Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Puyo Puyo Champions is the latest entry in the long-running Puyo Puyo series. Although a good chunk of you may barely recall the series given its...spotty record in the West. Despite being over 25 years old, the series never really caught on here, and only a few scattered games got localized:

-The Genesis and SNES remakes, which are the best known. A lot of people remember Mean Bean Machine or Kirby’s Avalanche.
-Puyo Pop, a GBA release that is the first to use the actual Puyo brand in the West.
-Puyo Pop Fever, a Gamecube game.
-Puyo Puyo Tetris, the crossover released for the current gen of systems, that also just goes with the Japanese name

Here’s a crash course in the game’s history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RBUItn-xoQ

Puyo Puyo is popular in Japan as an esport, and in fact Champions is called Puyo Puyo esports over there. There’s a surprising depth to the gameplay, if you dedicate enough time to it, and some would even liken it to a fighting game. And Champions is a super cheap way to get into the scene, launching at a cost of just ten bucks.

But I already own Puyo Puyo Tetris! Why buy half of that game?

While PPT is great, it’s not a “pure” Puyo experience, to put it one way. For starters, there is no way to just play Puyo vs Puyo games in ranked online. You will eventually face a Tetris player, probably more often than not given its popularity in the west and its advantage over Puyo. Furthermore, since the Tetris Company is very controlling over how Tetris plays in modern games, this limits how balance was implemented and meant a lot of little changes to things like how fast Puyo plays. So yeah, if you have no desire to really dive into competitive Puyo, then PPT may be sufficient. But if you really want to feel the rush of COMPETITIVE SLIME DROPPING then it’s a no-brainer.

There is more than that, like the return of the alternate Fever ruleset, challenge modes, revamped replay system, and so on. It also drops the Tetris characters introduced in PPT for more Puyo characters. Yay? If you’re still on the fence, then this videos covers most of the reasons for PPT owners to grab Champions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPG0-w7t2w

The game is for PC and all current gen systems. No idea about cross platform online, but I imagine PC and Switch will be the more popular versions. Sega is also doing the same thing they did when PPT launched and drawing upon the Puyo community to make some tutorial videos for new players. Take a look!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZAER937ibQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m going to miss Schezo bumbling through a script that the translators clearly had too much fun punching up.

I get its not the focus of this release but still that entire script was just the most :allears:

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
What little of PPT I played was fantastic, so this seems like a no-brainer. Will this have a tutorial of some kind? I doubt it will make me good enough to not get destroyed by others online but it would be good for those of us who lack Puyo Puyo experience.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Game is out on Switch and Steam. Not sure about others.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I play as Satan with a Hawaiian shirt and shades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I play as Satan with a Hawaiian shirt and shades

Sadly not, there's a few humorous puyo puyo quest variants (him in a carbuncle suit) for avatars but that's about your lot, sadly.

Part of me kinda wishes they'd go back and re-release the classic games with the new english cast but I understand that's an exercise in time and money wasting to please exactly me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 7, 2019