Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ironically, Sonic's backstory before the trailer backlash was actually closer to stuff Penders had done with Knuckles, where he was mysteriously orphaned and was basically a living chaos emerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I like the implication that Penders doesn't understand the concept of separate continuities, and thinks that anything IDW might do with his characters would impact his future plans enough to require in-story retcons. Like, does he lie awake at night trying to figure out how Garfield Eats ties into the continuity of the comic strip?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's very generous to assume Bioware was actually digging into some of the source material rather than just dusting off their standard KOTOR / Mass Effect / Dragon Age "Ancient something or other returns to cause trouble" plot and calling it a day.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Before Tyson Hesse was brought on the first movie, the prologue with Sonic's backstory had big "we Chaos microwaved the baby" energy. I don't know what they're doing for the sequel, but some of the locations in the trailer don't look dissimilar from the original setting of the first movie's prologue, so if they're reusing any of those ideas for Knuckles I could see Penders throwing a fit.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ken Penders' backstory for Knuckles is that one night when Knuckles had yet to hatch, his dad had a prophetic nightmare about Knuckles fighting a giant Robotnik mech, and decided to help his future-son by blasting his egg with Chaos Emerald energy, giving him a power boost and turning him into a living Chaos Emerald. Then he got a divorce and abandoned Knuckles in the wilderness.

So if Jeff Fowler re-uses his original "someone turned this orphan baby into the prophesied living Chaos Emerald" backstory, but gives any elements of it to Knuckles, then Ken Penders might get all "they are obviously stealing my geniouse ideas" and try to sue again.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like how Riverdale is clearly wholly divorced from Archie and just Aguirre-Sacasa playing out his fetishes and inept Twin Peaks fanfiction

I think the difference between Riverdale and the Echidna stuff is that Penders never really cared about the Sonic universe and its characters beyond their ability to act as a vehicle for his unrelated stories, while for Aguirre-Sacasa, the Archie characters are the point.

Before he got into working at Archie officially, Aguirre-Sacasa wrote a play in 2003 called "Archie's Weird Fantasy", which featured Archie coming out as gay and briefly dating real-life serial killer Nathan Leopold. Archie Comics sent him a cease & desist and made him change all the names, but neither side must have held much of a grudge because they hired him to do Afterlife With Archie and then made him CCO of the company.

Aguirre-Sacasa seems to be more a case of an inmate running the asylum, while Penders is more like JJ Abrams doing Star Trek - he never really cared about the property itself, so decided to use it as a way to make a Star Wars movie instead.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

This was giving me weird vague flashbacks so I looked up a cover gallery and this is kind of weirdly specifically a mashup of the covers of Knuckles #16 and 17.

The cover of 16 is by Penders himself.

This one as well:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I guess we know what parts of an image Ken likes to focus on...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1647522519921065985?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

His son was one of the kids in the Sonic Live comic, using a television remote as a controller because they didn't actually have a Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well, his Kirk looks a bit more like Steve Buscemi than William Shatner...