Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo, I clicked through and looked at this and had this sinking sensation, "wait a second, this seems awfully familiar" and apparently I had the issue immediately following it from some kinda blind buy bag a million years ago. Looking at it as an adult is :psyduck: as hell. Literally the only things I remember that make me 100% sure are the cover, the scene with the dingoes in the cab, and Knuckles being in like a page and a half in the background in the world's dumbest training montage. I only remember the dingoes because even as a kid I thought they were super overwrought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

I almost don't want to bother with an effort post on the history of Echidnaopolis, but I think I'll start off with like, the first Knuckles backup stories, the first miniseries, and the first three issues of his ongoing. That should basically give you the basics of how loving bungled this entire thing is.

When I was a kid I thought the Knuckles storylines were super cool and dark because they were complicated and seemed mysterious since I only had a couple random back issues of Knuckles, and they had the added bonus of no Ron Lim art. Obviously Ken Penders is a crazy person, but I think the general idea of having a more fleshed-out and interwoven story was sound even if Penders was about the least qualified person in the world to do it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This was giving me weird vague flashbacks so I looked up a cover gallery and this is kind of weirdly specifically a mashup of the covers of Knuckles #16 and 17.

The cover of 16 is by Penders himself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Robot Style posted:

This one as well:

drat it this is the one I was really thinking of, I just thought it was a Knuckles comic for some reason.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

thread giving me flashbacks to being excited for a new issue of sonic only to open it and get slapped in the face with Ron Lim art

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait. SILVER SURFER RON LIM did this? lmao

When those issues came out I was like in middle school and it still managed to be obviously insultingly phoned-in to my idiot Sonic-comic-buying child brain.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zibraltar posted:

Peak Penders Sonic > Peak SatAM cartoon Sonic. But the lows are lower.

this, i can almost - ALMOST - agree with. but this:

quote:

He's a good realism artist.

is fuckin' madness. He literally just traces celebrities!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

penders has slowly unlearned how to draw

I feel like even most of the stuff he was credited for in the Archie era was heavily fixed by Spaziante et al (which I hope I'm spelling correctly but I ain't calling him by his old moniker these days).