Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
greece's entry is extremely catchy and good, it just wasn't good live. and the video is dumb. but it's a good song. still listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I honestly did like Italy, I'm just surprised it did well at all. Could not remember even the name of the winner though, had to look it up.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Hearing that Norway had technical issues during their jury-relevant performance and were not allowed a redo legit pisses me off. If it's not a live broadcast and you had legit problems during your first try, why the gently caress would you not get a second one?!?!?

Eat the juries.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Think Norway only placed 11th with the jury vote in their semifinal, so I guess it's just a matter of the juries not appreciating a good song.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ritznit posted:

Hearing that Norway had technical issues during their jury-relevant performance and were not allowed a redo legit pisses me off. If it's not a live broadcast and you had legit problems during your first try, why the gently caress would you not get a second one?!?!?

They're on an insanely tight schedule.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They're on an insanely tight schedule.

Makes sense.

Still, eat the juries.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Dutch song is actually good, but even listening now, I still don't understand what the judges liked about North Macedonia.

Best one for me was Slovenia. I got their album, and all the songs are pretty much what you'd expect. Predictable in a good way.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

pidan posted:

The Dutch song is actually good, but even listening now, I still don't understand what the judges liked about North Macedonia.

Best one for me was Slovenia. I got their album, and all the songs are pretty much what you'd expect. Predictable in a good way.

I respect your taste in really calm, generic music, but I don't agree with it.

I did buy the French performer's album though because I liked the song and I'm going to support the gay agenda. Next time I get some spare cash I'll get some downloads of the singles, maybe Hatari's album because that poo poo rocks.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/kitlovelace/status/1130077109051899904

Thread for musicians and people interested in musical nerdery.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

My wife speaks Dutch and has been following the news. It seems that it's 50% going batshit over the win which is :unsmith: and 50% criticising this year's announcers for showing "too much emotion" over the win because the Dutch gonna Dutch, lol

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Jollity Farm posted:

https://twitter.com/kitlovelace/status/1130077109051899904

Thread for musicians and people interested in musical nerdery.

Oh hey I was going to post that too, it’s a great analysis.

TLDR: the UK keep sending songs in the Major tonal keys, when almost all successful songs at Eurovision nowadays are in a moodier Minor key.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

My wife speaks Dutch and has been following the news. It seems that it's 50% going batshit over the win which is :unsmith: and 50% criticising this year's announcers for showing "too much emotion" over the win because the Dutch gonna Dutch, lol

I haven't heard that sentiment yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. Nice and hypocritical considering this is one of the most beloved commentary moments in sports History.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
ah yes, famously hot blooded and emotional people, the dutch

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's why their tomatoes are so bland, as a counterbalance.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Lambert posted:

That's why their tomatoes are so bland, as a counterbalance.

And their cheese.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EmUmbhDRiY Norway wins for best video, too

also, for next year please get Paul De Leeuw to present. I was rewatching the 2006 edition and relived this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJCnA7raCow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Goon meetup Netherlands May 2020 :cmon:

smoke hella dank and get gay

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS4YLbgVucg

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/20/madonna-edits-eurovision-vocals-uploading-performance-youtube-low-key-iconic-9605606/

That's a Lol. You don't get to hide after being seen live by millions of people. Best you can do is suck it up and carry on.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 22, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The brit singer threw a tantrum too, blaming it on people not liking brits and whatnot.

Nobody in the UK really gives a drat about him though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

The brit singer threw a tantrum too, blaming it on people not liking brits and whatnot.

I mean he's not wrong

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I mean he's not wrong

The song sucked, being all whiny about losing and blaming everyone else doesn't help.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I mean he's not wrong
How do you divorce being unrelatable reptilians in politics from creating unrelatable reptilian music to determine if it's one or the other?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
THE FIX IS IN

https://twitter.com/wiwibloggs/status/1131250854047174656

literally shaking rn

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

quote:

26: United Kingdom (11 points) / – 5 points

lol.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

quote:

“The Belarusian jury was dismissed following the reveal of their votes from the first Semi-Final which is contrary to the rules of the Eurovision Song Contest. In order to comply with the Contest’s voting regulations, the EBU worked with its voting partner digame to create a substitute aggregated result (calculated based on the results of other countries with similar voting records), which was approved by voting monitor Ernst & Young, to determine the Belarusian jury votes for the Grand Final.”

“The EBU can confirm, following standard review practices, we have discovered that due to a human error an incorrect aggregated result was used. This had no impact on the calculation of points derived from televoting across the 41 participating countries and the overall winner and Top 4 songs of the Contest remain unchanged.”

Lmao that’s nuts. “Our imaginary result was inaccurate, we’ve now swapped it for a different imaginary result”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
lmao finally got that job at Ernst & Young honey, i'll be auditing aggregated eurovision results from compromised juries its very exciting

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
:belarus:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Before the thread gets locked, here is a pink cockatoo dancing to 2018 winner "Toy". I don't yet know what the cockatoo community thinks of this year's winner tho.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

At least the UK didn't get nil points like Jemini in 2003 (poo poo, that long ago?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

Even the painfully inadequate Josh Dubovie got ten points (he has subsequently changed his name to distance himself from the shame).

But when you have a percentage of the UK public and a lot of the printed media saying "we hate everything about Europe and don't get me started on it's people!", it's hardly surprising the UK would fare badly at a Europe wide competition.

I'm certainly up for hopping on Eurostar and going there for the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest.

Edit: formatting

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 23, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The switch act this year was legit the best one since Glow and Love Love Peace Peace.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

spookygonk posted:

At least the UK didn't get nil points like Jemini in 2003 (poo poo, that long ago?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

Even the painfully inadequate Josh Dubovie got ten points (he has subsequently changed his name to distance himself from the shame).

But when you have a percentage of the UK public and a lot of the printed media saying "we hate everything about Europe and don't get me started on it's people!", it's hardly surprising the UK would fare badly at a Europe wide competition.

I'm certainly up for hopping on Eurostar and going there for the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest.

Edit: formatting

Or, hear me out on this, it was a poo poo song just like all the other years you lost badly. :thunk:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

100% the only dong people will remember come next Eurosong Contest.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I remember exactly nothing of Michael Rice's song and act. It was boring and brought nothing to the table but mediocrity.

Edit: or so I assume because I just don't remember.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy84LnL_ghA

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

The General posted:

I remember exactly nothing of Michael Rice's song and act. It was boring and brought nothing to the table but mediocrity.

Edit: or so I assume because I just don't remember.

And you can be sure the UK will send something that sounds similar (to that or to some other song that didn't do very well in previous years) next year, and the year after, and forever unto infinity, because the dough-brained dullards in charge cannot conceive of doing anything differently, so are going to keep doing the thing that doesn't work until it somehow magically does. Very much like our politics in that regard :britain:

Also, this:

is some good stuff. Hatari + Palestine = yes.

Jollity Farm fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 24, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really liked the electro swing act they sent. Send more stuff like that. Might not be a winner but it's entertaining.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Official audio of Mans Zelmerlow singing Fuego:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJhO7xie3Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Elevator Screamer posted:

100% the only dong people will remember come next Eurosong Contest.

that's one hell of a typo