Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I don't know what Terry gross looks like and I'm afraid to look it up.

This is fresh air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She looks like an old NPR lady.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I gave up on NPR once I had to spend 2-3 hours in my car a day driving around the Bay Area (still have a super gross dead KQED vinyl on my rear window lol) and they were reporting on things I knew about in such shallow meaningless detail over and over again that it pissed me off. This was like 2014 and I was still a mostly politics-less “leftish” person without a clue.

Once I have up on NPR I started listening to backlogs of This American Life, sometimes it could be real good... and then Ira did an episode on his hosed up, tragic dog.

He spends an hour describing how they have this small dog that developed severe anger issues, wouldn’t recognize them in the middle of the night when they had to take it out to pee, and would attack them, so they always had to have a muzzle on it, and describe how you could see the fear in its eyes when it was in one of its rages, as if it had no control. Then also described how it developed severe allergies to meats that it ate regularly, so they had to keep sourcing different kinds of meat for it to eat.

Around this point I realized these are basically lizard people and I have nothing in common with them and now I can’t hear Ira’s voice without imagining them choosing to keep this suffering creature alive in their domicile, smiling like androids as they tell themselves they are good people while they order another $400 in exotic meats for their dog that’ll last them a week. I can’t remember the story clearly any more and I’m sure the dog has been freed from its mortal coil at this point.

lol that was a classic episode, he was feeding his mentally ill dog crates of exotic kangaroo meat. he became a ur-example of the same bullshit he serves up on a weekly basis.

i wonder if the dog lived longer than his marriage

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Im Carl Kassell and

uhh

wait wait who am i

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Before we get back to more posts, please take a minute to consider donating to Lotax’ new spine fund. Just five dollars per month can help bring you more of the posts you love

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
That's right Jenji, and with all of the things happening in the world, there has never been a more important time for Lowtax to have a working spine.

We're joined by volunteers from JoJo's three-legged dog rescue who are waiting to take your call to support lowtax's spine. Remember if you pledge $150 or a $15 a month recurring payment, we will send you an Eton weather radio that will let you listen to lowtax's spine out of a tiny speaker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

lol that was a classic episode, he was feeding his mentally ill dog crates of exotic kangaroo meat. he became a ur-example of the same bullshit he serves up on a weekly basis.

i wonder if the dog lived longer than his marriage

Kangaroo meat is apparently pretty good. Super lean.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The reason he had to keep chasing down exotic dog food, eventually landing on kangaroo, is the dog developed allergies to every other protein source.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

poisonpill posted:

Before we get back to more posts, please take a minute to consider donating to Lotax’ new spine fund. Just five dollars per month can help bring you more of the posts you love
You're incredibly smart for giving. Smart and beautiful. But some of you haven't given. And you're monsters. Smart, beautiful, twisted, terrible monsters. Please give or else we will have to do this pledge drive forever.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The reason he had to keep chasing down exotic dog food, eventually landing on kangaroo, is the dog developed allergies to every other protein source.
I can't think of a lot of clearer ways to signal to my owner that I'm ready to die than developing an allergy to all non-kangaroo proteins.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I don't know what Terry gross looks like and I'm afraid to look it up.

This is fresh air

I looked it up once and she looks like an alien. What I remember, but do not wish to revisit, is a big head and really long skinny limbs. You know, an alien. I don't remember why I wanted to know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This whole saga sounds like something a goon would do.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I find Terry Gross so frustrating to listen to. She starts asking a question and the interviewee clearly knows where she’s going, starts to answer, but Terry just keeps talking, stretching out the question into a minute monologue. Finally she stops and gets the same answer she would have gotten 50 seconds earlier.

Also her and a couple other older women on NPR have this weird valley girl thing going on and somehow use “like” as much as kids 40 years younger.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

SRoland Idontknow-Sophie.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Isn't that something some specific breeds of ticks cause?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Isn't that something some specific breeds of ticks cause?

Lone Star ticks can cause an allergy to red meat, at least in humans.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm ZooooOOOoy Chaaaeeese and this is a story abowut how my accent relates to [identity label 1], [gender] and connecting to your [identity label 2].

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

pseudanonymous posted:

I looked it up once and she looks like an alien. What I remember, but do not wish to revisit, is a big head and really long skinny limbs. You know, an alien. I don't remember why I wanted to know.

Just looked her up and she looks like Ira Glass's mini me. Seriously there is a picture of them standing right next to each other, and they look every bit like Dr. Evil and mini me.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It's act 2. I'm Zoe Chace. Once again, I find myself in the front office of senator Jeff Flake. In one week, the senate will be voting on ______. Flake is a republican, but he also says he's a moderate, and is undecided on _______. Over the next hour we'll be following Flake as he goes about the business of the senate and makes up his mind on _____.

