Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grandma, Why Are You Doing This?

Jimmy and the Pulsating mass is an amazing game. It's a more complicated, more rich Earthbound-style game that both pays respect to and improves on the original game.
It's beautiful, it's funny, it's sad and it's very, very deep.

Buy this game.

Then watch the LP because you are a working adult with an enormous games backlog and really don't want to gamble on an RPG that's not made by a major studio that's 50 hours long.
Do it so you can have something to idly tool around and listen to while you dick with on your phone or other websites or even grindy games.

Because you shouldn't miss this one.

What is Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass?

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was released in August of 2018. It was made by one person, Kasey Ozymy. He did EVERYTHING.

He made the graphics, the music, the design, everything except for some minor scripts.

It's Jimmy's adventure.

How Are We Going to Do This?

This will be video. If I can figure out how to capture gifs well enough to do it justice, I'll post them. Because this game is imminently ripe for gifs.

I'm going to edit out a lot of repetitive combat and grind off-screen so you don't have to watch it. But ideally we'll see every fight at least once and they're worth watching.

I'll also be rotating commentators. More on that below.

If you have any criticism or want some changes made, give me a heads up.

I'll try to do two tv-show length episodes (~22-30 minutes) every week. Usually Monday and Thursday. Sometimes Sunday or Wednesday. Never Late. The Grandma Express is always on time.

Spoilers?

No loving spoilers. Period. If I miss something, PM me.

Let's do it!

Commentary On (Playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNr5681FV38xQo1dDBvfsBGn18FAwOeA2)

No Commentary (Playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNr5681FV38w0rDLzMWybsMNijpcL-ArH)

Bonus Videos!

https://youtu.be/bwtN5BqaBJo The ultimate shame

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Success Stories

thecluckmeme posted:

god dammit I don't have the time to play this game but I bought the game anyway because it's about this point in the game where I'm getting the same vibes as meeting papyrus in Undertale where I know for a drat fact this game is as polished and loved as my grandmother's cutlery set.

Ayndin posted:

:same: I've been trying to carve out time on the weekends for it, it's worth it.

I see Timothy Mouse has beaten us to slightly phallic woodwind instrument people land. I thought his clothes looked more ragged than when we last saw him, but no, he's always been wearing some sort of one-strapped overalls or something.

Roobanguy posted:

This lp made me buy the game, and I’m probably near the end and gently caress man, this game is good.

Taberquol posted:

That is a wonderful dev diary.

I bought the game Monday because I got emotionally invested in GAMM-E. I wished I played this game instead of the Sims all weekend.

DiggityDoink posted:

I just bought this game so I'm gonna have to skip the rest of this LP. But don't worry, the LP is the reason I bought it in the first place so thanks for the preview of what's to come.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I went and bought this game cause of this LP. It is very good.

The creator is really chill and humble unlike this other developer guy y'all may have heard of.

Nocheez posted:

FYI, I bought this game last night because of this thread. I only watched the first LP episode but I decided I'd rather play it for myself and be surprised. I made it to Smile last night and get to shake the poo poo outta people now :getin:

Tellaris posted:

I would just like to say that the banner ads brought me here, the first video enticed me, and I have subsequently purchased and beaten this game. I loved it so much I have managed to get 3 other people to buy it as well. It is a crime that this game didn't get as much recognition as it deserves.

Jade Rider posted:

Also I'll throw my hat in the proverbial ring for guest commentary. I picked this up a while back because of this thread and have been enjoying it :toot:

gently caress yeah!

Fan Art

Kad made this!

SystemLogoff is making this!

SystemLogoff's painting is progressing nicely!

Oh my god Kad

Inflatable Fish made Woodlice under a Log!

I'm calling it a postmodern interpretation.

Mizuti made this bird!
HONK

Mizuti made this flower with a pithy observation!

I'm losing my poo poo at Johnny Cats. Thanks Kad!

Look at Mizuti's little stinky prince!

Kad, I feel like this should be a magazine cover.

Kad's drawing is simply marvelous and very froggy indeed

Kad drew a doggy :D

Kad has discovered what it's like to be a dad.

