Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
no but they do show jinx's huge pendulous breasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Edgar posted:

sad they didn't leave room for a sequel

I mean, they didn't leave room for a sequel because they adapted the story from a one-off game, but they did enough world building that they can do another movie in the world they built so I fail to see a problem

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I took my 7 year old son who's gone through his pokemon phase and he was all like"I didn't laugh, I didn't cry, I watched the movie like this :geno:", I think I enjoyed it more than he did, but then he's Aspie/ADHD.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Edgar posted:

I really want to know why the main character didn't want to have a pokemon. He is treated like poo poo by other characters because he doesn't have one.

They had a whole flashback of it being his very special most important Pokémon picking day and his mom died instead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

I was at Costco today and this lady kept looking at me funny; we were in the produce area and it's cramped so I thought maybe I hit her with my cart? Either way I left and she followed me, then finally asked if she could ask me a question. "Okay?" She had noticed my Magikarp earrings and wanted to know if I'd seen the movie and if her 10 year old daughter, a diehard Pokemon fan, would like it.

I explained the movie wasn't about any of the main characters from the show BUT it did take place 20 years after Mewtwo escaped, and it was the same Mewtwo, but the city and region is different, so it depends on how diehard she was. I mean, I loved it, but I also stopped watching the shows like 20 years ago so I have no idea what the kids have nowadays, if it always starts with Ash getting Pikachu or what.

Let's be honest, after the pokemon battle, seeing Charizard act like a dog who peed on the rug was hilarious.

The series is the same Ash who like a Simpson never ages and goes through every region putting a new team together and going through something like each game's plot. So her daughter would probably be familiar with Ash's adventures in Kalos and Alola

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hustlin Floh posted:

Anyways how did the Ditto know how to text

Bill Nighy is 100% loving that Ditto

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Harry a bit of a scumbag? He's supposed to be an awesome cop but then it turns out he's the one who captured Mewtwo for the evil scientists. So what, he moonlights as a poke-bountyhunter?

Also, of all the things they didn't include in the movie is the fact that Detective Pikachu constantly turns into an utter horndog any time a pretty lady turns up. It's a running joke that he flirts with them and all they hears is deep sexy pika pii's. Considering it's pretty dark and "mature" it was a strange decision.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lodin posted:

Isn't Harry a bit of a scumbag? He's supposed to be an awesome cop but then it turns out he's the one who captured Mewtwo for the evil scientists. So what, he moonlights as a poke-bountyhunter?

Capturing a pokemon in pokemon world isn't a bad act, it's like the main thing people do. When it turned out they were sucking out mewtwo's blood and being cruel to him he had pikachu zap some little low to the ground fuse thing with his tail then he drove away real fast in his car, killing dozens.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hustlin Floh posted:

Anyways how did the Ditto know how to text

It was genetically experimented on to be more intelligent.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Lodin posted:

Also, of all the things they didn't include in the movie is the fact that Detective Pikachu constantly turns into an utter horndog any time a pretty lady turns up. It's a running joke that he flirts with them and all they hears is deep sexy pika pii's. Considering it's pretty dark and "mature" it was a strange decision.

Im glad they cut this out, that is like the most overplayed and eyerolling stereotype in anime which is saying something.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Labes for days posted:

Im glad they cut this out, that is like the most overplayed and eyerolling stereotype in anime which is saying something.

And here I thought the most overplayed stereotype was the male protagonist's stoicism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lodin posted:

Isn't Harry a bit of a scumbag? He's supposed to be an awesome cop but then it turns out he's the one who [spoiler]captured Mewtwo for the evil scientists. So what, he moonlights as a poke-bountyhunter?

I think that was a lie. That's the story Nighy told him and what it looked like when memory was only partially restored with gaps.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

runupon cracker posted:

And here I thought the most overplayed stereotype was the male protagonist's stoicism.

Nope, can think of like a dozen male protagonists who are decidedly non-stoic while I can think of zero animes that don’t include a male character who is constantly creeping on women.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

no but they do show jinx's huge pendulous breasts

I'm sold

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
If I went in with my original idea of it being a kids' movie, it would have just been fun. Of course the internet kept telling that it was actually really mature, too dark for kids, and had a really adult plot. I left disappointed.

My theater had at least two balding guys that smelled like piss and one very autistic guy who kept saying the names of Pokémon as they appeared on screen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Richard M Nixon posted:

one very autistic guy who kept saying the names of Pokémon as they appeared on screen.
This is honestly adorable. I bet that guy was having a great time.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think that was a lie. That's the story Nighy told him and what it looked like when memory was only partially restored with gaps.

That makes sense considering the AR reconstruction of the car crash was also tampered with.

