Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cubicle gangster posted:

lol I watched like 5min, said to myself 'jesus fuckin Christ did they really do the whole show like this', sent the link to my boss and co-workers who do traditional animation then read the rest of the thread.

It was pretty clear to me within an instant that this was some expensive poo poo.

Was pretty much the equivalent to a Pixar movie of its time, I figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I've been thinking about those cool crime cars for 30 years

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I wonder if Lois didn't at some point try to smack that smug look off Clark's face at the end of nearly every episode, and wind up breaking her hand or something.

At least we got a pretty darn good comic as a spinoff, half a century later..

https://www.gocomics.com/the-last-mechanical-monster/2017/05/24

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These Superman cartoons were the inspiration for 1990s Batman The Animated series. They wanted to do a similar designed Batman and make Gotham's value work look the same as the old cartoons.

And that's my story! Byeeeeee

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

An Ounce of Gold posted:

These Superman cartoons were the inspiration for 1990s Batman The Animated series. They wanted to do a similar designed Batman and make Gotham's value work look the same as the old cartoons.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when you listen to the intro and compare it to, say, The Grey Ghost episode.
The flow of the Batman theme, together with the way each episode had a title card and title song, were super influenced by this and old radio serials.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

My biological father gave me a VHS of these that I watched RELIGIOUSLY as a child. They weren't good. They were scary and boring! But I was thankful for what I got.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vato posted:

My biological father gave me a VHS of these that I watched RELIGIOUSLY as a child. They weren't good. They were scary and boring! But I was thankful for what I got.

Your dad sounds rad but you sound lame as hell

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your dad sounds rad but you sound lame as hell

Just goes to show, doesn't it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm also lame just not about this

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I watch these with my two year old. I get a constant "Again" after an episode ends.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

It's probably been said already but Fleischer Bros cartoons own bones. This guy, 8th Man DVD has a heap of restored, high quality cartoons from various studios, including the Superman cartoons. It's worth checking out.

This was one of my favorite old cartoons when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIwUpvf2jXY

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Linux Pirate posted:

It's probably been said already but Fleischer Bros cartoons own bones. This guy, 8th Man DVD has a heap of restored, high quality cartoons from various studios, including the Superman cartoons. It's worth checking out.

Whoah, me too. I mean, not such much "favorite" as "this was one of two kids' VHS tapes my grandma owned so I watched it incessantly."

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Where can you buy one of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/initi.jpg.html?SearchText=hello.jpg=afs

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Lois Lane is a kick rear end woman

vulgtlagln mnahn' ee

Mods, please change my name to DangerBag.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

It went like this -- Disney first, then Silly Symphonies, then Warner (I guess), then Betty Boop, then Popeye, then Superman.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Linux Pirate posted:

Dear God that's some beautiful animation. The little underworld model scene is just gorgeous.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Vato posted:

It went like this -- Disney first, then Silly Symphonies, then Warner (I guess), then Betty Boop, then Popeye, then Superman.

No denying Disney cartoons were high quality, but he treated his staff like poo poo. Going so far as to blacklist his staff as "communists" at the height of The Second Red Scare and into the era of McCarthyism.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 7, 2019

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Linux Pirate posted:

No denying Disney cartoons were high quality, but he treated his staff like poo poo. Going so far as to blacklist his staff as "communists" at the height of McCarthyism.

No, no, I know he was...like that. I meant what I wanted to watch. Doesn't matter now anyway because Disney owns everything!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Vato posted:

No, no, I know he was...like that. I meant what I wanted to watch. Doesn't matter now anyway because Disney owns everything!

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Disney's cartoons and other stuff growing up. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Linux Pirate posted:

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Disney's cartoons and other stuff growing up. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

I'll tell you something...I don't like Mickey Mouse, but that one where he kills the giant that eats pumpkins and smokes haystacks was in my mind. But a mouse?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Punching at a laser is something you never see anymore, they just don't make superheroes the way they used to

You better believe I went around punching fountain streams as a kid to re-enact that scene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

An Ounce of Gold posted:

And more obviously its sister series Superman The Animated Series too. Which grew into the whole Justice League shared cartoon universe.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I used to watch these on 8mm film when I was like 6 or 7. A friend's mom used to set up the projector in their the bathroom for some reason. It was probably because it was the darkest room in the house but it's a strange memory to look back on.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

RVWinkle posted:

I used to watch these on 8mm film when I was like 6 or 7. A friend's mom used to set up the projector in their the bathroom for some reason. It was probably because it was the darkest room in the house but it's a strange memory to look back on.

That's actually nice as long as you aren't lying.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vato posted:

I'll tell you something...I don't like Mickey Mouse, but that one where he kills the giant that eats pumpkins and smokes haystacks was in my mind. But a mouse?

He's the worst disney character off the top of my head

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's the worst disney character off the top of my head

None of them are great. You got him, Donald, and Goofy. And then Chip and Dale who were actually funny before they made a show.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I'm no Disney historian, but one of MY favorites is the one with the two hats. So sad...so sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yB7hOBAAI

Vato fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 7, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Binary Badger posted:

I wonder if Lois didn't at some point try to smack that smug look off Clark's face at the end of nearly every episode, and wind up breaking her hand or something.

That was great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vato posted:

None of them are great. You got him, Donald, and Goofy. And then Chip and Dale who were actually funny before they made a show.

Donald and goofy own. Good god

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Donald and goofy own. Good god

Listen, I love angry people who talk nonsense and dumb people who do whatever just as much as you do...I'm just saying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like when the animation moves a bit too fast for the soundtrack to keep up so they just force the orchestra to go faster for a second (because doing any more animation would cost so much drat money).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vato posted:

I'm no Disney historian, but one of MY favorites is the one with the two hats. So sad...so sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yB7hOBAAI
I've said it before, but I'll mash the BUY button so hard on Disney+ if they can give us whole episodes of The Wonderful World of Disney (complete with kaleidoscope opening) because I really, really miss those random-rear end cartoon snippets they used to run.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

clark kent is smug as hell

maybe that's just what the average male in the early 1940s was like but then all of those smug idiots were the first ones getting shipped to europe

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Disney used a lot of rotoscoping and reference shots too, btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgxAag2Y6M

They also recycled a lot of animation between movies.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

You don't say...

For real, growing up I didn't know they did this, and when I found out...I thought, 'Gee, that makes sense.' You couldn't used to ship everything off to Korea or do it on a computer or whatever. Go figure!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Binary Badger posted:

This was drat tremendous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

That was great, and DC should absolutely make it canon.

I suppose given that short's out of copyright it could be!

There is a heavily-built silhouette in glasses in the end scene...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

This is pretty cool I didn't realize so much of that beautiful animation was basically thanks to using actors

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

I'm guessing they don't show Superman beating the poo poo out of Japanese soldiers in China. Too white so if you get caught watching it, they probably lock you in the internment camps in XInjiang or something until you write enough poetry praising the CCP, huh?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would China not want people to see Superman beating up Japanese people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Vato posted:

None of them are great. You got him, Donald, and Goofy.

:goofy: