Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Parts 4-7 are all top tier to me for different reasons. Part 4 is the first to start with a good formula that part 3 didn't really hit its stride with for a while, and has some of the most developed and interesting characters in the series. Part 5 has some of my favorite fights in the series, Beach Boys loving rules and White Album onward are all favorites. The final boss fight doesn't quite stick the landing for me, but I appreciate how big and dumb it is lol.

Part 6 also has incredible fights, is also impressively big and dumb, and like, I'm beyond gay for Jolyne hell yeah. I really appreciate how loving wild all the stands are, and Stone Free is easily my favorite stand design. After the big peak in stand power, part 7 feels like a good reset, and is just impeccable, with some of the best character stuff since part 4. Like, entirely off of that part 7 is probably my favorite if only by a hair over the other 3 lol

At this point I'm ready for part 8 to end, partially bc it isn't all landing with me, and partially because I feel like it will be a lot better to read without monthly breaks. Turns out mystery stuff that isn't really organized the best doesn't benefit from me forgetting the entire plot between every chapter :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

somepartsareme posted:

walk into the Louvre like you see i got a huge cock

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i'm still holding on to my idiotic "final boss is diavolo somehow" theory solely because king crimson has been suspiciously absent from this naming scheme

e: and yeah part 8 is a mystery story where halfway through it's revealed that there's actually no mystery at all oh well

araki doesn't really understand the whole mystery thing

It's upsetting how well this all tracks with Diavolos whole deal of being a mysterious figure without a great payoff. Araki does it again

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I'm enjoying being confused every week and it's a nice surprise when it comes out but I just don't have any coherent thoughts about it right now and am just kinda Not Thinking About It until it ends

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

The last thing that really does in Giorno's status in the narrative for me is Diavolo. Diavolo is just not a very well made antagonist for Giorno I feel, at least from the perspective of what the narrative had been building to. He spends half of the story on a computer monitor then when he is confronted it is by Bruno and his severe hate boner for Bruno's squad comes largely as a result of that entire altercation. The next time he interacts with anyone it's Bruno again through Doppio. The narrative and main antagonistic relationship being continuously fostered throughout is not Giorno and Diavolo, it is Bruno and Diavolo. This leads to the climax that is already bad for a number of reasons, but you can add on what feels like a really disconnected final battle Hero and Villain relationship to the mix and it ends with Giorno's place in the story feeling kind of flaccid and underdeveloped even though a decent amount of work was put in to make the alternative happen.

I hadn't really connected this together before but yeah, this is just another facet of Diavolo being largely disconnected to the narrative aside from being The Bad Guy and eventually Who Will Kill Trish being added onto that

I'm also realizing that almost every villain interaction Giorno has is basically "this must be that rookie" -> "drat this rookies good!!" which just speaks to this narrative distance between Giorno and like, every enemy including I think Diavolo?

This is still one of my favorite parts entirely off of how good a lot of the fights are, but it really just whiffs at building a good antagonist at all lol

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Giornio is a shallow enough character that I mostly just chalk it up to bad guy has skip to end and avoid consequences power and gets punished with dead but never gets to skip to the end and permanently deals with consequences

It's like, cosmic retribution for a bad dude and doesn't really feel like some deep peek into Giornos psyche tbh

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Paradoxically his stand is actually named 「 WHEN I'M 64 」

It's gonna transform into 25 To Life and everyone's gonna be like, yooo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

tiistai posted:

Binary systems have been used since hundreds of years before Jesus' time, and if you want 0s and 1s specifically, Leibniz wrote an article about that as early as the 1700s

Also, if you want modern binary logic, Boolean algebra was invented in 1854

"Now prepare to face the might of my stand, [Digital Love]!!"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Amazing: 4, 7
Great: 2, 3, 6
Good: 1, 5

This, with the addition that 5 has some of my favorite fights in the series and I would personally rank it higher, and that the first half of 3 belongs down in good with the second half up in amazing

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

tbp posted:

ye im a bit lukewarm on the end of part 5 as well for similar reasons, which is weird because parts 1-4 and 6-7 tend to be better toward the end, and almost universally the last fight is the most interesting in my opinion (or last set of fights). it didn't help that while i got my head around KC, GER is basically outrageous nonsense, and no matter what i read about it, it doesn't add up. the fandom seems in consensus that its ability is to "reset anything to 0" which makes quite literally no sense in my head

KC lets the user pick and choose which causes (and therefore effects) will affect them. Diavolo uses this in an attempt to control fate, to be unknowable, and avoid any consequences for any actions he's taken

GER is the opposite, forcing the recipient's hand on receiving causes, and therefore the consequences that come from them.. And also makes this a sort of purgatory? Diavolo' s entire goal was to live forever and be powerful, and he did some evil poo poo to achieve that, and GER punishes that by making him weak and forever dying

Admittedly it's p sloppy and I don't care for it, it's just another random power for Gold Experience to have, and the ironic comeuppance for a villain that isn't great functionally being "no, the opposite happens" isn't much of anything

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really random when the whole plot has been the road to obtaining a mcguffin that gives the main character the ability the metaphorical opposite of the villain's "unbeatable" power

