Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ariong posted:

The Sahara is one of the most inhospitable places on Earth. During the hottest months of the year, the average high temperature is 39 °C (102 °F). At these times, when the screaming hot Saharan sun climbs to its peak in the sky and the heat reaches its apex, even the animals that live here, the ones which have adapted to maximize their ability to endure the heat, retreat to their burrows and hideaways to wait for the sun to begin its descent.

All, that is, except for one species.

Source

This glorious piece of work right here is the Saharan Silver Ant. Their shining steely surfaces reflect the sun's brutal rays. Their long, stilt-like legs maximize the distance between their bodies and the scalding desert sands. However, even with these incredible adaptations, the ants can only avoid being cooked by the afternoon sun for ten minutes, so they must act fast.

When the sun is at its peak and every other creature has fled, the ants pour forth from their burrow in all directions. With madcap speed they scramble across the rippling dunes in search of food left behind by something larger. When one finds something, it's a race against time to get the word out, gather the workers, and drag the food back to the burrow before the scouts are literally cooked in their own carapaces.

The Sahara is home to a great variety of creatures. Big cats, venomous vipers, beautiful birds, and many other amazing animals. However, for about ten minutes every day, these beautiful little gems are the queens of the desert.

A salute to the steadfast sisters of the Sahara and their splendid silver shells!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Ariong posted:

The Sahara is one of the most inhospitable places on Earth. During the hottest months of the year, the average high temperature is 39 °C (102 °F). At these times, when the screaming hot Saharan sun climbs to its peak in the sky and the heat reaches its apex, even the animals that live here, the ones which have adapted to maximize their ability to endure the heat, retreat to their burrows and hideaways to wait for the sun to begin its descent.

All, that is, except for one species.

Source

This glorious piece of work right here is the Saharan Silver Ant. Their shining steely surfaces reflect the sun's brutal rays. Their long, stilt-like legs maximize the distance between their bodies and the scalding desert sands. However, even with these incredible adaptations, the ants can only avoid being cooked by the afternoon sun for ten minutes, so they must act fast.

When the sun is at its peak and every other creature has fled, the ants pour forth from their burrow in all directions. With madcap speed they scramble across the rippling dunes in search of food left behind by something larger. When one finds something, it's a race against time to get the word out, gather the workers, and drag the food back to the burrow before the scouts are literally cooked in their own carapaces.

The Sahara is home to a great variety of creatures. Big cats, venomous vipers, beautiful birds, and many other amazing animals. However, for about ten minutes every day, these beautiful little gems are the queens of the desert.

here they are in action

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

stan

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The ants have receded from my bathroom, at least for the time being. This has been your ant update.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My laboratory has a mild ant infestation but I always wanna cheer for them when they team up to haul off a dead fruit fly

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I stan ants.

I stants.

I think I saw the behind the scenes video for this once. First of all, they had to find the entrance to an ant burrow in the middle of the desert, which obviously the ants try to make as invisible as possible. With other species of ants you could just find some and follow them back to the burrow, but since these things are only out for about 10 minutes a day, that’s a tall order.

Then came the actual filming, which, well. There’s a reason these ants are the only things around during the part of the day when they are around. They needed specialized filming equipment, because normal cameras simply would not function at the temperatures they were were working in. The humans weren’t much better. It’s not like they had air conditioning out there. They were pouring sweat, drained of energy by the oppressive heat, only able to survive due to the protection of a shaded awning. Yet the ants shrugged it all off.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Jul 25, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ooh, shiny ants!

Shants

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

no serious ants

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I had to kill like 50 mid-copulating flying ants with a towel, and I felt really bad about it
like i had to keep going back and smush them over and over, and they were all just wriggling and dying it really sucked and i was aplogising the whole time but they couldnt possibly have understood why , and the experience made me feel bad about not being vegan

gently caress flying ants though, pieces of poo poo

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Flying ants :gonk:

Flants

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I had to kill like 50 mid-copulating flying ants with a towel,

You really didn't

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Anyone else watch AntsCanada? I like his videos a lot, he's infectious and he clearly loves the hobby but he's hosed up a whole lot lately and it's turned me off. Not really to do with his ants tbf. Bought an axolotl to live alongside a colony when it was completely the wrong environment for it. Hatched rhino beetles, played weird games with them and then left it so long that they started to die of old age. Let his termites get eaten by invading pharaoh ants without even noticing.

I like his new weaver ant colony.

I hope he owns the place he lives in because it looks like it’s infested with ants.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

All the posts about the silver ants have made my night. So cool.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ants.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Ants?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mob ants :getin:

Mants

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More like Mant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEjdGQSzc8

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is loving amazing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kanine posted:

this is loving amazing

Watch Matinee!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

....Ants!

feedmyleg posted:

Watch Matinee!

They should re-release that in theaters that offer 4DX.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Watch Mantinee!

FTFY

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ants

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

ANTS ZWO DREI VIER

https://youtu.be/Ph-CA_tu5KA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aunts?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, ants can become rafts to float across your bitchass moats and gently caress your poo poo up

try poking them see what happens

NOTHING they are unstoppable

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BEES?!?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

..yes? :ohdear:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ants aren't Bees, Bees and Ants are Wasps.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I present a man who is bad at pointing at ants.

A shameful performance.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anss

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJBIx-hK8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

AH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph-CA_tu5KA

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcf89x12fdU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You fool. You moron.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Ants aren't Bees, Bees and Ants are Wasps.

Bee ants?! :stonk:

Bants

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A
N
T
S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimchi Surplus