Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

You know what's a great feeling? Getting the super jump and super speed as your first movement abilities in a platformer. Like, imagine starting Super Metroid and getting the space jump ASAP

Now imagine the next thing you see is the Baby Metroid scene where it nearly kills you but leaves you alive with 1 HP. That's about the level of "intended order" we're dealing with in this seed. I love it.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

No, that class goes Nomad -> Nomad Trooper. He should give extra exp for being a boss, though.

I think the first promoted enemy shows up as the boss in chapter 9? But don't quote me on that.

Ohhhh, oh. I thought he was promoted, okay. That makes sense.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You're right Ryu, that really was a stupid amount of progress.

Honestly sometimes I really dislike that about randomizers, because you get the surprise of all this good stuff at the start of the game, and then the rest of it is just you running around getting whatever last lock and key things you need to make it to the end. Super Metroid is actually a pretty poor game to randomize despite what you may believe because 80% of the upgrades are filler, and a bunch of the actual upgrades obsolete previous ones. At least this Dawn randomizer also shuffles the rooms so you have to spend time finding your way through the castle instead of just going through the same map but with all the late items early on. Though you can still see what I mean here since you got some of the best armor, weapons, souls and movement abilities already, and still have what I assume to be a good 50% of the game to go through.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It can be fun to play a game where you get the god-tier items early, but generally only once or twice. I think the big problem honestly is just that the game has an RPG-style power curve, where obstacles go from being difficult to being trivial because your numbers got bigger. That can work well in a curated environment but is easily broken by randomizers.

Metroid and Zelda work pretty well as randomizers mostly because they have fairly flat power curves over the course of the game. Sure, Link with blue mail and a tempered sword is a lot easier to play than Link with green mail and no sword, but he still can't completely ignore 95+% of threats the way Soma with halfway-decent armor can. When you have 300 HP and most enemies are doing less than 5 damage to you per hit, why would you bother to play carefully?

I'm not sure how you'd "fix" this in a randomizer context. About all I can think of would be to assign a "level" to every zone, monster, item, etc., scale the stats of the monsters and items based on the zone they're found in, and then arrange the zones in order of ascending level. So you might find Dracula's Tunic early, but instead of being literally the best armor in the game, it just gives you small boosts to every stat. Meanwhile the Skeleton you encounter in the late game is throwing out 300-damage bones.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FPzero posted:

You're right Ryu, that really was a stupid amount of progress.

Honestly sometimes I really dislike that about randomizers, because you get the surprise of all this good stuff at the start of the game, and then the rest of it is just you running around getting whatever last lock and key things you need to make it to the end. Super Metroid is actually a pretty poor game to randomize despite what you may believe because 80% of the upgrades are filler, and a bunch of the actual upgrades obsolete previous ones. At least this Dawn randomizer also shuffles the rooms so you have to spend time finding your way through the castle instead of just going through the same map but with all the late items early on. Though you can still see what I mean here since you got some of the best armor, weapons, souls and movement abilities already, and still have what I assume to be a good 50% of the game to go through.

One thing I will say for the DSVania Randomizer is that it does appear to have a solid logic in place for increasing boss and enemy stats based on zones and what you can get from drops and set spawns. As a minor spoiler, I manage to find my way to several boss fights out of order and get my face kicked in several times.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm tempted to try this out, I remember having a lot of fun with the vanilla version.

FPzero posted:

Honestly sometimes I really dislike that about randomizers

That can definitely be a thing with this kind of game. Though, sometimes that can be fun, too.

I feel like FE tends to be more "stable" as far as randomizing is concerned. It's pretty unlikely you'll get anything really broken that the enemies don't also get. Outside like, getting a cavalier Karel instead of Roy.

...Speaking of!

6: A frail Lycian priestess

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Can Soldiers promote in this randomizer, or is Florina stuck at a basic class forever?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Minus Green posted:

Can Soldiers promote in this randomizer, or is Florina stuck at a basic class forever?

The knight Crest takes them to general.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FoolyCharged posted:

The knight Crest takes them to general.

I think I speak for the entire thread when I say we need to see little Florina in General's armor

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

never

i'm selling the knight crest for vulnerary money

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
This randomiser seems very fond of axe units.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
heath is totally the power metal ballad type of bard

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Man, you are getting so many high movement units. Except your bard, who decided to take lessons from vanilla knights.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chocolate Bunny posted:

This randomiser seems very fond of axe units.

