Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm looking forward to the continued adventures of Lynian, the thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Who are the exactly six people who dislike the VLDC videos?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Yune is three ounces of whoop-rear end a randomizer for Fire Emblem. It claims to be universal, but right now it "only" supports FE4 and the GBA titles. Which is still a lot! It's also even more amusing than the other randomizers I've seen, because reasons.

BRING IN THE SALT has a whole new menaning I'm guessing.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh yay, another FE thread!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

SelenicMartian posted:

Who are the exactly six people who dislike the VLDC videos?

I assume its people from SMWCentral who don't like the idea of the entries being shown off and criticized.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

See, I would understand that if it wasn't for the fact that FPZero was a judge this time. Judge LPs of contest games aren't as rare as you'd think, and personally if I had entered, I'd appreciate a judge going in-depth on what they really thought of my level.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I think it's more that the criticism's being read to the entire internet. That or they're still mad that they were scored poorly, there's a shocking amount of ego behind a lot of fan works.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't encountered a completely dead level yet, so I dunno if those are possible.
Oh you sweet summer child, blessed by the RNG, never knowing the pain of an empty level.
I think I had one character get two of them back-to-back once. Want to say it was Matthew:argh:
This thread is already delivering the goods. Glad it's back!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's really funny that someone would put precisely 6 dislikes on my vldc11 videos. I'm not gonna speculate about who would've done it though, because I don't want to talk badly about the users I administer to. I don't really care about things like SEO and ratings though since I monetize nothing I do, so whoever it is can feel free to keep pasting 6 dislikes on all my vids.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
As far as YouTube is concerned, aren’t likes and dislikes weighted the same when it comes to “engagement” in their strange arcane algorithms?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ramos posted:

Considering how fire emblem works, would that leave you with a very real possibility of just running out of usable weapons for a class or two?

Technically, yes It's pretty unlikely it'll be a big issues, though, unless I get a huge number of people who all want the same weapons before they become buyable. And just as likely I'll get like, an infinite use 1-2 range Armads or something!

FeyerbrandX posted:

BRING IN THE SALT has a whole new menaning I'm guessing.

I'm actually quite content right now. My first run, I had to rng abuse to beat Batta!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd love to see an FP LP where he plays through the original Super Mario World as if each level were a submission to VLDC

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

As far as YouTube is concerned, aren’t likes and dislikes weighted the same when it comes to “engagement” in their strange arcane algorithms?

I'm not sure how it works nowadays, but in the early days way back when it was actually better for you and your video to have more dislikes, because those counted double for 'engagement' while likes only counted once. :eng99:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I was watching one of the old VLDC9 videos and you mentioned working on an Old-School Level Design Contest. Did that ever get finished?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FPzero posted:

That's really funny that someone would put precisely 6 dislikes on my vldc11 videos. I'm not gonna speculate about who would've done it though, because I don't want to talk badly about the users I administer to. I don't really care about things like SEO and ratings though since I monetize nothing I do, so whoever it is can feel free to keep pasting 6 dislikes on all my vids.
Actually, the possibility of seeming someone getting super mad on SMWC over you being meaaaaan to their brainchild was 90% of why I wanted you to link to the thread, lol

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Strange Matter posted:

I was watching one of the old VLDC9 videos and you mentioned working on an Old-School Level Design Contest. Did that ever get finished?

Yeah it did. It was a real fun contest and you can play it for yourself: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=17706

As a judge for it, I ended up making a judge level to be included in the collab. I think it's somewhere in the castle world.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd love to see an FP LP where he plays through the original Super Mario World as if each level were a submission to VLDC

Just reading this post made me giggle so I endorse this idea for the comedic value

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there Mario level hacks similar in spirit to the Congestion: 64 wad for Doom?
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Congestion:_64

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

2: Hector, you lout!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That Jaffar. :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
God drat does every game have a randomizer now

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the logical conclusion of the roguelite trend.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't wait for the randomizer randomizer, which'll spit out a multi-console mash-up loaded through a special emulator package to string them all together so you can find Ganon's Tower big key in the hands of the cyberdemon patrolling one of FFXIII-2's dungeons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fire emblem has had randomizers for a while.
This one is probably the best of the lot, though it doesn't have a good option for randomized growths that look like they come from the actual games.

Fortunately it's in java and his git has all the code, so it was easy to script in my own algorithm for that when I used it.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

We need to come up with fake level creators, just for the kayfabe.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ryushikaze posted:

We need to come up with fake level creators, just for the kayfabe.

