Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

Still one of the harder abilities to work with but this madman surfer is committed if nothing else.

I went back to re-read the chapters with it originally, did Araki change how it works? Unless Ojiro doesn't need to actually "mark" all four limbs in order to control someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Expect My Mom posted:

Surprisingly no, Araki is consistent. Fun Fun Fun gets control over any wounded limb the second the mark appears, it doesn't need all of them

Welp, guess I should have re-read more closely. I always thought it needed to mark all four limbs, then once it does he has complete control over you. I'll admit I more or less skimmed it as a refresher, and to see if his character design stayed the same (it was tweaked slightly, mostly in the hair)

Torquemadras posted:

In part, I love part 8 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because it reads like a mystery novel where the author constantly gets bored of where he's taking the plot, leading to absurd and wild poo poo that changes at the drop of a hat, and any constants that DO stay throughout the plot turn better and better, like granite cliffs worn down by a constant flood of bullshit until they become awe-inspiring monuments

I mean, we're honestly dealing with a wealthy fruit parlor owner's son making deals with the fruit mafia, while his crossdressing son, out of stress, causes people to lethally run into things on accident

Let the weak plot elements wither and die, I say, only the great ones will survive the great flood of bullshit

Yeah I dig this. It’s basically how Araki writes all his JoJo stories, just look at him dropping the Ripple, and Star Finger, and god knows how many other plot points throughout the series. Araki seems like he prefers to just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, then just keeps rolling with that.

Unfortunately Araki hasn’t really written a long-running mystery in JoJo before, and it seems his style of storytelling doesn’t work well with that. Part 4 was set up kind of like a mystery, but the reader knows that the killer is Kira the entire time. There’s the earlier mystery of “who is Red Hot Chili Pepper’s user?” but that’s not really set up in any way where a reader could figure it out, it’s just “let’s search until we find him!” All successful mysteries in JoJo are on a short-term scale. “How does this stand work?” and “How can we beat this stand?” are the types of mysteries JoJo (and Araki) is great at, since they get solved within a few chapters. There’s no time for Araki to realize a plot element doesn’t work and drop it, because the fight will be over and done with by then. Thus Araki’s storytelling culling never gets to weaken the mystery itself, like it has with Part 8. How did Karera get the photo of Kira and Josefumi? Where the gently caress did she go? What happened to Holy, why is she gone from the family photo? Who was the blonde dude Josuke had a vision of? The gently caress even are the wall eyes? etc. In any previous part, it wouldn’t be a big deal if Araki dropped these plot threads, but since Jojolion is explicitly set up as a mystery, it kinda suffers from it since we never know if a new plot element is ever going to go anywhere. Is a new plot element or character ACTUALLY a clue, or is it just something that we’ll all forget about when it inevitably never shows up again?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Did I miss something or was it never explained how the car got up in the tree.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

It’s just one of Mamezuku’s weird houses.

I assumed it was Jobin's lambo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jonathan sternly talks to the baby, maybe giving it a firm spanking.
Joseph tricks the baby into eating its own poo poo.
Jotaro hands the baby off to Kakyoin to take care of, or shakes it if Kakyoin wasn’t around
Josuke puts the baby in a situation where some over-bearing parent (Oldseph?) takes care of the baby, smothering it with love, its worst nightmare.
Giorno gashes open the baby’s neck, then agrees to repair it if the baby stops loving around with him. Giorno would repair the wound with flesh made from the baby’s own poop.
Jolyne punches the gently caress out of the baby until it stops being a little bitch.
Johnny shoots the baby.
Gappy tortures the baby somehow until it does what he wants.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vookatos posted:

Jesus, SBR sure does many things better than every previous part. From its antagonists' motives to tension and meaningful flashbacks.
God, the first chapter of Dirty Deeds was downright terrifying.

Lucy is a bit strange, though. People usually joke about animes having "1000 year old demons who look like 12 year old girls", yet Araki has the opposite issue. Lucy looks and acts like she's at least 20, so I don't really get why he made her 14 to begin with. I get that other parts had high schoolers because it's a shonen series, so we had characters like Jotaro and Giorno, whos age is just funny to think about, but that's not the reason here.
It's just all so loving weird, because it's not usual "anime creepy", but instead it's "creepy for the right reasons in context but maybe you could've made character older if she's half naked". I dunno if it's a big derail thing that happened in this thread a thousand times, so if it did, welp, sorry.

