Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

corn on the cop posted:

british lads showing some solid stones in this game

We definitely did and I am very happy we put three past the US, and that final goal was a wicked shot.

I’m feeling better about our chances of staying up. We should be able to beat France but who the hell knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I always enjoy seeing new teams come up from division so I'm rooting for the brits. :toot:

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Lol poor slovakia.. giving up the lead in the last minute their last 2 games

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Angry Asian posted:

Lol poor slovakia.. giving up the lead in the last minute their last 2 games

It'll be interesting to see how group A shakes out. Germany's 4-0 so far, including a win over Slovakia, but they haven't played Canada, Finland, or USA yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a one of Denmark or Germany sneak into the knockout round over Slovakia at this rate.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
stupid sexy kakko

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Kakko keeps on looking good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I really wonder what the Devils are thinking about all this

Hughes hasn't had the opportunity to do much or contribute much to a stacked US team while Kakko is pretty much unarguably Finland's most talented player, and at this point it's a bit easy to forget how dominant Hughes has been all the way up until now

But...Hughes is still a great talent who plays center and has ties to the Devils org

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
He could've had five points against GB yesterday but kept getting owned by bars and Bowns. Regardless I suspect they've already had final scouting meetings

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think that NJ would have to have decided that Kakko is definitely better than Hughes and will be better than Hughes in the future in order for them to pick him. This might make them think that it's really close and maybe even, but that's not the same as being convinced that Kakko is definitely better

e:

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1129103091330981888

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

I think I’m starting to get where you are where I’ll be disappointed if the Devils take Kakko. I’m getting too emotionally invested in Kakko.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jovial Cow posted:

I think I’m starting to get where you are where I’ll be disappointed if the Devils take Kakko. I’m getting too emotionally invested in Kakko.

I'm starting to get nervous af not gonna lie. I already don't trust Ray's drafting from the Zacha/McLeod debacles although at least he correctly took Hischier over Patrick (and some of their late round picks have been pretty decent, Bratt being the obvious one).

I think Hughes will be very good, but they need him to be very good next year if they want to keep Hall.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Shero took over for Lou in May of 2015 and Conte was still on board for his last draft. I'd let him slide for that one. If Blackwood manages to continue his early success then they salvaged it.

McLeod aside, Castron's done a fairly good job with finding depth talent and they didn't have anything to work with last year. They could really use a pop from some of their interesting depth pieces but lucking out on two top-flight centers gives them a significant boost forward.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I'm starting to get nervous af not gonna lie. I already don't trust Ray's drafting from the Zacha/McLeod debacles although at least he correctly took Hischier over Patrick (and some of their late round picks have been pretty decent, Bratt being the obvious one).

I think Hughes will be very good, but they need him to be very good next year if they want to keep Hall.

Eh, doesn't Hall know Hughes? And if he's looking at Hischier and Hughes down the middle for the next 10 years and he is guaranteed to be riding shotgun with one of them I suspect he can be sold on re-signing even if the Devils are a bubble team next year.\

e: I mean, Hall and Kakko both shoot left, and is Kappo Kakko being centered by Zacha or Zajac or whoever really going to be as advantageous?

I ultimately think it's going to be more about the $$ the Devils offer and moves other than who exactly they draft this season.

I've also been watching some shift by shift videos of Hughes at this WC and honestly he looks really good. He's going to be a transition/zone entry beast and he's great at continuing to move around but in a smart way (not just blindly chasing the puck all around the ice). For his first exposure to playing against pros I don't think he's doing anything to hurt his stock. I'd say scouts are watching him and saying "you can see how his crazy skills are going to work at the higher level once he gets used to the level of play"

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 16, 2019

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
yes, yes, soothe me with your logic friends

I do wonder how much Boqvist is gonna factor into the equation, he is also a C and he is starting to look like a steal for the Devils at where they got him. I think he is at most a year away (would love to see him in the AHL next season if he doesn't make the Devils).