I know we've done this story three times before, and, surprisingly, Flake has always voted with the republican line. I also know that Flake received $200k of funding from the _____ industry in his last campaign. But to me, in his office, he really seems divided, determined to do whats right for constituents, and struggling under the weight of his responsibility, like in this clip: "well, ayuck ayuck ayuck, gollie gee little lady. There's a lot of opinions out there, and I'm just a simple senator trying to be a good American. I really don't know how I'm going to vote. Do you think it could be with my party and with the interests that sponsor me and will make me wealthy when I cash out in a few months? Do you? You don't? You don't think so, you credulous useful idiot journalism prep school poo poo?" We'll come back to Flake's struggle in a moment, but first, I have to respond to a Nigerian prince who's in desperate need of my expertise and guidance.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

It's act 2. I'm Zoe Chace. Once again, I find myself in the front office of senator Jeff Flake. In one week, the senate will be voting on ______. Flake is a republican, but he also says he's a moderate, and is undecided on _______. Over the next hour we'll be following Flake as he goes about the business of the senate and makes up his mind on _____.

I know we've done this story three times before, and, surprisingly, Flake has always voted with the republican line. I also know that Flake received $200k of funding from the _____ industry in his last campaign. But to me, in his office, he really seems divided, determined to do whats right for constituents, and struggling under the weight of his responsibility, like in this clip: "well, ayuck ayuck ayuck, gollie gee little lady. There's a lot of opinions out there, and I'm just a simple senator trying to be a good American. I really don't know how I'm going to vote. Do you think it could be with my party and with the interests that sponsor me and will make me wealthy when I cash out in a few months? Do you? You don't? You don't think so, you credulous useful idiot journalism prep school poo poo?" We'll come back to Flake's struggle in a moment, but first, I have to respond to a Nigerian prince who's in desperate need of my expertise and guidance.

masterful. it makes me think that there are truly both sides on each issue.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i love my dead gay automobile hour

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

"Welcome back to on point, I'm Meghna Chakrabarti and we have the one guy in Nooseneck Arkansas on the lines that listens to NPR. Hey caller, what do you think about the current situation in Iowa regarding the recent ban on super abortions?"

"Thank ya kindly, Megan Chefboyardee. I just wanted to call in to say I'm tired of these horse jockeys in washington telling OUR PRESIDENT Donald Trump what to do! The gridlock in Washington has gone on for too long. And I'll tell you what, its all the fault of them stinking..."

"Thank you, caller. That certainly is a concern." *wipes spontaneous nosebleed hurriedly*

"I'll turn this callers concern over to my guest, noted SUNY Plattsburgh professor of neonatal terminations, Dr. Jason Weoddababbieatsaboi. Jason, how does President Trump fit into the super abortion debate, which is something I'm sure a lot of our callers are asking themselves."

"Thanks Meghna. And actually before I get started my last name is pronounced "Wendelton" and my background is in Woman's Studies. Trump doesn't quite fit into this debate at all. Also, I was told before the show we'd be talking about the impact the sports bra had on the development of third wave feminism. But to further elaborate on your caller's statement, we should just look0 into how all of this is tied up to the power dynamics of a society that forces a family to have dual incomes to survive. I think we can see that most of these social issues come down to rampant income inequa..."

"Interesting. Well, unfortunately doctor we've run out of time. Join us next time, when we'll speak with noted constitutional scholar and composer Moby about his new book, "Gee, the 90s sure were swell". I'm Meghna Chakrabarti and this has been On Point."

*theme song that sounds like a prog rock album in reverse plays out*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kai Ryssdal gives me a similar feeling to Pete Buttigieg, in that I can easily imagine both those men committing acts of grievous violence against other human beings with a straight face.

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I heard it this morning too. Very unusual tone to her voice. Never heard about the violin though.
E: danged if I can find that audio on npr.org at the moment though.

The voice tone thing is often how they slip in anti-left weirdness. Like, when they discuss Bernie Sanders or whatever they'll use this tone of voice that is full of doubt/skepticism, or they'll discuss left-wing protesters with this "get a load of these folks" tone. It results in transcripts that often look relatively normal, but if you're actually listening to the segment it's obvious.

edit: Their reporting during Occupy Wallstreet is what ended up driving me away from listening to NPR on my commute. I'll occasionally try listening to them again, but I'll usually encounter some dumb bullshit within like 10 minutes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I first heard about NPR in high school when the teacher referred to it as radio for intelligent people.