Mizuti has captured my spirit animal

Mizuti has the rotting jack-o-lantern that I love that gets the squirrels drunk!

Lord Hippoman is showing us what Today's sexy vampires can't do!

Kad, why? No one needs this much ice cream!

Plant Monster knows me well.

Plant Monster knows me a little too well.

Co-Commentators!

I like to rotate co-commentators and I've got open signups. The general list is below. I'm going to mix it up frequently but generally this will be the list I pick from.

If you want in, let me know and I'll add you. This is going to be a long one. I'll usually get with you about a week out and holler at you.

Upcoming guest commentator list:

Dead Man’s Teaparty
Violet Broregarde
FluffyDeathBringer
Ayndin
HuskyHog

I ideally try to keep a mix of men, women and non-binary people for different viewpoints. In actuality, what happens is mostly men sign up. And that's good but if you identify as female or nonbinary or are a transman, let me know and I'll bump you up the list because different viewpoints are important.

If there's an LPer you want me to contact to see if I can get them to guest, let me know.

If you are an LPer and want to guest, gently caress yes, come hang out.

If you want to skip the line, complete the challenge. This applies to past commentators and future.

Current Challenge: Eat at Golden Corral. Provide Proof.

Past Challenges

Eat a Meat Mountain from Arby's Completed by Iospace

FAQ

Where's Scabs?

I try to have Scabs in each episode. Scabs is a cat. Good luck getting them to do what they don't want. Sometimes we gotta record in the morning on a weekend and she is DEFINITELY asleep. Sometimes we record while Katherine is in the shower and Scabs is trying to rescue her from the terrible water.

Where's Katherine?

I would love for Kat to do more episodes. But I've got an incredible stable full of commentators in the wings and I like making new friends too. I'll have her on every so often but if you want more Katherine, she usually streams with me.

Bestiary

Solitair is doing some chronology of the bestiary and some furniture glossaries and filling in some of the gaps I gloss over to focus on talking about penises and Subway and Lunchables and garbage.

First Post
Second Post
Third post
Fourth post
Fifth post
Sixth post
Seventh post
Eighth post

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 9, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

What is YIIK?

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was released ...

Listen, I know that game left its scars, but you gotta move past it. It doesn't have to affect every game you LP from here on out.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 6, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ground floor for this one. I've heard of this game but don't know much else.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Listen, I know that game left its scars, but you gotta move past it. It doesn't have to affect every game you LP from here on out.

True story: the original video had one frame of Yiik to start. I have no idea how it got there. It just wanted to haunt me.

I've fixed it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

True story: the original video had one frame of Yiik to start. I have no idea how it got there. It just wanted to haunt me.

I've fixed it.

...did AACK's glitches leave the game and enter our world? :ohdear:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jimmy's revolting blob looks much friendlier than the garbage, at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just finished this game, so looking forward to seeing the discussion that comes out of this LP. There was a megathread for the game itself but it only lasted 3 posts before dying.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just finished this game, so looking forward to seeing the discussion that comes out of this LP. There was a megathread for the game itself but it only lasted 3 posts before dying.

Already Helga and Andrew have more characterization than every single person in Yiik except for Alex. It's in the little things-- Helga's dialogue with Jimmy, Andrew's fascination with crystals and huge vocabulary, the relationship they have with each other. Then there's the things they do behind closed doors, which even in and of itself have a lot of depth. :wink:

It's such a deeper gag than "Rory's mom is all legs, get it?"

There's going to be a lot of yiik comparisons because both games had somewhat similar goals.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My main complaint with the game is how necessary grinding feels. There are a few postgame fights that feel i'm just not generally strong enough for yet given the tools I have.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

My main complaint with the game is how necessary grinding feels. There are a few postgame fights that feel i'm just not generally strong enough for yet given the tools I have.

that's what the godsend of an Easy Mode is for

it brings enemies' strength down to a much more manageable Earthbound-ish level and also increases cash/EXP drops so your grinding goes smoother

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

Then watch the LP because you are a working adult with an enormous games backlog and really don't want to gamble on an RPG that's not made by a major studio that's 50 hours long.
Do it so you can have something to idly tool around and listen to while you dick with on your phone or other websites or even grindy games.