Yes, but at least they are all (technically) different classes! It's a pretty good class spread so far.

My first run had like 4 archers :saddowns:

GeneX posted:

heath is totally the power metal ballad type of bard

Oh yes, definitely.

Songs about dragons.

Ashsaber posted:

Man, you are getting so many high movement units. Except your bard, who decided to take lessons from vanilla knights.

Yeah. Promotions are going to be... interesting. I look forward to everybody dropping move after changing class :suicide:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Back to Peach's Adventure! Tyty decides to take a load off as we sprint through some ruins.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wow, I thought you guys were playing a Mario romhack, not a Sonic one.

Legitimately though, it's kind of amazing what you can do in the SMW engine. Thwomp Ruins-A was very impressive.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Sometimes I forget that this hack is made in the SMW engine it is very impressive.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

vilkacis posted:

Oh yes, definitely.

Songs about dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEGmX3JgXI

checks out

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wondered why there were so many new posts. Of course, it's because everyone updated. That's so nice.

Lucius as a female Archer is hilarious, especially when he has Erk's dialogue. Florina as Serra too, that's some amusing stuff.
Soma sure got a lot of power in one update. I guess that makes following stuff kind of more boring but at the same time the insane layout doesn't seem like it'll ever stop being amusing and interesting to play.
God the Peach hack is too good for something that looked so bad at first. That said, Munchers on black backgrounds? I nearly didn't see them. Also, did your Fire Flower somehow turn into a 1-Up Mushroom on the boss?

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Peach in that romhack looks a lot like (a cartoony version of, obviously) a coworker of mine.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 21, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't tell if I love or hate that this hack is using sound from like five different games. Really not feeling the coin sound though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Peach's running face is still hilarious.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Please stop butt-shaming her royal highness.

:rock:

And speaking of which,

7: Wyvern Lord, on tour now

And don't forget to buy their latest CD.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

vilkacis posted:

And don't forget to buy their latest CD.

:golfclap:

Karel looks good, but I'll bet he has abysmal growths to make up for those bases.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, I actually looked those up because I don't see myself using him long-term. He's basically a myrm, 25 str, 55 spd... Oh, and 10 skl. At least swords are accurate :downsgun:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I'm probably just an idiot but it sure took me a while to realize she's not all bug-eyed in her running animation, that black pixel is her eyelashes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tiistai posted:

I'm probably just an idiot but it sure took me a while to realize she's not all bug-eyed in her running animation, that black pixel is her eyelashes

Wait, what? Seriously?

I'll ignore this because it's a lot less funny.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

tiistai posted:

Why do you hate fun? :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

8: Matthewood

tiistai posted:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Your crew is looking rather allergic to getting Strength and Magic upgrades.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:negative:

Fortunately the enemies are pretty squishy, but, yeah, that could cause problems later on I have enemy growths turned up by 20%, send help

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I like how Lucius and Erk just swapped roles in the story. It still works, somehow.

Do supports still work normally with the randomiser?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I assume the reason your mages all have low Magic starting out is because the Mage class starts with like, 1 or 2 Magic. And then personal bases are added and most physical units don't have that many points added on because their physical classes usually have lowish but serviceable bases. So the mages have low magic + little strength bonus and that's how we have so many 1 Magic casters.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Do supports still work normally with the randomiser?

I believe supports are based on the original characters. So Ninian should support with Priscilla, because they are Lyn and Florina, for instance, and Pent's replacement should come with an A with Louise's replacement.

Yeah, probably. Though, they don't all have to stay at 1 magic...!

e: By the way, has anyone sent in any Mario levels yet?

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 22, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I forget if you mentioned it, but are supports randomized, too?

E: I'm leaving my shameful non-refreshed thread post for all to see

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

e: By the way, has anyone sent in any Mario levels yet?

Not yet, which is fine because I haven't had the capacity to record for the last week or so. But yeah if people want to send levels you can either post them in the thread, PM them to me or hell, message me on Twitter or SMWCentral if you make an account there for whatever reason.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stop tempting me to look back into Mario romhack poo poo! :argh:

5~10 years ago I actually got 80% through porting the music from Illusion of Gaia's Larai Cliff to SMW, but dropped it when I was too lazy to properly optimize it and shift channels around so sound effects wouldn't kill the melody.
I mainly remember it being a huge pain in the rear end to figure out the quirks of the esoteric editors and very Japanese programs to work with the music format.