Anyway, something I find odd is how few people played the 3DS game or even know about it. I picked it up during a sale last summer and had a ton of fun with it. Sure it's a kids game and easy as piss, but it's fairly well written and some of the cases have pretty clever plot twists. Also helps that it has a great sense of humor.
I did appreciate that the movie had a bunch of references to the game. The Hi-Hat Cafe is taken straight from the game down to it being run by a Latino dude and his weird duck with a sombrero.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

one very autistic guy who kept saying the names of Pokémon as they appeared on screen.

This was my Rogue One experience when the third act happened only the guy was jumping in his seat and soft clapping his hands together whenever a Familiar Star Wars Vehicle appeared and I kept waffling between "ok guy" and remembering how I'd watch the death star trench run over and over and over as a kid.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorta worse since I'm a pretty normal guy but will be swearing under my breath because an X-Wing no matter how kitted out couldn't do u-turn like that and Star Destroyers would never be crashing into each other.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My theater was full of fellow normies who cooed at the cute pokemon and laughed at the funny pokemon but nothing too strange. It was a fine, swell time.

There was one bitch who futzed around on her phone for too long and lit up the place a few aisles below, and I was just going to be the angry American and tell her to knock that poo poo off, but then she turned it off and all was chill once more.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Audino showed up twice.

Audino is my favorite.

A goon that worked on the movie said that Audino is the pokemon partner of the professional reporter lady. So Audino shows up whenever actual not-CNN employees appear in the film. Unlike unpaid intern Lucy and her psyduck.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Luxrage posted:

I really like that part because I had kind of guessed most of the other twists the movie had coming but I did not see that one coming at all.
they showed that same ditto transforming into a helper to push the old guy's wheelchair earlier in the movie too and it never dawned on me that it would be helping in the villain stuff.

I busted out laughing at the reveal because it's such a great thing to remember from the show and "lore" or whatever. It also looked so purposefully goofy that it was marvelous. They really did well with this movie and while it was loaded with references and pokemon it didn't really feel forced for the most part. I also really appreciated the sleeping snorlax blocking traffic and the machamp directing traffic around it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought the ditto in Lady form was going to end up being Jessie, with her pink hair. I was looking forward to seeing James too. But the ditto reveal was cooler anyway.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Watched it with the family and was surprised at how much adult humour was in it. Mewtwo was terrifying and I was legit excited at some of the action scenes.

Probably a good movie to watch high.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

golden bubble posted:

A goon that worked on the movie said that Audino is the pokemon partner of the professional reporter lady. So Audino shows up whenever actual not-CNN employees appear in the film. Unlike unpaid intern Lucy and her psyduck.
This is neat trivia

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

just got home from seeing it, thought it was weird that everyone was dating their pokeman

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just bought an online ticket to go see this IN 3D. So I'll be an adult man in his 30s watching a kids movie in 3D. I've also got the best seat in the house. Will post trip report.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Did anyone else notice that all the pokemon were in their initial stages or their final evolutions? There were no first stage evolutions, no Charmeleons, or Haunters, or Machokes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On second thought I think there was a singular Graveler. Still weird that he was literally the only one, tho.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

By the way, this movie was where I learned :psyduck: is not a forums original design

That duck was one of my favorite parts of the movie

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
is farfetch’d in it

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Back. Movie had a weird plot. Acting was really bad. Lead actress was very hot. If you've seen the previews you've seen every bit of noteworthy Ryan Reynolds dialogue.

Bulbasaur was best pokemon, but never said the word "bulbasaur".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how the coolest action scene in the movie has catastrophic events, but it is simply never spoken of or mentioned again after it occurs.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They had a whole flashback of it being his very special most important Pokémon picking day and his mom died instead

Aw ok, they just showed a trophy like thing on the dresser and I didn't connect the dots.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope Nintendo finds a winning formula with genre mash-up movies like this. They should do "Doctor Mario" next. Or, like, Metroid but it's a western.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Haven't seen it yet, but I saw a tweet about how this movie is SO lovely AND IRRESPONSIBLE towards children dealing with grief. Is that gonna be the narrative around this movie's critique?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ryan reynolds is canadian :smug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

UltraRed posted:

Acting was really bad.

same, i thought the acting was weirdly lovely. but the director's credits are all for garbo flicks so i think that's on him fumbling his responsibilities. maybe he's all they could fit in the budget idk.

i liked the pokemon a lot, think they should've put in way more character development scenes though. the pace was absolutely breakneck for a movie about finding clues and solving a mystery

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 14, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The acting was the same as like every kids movie/show around. Its basically the same style of acting that you see on nickolodeon/disney channel. Unless you're talking about watanabe. Then you can go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
watanabe and ossan pikachu carried the rest of the cast on their mighty shoulders