Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Been on a big JRPG kick lately - I'm nearly finished with Persona 3 Portable and I think I might stick with the SMT theme and dive into Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga next. Is the battle system in DDS like the Press Turn system in the other SMT games? I've played some SMT4 but shamefully still haven't played Nocturne yet. Hell, here's my JRPG backlog at the moment:

SMT Nocturne
SMT Digital Devil Saga 1/2
Shadow Hearts (and Covenant)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

That's not even counting games I wanna replay or stuff that I started playing and haven't gone back to in a while. Who else is celebrating the JRPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
🤯 drat you just reminded me that emulators exist and I can finally play Nocturne. Gonna do that today

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm replaying DQ8 now, it's still one of the best games ever made

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

currently in progress: persona 5, fire emblem awakening, atelier sophie

in backlog: radiant historia, xenoblade 2 torna, FF15, xanadu next, ys origin

plus a list of like 40 others i want to play but don't already own

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I need to pick JRPGs back up, I’m sitting on a big backlog of them and made my resolution this year to get through them but after beating Ni no Kuni 2 and starting Octopath I kinda fell off. I should fire Octopath up again tonight...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
i never beat the final boss of Legend of Dragoon and it haunts me

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Watching closetowar stream the first 45 minutes of 11 hour JRPG speedruns for the last month has made me really want to play golden sun again. Gonna download it tonight, thanks for the motivation op

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently picked up a copy of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, never really had any experience with BoF games but it seems cool. Also enjoy DDS OP it's a top 5 all time JRPG for me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Been playing Nocturne with pcsx2 which works a lot better than the last time I tried it. It's one of those games I couldn't afford at the time, started to play when it got a digital release on ps3, but fell off for whatever reason. Cheers

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm replaying DQ8 now, it's still one of the best games ever made

I started it for the first time earlier this week and I'm really looking forward to a compete vegetable weekend with it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

i never beat the final boss of Legend of Dragoon and it haunts me

same but FF10... I don't remember why but I just couldn't beat him and I never went back to it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

same but FF10... I don't remember why but I just couldn't beat him and I never went back to it.

The last few bosses in FFX are pretty tough actually, more than you would think

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
It’s really cool when you think about it that in 2019 you can play Final Fantasy XII on a Gameboy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jecht is one of the tougher endgame bosses in an FF game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I messed up bc I did the Ultimate Weapon Quests for a handful of characters and I one shot the final boss with an attack reels.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I never beat FFV because I was stuck on Shinryuu and then my brothers friend borrowed my cartridge and overwrote my save...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i just started Blue Dragon, can't believe this gem passed me by. Xbox stays winning

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
You don't have to beat Shinryuu to beat FFV.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Wow I had no idea the monster that pops out of a random treasure chest wasn’t part of the main story until literally right now, that’s crazy how I didn’t realize that

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I just think it would be more accurate to say you were distracted by Shinryuu, rather than stuck.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I have a crazy long backlog of JRPGs, including Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Persona and SMT titles, plus others. Right now I'm focusing on FF9 and am about to add FF10/10-2 and FF12 to the list. It's the best kind of gamer decadence to have this gaming feast waiting for me.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The fabled Imp Zone Dragon Quest Summer introduced me properly to the series and I cleared 4 and 5 at the time. It was one of the best gaming moments of my life, that summer. Thank you, Imp Zone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

The fabled Imp Zone Dragon Quest Summer introduced me properly to the series and I cleared 4 and 5 at the time. It was one of the best gaming moments of my life, that summer. Thank you, Imp Zone.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

DQ kicks rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The image of the guy in front of the computer crying thinking about sitting in front of the computer 7 years ago but both of the panels are drinking beer while playing 3DS games

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I’ve only played DQ Builder/Heroes, is dq8 a good place to start

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, then play 11. Or vice-versa, they pair well together.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's arguably the best place to start.. I think DQXI is a masterpiece but VIII is an extremely close 2nd. Either version (PS2/3ds) is good -- 3ds adds 2 new playable characters and other quality of life changes, while the PS2 version is incredible to behold, visuals/music etc., it's up to you what's easier to get a hold of.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DQ is awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat Persona 3 tonight... awesome game. I kinda want to try the Persona 2 duology, I hear they’re a lot different from the later games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They have a cool setting but the gameplay is first person dungeon crawling like the older megaten games and each encounter is painfully slow...I couldn't finish persona 1 or the first persona 2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://youtu.be/UaLv1vbIRzE

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

They have a cool setting but the gameplay is first person dungeon crawling like the older megaten games and each encounter is painfully slow...I couldn't finish persona 1 or the first persona 2

Persona 2 isnt first person

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smt4a ftw. i cant wait for dq11 switch edition so I can pour another hundred hours into that bad boy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Right in the feels

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I have been wanting to play ffviii again lately. I got about halfway done my last playthrough so I may just go at that or restart and cheese my way through.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I recently picked up a copy of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, never really had any experience with BoF games but it seems cool. Also enjoy DDS OP it's a top 5 all time JRPG for me.

I bounce off the original Breath of Fire whenever I try to play it these days, I should try the sequels at some point

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

enjoy .. its a real treasure. the only other breath of fire i like is 4

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I bounce off the original Breath of Fire whenever I try to play it these days, I should try the sequels at some point

breath of fire 1 for being the start is cool but every other game in the series is way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I liked BOF3 a lot when I was younger, it felt very comfy for some reason