The goons in the thread. Dibs on Chocolate Island 1

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
To bring it to its (il)logical conclusion, SMW randomizer with randomized everything. One level might have ninjis instead of koopas, while another has a banzai bill instead of the porcupuffer.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Or, hear me out, Banzai Bills replace all the enemies. And dolphins. Including Vanilla Dome 3. Or 4. You know which one I'm talking about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

To bring it to its (il)logical conclusion, SMW randomizer with randomized everything. One level might have ninjis instead of koopas, while another has a banzai bill instead of the porcupuffer.

Link to the Past Randomizer has an "enemizer" mode that does this. This includes shuffling the bosses around, so you can e.g. fight Vitreous (the multi-eyeball boss of Misery Mire) four times in a single run!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

well that's bloody unfair

Does Randomized Eliwood still have a plot locked promotion or can you use a Knight Crest/whatever as early as you want. Do Lyn mode units transfer their stats to the Eliwood mode?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DoubleNegative posted:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Or, hear me out, Banzai Bills replace all the enemies. And dolphins. Including Vanilla Dome 3. Or 4. You know which one I'm talking about.
You guys should just grab an smw rom and lunar magic, and make some levels. I'd play them on video! This goes for anyone in the thread. I'm literally the PR Team Leader on SMWC as well as admin; outreach like this is totally in my wheelhouse. Plus making levels is a lot of fun!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

That Jaffar. :allears:

Jaffar tries, ok?

...well to be fair that doesn't make it any better.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

well that's bloody unfair

No, this is unfair.

Lance Batta just took a few rounds of healing, but I had a pretty good shot at winning before running out of healing.

quote:

Does Randomized Eliwood still have a plot locked promotion or can you use a Knight Crest/whatever as early as you want.

Don't know, I didn't get that far on my first go.

quote:

Do Lyn mode units transfer their stats to the Eliwood mode?

They should, yes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh geez, it's a full chaos randomizer so you're going to have iron swords be brave eclipse armorslayers that give +5 str, heck yes.

God, it's good to see more Vilk FE :neckbeard:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geemer posted:

I can't wait for the randomizer randomizer, which'll spit out a multi-console mash-up loaded through a special emulator package to string them all together so you can find Ganon's Tower big key in the hands of the cyberdemon patrolling one of FFXIII-2's dungeons.

Warning of impending very loud

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1066922554189766656/pu/vid/960x720/Cdc9iELIhH2RAjH4.mp4

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:allears:

(Thanks for the warning!)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dabir posted:

It's the logical conclusion of the roguelite trend.

I actually had this exact same thought lol

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I present without comment, for as always, Skeleton Noodles need no introduction.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm going to need a full sized version of that "Soma standing in the Metroid Fusion frozen storage with the Crawling Skull" image you overlaid the video on.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

You guys should just grab an smw rom and lunar magic, and make some levels. I'd play them on video! This goes for anyone in the thread. I'm literally the PR Team Leader on SMWC as well as admin; outreach like this is totally in my wheelhouse. Plus making levels is a lot of fun!

I've thought about giving it another shot. I tried it once long ago. Made a level I really liked. It was gorgeous, had some neat, creative ideas and when I loaded it...I forgot to put the floor under Mario so he died instantly.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

You guys should just grab an smw rom and lunar magic, and make some levels.

I downloaded Lunar Magic. Things I have accomplished thus far:

[x] Fish that can't even swim in water
[ ] Literally anyting else

theshim posted:

Oh geez, it's a full chaos randomizer so you're going to have iron swords be brave eclipse armorslayers that give +5 str, heck yes.

I actually have the "safe basic weapons" option on so iron swords won't have any special effects in this run. No promises about any of the other weapons, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

I downloaded Lunar Magic. Things I have accomplished thus far:

[x] Fish that can't even swim in water
[ ] Literally anyting else

Perfect, it's beautiful.

(Click the Lakitu Head button in LM to open the Sprite Header Properties, and then choose one of the two checkboxes there to enable sprite buoyancy. You'll probably want the second one that mentions disabling layer 2 interaction because Layer 2 in your screenshot is just the background and doesn't actually move in a way Mario and sprites will interact with it.)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've thought about giving it another shot. I tried it once long ago. Made a level I really liked. It was gorgeous, had some neat, creative ideas and when I loaded it...I forgot to put the floor under Mario so he died instantly.

:moonrio: You can now easily grab and move Mario's entrances by being in Sprite mode, then clicking and dragging the Mario Sprites used for entrances.