Anyway it will be cool to see Devils/Rangers games mattering again in the near future.

e: Actually Eliteprospects has Boqvist listed as a LW now? I thought for sure he was a C

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 17, 2019

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's kinda more how everyone thought the US would look with that roster. Easily their best game so far.

e: Canada playing their best game today, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uanc_avNnKk

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

T-Bone posted:

That's kinda more how everyone thought the US would look with that roster. Easily their best game so far.

e: Canada playing their best game today, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uanc_avNnKk

Mantha has looked great this Tourney.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That US win should clinch all the teams advancing to the QF

It will be some combination of games between US/Finland/Canada/Germany and Russia/Sweden/Switzerland/Czech Republic.

e: US added Luke Kunin too with Gaudreau day to day.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 19, 2019

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Nuts!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
get the gently caress in britain you beauts

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Whatever was said during that timeout clearly worked. Hell of a comeback. :britain:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I basically saw only the OT, but what a game :britain:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

GG Britain finest hour!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That was a great OT goal too, what poise to make that move there. Just reinforces how loving good every pro hockey player is, dude is like middle six EIHL player.

I think the US is locked into 1st-3rd? Finland has the easiest shot at 1st (beat Germany in regulation). In this case the winner of US/Canada would get 2nd (loser getting 3rd and Germany 4th).

On the other side, if Russia wins they finish 1st. I have no idea what happens if Sweden and the Czechs win in regulation. That'd be a three way tie with all teams having beaten each other, so probably some goal differential tiebreaker. The Czechs and Swiss actually have sneaky good rosters, I don't think there's an easy QF game for anyone from the US/Canada bracket.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1130531265092902912

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1130521156849680385

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yay Britain not super invested in them but they're a nice story given how their programme has come along.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

T-Bone posted:

That was a great OT goal too, what poise to make that move there. Just reinforces how loving good every pro hockey player is, dude is like middle six EIHL player.

I think the US is locked into 1st-3rd? Finland has the easiest shot at 1st (beat Germany in regulation). In this case the winner of US/Canada would get 2nd (loser getting 3rd and Germany 4th).

On the other side, if Russia wins they finish 1st. I have no idea what happens if Sweden and the Czechs win in regulation. That'd be a three way tie with all teams having beaten each other, so probably some goal differential tiebreaker. The Czechs and Swiss actually have sneaky good rosters, I don't think there's an easy QF game for anyone from the US/Canada bracket.

The Swiss have shown before that they can be really good and Nino just joined them, depending on what the Sharks do, Timo Meier might join them too. Then again, they got outclassed by mean playing Russians and the Sweden game wasn't that hot either. Not sure what will happen with them in the next round.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Playmobile rink broke again and they just decided to just keep playing since there's apparently no-one around to fix this poo poo, lol.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So who wins if the building collapses in the middle of a game?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

bloom posted:

So who wins if the building collapses in the middle of a game?

All I can tell you is probably don't invest in eastern europe.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
And they hosed up an other game without really being forced into it. Really wonder if they'll be more efficient in the coming games and get themselves into less trouble with stupid penalties.
At least Nino has arrived.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Finland locked into 2nd place in Group A. Whoever wins CAN/USA wins the group. USA can finish anywhere from 1st to 4th.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1130859365513039872?s=19

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
two just awful turnovers by the US

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jeff Blashill should prolly not be coaching at the NHL or international level

It's crazy how disorganized the US look, even for a short tournament.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 21, 2019

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
this team has looked booty all tournament. at least it'll be over thursday

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Malkin to Ovechkin :chanpop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSZ2atFmSY

So it's gonna be the US vs Russia. The US haven't show anything in this tournament that leads me to believe they won't lose like 5-2 or something but short tournaments are notoriously weird

corn on the cop posted:

this team has looked booty all tournament. at least it'll be over thursday

It's even more irritating watching a disorganized team full of guys like Kane/Keller/Eichel/Gaudreau because they just look floaty and disinterested, like it's not even like they're heroically defending/grinding to stay in it. They're a ridiculously talented team with absolutely zero cohesion. Like the early 2002 Devils or something

Canada/Switzerland
Russia/US
Finland/Sweden
Czechs/Germany

I think?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2019

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Looking forward to that Finland vs Sweden game. :getin:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Finland better bring something better than the :flaccid: rear end performances we had against Germany and France if we wanna take out Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

bloom posted:

Finland better bring something better than the :flaccid: rear end performances we had against Germany and France if we wanna take out Sweden.

It really shows that the only thing going for Finland is Kaapo Kakko. He's basically only a postage stamp away from being a NHL-player anyway, and Germany managed to dampen Finland's game by checking him out.