I probably still have those files lingering around somewhere...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FPzero posted:

Not yet, which is fine because I haven't had the capacity to record for the last week or so. But yeah if people want to send levels you can either post them in the thread, PM them to me or hell, message me on Twitter or SMWCentral if you make an account there for whatever reason.

I'll go first up against the firing squad.

Google Drive for .bps

This is a series of three levels that are probably too short and too easy, but this is an idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head for a while now.

EDIT:

Here's a kind of post-script to my series of levels. Don't read these until you've played them!

Level 1: This is in my opinion the "best" of my levels. The path to the second dragon coin is a bit hidden, but if you're paying attention to coin placement, you'll find it easily enough. My favorite bit is the hidden pipe just after the midpoint. You will only see it if you're paying extremely close attention and follow the line of coins going into nothing.

Level 2: Kind of short and really easy. You can climb the vines at the very start to find a somewhat tricky jump to get a feather. If you can take the feather all the way through the level, you can get the 5th dragon coin just before the exit. The key and keyhole is meant to be a hidden entrance to the fortress that makes up the next level.

Level 3: This level feels the most unfocused. I don't really like the starting section in the water, the spike hallway in particular. I actually originally had it one tile shorter in testing, but in practice it was actually impossible to get through without taking a hit. On playing through again, the "jumps over lava" bit feels really easy. None of the jumps are as tricky as anything in the first level, and there's only a couple gaps after the midpoint before you reach the end of the level.

As a little bit of environmental storytelling, the bridges after the midpoint are meant to be over top of other coin vaults, and the only reason you could get into the last one is because something happened to drain the lava out of it. That's why there's a couple tiles of "harmless" lava in the bottom of it.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 23, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

This is a series of three levels that are probably too short and too easy, but this is an idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head for a while now.

Too easy my rear end, I slid right into those munchers, you jerk :argh:

I thought it was pretty good, wouldn't feel too out of place in the original game.

Well then, here's my attempt, which is also a three level thing.

I have some comments, but it's probably better to save them for after playing the thing.

First level:
This is my actual literal First Mario Level Ever and I just started editing Yoshi's Island 1 since the editor opened with that.

I think it turned out decent, but maybe feels like it runs out of steam halfway through. It doesn't help that the one usable pipe it right at the start; probably putting it after the halfway point would have been better, in retrospect.

The water coming out of the pipes is pretty ugly, but I couldn't find a better graphic and wasn't about to start getting really fancy with it at this point.

I ended up adding the hint block in the cave because I figured a "normal" player would find it intuitive to put the spring under the coin arrow pointing to a block they can't reach, but someone who knows the engine more thoroughly would know that "it doesn't work like that". Of course, it's also pretty obvious that there's another block under the bridge to make sure it does what I want it to. Maybe there's one that would be less obvious but since I wanted more to just try and make a functional level, I Could Not Be Arsed to spend more time looking for one.

Second level:
I originally had the midway point on a platform in the lava pool several screens later, but then I got worried it was too far in since the path goes up and down a lot. And again, perhaps the second half feels like it runs out of steam. Perhaps it would, initially at least, be better for me to create more but shorter levels instead of trying to make "proper length" ones, even if the ones I've used as a basis are early, short levels.

I had originally intended to use a lot more of the spinning ball-on-chain thingies, but I noticed they started to glitch out when I did that. You can see several cement blocks in the ceiling early on where I used to have those but removed them. I had first thought to theme the level around climbing on grates and avoiding those, but since I couldn't fit as many as I liked, I started doing other stuff instead.

Third level:
I figured a water level would be the most different compared to the first two, so that's what I made.

...That said, you can mostly avoid the water by going in the pipes. It adds replay value ok

There's a flower at the start and a lot of fish because I like throwing fireballs at fish. There's no deeper meaning.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

vilkacis posted:

Well then, here's my attempt, which is also a three level thing.

The first level was pretty fun, though the time limit felt kinda restrictive. I got the springboard in the sub level and ran out of time shortly after getting to the midpoint.

The second level was a nice challenge. I did appreciate the one up in a block shortly after the midpoint. I also really liked the fireball/pencil combos in the second half. They made the platforming pretty fun challenges!

The third level was extremely hard if you left the water. I tried both alternate routes and both times I wound up dying to the bottom of the screen/lava. The second in particular, with the star chain, feels impossible to recover from if you lose your momentum at the second star. There's not enough room to jump onto the next muncher platform, and if you get stuck you have no recourse but to die