Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I read the thread title and I thought it said Sorcerer is so bad and I came in fully prepared to defend the 1977 cult classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sorcerer does have a disappointing lack of actual sorcery

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nobody I know gives a gently caress that americans don't play football. It's more like they are silly people, and proud of it, let them its their thing.

On other hand no matter how world champioships suck, there is something glorious how the entire world unites for once to kick ball and enhoy the gently caress out of it.

for Americanos here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01aV_PbiT30

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 25, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Belongs in the boomer thread lol.

She’s right you know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tongues posted:

Google "Calcio fiorentino" friend and wonder no more.

The fact that the winning team only receives a free meal makes this the best fist fighty ball sport ever.

Sekenr posted:

Nobody I know gives a gently caress that americans don't play football. It's more like they are silly people, and proud of it, let them its their thing.

On other hand no matter how world champioships suck, there is something glorious how the entire world unites for once to kick ball and enhoy the gently caress out of it.

for Americanos here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01aV_PbiT30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSd8CqBEbcY

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2019

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I dont know much about rugby other than every rugby player I've ever met has been a lesbian but not every lesbian I've ever met has been a rugby player

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think rugby roughly translates to basketball here in America in that regard

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Schweinhund posted:

Soccer needs to add a second ball to the game so there's more scoring. It's time to modernize the game.

This would own

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think soccer is cool and I dig that it's the world's sport and wish USA would embrace it but unfortunately I doubt it ever happens. Outside of like what, ATL, Orlando, Portland and Seattle nobody gives a gently caress about the MLS.

I think the thing that is most cringy is Americans who go extra hard on MLS copying stuff that fans do in the rest of the world that actually care about soccer. I saw a group of Revs fans come in a sports bar and made the bar change it to the Revs game because it wasn't even on and they had the full scarves and face paint on. I also heard about rival soccer hooligan gangs for the NY Red Bulls which in my head is a bunch of guys who watched Green Street Hooligans once and is just the most pathetic thing of all time. Gillette Stadium obviously holds both the Patriots and Revolution. One charges $50 to park and one is free. You can make that guess easily.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
MLS fan culture is loving cringeworthy as hell, no doubt, but it could be worse (look at like Italian fan culture, or Eastern European fan culture of choice) and I think it isn’t the worst thing about the league. If nothing else they’re asses in seats. Live attendance in MLS is actually pretty decent these days by world standards. If anything else about the league was as good as its attendance figures I’d be overjoyed.

Revs fans are a strange breed because they have been dragging their asses out to Foxboro 20 times a year for 20 years, during like 5 of which has the team been any good even by the league’s lovely standard. Anyone who’s still doing that by now has to be a bit touched.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So it's mostly white dudes who are into MLS, not ethnic minorities?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Woden posted:

So it's mostly white dudes who are into MLS, not ethnic minorities?

Also they all voted for Hillary rod ham clintom soccer lmao

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

skasion posted:

MLS fan culture is loving cringeworthy as hell, no doubt, but it could be worse (look at like Italian fan culture, or Eastern European fan culture of choice) and I think it isn’t the worst thing about the league. If nothing else they’re asses in seats. Live attendance in MLS is actually pretty decent these days by world standards. If anything else about the league was as good as its attendance figures I’d be overjoyed.

Revs fans are a strange breed because they have been dragging their asses out to Foxboro 20 times a year for 20 years, during like 5 of which has the team been any good even by the league’s lovely standard. Anyone who’s still doing that by now has to be a bit touched.

Kraft should move the team to Boston proper with like a 13k capacity stadium. I think it'd be bonkers for the team. But I guess he's too busy with handjobs or whatever.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Tim Whatley posted:

I think soccer is cool and I dig that it's the world's sport and wish USA would embrace it but unfortunately I doubt it ever happens. Outside of like what, ATL, Orlando, Portland and Seattle nobody gives a gently caress about the MLS.

I think the thing that is most cringy is Americans who go extra hard on MLS copying stuff that fans do in the rest of the world that actually care about soccer. I saw a group of Revs fans come in a sports bar and made the bar change it to the Revs game because it wasn't even on and they had the full scarves and face paint on. I also heard about rival soccer hooligan gangs for the NY Red Bulls which in my head is a bunch of guys who watched Green Street Hooligans once and is just the most pathetic thing of all time. Gillette Stadium obviously holds both the Patriots and Revolution. One charges $50 to park and one is free. You can make that guess easily.

