. I'd ask you to explain but I don't think I want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sekhmnet posted:

I think with Baldwin's approach he's trying too hard to maintain that puckered rear end in a top hat lips thing that trump does. I way prefer the treatment that the weekend updates give to Don jr and Eric, sort of a grapes of wrath for the 1%. They seem to have stopped doing that though and it makes me sad.

Baldwin has also openly said that he isn't giving a poo poo anymore and he actively dislikes flying coast-to-coast every week or two to do SNL, so he's phoning it in now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sekhmnet posted:

I think with Baldwin's approach he's trying too hard to maintain that puckered rear end in a top hat lips thing that trump does. I way prefer the treatment that the weekend updates give to Don jr and Eric, sort of a grapes of wrath for the 1%. They seem to have stopped doing that though and it makes me sad.

Yeah, I can see that (about Baldwin). It's like, I get what he's going for, but he's going to such a clearly visible effort to maintain the facial expression that it just comes off as super-exaggerated. That's my take, anyway.

And again, taken in a vacuum, it's actually not a terrible impression. It's not perfect, but Baldwin is not an impressionist. His training is in psychiatry. I would probably still like it if I weren't beaten over the head with Real Clown Trump 5 days a week (or more!) and then once more with Fake Clown Trump every Saturday night.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anthony Atamatuik found a goldmine with his impression...too bad Baldwin got him blacklisted from TV, because The President Show has predicted almost every single Trump move. Atamatuik found the core of Trump's id, and apparently a lot of it is rooted in the physicality of his stance and demeanor. His impression was so spot-on, that clips from the show get released from time to time and people spend a few hours wondering if it's real.

Anywho, don't write it off because Baldwin is a lazy hack. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcu07Ml7HSU

If he'd said "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!" instead of "Let's roll!" at the end, it would have been the best cold-open Baldwin never did.

agreed, he's the one guy that actually nails the essence of Trump other than Tim Heidecker's On Cinema/Decker character

ultimately I think the Trump impressions suck for two reasons: one, we already live in a bad SNL sketch, the actual news is dumber than anything SNL could come up with so it's dumb to even try. two, you can't really do a funny impersonation of someone with no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I thought Chase playing Ford the way he did was intentional and exactly the point. Which is why

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should have Ego Nwodim play Trump because him being impersonated by a black woman would probably upset him more than anything else they could do.

is so brilliant. Just have her appear on camera dressed as herself, speaking normally, say "I'm Donald Trump", and then proceed to deliver the most batshit material possible, which is to say, read his transcripts verbatim.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Laterite posted:

I thought Chase playing Ford the way he did was intentional and exactly the point. Which is why

is so brilliant. Just have her appear on camera dressed as herself, speaking normally, say "I'm Donald Trump", and then proceed to deliver the most batshit material possible, which is to say, read his transcripts verbatim.

At least give her a terrible wig. And I don't mean Kristen.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
New thread going up soon, hopefully tonight yet

In the meantime here is uh trivia i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5w_5KGSqQ

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

New thread going up soon, hopefully tonight yet

In the meantime here is uh trivia i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5w_5KGSqQ

And here I always thought they were saying that they were mild and LAZY guys!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have never seen the real Michael Wolff, but I do enjoy Armisen's take.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fred Armisen only has like 2 voices even though he has a sketch comedy show where he plays half the characters.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sekhmnet posted:

i think it's really hilarious that they apparently got the two of them backwards, where Eric is the one who tries to keep his head down, just run the company and don't actively seek out people to say dumb poo poo to, whereas i cannot believe that DJTJr knows how to tie his shoes without someone's help.

Apparently junior thinks it's hilarious because he's not the dumb one, and has actually offered to cameo on the show because of this.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The problem with the impressions aren't the impressions themselves. It's that SNL as an institution has no interest in doing any actual critique of who these people are or taking any sort of stand, making them so inoffensive that some of these presidents even showed up on the show alongside whoever was imitating them. If the person you're making fun of feels comfortable appearing on the show with you, you're not critiquing them or parodying them or anything like that. You're just putting on some makeup and doing a funny voice.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

stratofarius posted:

The problem with the impressions aren't the impressions themselves. It's that SNL as an institution has no interest in doing any actual critique of who these people are or taking any sort of stand, making them so inoffensive that some of these presidents even showed up on the show alongside whoever was imitating them. If the person you're making fun of feels comfortable appearing on the show with you, you're not critiquing them or parodying them or anything like that. You're just putting on some makeup and doing a funny voice.

