Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

goth smoking cloves posted:

Tooru and the Head Doctor are this universe's Doppio and Diavolo?

Wouldn't Part 9 be Golden Wind + Stone Ocean, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So was that pipe/straw that sprayed out Jobin’s blood something that appeared as part of the “disaster” or was it a stand attack of some kind from Tooru?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So was that pipe/straw that sprayed out Jobin’s blood something that appeared as part of the “disaster” or was it a stand attack of some kind from Tooru?

It was part of the disaster, specifically the top of the spray can that had exploded a few pages before that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

overmind2000 posted:

If his power requires that you look at his back before it can activate then he's setting it up so that he can kill whoever enters the room.

oh poo poo, it's evil Speedwagon with alt-Cheap Trick

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Technowolf posted:

Wouldn't Part 9 be Golden Wind + Stone Ocean, though?

there hasn't been a hard and fast rule in terms of what parts both 7 and 8 draw from. i mean, gently caress, one of the primary plot elements of 2 is the pillar men and 8 heavily features rock people which are pretty much an alternate take on that sort of thing

that said, part of me is hoping that a theoretical part 9 either features a girl jojo again or it's something goofy like twin siblings due to gappy's quad nads (come on you know araki would do this even if it makes little sense. especially if it makes little sense) and one of them is a girl

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

there hasn't been a hard and fast rule in terms of what parts both 7 and 8 draw from. i mean, gently caress, one of the primary plot elements of 2 is the pillar men and 8 heavily features rock people which are pretty much an alternate take on that sort of thing

that said, part of me is hoping that a theoretical part 9 either features a girl jojo again or it's something goofy like twin siblings due to gappy's quad nads (come on you know araki would do this even if it makes little sense. especially if it makes little sense) and one of them is a girl

Maybe we can get Acutally Gay Jojo this time instead of an editorially-mandated copout like Stone Ocean.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VA is already the actually gay part, but another wouldn't hurt

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The whistleblower falling apart was creepy, but the most disturbing thing in this chapter is Akefu talking like he's not some kind of disembodied reflection.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Technowolf posted:

Maybe we can get Acutally Gay Jojo this time instead of an editorially-mandated copout like Stone Ocean.

is there any actual source that lesbian annasui was supposed to be a thing and not just another thing araki changed his mind about

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

Do we actually know what's the deal with the rock people yet? I'm assuming every antagonist aside from Jobin has been one so far including possibly Tooru?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah part 8 has drawn on references to every part at this point, even part 7 if the calamity stand is really called Crazy Train. It’s almost enough to make me worry that it’s the last one, perish the thought.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
part 8 is going to end with yet another world reset, only this time around it brings us back to the birth of the orignial Jonathan Joestar, mind blown

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Do we actually know what's the deal with the rock people yet? I'm assuming every antagonist aside from Jobin has been one so far including possibly Tooru?

Most of the antagonists have been rock humans with the exception of Ojiro and the guys on Shakedown Road

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

is there any actual source that lesbian annasui was supposed to be a thing and not just another thing araki changed his mind about

It's just a theory that it was SJ editors who made Araki change Anasui's gender, but the only reason I could really see where Araki would do it on his own would be that he thought it wouldn't get past editorial.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's a goofy theory considering Jolyne ignores Anasui anyway, and she still expresses her jealously of bisexual snail orgies.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Technowolf posted:

It's just a theory that it was SJ editors who made Araki change Anasui's gender, but the only reason I could really see where Araki would do it on his own would be that he thought it wouldn't get past editorial.

He explained it recently in an interview

https://twitter.com/jojo_wiki/status/1195888073273303041

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
drat did jobin just get killed???

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

NickRoweFillea posted:

drat did jobin just get killed???

Jobbin

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Akefu is this universe's Tonio

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I am so delighted how utterly incomprehensible this chapter looks out of context

