Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Slashrat posted:

It's not super complicated. Here, have a super high-quality chart of how it works out:

I haven’t re-watched the show, so some of this might be a bit off, but I think the complication comes from trying to create a linear path from start to finish.

The 12 Monkeys loop path that Fitz is convinced about is fairly straight forward. The team is abducted into the future, Fitz takes the long way, they all return, Fitz makes the time machine, the future triggers the abduction and returns the team. The loop is broken because it just is.

It’s when you start with an origin timeline that you go cross-eyed.

The earth is destroyed, and there’s no time abduction yet. Fitz makes the time machine, the future triggers the abduction and return, triggering timeline 2. Timeline 2 has a time abduction, Fitz takes the long way there, and here’s where it breaks down. The returning team doesn’t contain Fitz, because he never took the long way to the future in the original timeline. This also means there’s no-one to make the time machine and abduct the team in timeline 2, so Fitz won’t meet anyone in the future.

We can assume that someone else makes the time machine in timeline 2, based on Gemma having seen the time machine built by Fitz 1, which allows the timeline to continue. Fitz meets up with the team, now abducted from timeline 3, and returns with them to that timeline. Timeline 3 now has Fitz to make the time machine, and more importantly, Deke. Timeline 3 takes the team from timeline 4 and returns them there with Deke, who is the secret ingredient for saving the world as we know it.

After all, we know that comic book characters can overcome impossible odds when also overcoming great internal struggle. That’s how they win fights. Sure, Daisy has had to deal with both of her parents being monsters, her boyfriend is dead, her adoptive father figure is dying, and is destined to be the destroyer of Earth, but it’s only in timeline 4 that she has to deal with the fact that life, literally, gave her lemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm guess they'll eventually get up to the current, or near current time, but by then things will be so hosed up it'll be totally different, maybe something like the framework?

“We’re in 2018! Mobile reception, how I’ve missed you!”

“How’s the timeline looking? Fingers crossed for ripples and not waves.”

“Everything seems to be on track. Thanos is currently landing on Wakanda for the Infinity Stones as we speak.”

“Thanos? Infinity Stones? I assume this is something we need to stop from happening.”

“Don’t worry about it, the Avengers defeat him on their first try”.

*Everyone turns to dust*

FIN