Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/08/denver-psychedelic-magic-mushroom/

quote:

Denver is poised to become the first city in the nation to effectively decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms.

After trailing in results postings Tuesday night and early Wednesday, final unofficial results just posted showed a reversal of fortune — with Initiative 301 set to pass narrowly with 50.6 percent of the vote. The total stands at 89,320 votes in favor and 87,341 against, a margin of 1,979.

The Denver Elections Division expects to continue accepting military and overseas ballots, but typically those numbers are small. Results will be certified May 16.

“It’s been one hell of a 21-and-a-half hours,” Initiative 301 campaign manager Kevin Matthews said. “If these results hold, this is an example of the absurd comedy of the great metaphor. Against all odds, we prevailed. This is what happens when a small team of dedicated and passionate people unite under a single idea to create change.”

Though the initiative attracted no organized opposition, critics of Colorado’s legalization of marijuana lamented the prospect of Denver blazing yet another trail they saw as misguided and potentially harmful.

Supporters appealed to voters’ open-mindedness. They extolled emerging research showing potential health benefits of psychedelic mushrooms. Last fall, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted psilocybin “breakthrough therapy” designation for its potential to help with treatment-resistant depression, a status that speeds up the development and review process for a medicine containing the substance.

As written, I-301 directs police via ordinance to treat enforcement of laws against possession of psilocybin mushrooms as their lowest priority.

It’s similar to decriminalization measures approved by Denver voters for marijuana years before Colorado’s Amendment 64 won statewide approval.

While efforts are afoot to get psilocybin-related measures on the ballot in Oregon and California in 2020, Denver hosted the first-ever U.S. popular vote on the matter, according to organizers. An earlier effort in California last year failed to qualify for the ballot.

“Our victory here is a clear signal to the rest of the country that we’re ready for a broader conversation around psilocybin and its potential benefits,” said Matthews, a 33-year-old stay-at-home dad.

On Tuesday night, based on a losing margin of several percentage points at the time, the Centennial Institute at Colorado Christian University applauded Denver voters “for opposing the decriminalization of psychedelic mushrooms.” Director Jeff Hunt added: “Voters took an important step back from embracing yet another illicit drug.”

Turns out, he jumped the gun in predicting its demise.

The gap tightened throughout the night, and by 1 a.m. Wednesday, when Denver Elections put out its last release before pausing counting for the night, the measure still was losing by a 3.4-percentage-point margin. It overcame that margin by the end of the main count, just after 4 p.m.

Matthews was “on pins and needles” waiting for the final results, he said earlier Wednesday, but noted: “We’re thrilled that we made it even this far.”

Psychedelic mushrooms still would remain illegal to buy, sell or possess, with the latter crime a felony that carries a potential punishment of up to a year in prison and a fine. Initiative 301 backers hope to lower the risk users face of getting caught with mushrooms.

Initiative 301 calls for Denver to create a panel to monitor the effects and implementation of the ordinance.

Every vote counts, at least in local elections. This only seems to have passed by ~0.6%.

:flip: Nixon, Bush, Clinton, the infinite amount of money wasted by this stupid country :flip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Well time to move to Denver if it passes :catdrugs:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Maybe they'll stop having a mass shooting every year now

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Legalize ALL drugs imo.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is good news.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This is cool and all but when was the last time someone got arrested for shrooms? I'm sure it happens, but are there even such things as drug dogs that detect shrooms? The market has to be fairly miniscule compared to weed, and without money to seize, where is the current incentive from law enforcement? Either way I hope this passes, Psychedelics own

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

It's funny, it's like with so many other places legalizing weed, Denver needed something else to keep the drug tourist $$$ flowing in.

Come to Denver for the legal weed mushrooms. :2bong:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

imo shrooms should be added to the water supply of every major city and it would make the world a much better place.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Good, I'm glad.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

imo shrooms should be added to the water supply of every major city and it would make the world a much better place.

roving death squads making sure the citizens drink their water, each of them painted with pink floyd album covers like that dorm room poster but with body armor instead of women

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

It's funny, it's like with so many other places legalizing weed, Denver needed something else to keep the drug tourist $$$ flowing in.