My best friend is one of those cringy rear end fans and it is so annoying. He like went to England a fee years back and now as a result of he is the biggest fan of like some Scottish team I want to say glassgow and will like talk about how great they are and how he will wake up at 3 in the morning to watch them. It's pretty lame but other than that he is cool

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016
Soccer is fuckin dope because it allows for a huge license for creativity that a great sport like american football does not allow for. The best american football highlights you'll find are barry sanders. The man was athletic enough but he was not a freak of nature, he was also a genius of the game. Compare messi, or a lesser dude like totti or pirlo, and sanders' highlights look like dogshit. The best sports allow for individual creative brilliance, soccer is one of the highest among those, along with hockey and gretzky, and that's why it's so good.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

soccer is like chess it’s all about positioning like sometimes you kick the ball behind you and charge forward and your teammate kicks it back to you past the opponent and if you keep that going and you might finally hit that 0-0 tiebreaker

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I don’t get why people complain about how long soccer goal celebrations go on for. Compare the length of goal celebrations in other sports to how long it takes to score and you’ll find the amount of time is properly scaled

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
They should really go metric, make it two 50 minute halfs, no extra time

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf posted:

Soccer is fuckin dope because it allows for a huge license for creativity that a great sport like american football does not allow for. The best american football highlights you'll find are barry sanders. The man was athletic enough but he was not a freak of nature, he was also a genius of the game. Compare messi, or a lesser dude like totti or pirlo, and sanders' highlights look like dogshit. The best sports allow for individual creative brilliance, soccer is one of the highest among those, along with hockey and gretzky, and that's why it's so good.

yeah i like watching guys where its like holy poo poo is a human being really doing this? last time i remember seeing it in football was lamar jackson at louisville.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Americans just don't get soccer, but I genuinely hope they will one day

fans chanting at a seattle game -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQJwuIxtCU jfc lmao

Compare this cringefest to a low-tier indonesian club -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe5lr6tGEaM
or just about any team from argentina ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5TAYRug7Mw

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
the fans are the worst part of all sports hth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nooner posted:

My best friend is one of those cringy rear end fans and it is so annoying. He like went to England a fee years back and now as a result of he is the biggest fan of like some Scottish team I want to say glassgow and will like talk about how great they are and how he will wake up at 3 in the morning to watch them. It's pretty lame but other than that he is cool

Every (Glasgow) Rangers and (Glasgow) Celtic fan is a mentalist. The clubs are built around sectarian rivalries and have literally fanatical followings. It's insanely tribal even by football standards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheMaskedUgly posted:

They should really go metric, make it two 50 minute halfs, no extra time

Please don't further incentivise timewasting. Even with the referee allowed to add on as much time as he wants Cardiff managed to have two games this season where the ball was in play for less than 45 of the 90 minutes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tim Whatley posted:

I also heard about rival soccer hooligan gangs for the NY Red Bulls which in my head is a bunch of guys who watched Green Street Hooligans once and is just the most pathetic thing of all time.

Most of them are central/south Americans ime. But NY area stuff is a crazy mix of just about everyone.

If you’re adventurous you get to chant in other languages:
Baila metro baila
Baila del corazon
Viva la coca, la marijuana, la prostitution

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nooner posted:

There's a few people in Boston like that. NBC did some soccer thing near Fenway for the Premier League recently and it was basically a line of people with soccer scarves and gear of Premier League teams in the middle of New England winter at 8am waiting to get in and order pints. It was like LARPing for 30-something year old yuppies.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Tim Whatley posted:

I think the thing that is most cringy is Americans who go extra hard on MLS copying stuff that fans do in the rest of the world that actually care about soccer. I saw a group of Revs fans come in a sports bar and made the bar change it to the Revs game because it wasn't even on and they had the full scarves and face paint on.

the cringiest thing about MLS isn't the fans, it's people who don't shut the gently caress up about fans.

i like how the absolute dumbest sports like lacrosse get a free pass but soccer fans owning a scarf is suddenly the cringiest thing in the universe. there are plenty of things to be mad about in sports that you don't need to go out and invent more. as a German the whole goofy HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME I THINK MLS IS DUMB AREN'T I SO SMART schtick Americans do to impress other soccer fans is probably at least ten million times worse than some scrandom watching a game at a bar with a scarf

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Who would ever give lacrosse a pass? Both the players and the fans are terrible, both are full of rich MAGA shitheads. It's arguably worse.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I knew a guy who would wake up at stupid hours to watch Arsenal, despite never having been or knowing anyone from there. He just wanted a footie team and chose them and he would not miss a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

the cringiest thing about MLS isn't the fans, it's people who don't shut the gently caress up about fans.

i like how the absolute dumbest sports like lacrosse get a free pass but soccer fans owning a scarf is suddenly the cringiest thing in the universe. there are plenty of things to be mad about in sports that you don't need to go out and invent more. as a German the whole goofy HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME I THINK MLS IS DUMB AREN'T I SO SMART schtick Americans do to impress other soccer fans is probably at least ten million times worse than some scrandom watching a game at a bar with a scarf

Let me guess, you wear a soccer scarf