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

I am so delighted how utterly incomprehensible this chapter looks out of context

i mean even within context its still fairly incomprehensible

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did you perhaps… Come here… Intending to 'Pursue' me? I see… So you are pursuing me… I understand. So then, the lid of this jar, have you tried opening it? What I’m saying is… Simply looking at that jar from the outside, you wouldn’t know for certain that what’s inside it is a 'Fruit', no…? Isn’t that right? Though it certainly seems to be fragments of 'Something'… But looking from the outside, those may be potato fragments… or perhaps onion fragments… it may not look like an onion… but that definitely looks like it could be a large mushroom! How can you be so definitive in saying that what’s inside that jar is a 'Fruit'? I’m explaining the fact that you 'Opened' the jar. Because after you received that package, you opened the lid with your hands, you 'Smelled' it. And it’s because it gave off the sweet and sour scent of a 'Fruit'… that you came into this room thinking it was a 'Fruit'. You got all excited thinking 'I’ve got an exclusive scoop here', didn’t you? And then… you perhaps got some fruit juice from the lid stuck to your finger. Just a little of it. Or perhaps you were careless and licked that finger. If fate were particularly unlucky, there’s a rather good chance that when you were putting the lid back on, some fruit juice seeped into a small cut on your skin or your fingernail.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I mean, let's be honest here, the translation is kinda poo poo too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Araki has been doing the characters talking in gratuitous 'emphasised concepts' since at least Stone Ocean to be fair.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I still can't take Valentine's emoji speech seriously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dragonwagon posted:

Valentine knows he has maybe a minute to play this rube or else he dies and he's overclocking his politician processors to try and make that happen.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pigbuster posted:

Did you perhaps… Come here… Intending to 'Pursue' me? I see… So you are pursuing me… I understand. So then, the lid of this jar, have you tried opening it? What I’m saying is… Simply looking at that jar from the outside, you wouldn’t know for certain that what’s inside it is a 'Fruit', no…? Isn’t that right? Though it certainly seems to be fragments of 'Something'… But looking from the outside, those may be potato fragments… or perhaps onion fragments… it may not look like an onion… but that definitely looks like it could be a large mushroom! How can you be so definitive in saying that what’s inside that jar is a 'Fruit'? I’m explaining the fact that you 'Opened' the jar. Because after you received that package, you opened the lid with your hands, you 'Smelled' it. And it’s because it gave off the sweet and sour scent of a 'Fruit'… that you came into this room thinking it was a 'Fruit'. You got all excited thinking 'I’ve got an exclusive scoop here', didn’t you? And then… you perhaps got some fruit juice from the lid stuck to your finger. Just a little of it. Or perhaps you were careless and licked that finger. If fate were particularly unlucky, there’s a rather good chance that when you were putting the lid back on, some fruit juice seeped into a small cut on your skin or your fingernail.

Yeah I can't lie this kinda thing was pretty hard to read through. I got used to it but it just constantly took me right out of whatever was happening at the time.

Looking forward to the anime adaptations in 6 and 7 in 20 years

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragonwagon posted:

I love it because it really shows just how hard Valentine is bullshitting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's definitely a way to write that whole bit from the doctor, emphasis and all, but jojolion's suffered before with the whole ou~~~~~~~~~~~~uuu poo poo and enough times it just turns something as simple as "here is a guy showing off his intelligence by doing some sherlock-style detective work" into that. I kinda wish I could think of how to make it sound better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anything in red is the truth

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pigbuster posted:

Big talking for an 89 year old man

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like to imagine Akefu is quietly mad that he never got the reporter to open the jar.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just finished Stone Ocean. RIP to life, the universe and everything.

How did Emporio survive the first go-round though?
Is it related to Burning Down the House?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What do you mean?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No, everyone that didn't die before or during the universe being reset were just transported to the new universe. Jolyne bought him just enough time to survive until then.

Unless you meant how did he survive after Pucci died in which case it was because Pucci's death collapsed the universe and created a new one where everyone that had previously died was recreated. Emporio got around that presumably by having survived the previous reset.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 22, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

RatHat posted:

What do you mean?

Part 6 spoilers I guess.

Emporio has precise knowledge that the universe has been reset, unlike the rest of the crew at the end of the arc, who all underwent name changes. How exactly did Emporio survive the universe reset? Is it because he didn’t explicitly die at the end or is it related to his stand ability?

Edit: I see. Emporio knows because he knew about Pucci’s plan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Killing the guy doing the resetting as a reset was happening probably helped.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Rai's whole "...seriously, 89 years old!?" thing was foreshadowing to Satoru and Tooru being the same person, what exactly was the thing he noticed? "No 89-year-old would move his rear end like that..."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my guess is that since they were eating calamities that whole time they were chasing the stand, which we've seen can move extremely fast when it doesn't just decide to be a reflection or something

i wouldn't be totally surprised if araki is now thinking about an eventual anime adaptation and wrote it knowing it would make more sense in the anime when we could physically see it move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it will only ever stand still but further away