Big mood, at least on the time part. Who has time for real games with all their ridiculous phone games nowadays?

So far the game has a bunch of personality and is pretty well written, looking forward to seeing more.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This game freakin' rules and really nails that "the main character is eight" feel that a lot of other Earthbound-likes just don't.

Imagination is a powerful thing.

Oxxidation posted:

that's what the godsend of an Easy Mode is for

it brings enemies' strength down to a much more manageable Earthbound-ish level and also increases cash/EXP drops so your grinding goes smoother

There's no real downside to this either, it's nice.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 6, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just tried switching to easy and it seems it hasn't really changed the exp at all? The battle text still says the same numbers at least.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm excited to watch you LP a good game, because I overdosed on YIIK about halfway through your LP of that, and couldn't bring myself to watch any more.

I demand more cats. All of the cats.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ZeButler posted:

I demand more cats. All of the cats.

There are cats in Jimmy.

Looking forward to this, it's a great game. And it's gonna be weird to have GrandmaParty and the commentators actually talking about the game instead of bringing up random other stuff to defend their brains from :yiikes:.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Dump-text exposition instead of demonstration of mechanics? Check. Pointless monologuing? Check. Although at least here we aren't quoting dialog verbatim in the monologue, so that's progress. I also thought the green blob in Buck's room was the pulsating mass at first.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I just tried switching to easy and it seems it hasn't really changed the exp at all? The battle text still says the same numbers at least.

Battle numbers stay the same, but you do get double xp, despite that.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I really like how Jimmy's main power and greatest strength is empathizing with his enemies, even if they're stinky ugly blobs of slime that fart.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It's odd not to hear that veneer of despair and disgust in Grandma's voice as the loading screen for a good game comes up. It's a nice change of pace

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thotimx posted:

Dump-text exposition instead of demonstration of mechanics? Check. Pointless monologuing? Check. Although at least here we aren't quoting dialog verbatim in the monologue, so that's progress. I also thought the green blob in Buck's room was the pulsating mass at first.

the pointless monologues in this case are at least clearly intended for comedy, and their length is due to deliberately rambling subject matter and not endless "hm" "well" "I mean" "TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON" circumlocution

also as someone who loves a good hyphen Information Guy's scene spoke to me deeply

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oxxidation posted:

the pointless monologues in this case are at least clearly intended for comedy, and their length is due to deliberately rambling subject matter and not endless "hm" "well" "I mean" "TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON" circumlocution

also as someone who loves a good hyphen Information Guy's scene spoke to me deeply

To add on, they're also establishing characterization.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is the anti-Yuk. The dialog is well-written, the characterization is done well to the point where you feel for the characters, its influences (and there are a lot of them) show in its own way without blatantly copying from them, the music kicks rear end, the locations have a lot of thought put into them... I could go on. I watched thevoiceofdog stream this for 15 minutes before deciding to not watch any further and experience it for myself. Please buy this game.

I'll watch later so maybe this was covered, but according to Kasey Ozymy, this is not a spoiler and was explicitly stated by him: this game takes place in Jimmy's dream, hence why Jimmy is sleeping on the title screen. That's all I can say, but when you realize that, everything else that unfolds makes sense.

Edit: Another thing that separates Jimmy from Yuk: Kasey listened to fan input and fixed the game accordingly. That's why the game has an easy difficulty- originally it didn't.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 6, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'll watch later so maybe this was covered, but according to Kasey Ozymy, this is not a spoiler and was explicitly stated by him: this game takes place in Jimmy's dream, hence why Jimmy is sleeping on the title screen. That's all I can say, but when you realize that, everything else that unfolds makes sense.