Love the transformation of Valentine into what he is now, though. No twists, just good old Josuke-style change of how he looks like.

God, how is there more than a third of this part left.

I've posted before about this same thing but yeah, Araki for some reason draws and writes characters as adults but then arbitrarily says "they're actually teens", presumably because Shonen Manga.

Also I once counted up page numbers for reference, and from the start of Who shot Johnny Joestar until the end of part 7, which is roughly from where the endgame really truly starts, is the same length as loving battle tendency

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They're called stands because motherfucking Mountain Tim says so, god dammit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

wocobob posted:

I still don’t totally understand what “things come crashing into you” is supposed to mean (maybe it’s just an iffy translation). Is it basically just extreme bad luck to the point that everything in the world is attacking you by accident?

Cool rear end chapter though.

I think it just literally means things will crash into you with enough force to cause serious injury. See: Gappy getting rained on until it almost killed him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xad posted:

Yeah I gotta wonder how Araki ended up on that name for the magic fruit

Honestly he probably just doesn't know what it means in Spanish. The pronunciation is likely supposed to be more even all throughout, each syllable getting roughly the same speaking time and emphasis. Lo-ca-ca-ca.

I also wonder if "rokakaka" and "locacaca" are supposed to be the same word all along.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They are the same word and sound the same.
HWMN's translator is a stickler for translating how things should be in strict Hepburn kinda poo poo.

It's why Jousuke is Jou when literally everything has the Josukes as Jo and why Jotaro is almost never Joutarou now.

A good scan group would adopt Arakis visual localisations when the make sense as a word in English.

Like we know Kaato is meant to start with C but nope

Oh yeah definitely, I just don't know if we've seen rokakaka localized by Araki until now, have we? I'm also curious what the original japanese text for some of this reads, the line "locacaca? Is that the rokakaka?" would be real weird otherwise. Anyone know where one can find raw japanese scans?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The best way to tell would honestly be to look at page counts.

Ignoring parts 1 & 2, since they're much shorter than the others:

Part 3: 3,045 pages
Part 4: 3,476
Part 5: 3,121
Part 6: 3,260
Part 7: 4,290
Part 8: 3,935 (as of the most recent chapter)

So Part 8 is probably in the climax, or at least nearing it. With an average of 42 pages per chapter, we have about 7-8 chapters until we get to Part 7 length. Of course, Jojolion could go on much longer than Part 7, but I'd expect it to end within about a year.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’ll say it: Jojolion is good.

:yeah:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can’t Yasuho just…recall her stand??

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xad posted:

why didn't kakyoin just recall hierophant green when jotaro was strangling it? it's never been that consistent I guess

You know, I never really thought about that, but good point. I think maybe it’s jarring here because it doesn’t feel like there’s anything physically “keeping” her stand where it is, like with Jotaro strangling Heirophant, but whatever.

Come to think of it, isn’t there some point in part 3 or 4 where a villain realizes they’re about to get hosed over and goes “STAND, RETURN TO ME” only to get oraoraora’d before they can do so?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Modus Pwnens posted:

It happens to Koichi against Heart Attack inside the shoe store, and Jotaro saves his butt

Ahh, that's it. I guess there is some limitations to recalling your stand, it's just never really directly come up often enough to get established rules for it.

And, of course, this is Araki we're talking about, so the rules can be bent to the point of breaking if it's better for the story.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The most stone cold closing of a toilet I've ever seen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love everything everyone has posted already, so I'll put my generally unpopular opinion: I love the second Darby fight. It's not as good as the first one, but I like that it's shown from the perspective of Darby trying to figure out how the hell Jotaro is beating his mind reading. And the final solution is super simple yet clever and surprising.

Bites the Dust has been mentioned but I love it because it's one of the few fights where a non-stand user is involved. I feel like this is an area that Araki could explore more - the way you beat most stands is by outsmarting the user and the stand's rules, and that's something anyone can do.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

While probably not "the best", or even my personal fave, I have a fondness for the Highway Star fight.