Considering it was a school for the retarded I didn’t put a lot of stock in that statement.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sorry to cu..., sorry to cut you short, I'm ah, we, uh, ah, I'm up, up against a break.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Today's Birdnote has been brought to you by
f l y i n g p l a s t i c b a g
and
s u f f o c a t i n g a n x i e t y

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
I like they always have some dickhead with a posh British accent come on to give facts that are misleading at absolute best.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

CaptBushido posted:

I'm Marco Worm-Man

I still have never figured out if it's Marc O. Werman, Mark O'werman, Marc Hourman, or Marco Werman and at this point I don't give enough of a poo poo to find out.

Also, I miss Andrei Codrescu. He was the partially senile, seen-it-all angry, eastern European anti-Andy Rooney we all needed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol heard this on the radio this morning

democracynowdemocracynowdotorgthewarandpeacereport posted:

AMY GOODMAN: And explain that cap-and-trade bill.

REP. KARIN POWER: We are seeking to regulate the largest carbon and carbon-equivalent polluters in the state, and pricing carbon a little bit, to start with, the way that California has started, but Oregon would be the second state in the nation to price all sectors—our production, our transportation, and in our energy and utilities. It’s been a tremendous amount of work to get us this far. We have a number of groups in all major utilities in support. And it’s really just incredibly disappointing that with the climate crisis before us, we were unable to take this last step and get it to our governor’s desk.

AMY GOODMAN: So, what happens now? Oregon Democrats have tweeted out a “wanted” poster for the missing GOP senators last week. “Wanted: Fugitives from Justice (And Their Jobs). Have you seen these people? If you find them, do not harm them! Oregon needs them back at work.” Five seconds, Karin.

REP. KARIN POWER: Sure. Our session ends June 30th, this Sunday. So, if they don’t come back, all bills will be dead.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, I want to thank you for being with us.

the clock's running out and Amy Goodman wastes time talking about some goofy twitter post only to give the person five seconds to answer her question

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

cult_hero posted:

Also, I miss Andrei Codrescu. He was the partially senile, seen-it-all angry, eastern European anti-Andy Rooney we all needed.

I gave up on npr like 5 years ago but this dude owned and that is the perfect description for him.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Andrew Codrescu retired to the Ozarks very close to where my family lives. Never saw him, but apparently his yard is full of weird old poo poo and dead trees he drags up. So really no different than the average Ozark property.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't think of a lot of clearer ways to signal to my owner that I'm ready to die than developing an allergy to all non-kangaroo proteins.

That's not really the case, it's just that you can't find regular dog food that isn't some smorgasbord of random rear end proteins so if your dog is allergic to a specific one whether beef, chicken, eggs, bones, or whatever else they grind up, any general dog food might have it. Kangaroo dog food is mostly just kangaroo and very little else (maybe like apples or something, generally grain free) so it's unlikely to have been included in the foods they've eaten already, and probably isn't already causing the issue. Any unorthodox protein works though, like rabbit or venison. We even tried some special food that had broken down proteins into the basic amino acids dogs need. The dog didn't really care, they ate the food just fine, it was just a bit more expensive and didn't help for poo poo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Thank ya kindly, Megan Chefboyardee.

ahaha oh my god

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Ytlaya posted:

Kai Ryssdal gives me a similar feeling to Pete Buttigieg, in that I can easily imagine both those men committing acts of grievous violence against other human beings with a straight face.

add irl Jian Ghomeshi

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can someone remind me who that reporter woman with the extremely annoying voice was

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

a dingus posted:

I'm ZooooOOOoy Chaaaeeese and this is a story abowut how my accent relates to [identity label 1], [gender] and connecting to your [identity label 2].

Hmmm, maybe i should have read the page

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

Can someone remind me who that reporter woman with the extremely annoying voice was

Diane Rehm.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Upon further research, it's definitely Zoe Chase

what the gently caress even is that accent?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

cult_hero posted:

I still have never figured out if it's Marc O. Werman, Mark O'werman, Marc Hourman, or Marco Werman and at this point I don't give enough of a poo poo to find out.

quote:

On the December 19, 1995, broadcast of All Things Considered, Codrescu reported that some Christians believe in a "rapture" and 4 million believers will ascend to Heaven immediately. He continued, "The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place."

Holy poo poo this guy owns.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm

Diane

Rehm

I'll

Die

Before

I

Finish

This

Sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Typical boomer, honestly, completely incapable of doing her job, but keeps getting cortoroid shots straight in her neck so she can take a job away from a non-corpse American