Come to Denver for the legal weed mushrooms. :2bong:

Yeah because decrim and legal are the same thing.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

This will only be seen as good and there will be no adverse consequences at all. Now we can free the thousands of felons convicted of mushroom possession

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Pawn 17 posted:

Legalize ALL drugs imo.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This is cool and all but when was the last time someone got arrested for shrooms? I'm sure it happens, but are there even such things as drug dogs that detect shrooms? The market has to be fairly miniscule compared to weed, and without money to seize, where is the current incentive from law enforcement? Either way I hope this passes, Psychedelics own

Happened on livepd a few days ago. Was hilarious, the cops were amazed to actually see shrooms. Said they have only seen then like 3 times in 5 years.

That said as a relatively responsible adult with kids and stuff in denver I now feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of growing some in my basement now that the proposal passed. (For personal use)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i want to take a steaming hot liquid poo poo on a DEA officers face one day

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
yeah, how cool, we decriminalized the shrooms after years of oppression

but soundly defeated the controversial "right to survive" bill so we can keep oppressing far more vulnerable people

:rolleyes:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
next legalize gun ownership

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah actually after thinking about some of the reasoning behind the naysayers im cool with people not camping all over the place downtown. i voted for it tho and also for shrooms gently caress yeah

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yesterday they said it wasn't gonna pass and it made it by like 1% so it was like even worth it to vote

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mushrooms + barr getting wtfpwned today has been a good day politically

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even in states where weed is legal, in practice it is only legal for white people. i doubt it will be any different for denver and shrooms.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats straight up wrong nerd

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even in states where weed is legal, in practice it is only legal for white people. i doubt it will be any different for denver and shrooms.

i see minorities in my weed store all the time dude

sorry for your back asswards state i guess :shrug:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 4, 2020

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a lot of the other options i heard were pretty good, like making housing around denver loving affordable for the pay the jobs have

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey you live in a $15/hr economy and rent is gonna be $1500/mo, let's all go be homeless

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you stupid fucks, lets make it easier to be oppressed

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marijuanamancer posted:

yeah actually after thinking about some of the reasoning behind the naysayers im cool with people not camping all over the place downtown. i voted for it tho and also for shrooms gently caress yeah

anti-camping bans were passed as a reactionary measure against the occupy movement. they have since been used almost exclusively to target and harass homeless people

those homeless people exist already. they're not going anywhere. "right to survive" just reduces the amount of targeted oppression from police. saying "its cool they don't camp all over downtown" ignores the struggle these people face every day. there aren't enough shelters and people already just sleep wherever they can. you're not reducing homelessness, you're just oppressing them out of sight which is hosed up.

its going to cost the state a bunch of money anyway because the 9th circuit court of appeals just set the precedent that anti-camping bans are unconstitutional so get ready for the state to pay out the rear end in legal fees to lose a fight over this.

criminalizing homelessness is morally and legally wrong

marijuanamancer posted:

a lot of the other options i heard were pretty good, like making housing around denver loving affordable for the pay the jobs have

lmao, what other options are you even talking about? there are no other options on offer. that's the ploy, the con, and you fell for it. "we can do better" was the slogan i kept hearing, and their plan for doing better: lol, literally nothing

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here is a person mad at me for wanting a living wage

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marijuanamancer posted:

here is a person mad at me for wanting a living wage

guy, that wasn't something on the ballot. its not something real; you're talking about your dreams here

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
hmm surprising forums user marijuanamancer has stupid hippie ideas

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got more tricks just watch

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gas

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
legalize cum

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
can't wait to see the funny vines!!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

it's less that you're likely to get arrested, and more that illegal shrooms are sketchy as gently caress

it's a whole lot better to be able to just get a bunch from a dispensary where you know you're getting psilocybin cubensis or whatever, instead of buying from a street dealer or darknet source that might gently caress up and accidentally give you amanita muscaria or some similarly not-fun kind of mushroom

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its true there was a thing, out of ~9,500 there were like 11 mushroom related convictions. so it is kind of just formalizing an informal thing. so... not a big deal?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's less that you're likely to get arrested, and more that illegal shrooms are sketchy as gently caress

it's a whole lot better to be able to just get a bunch from a dispensary where you know you're getting psilocybin cubensis or whatever, instead of buying from a street dealer or darknet source that might gently caress up and accidentally give you amanita muscaria or some similarly not-fun kind of mushroom

that's not what the ballot initiative did

it deprioritizes mushrooms for police enforcement. its decriminalization, not legalization. you can't buy them at a store

yes, all drugs would be better to come from regulated sources, but that's not what this was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its the first step mj took, it is the process that has worked before