Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So in 1941-1942 some dudes made a bunch of Superman cartoon shorts, all of which are public domain

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djwgODXqIro

Or if you want to waste Amazon's bandwidth they stream the episodes for Prime members:
The Complete Superman Collection

These cartoons are an interesting dichotomy of really good hand-drawn animation that tries to take the subject of Superman pretty seriously mixed with some crazy Tex Avery cartoon shenanigans, such as an episode with a frozen dinosaur (?) that looks like a giant cartoon dragon, and a cartoon vulture making goofy facial expressions. And you may also notice that the title states that Superman stands for Truth and Justice, but not "the American way", because this was long before the nationalistic zeal that came with the Cold War.

This is also a very old-fashioned Superman. No ice breath, no heat vision, no super-speed, just a brawny dude with a chiseled jaw wearing a cape. This Superman can be nearly defeated by a big rock falling on him. In some of the episodes he can't even fly, he just jumps really high. In most of the episodes he has to hire a cab to take him to whatever disaster is currently happening

And being from the 1940s they also feature all sorts of hosed up sensibilities that were considered normal at the time, such as a native american portrayed as a villain for wanting reparations because the island of Manhattan was stolen from his tribe, and Louis Lane always being a catty bitch.

These cartoons are interesting and kind of hilarious, anyway thanks for reading my suicide note, goodbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cool thread

E. Super cool thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What is Zesanactor over-5s big problem

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Warning: the more you watch, the more you turn into John K.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Good poo poo, OP. My MomMom had a vhs of all these in her basement. I haven't thought about them in twenty seven years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

this looks like a job for superman

*builds a japanese internment camp*

he built that entire camp in just one night! Superman you're amazing!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Sorry, I can't right now

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Matlack Radio posted:

Good poo poo, OP. My MomMom had a vhs of all these in her basement. I haven't thought about them in twenty seven years.

Where can you buy one of these?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I grew up watching these in the ball pit of the local IKEA while my mom did whatever people do in an IKEA when they get too old to watch Superman cartoons.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

These are legendary for being some of the highest quality rotoscope animation ever made and also for bankrupting the studio.

Seriously they built sets and hired actors and shot all of this as live action and then traced over it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also supes solves the trolley problem at 23:50

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Matlack Radio posted:

"WASHINGTON! HITLER! WASHINGTON! HITLER!"

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

These are legendary for being some of the highest quality rotoscope animation ever made and also for bankrupting the studio.

Seriously they built sets and hired actors and shot all of this as live action and then traced over it.

this feels like when you try to cheat but end up putting in more energy than if you had just done it the proper way

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nastyman posted:

I grew up watching these in the ball pit of the local IKEA while my mom did whatever people do in an IKEA when they get too old to watch Superman cartoons.

So which deparment manager was your mom getting some from? Storage? Home office?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
pretty crazy attention to simulated lighting and shadow (i guess you call some of this shading?)

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 5, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The first episode had a budget of $50,000 1940 dollars, equivalent to $908,000 today.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

That owns

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The one where superman flies around japan murdering japanese soldiers is pretty funny too

At one point he's trying to blow up a ship in drydock but fucks up and gets trapped under a bunch of steel beams lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I remember catching the old B&W live action Superman and whenever he flew, he'd go behind some piece of scenery and an animated Superman would fly up and away.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

QuarkJets posted:

At one point he's trying to blow up a ship in drydock but fucks up and gets trapped under a bunch of steel beams lol

He couldn't melt them? :smugbert:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harveygod posted:

He couldn't melt them? :smugbert:

1940s superman didn't have that power, he often couldn't even fly

Also heat vision can't melt steel beams, watch this 90 minute youtube video:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Why did Superman punch the laser into submission instead of just getting out of the way

Why didn't Lois Lane just call the police and say "the scientist who lives on the overlook wrote a letter threatening to laser people to death"

Why did the scientist have a mohawk

:lol: at superman walking into a broom closet in the same room as his colleagues to change clothes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

why is superman scared of lava

ow my versimilitude

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

And being from the 1940s they also feature all sorts of hosed up sensibilities that were considered normal at the time, such as a native american portrayed as a villain for wanting reparations because the island of Manhattan was stolen from his tribe,

jesus

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Superman loving up Imperial Japan is p. rad, OP

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Cool thread but suicide isn't a joke op. It's actually a very serious solution for people with no escape from their own hellish reality. For instance people that bankrupt film studios because Superman stories are actually unprofitable. The merchandise is where it's at for Supes

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I liked the comic where Supes beats up Hitler and Stalin both within five minutes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Lois Lane is a kick rear end woman

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some guy was watching a fleischer superman in the wire one episode. I think it was the one with the robot

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yah. she plays the conventional genre role of kidnapped love object. but she's pretty spunky while doing so, flying airplanes, giving the villains sass, shooting tommy guns, getting all the front page stories, etc. no 21st century feminist twitter required for this kind of character writing.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 6, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

yah. she plays the conventional genre role of kidnapped love object. but she's pretty spunky while doing so, flying airplanes, giving the villains sass, shooting tommy guns, getting all the front page stories, etc. no 21st century feminist twitter required for this kind of character writing.

lois don't take no poo poo from nobody. She's gonna get her story

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

She's awesome in a lot of ways but she is also portrayed as a catty bitch in others, like when she straight-up just steals Clark's lift ticket when they were going to report on a volcano together. And there are a bunch of times where something is exploding and while everyone is fleeing for their lives Louis is like "WHAT A GREAT SCOOP I BETTER MOVE CLOSER TO THAT INFERNO" and then superman has to show up to prevent her from catching a face full of shrapnel. You already got the scoop, moving closer to the huge dinosaur isn't going to make your notebook take better notes

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The animation studio responsible is kind of a legend back from when the east coast actually had major studios. I only saw 6 of these on vhs as a kid, never knew there were so many more.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

shame on an IGA posted:

lol I watched like 5min, said to myself 'jesus fuckin Christ did they really do the whole show like this', sent the link to my boss and co-workers who do traditional animation then read the rest of the thread.

It was pretty clear to me within an instant that this was some expensive poo poo.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

The one where superman flies around japan murdering japanese soldiers is pretty funny too

these really deserve to be watched in something above 360p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjubbG_XPqg

Gaijin no match for Nippon steel as usual

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

BuckarooBanzai posted:

So which deparment manager was your mom getting some from? Storage? Home office?

layaway, you loving dweeb

you absolute fool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the one where he fights the doctor with doom laser and then gets punted around like the Torch from the Roger Corman fantastic 4

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I liked when he punched the laser beam repeatedly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Punching at a laser is something you never see anymore, they just don't make superheroes the way they used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
superman also spends a lot more time getting tangled up in power lines, getting buried under rubble, etc. there is a greater quality of human pathos in this lone, sometimes stumbling, sentinel of justice.

Zane fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 6, 2019