Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yeah, that show is pretty great

not enough

True that. I’ve heard between 2% and 11% depending on how you count it. That’s poo poo. I think even that was tried to be eliminated by an unnamed person who hates media that doesn’t suck his dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's me ira glass, whatup

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Do it ironically posted:

I am fairly sure you are dead

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Call in shows combine the intelligence of fb comment sections with the thrill of listening to the radio

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sweet thursday posted:

Call in shows combine the intelligence of fb comment sections with the thrill of listening to the radio

I would agree with you, but I don't think the FB comment section can use a touch tone phone

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

How much of their budget comes from public funding?
So here's how this works: The federal government gives money to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The CPB is a public-private partnership that distributes that money as grants to public radio and TV stations. Most of that goes to local public television stations, then to PBS, then to NPR, then to local public radio stations. That should be in descending order unless some stuff as changed. That's why you see more mentions of CPB on PBS than you hear on NPR. Then NPR gets funding from its own programs, underwriters, ad revenue online, and donations. Local public radio services are even more donation-dependent, as only about 3-4 percent of their funding actually comes from the federal government. Hence why so many are public radio services associated with universities.

If you do decide to donate to public radio or TV, donate locally rather than to the national orgs., because your donation will make a much bigger difference in your own community. Both your local PBS-carrying and local NPR-carrying services and stations could use the money, so go with whichever you're getting more use out of.

tl;dr PBS gets a fair chunk from the feds, NPR less, and the local TV and radio you're tuning into even less than that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

So here's how this works: The federal government gives money to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The CPB is a public-private partnership that distributes that money as grants to public radio and TV stations. Most of that goes to local public television stations, then to PBS, then to NPR, then to local public radio stations. That should be in descending order unless some stuff as changed. That's why you see more mentions of CPB on PBS than you hear on NPR. Then NPR gets funding from its own programs, underwriters, ad revenue online, and donations. Local public radio services are even more donation-dependent, as only about 3-4 percent of their funding actually comes from the federal government. Hence why so many are public radio services associated with universities.

If you do decide to donate to public radio or TV, donate locally rather than to the national orgs., because your donation will make a much bigger difference in your own community. Both your local PBS-carrying and local NPR-carrying services and stations could use the money, so go with whichever you're getting more use out of.

tl;dr PBS gets a fair chunk from the feds, NPR less, and the local TV and radio you're tuning into even less than that

on the east coast it is basically boston and Whyy. Give money to your local radio

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is somebody having their way with words?

who on earth would think raping words is OK??

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
That’s good advice and info. They have twice yearly fundraisers here, very annoying for a week, but understood.

I actually enjoy the BBC newsfeed NPR carries on the radio at night time when I go to bed as well.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

on the east coast it is basically boston and Whyy. Give money to your local radio

These guys syndicate, or whatever npr does, their shows across the nation. Good ones too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
whos that NPR correspondent with that hilarious lisp

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I listen to probably the oldest morning show ever. Preston and Steve. When they are done I usually listen to NPR

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

These guys syndicate, or whatever npr does, their shows across the nation. Good ones too.
Yeah, a lot of the large local stations do. Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, a bunch of the California ones. Plus there are other national public media organizations like American Public Media, Public Radio Exchange, CPB, and non-American ones like BBC and CBC, all of whom syndicate major shows. It's an amazing revenue source if you can afford it.

One of the things that makes NPR's structure so interesting, and lets small stations afford shows from these big ones, is that what you pay scales with income. Smaller stations pay less for flagship shows like Morning Edition and This American Life, while larger ones subsidize them with increased fees. It's an interesting network of public and semi-public organizations that are all loosely organized around a common mission.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, a lot of the large local stations do. Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, a bunch of the California ones. Plus there are other national public media organizations like American Public Media, Public Radio Exchange, CPB, and non-American ones like BBC and CBC, all of whom syndicate major shows. It's an amazing revenue source if you can afford it.

One of the things that makes NPR's structure so interesting, and lets small stations afford shows from these big ones, is that what you pay scales with income. Smaller stations pay less for flagship shows like Morning Edition and This American Life, while larger ones subsidize them with increased fees. It's an interesting network of public and semi-public organizations that are all loosely organized around a common mission.

Morning Edition and This American Life are once a week programs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Morning Edition and This American Life are once a week programs
I meant to type "All Things Considered" rather than TAL, but ME is daily. You might be thinking of Weekend Edition? ME is NPR's morning news magazine.

This American Life was PRX last I heard, but I think they might have started self-producing and distributing?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dude, NPR is great.

On the Media definitely is good.

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

is somebody having their way with words?

who on earth would think raping words is OK??