-"I REFUSE"
-Josuke having to race across the city while being pursued by a stand that can't really be seen or stopped for long, resulting in needing to do stuff like:
--disassembling and reassembling a motorcycle while on the move to avoid hitting a baby and its mother.
--trapping Highway Star inside a car while also siphoning gas from it for the motorcycle which was almost out of gas.
--Stealing multiple phones because the first one broke.

-"Okay master let's kill da ho. BIIIIIIIIITCH"
-Finally reaching the Stand User, and because Yuya is hospitalized Josuke courteously heals him before defenestrating him because it wouldn't be right otherwise.

Highway Star easily has the most creative uses of Josuke's power in all of part 4. I think it's probably like, THE fight to show people if you want to show them why JoJo is great - it takes a relatively simple power (healing things it breaks) and then pushes it to the logical extreme. It really shows off where JoJo shines as a series, which is taking a relatively mundane or simple-seeming power and doing crazy poo poo with it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jolyne is great and so is part 6, but if you're not into it then don't force yourself to read something you don't like.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Johnny literally shoots himself in the head

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Both very fair points

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

The goal is to protect himself so that he may fight the doctor, so defending himself against the bug's tongue depressor kinetic explosion is enough to count.

I read it as the doctor pointing out that attacking the bug was a "pursuit" of the bug. So if Josuke tries to attack the doctor, he'll be pursuing him, and that'll cause calamities.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Electric Phantasm posted:

Possibly

Or might be the effect of California King Bed or Paper Moon King.

This is really baffling to me. Araki had to have deliberately removed her here, it's obvious he used the original photo with some otherwise minor tweaks. If he didn't want to use her anymore, couldn't ha have just left her in and just not mention her? It feels weirder to me to remove her entirely.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Relin posted:

he forgot the rules of one stand mid arc. i think he's losing it. if he doesn't address some of the important mysteries in part 8 i'm gonna be pissed!

I frankly kind of hate the "araki forgot" meme. It really comes off as disrespectful go him, like he doesn't care about his work - which he obviously does. Yes he's gone on record saying he's forgotten stuff in the past, but I think that's fairly normal. He's also gone on record saying that he's fully willing to cut plot concepts that aren't working for the sake of making an entertaining story - that seems far more likely to be the case most of the time something changes.

I'm kind of suspecting we won't really find out what happened to Kyo, since we haven't really seen her do anything since her fight, but maybe that's just cus araki knew he couldn't work her or her stand into the story and so he just cut her out, possibly literally.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/RawazFHK/status/1275097041274843136?s=20

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

overmind2000 posted:

New chapter is up on MangaDex

I can't decide if this chapter was the result of Araki spinning his wheels for a month or if he genuinely thinks we need to spend half of a chapter learning deep rock human lore and his musings on biology. The first fourteen pages are completely skippable, what a loving disappointment

I enjoyed the backstory bits, it's classic Araki crazy. It also was cool to see how the stone people tie in to previous parts. I know for a long time people have been wondering how Part 8 is "caused" by DIO, since every other part is caused by him in some way. But now we've gotten confirmation of the opposite, really - Part 1 was "caused" by the rock humans in a way, and so is Part 8.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I was actually thinking of doing my own translation of the chapter for this thread but if someone else did it already then that’s probably overkill.
If you guys have any lines you’re curious about I can check my copy and clear it up!

EDIT: the dogpark translation reads a lot more naturally for the most part but it actually gets several lines completely wrong.

I would loving love to get decent translations. I don't know what it is about Jojo that attracts such lovely ones.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

How many years has it been since Johnny's death?

Certainly a bit longer than 89

Don't Rock humans have super long lifespans, or did my brain just invent that?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

whitesnake's only ability was being able to shoot a gun, but only at pigeons.

pucci was just able to do the weird disc thing normally

Don't forget about the weird wall melting hallucination thing he does once

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I want Araki and Kojima to write a story together, filled with nothing but the vague ideas they got after reading a paragraph of text on various wiki pages

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crusader posted:

every time i think i've run out of weird poo poo in jojo, something else comes along

edit: goddamn lol

It makes me irrationally angry that they call it "Alien Ball" in this translation - just call it Paul! That's the name everyone will recognize!

fe: Pauul

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

So if they beat Wonder of U with Spin bullshit does that mean Wonder of U is basically just invincible otherwise? From how it's explained it sounds like even Dio with time stopped would get wrecked by a calamity if he tried to attack it. I was really hoping they'd find some loophole in its power but doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.

