Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Problem description: I recently upgraded my computer from a windows 7 machine to windows 10. New RAM, MOBO, and CPU. The install process took a few days, as it constantly failed and the machine would suffer endless bluescreens. A few formats later, I was able to boot into windows, but I kept getting memory errors. I replaced the ram, and it seemed to be doing better; I don't seem to be getting BSODs while the computer is on. However, it won't reliably restart or power on. If I do get a bluescreen, the computer will try to restart, but won't ever load even the BIOS splash. My keyboard powers on, and I hear the fans blowing, and the computer lights engage, but nothing happens. No signal ever goes to my monitor or anything. I have to switch it off, and then try again. Usually, one or two times and my machine will boot fine. This happens with nearly every restart. SOmetimes, when I got to power my machine down, it will BSOD and attempt to restart.

Attempted fixes: I changed the power settings(turned off fast startup, sleep and hibernate), replaced RAM, did chkdsk

Recent changes: It's basically a new build with a fresh windows 10 install
--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Crucial 256 Gig SSD, Radeon RX 580, 16 gigs aegis gskill ddr4 @ 2400, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six-core, MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470 Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 Onboard Graphics CFX ATX Motherboard (X470 Gaming Plus)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Have you tried reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch completely fresh instead of upgrading from 7? Always install an OS fresh-fresh. Otherwise sounds like your mobo (and maybe bios) is failing. What error does the blue screen give you?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, I did a full format and install a couple times. One of the last errors I can remember is error code 0xc000021a, error code 0xc0000185, process1 initialization failed, and kernel initialization.

I just took a look in the event viewer and it is chock full of errors. 598 of them

One that is repeating is the application specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server with CLSID

Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation

dwm.exe faulting

ALl kinds of junk. Is there a way to generate a report of these?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What PSU are you using and how old is it?

Do you just have the one SSD and no others?

Steps I'd take:

1. I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if that changes anything.
2. If that doesn't help then run http://memtest.org/ overnight at some point.
3. Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I didn't abandon this thread, just got super busy. Here are some of the recent event logs.

quote:

Faulting application name: LCore.exe, version: 9.2.65.0, time stamp: 0x5bb72085
Faulting module name: Qt5Gui.dll, version: 5.3.2.0, time stamp: 0x54738474
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000006c390
Faulting process id: 0x2d4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d51b0b2792e43d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\LCore.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\Qt5Gui.dll
Report Id: 17b5e151-6741-45a5-af31-2ebc4f7fd176
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

quote:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation.

quote:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-EKR9I4Q\Kyle SID (S-1-5-21-552450365-3130245583-3404927239-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

quote:

Name resolution for the name settings-win.data.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

quote:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

quote:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume3.
({Write Protect Error}
The disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume %hs in drive %hs.)

quote:

The description for Event ID 0 from source OVRServiceLauncher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

[LauncherService] Unable to launch: There is no active interactive user session.

Looking through all this nonsense, is this a harddrive problem?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
But none of this happened until I swapped out my mobo, cpu, ram, and installed Win 10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could run CDI and see if it finds any issues:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/71020/CrystalDiskInfo8_1_0.exe/

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I had it open for a few minutes, and I was going to lasso tool a screen shot, but I bluescreened with a win32kbase.sys error. But I believe it said 90% good. My next plan is to try to update my bios, if I can get into windows.

Edit- finally updating my bios now

Narzack fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I updated my bios, did a full format and reinstall of window 10. Then, instead of using the drivers on the disk that came with my mobo, I went to the website to manually install the audio drivers and ati's drivers for my video card. Things seem stable so far. I'll check back in a few days to update if that ended up working.