I mean no, it makes sense in the way that it connects to the greater arc of part 5 and Diavolo specifically, it's just that I don't connect to that arc very much at all and I think Diavolo sucks poo poo and is easily the least interesting villain in the series

I like part 5 a lot, it's one of my favorite parts, largely off the strength of its fights and the arcs of the protagonists, but I just don't feel like anything with Diavolo ever lands even if I've grown to really appreciate the Silver Chariot Requiem encounter at this point

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

missed opportunity to make Guyrno Guyovanni

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Rahu posted:

Head doctor confirmed to not be 89.

i was fully loving :aaaaa: about this the entire chapter

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

every monthly chapter could easily be a weekly chapter because of how many panels there are of characters just staring at nothing with a vacant expression

these are literally the best part of part 8 though

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

What doesn't really make sense to me is Dio there just because.

for fun :)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I wonder how much of that is also down to the bands being ok with which characters are using their names? Foo Fighters and Weather Report are good guys, but maybe Queen wasn't down with being the namesake for a villainous character?

From looking around, Foo Fighters have been on Dave Grohl's label for years and years and idk about Weather Report but they just might not have the kind of name that would be judged to be important enough? And also the name has plausible deniability I guess lmao

But Queen is just insanely owned by people and still touring right? I have to imagine thats a harder get lol

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

I think this fight wouldn't be so bad if Tooru was actually a villain who had any build up at all. I've thought that maybe D4C was this grueling reading it as it came out, but Valentine was established near the very beginning and was a recurring threat that we actually had an emotional connection to. In this case, we're just told that Tooru was actually super important to Yasuho the whole time and is actually the ringleader behind the whole plot (to do...?) despite not being introduced or even hinted at before we fight him. I feel like that's just an objectively worse aspect of the writing than literally any other jojo part that can't be waved away by just saying it's because of the monthly pacing.

Also, there are well-paced monthly manga! Jojolion isn't one of them and that's worth criticizing!

i don't think its Bad bad but yeah i agree with this vibe. i can see the pieces of what i'm most likely to appreciate on a reread but i can't tell if i'm going to be able to like, suspend my want for a story behind this. the parts of it that i've enjoyed the most have been the weird asides from it and the art, while the actual meat of the fight is just some whatever that might play better in the anime in 2045 or w/e

the fact that people can't tell if this is the final boss or the intro to it is just easily the biggest weakness of the part. im not entirely sure why we're here or where we could decide to go after. a decade deep and i just can't imagine a satisfying ending at this point, not with the stuff in play, so it just feels like more needs to happen if it's going to more than a confusing narrative with some incredible Lore Drops and art lol. ive been enjoying it enough in the meantime but it just feels lost :shrug:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

lih posted:

jojolion is araki trying to give jojo more plot than usual but it's not really good at that part of it, otherwise it's pretty cool though

it kind of felt like maybe trying to make something like part 7 but with a bigger crew and then didn't seem completely sure at times what it wanted to do with who.

but also i'll say that a lot of chapters individually made me laugh or landed otherwise, and the art overall has been gorgeous. i do think it will stand up much better on a reread when it can just all be considered at its own pace, and even if the fighting was weak in the latest arc being able to breeze thru the worst of it will absolutely take the sting off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Martman posted:

Well anyway, I agree it's extremely unclear, so I would focus on the few things we are definitely given. Like, I don't think Irene is necessarily a completely different person from Jolyne. I think whatever has been changed in this universe has resulted in her not being named in a way that follows the JoJo rules, and that seems meaningful.

Her experience in part 6 is one where she is trapped in a story she did not choose, i.e. the conflict of her ancestors, and it has resulted in her entire life feeling like a prison. The end sees a version of her that seems to be more free to choose her own path. I found that very happy. I don't really see any evidence to conclude that people will or won't get their magic powers; lots of details could be changed about when and how Stands might arise, but it is a huge leap to say that the ending shows the powers and adventures being deleted.

this is basically exactly what i land on. the (not nearly fleshed out enough) implication in my head is that jolyne (and therefore all joestars?) got to travel and meet their friends. poo poo, almost the only things we're shown about the new universe are everyone meeting up together in almost exactly the same place in a "fate made this happen immediate" quick kind of way, jolyne no longer has to Be A Jojo in the manga protagonist way all of them had to be before, and that irene actually talks to her dad lmao.

we don't get any of that because it wouldn't and couldn't be a jojos bizarre adventure, but it just makes me imagine all the jojos having non-absentee/dead parents and poo poo. jotaro not basically working a second job for the speedwagon foundation and jolyne getting to meet uncle kakyoin and polnareff.

like yeah you have to put at least a little assembly and internal fanfic legwork in to get the best out of part 6 ending i feel, and yes i absolutely believe it could have benefitted from just a crumb more detail to really sell it while leaving things vague still, but even w that bare stuff that's in there it really does read to me as a happy ending for not just jolyne and them, but every protag we've seen suffer a grisly fate all the way back to jonathan. it rules a lot imo even if it took a bit of discussion and a reread for me to get there.