In theory, you beat Wonder of U by leading him into a trap. Gappy successfully baited him to come to the fruit room, after all, so we know THAT is safe. DIO couldn't directly attack him, but Kira could probably get him by planting a secret bomb, like with Fatty. Considering Gappy is half Kira, I'm guessing that's how he'll be taken down.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

I have genuine difficulty following what Dadada was doing throughout this chapter

This was actually the first chapter I could SORT OF follow along with it. It appeared under the desk, then flung its "stinger" up to hit Gappy from behind, who was on top. When Gappy would turn to face where the stinger came from, Dadada would attack from a different angle.

Gappy attack down through the desk, using the bubbles to uhh....transfer the damage through to the bottom, I think? Or he used the bubbles to dig through the desk, which I guess they can do now?

Then Dadada appeared above Gappy, traveling along the walls I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pootybutt posted:

"Umm..." perfectly encapsulates my feelings on this chapter. So, like, were the bubbles coming out of Rai or colliding w him? Wondering if the Spin is how they can "steal" concepts or if it's something new?

Not sure on the spin stuff, but I think Josuke had put bubbles in the wall while fighting Dadada, so when Rai missed his attack it knocked the bubbles out and caused them to hit him

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crusader posted:

dogpark explains their translation process in this thread:

https://twitter.com/dogparkdesu/status/1296189650885734400?s=21

This makes me really appreciate Dogpark's translation. I remember local translator Daxing Dan had been critical of a previous chapter done by Dogpark, so hopefully that was just a fluke.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Oh, well if they say so then it must be true

I have a somewhat passing understanding of Japanese, admittedly not enough to catch many subtleties but enough to be able to understand most of the words + grammar from the source, and dogpark's translation of the words in the twitter thread was accurate as far as I could tell. One or two I read slightly differently but not significantly so and was likely me making a mistake.

If you don't believe them you could always try going to a japanese dictionary site like jisho.org and pasting the jp text to see for yourself I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

Hmmmm. King Crimson is an absolute defense, working via precognition. Once something is seen by Epitaph, King Crimson can 100% avoid it. Wonder of U is ALSO an absolute defense, working via fate itself intervening.

Wonder of U is definitely a stronger defense, because it works without the user's action - it works halfway across the city without the user realizing someone's pursuing him. We do not know any limit of Wonder of U, either; perhaps it really is possible to create a situation where fate cannot stop someone from reaching him. (Poor Mamezuku certainly didn't manage that.)

So, in a theoretical fight of King Crimson vs. Wonder of U, King Crimson would probably skip like a madman to avoid everything Wonder of U comes up with in the last second. Either King Crimson has some sort of cooldown, or the user does not dodge the counter because they misunderstand it / there's multiple ones / etc., then they die. Or Wonder of U cannot counter when King Crimson appears literally millimeters away from them after a skip, because they can "insert" themselves anywhere they want after the erased time period - then Wonder of U dies.

Wow this is dumb

I think it all comes down to whether or not the calamities account for KC's time skips. If they don't, then yeah he can just avoid them all. But if they DO, which seems like it might be the case based on Rai getting owned last chapter, then WoU could set up a calamity that foreseeing and skipping can't avoid. An easy example is a gas explosion - if Diavolo had been in the area long enough, he would be too close to avoid it as soon as he foresaw it, even with his skipping power. The piercing rain we saw earlier would work well too - KC can only skip for so long, after all.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol get hosed Joshuu

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Johnny more or less gets a redemption arc. His arc isn't entirely about learning not to be a spoiled brat, but it's partially there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So why is it saved as Kei in Joshu's phone?

Joshuu never bothered to learn her "Kyo" name, and entered the wrong name into his phone. By coincidence, it's the same as her real name.