Pretend I found and posted the pic of Trump flanked by impressions, not feeling the least bit diminished.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heidi Gardner and Chris Redd have been promoted from featured players to repertory.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1176617982061109248

:toot:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chris Redd is like a funnier Martin Lawrence.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GreenNight posted:

Chris Redd is like a funnier Martin Lawrence.

That's not exactly a high bar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Literally the post above yours.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Literally the post above yours.

Yeah, but you didn't include the Tweet.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Heidi Gardner and Chris Redd are being promoted to full repertory status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKHFjtb8uM

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

Heidi Gardner and Chris Redd are being promoted to full repertory status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKHFjtb8uM
Chris is alright, but I can't stand Heidi Gardner at all. All of her characters have this one nasally, quivering/insane voice that drives me up the wall.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Heidi has been the best part of the show for me since she joined.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, my wife and I both enjoy Heidi a lot. Her Instagram influencer reminds me of the students we teach, so that always cracks us up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

tarlibone posted:

Strictly speaking, Carvey's Bush, Hartman's Reagan, and Ferrell's Bush Light were not that good as impressions/impersonations. They just picked a few mannerisms or speech patterns, magnified them to the point of caricature, and then went with that. I think we remember them as being great because 1) they were pretty much all we had at the time other than Rich Little's "comical" offerings and other one-off, not-commonly-seen, more serious takes; and 2) they were not overused, but were still seen often, especially in reruns, especially once the show was syndicated and hour-long episodes started airing on Comedy Central and the like. So, on the first run, we saw them just often enough, then we had them drilled into our memories in reruns, and we liked them then, so we like them now.

But, when I watch these things now, I'm struck by just how off they are. They're caricatures, not impersonations/impressions. They're still funny, but I don't think it's fair to compare them to the more serious impersonations we get now.

Hartman's Clinton bucked this trend, possibly because there was nothing really remarkable about his mannerisms or speech patterns, other than his slight southern drawl. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not. But, by the time we got to Obama, it was definitely being done seriously. Pharaoh knocked it out of the park, I didn't think Armisen did too badly, mild blackface (honeyface? I found that on google!) aside. Still, though, it wasn't overused. I think we got just enough Obama, even if it was a straight-up, fairly convincing impression instead of a silly caricature.

The Trump thing, though, is not great. Baldwin is trying to do both at once. Vocally, he's trying to nail it as accurately as possible, and he's actually doing OK in my opinion. Physically, though, he's doing a caricature, with his face contorted so much that it's actually hard to watch. I can't tell if he's doing the face badly on purpose or not. The biggest sin, though, is that it seems to start every single episode. Since Trump and his actions are inherently unrealistic at the best of times, when it's repeated at the end of nearly every week, I just start feeling worn out by it. Worn out in a way that Carvey's Bush never made me feel.

(And for fun, google up some stuff about Armisen's Obama imperssion. I found defenses for the routine from a myriad of sources, including Newsweek from 11 years ago. It's funny, then, how SNL went full-bore on "IT'S NEVER BEEN OK!!!!" last season without addressing how they were doing it just a decade prior.)

that's what i was saying. they exaggerated actual characteristics in a funny way even if it wasn't accurate to reality. there were jokes. baldwin just recites tweets word-for-word.

this, for example, is maybe the best political sketch snl has ever done: it creates a caricature of reagan that ran against his public image that also probably reflected private reality and put responsibility for war crimes back on his shoulders. it also runs a little long and includes an unnecessary celebrity impersonation so it's a quintessential snl sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I love that Reagan skit. Even as a kid, that was one of my favorites. I loved the doddering old man bit suddenly morphing into the hyper-competent mastermind, and Hartman does it very convincingly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I asked you guys for help on this one a while back and then it ended up being unfinished for like a year and a half and I finally got around to completing it.

Saturday Night Live: The Best Final Sketches

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Gavok posted:

I asked you guys for help on this one a while back and then it ended up being unfinished for like a year and a half and I finally got around to completing it.

this is good as hell

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

I heartily approve of this list. Only two things: The Boulevard of Broken Balls sketch was from Season 18, Episode 04: Christopher Walken, Arrested Development

And the other is the omission of Monster Trucks and Funny Cars (S22E11, David Alan Grier/Snoop Doggy Dogg)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Coroner's Office is still one of my favorites. Somehow, it goes unmentioned, but the best part is when Jeremy Renner suggest they pull the sheet back a few times so he can make a bunch of guesses, and the detective says that that's not how it works... but Bill Hader snickers and says, "I kinda wanna see what he's gonna say!"

I remember watching that when it was live, and I just about died. I still remember that scene, and that part from it. It was the perfect prelude to the most ridiculous part of one of the more ridiculous sketches ever. And mercifully, they never repeated it with a different host. They would have ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

New season, new thread!