Welcome to the american english vernacular.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 6, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Seriously, has anyone listened to “it’s been a minute”? I want to know if I’m irrationally angry at this Sam guy and their pandering “coolness”.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I meant to type "All Things Considered" rather than TAL, but ME is daily. You might be thinking of Weekend Edition? ME is NPR's morning news magazine.

This American Life was PRX last I heard, but I think they might have started self-producing and distributing?

I'm probably wrong. Just glad someone else is listening

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wait wait dont tell me is critically unfunny. its like a thermonuclear bomb of cringe.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

wait wait dont tell me is critically unfunny. its like a thermonuclear bomb of cringe.

whatever you say dude

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chinatown posted:

It's intensely bad, and it's a shame because I like Peter Sagal. I think it has a terrible format that isn't conducive to comedy or even interesting content.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Chinatown posted:

Change it to Wait Wait Don't Kill Me and they execute all the panelists who don't make 1st place. Ties don't count for 1st place.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 6, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not the least funny game show I've heard on public radio, because it's not Whad'Ya Know?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am fairly sure you are dead

:hmmyes:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Moth Radio Hour

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gonna call up a way with words and ask about the etymology of the word "bazongas"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is moth hour real because it sounds super mysterious and could potentially be insanely great

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is moth hour real because it sounds super mysterious and could potentially be insanely great
Yeah, it's real good. Also good despite the world's most boring name: Selected Shorts.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My favorite episode. It’s funny Af

Data mining for dates on a super computer

https://player.themoth.org/#/?actionType=ADD_AND_PLAY&storyId=11441

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Burt Sexual posted:

Moth Radio Hour

The episode where a fairly flamboyant gay man tells the story of the time he and some friends went to Tangier in search of Paul Bowles but he pronounces Bowles like Balls is some of my favorite radio ever.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CoffeeBooze posted:

The episode where a fairly flamboyant gay man tells the story of the time he and some friends went to Tangier in search of Paul Bowles but he pronounces Bowles like Balls is some of my favorite radio ever.

yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Says You! and Ask Me Another are super good

RIP Richard Sher :(

Oh and Vinyl Cafe but i haven't heard it in years :(

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Those shows are great because the hosts are totally comfortable with how absurdly dorky they are. They don’t put on any pretenses about being cool or hip, they’re just trivia dorks dorking it up and having fun. It makes for fun listening.

There’s another quiz show that has one host who strums his guitar and plays horrid parody songs that’s like the exact opposite of that. They’re so desperate for acceptance that at times it’s almost painful to listen to.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Do it ironically posted:

did you know he’s loving 60 years old

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

verbal enema posted:

Says You! and Ask Me Another are super good

RIP Richard Sher :(

That’s because Stuart Maclean, the host/author of the Vinyl Cafe died of Cancer in 2017. :smith: A huge shame, I used to love listening to his stories during long car rides on the weekend when I was younger.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 6, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CoffeeBooze posted:

Those shows are great because the hosts are totally comfortable with how absurdly dorky they are. They don’t put on any pretenses about being cool or hip, they’re just trivia dorks dorking it up and having fun. It makes for fun listening.

There’s another quiz show that has one host who strums his guitar and plays horrid parody songs that’s like the exact opposite of that. They’re so desperate for acceptance that at times it’s almost painful to listen to.

The guitar one is Ask Me Another lmao

Nine of Eight posted:

That’s because Stuart Maclean, the host/author of the Vinyl Cafe died of Cancer in 2017. :smith: A huge shame, I used to love listening to his stories during long car rides on the weekend when I was younger.

I

I had no idea :smith: im so sad now

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's for old people I think

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Every Moth Rsdio Hour story is a coin flip between interesting and eyes rolling out of my head. Half the stories are failed writer/commedienne/vloggers talking about how hard it was to move from the Lower East Side to the Lower West Side after ending their “not quite a serious relationship...” pause for laugh, “but also (insane vocal fry) not not serious, riiiiiight?”

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, it's real good. Also good despite the world's most boring name: Selected Shorts.

Selected Shorts is great (as is The Moth.) My local NPR station plays music all night, but I really wish they would do story-type stuff sometimes. Such a good way to fall asleep.

verbal enema posted:

Poor dead Stewart McLean. :( If I’m remembering right, he was all “people don’t need rebroadcasts; give some young folks with new ideas a shot” wasn’t he? It saddens me that Vinyl Cafe isn’t part of Sundays in the car anymore, but I can respect that line of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I really liked listening to the Moth as a lot of their stories were good and the boring ones acted like background noise while I was driving.

Snap judgment and storycorps can be good too.

I think I hate Filmspotting more than any other radio program tho because the hosts sound so goddamn punchable. Doesn't help they talk about obscure art films as if they were well known popcorn flicks.