this is also an effective compare/contrast with YIIK and ties into what i posted in the last thread about Earthbound-alikes being colored by their protagonists' perspective. both games are essentially solipsistic, but for Jimmy that's justified because the entire world is part of his dreams - that's why every character is constantly talking about him (to the point where even the victory message gives him a reassuring pat on the head) and what we've seen of his family is sometimes caricatured, like Buck's casual neck-snap or Andrew's vocabulary being peppered with fancy-sounding gibberish. YIIK on the other hand purports to take place in a "real" world that's nevertheless slavishly focused on Alex, which feels artificial and unearned

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oxxidation posted:

this is also an effective compare/contrast with YIIK and ties into what i posted in the last thread about Earthbound-alikes being colored by their protagonists' perspective. both games are essentially solipsistic, but for Jimmy that's justified because the entire world is part of his dreams - that's why every character is constantly talking about him (to the point where even the victory message gives him a reassuring pat on the head) and what we've seen of his family is sometimes caricatured, like Buck's casual neck-snap or Andrew's vocabulary being peppered with fancy-sounding gibberish. YIIK on the other hand purports to take place in a "real" world that's nevertheless slavishly focused on Alex, which feels artificial and unearned

There's also the fact that one is a child, the other is an 'adult'. Jimmy is more mature than Alex. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jimmy's emotion (this game's substitute for character class) is empathy, which immediately makes him more mature at eight years old than Alex is in his mid-20s.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 6, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Neither exasterate nor minaculation is a real word.

I'm so angry right now.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Oh hell yes. This is one of the best RPGs I've played in a while. Really scratches that turn-based grind itch. It also helps that the world is so vibrant and fun to be in. Looking forward to this one!

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I'm happy to see that this game is still slowly amassing fans. It's a fantastic game and deserves way more attention than it got upon release. One thing that I think a good number of people who like this game might not realize is that it's not Kasey Ozymy's first game as he's also made four freeware RPG Maker games over the years before Jimmy. They're a lot rougher than Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, but it's easy to draw some parallels between them and this game, especially in regards to the combat system of The Heart Pumps Clay. I think they're definitely worth checking out for anyone who wants to see how the developer has improved over the years or if you simply want to play some decent freeware: https://rpgmaker.net/users/Housekeeping/games/

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
aaw yea ground floor

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's a shame how little attention it got. I looked for the thread in Games and it got three posts and died in september.

also a shame - while watching that first video all my recommended things were those creepy as gently caress kids channels.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 6, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

I ideally try to keep a mix of men, women and non-binary people for different viewpoints.

You are a good human being.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

BioEnchanted posted:

also a shame - while watching that first video all my recommended things were those creepy as gently caress kids channels.
It seems to happen whenever the video you're watching is really colourful.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jimmy's emotion (this game's substitute for character class) is empathy, which immediately makes him more mature at eight years old than Alex is in his mid-20s.

Right??? Only 15 minutes in and we're already leagues above YEEEECH.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it never fails to amuse me how, even if you spell it properly, YIIK's title is a perfectly articulated sound of elemental disgust

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a shame how little attention it got. I looked for the thread in Games and it got three posts and died in september.

A related problem is how steam seems to lump it in with rpgmaker horror non-combat games like The Witch's House, which it is most definitely not at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

NewMars posted:

A related problem is how steam seems to lump it in with rpgmaker horror non-combat games like The Witch's House, which it is most definitely not at all.
I have to believe that Steam's, shall we see, "shortcomings" as a platform didn't do Jimmy any favors. If it were at all possible to give this a port on the Switch, then I'd welcome it and buy it all over again. It would need to fix some resolution problems and I'm not sure if RPG Maker games are compatible with the console, but hopefully there can be something done. There's a reason why indie game makers vastly prefer the Switch over other platforms: they're far more supportive than the competition.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
This was my top game of 2018. Granted I didn't play a lot of AAA stuff but this was the most earnest and satisfying game I've played in a long time.

I'm real glad you found the 'adult fun time' because I didn't know about that my first run through, it's a really great joke on what Jimmy thinks adults do with each other.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
do your best jimmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GrandmaParty posted:

Neither exasterate nor minaculation is a real word.

I'm so angry right now.

Jimmy's dad is always using big words Jimmy doesn't really understand.