Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

quote:

This is what we know:

First, the strange beast slaughtered ten thousand innocent citizens in its rampage across the capitol.

Second, the air force’s weapons at the time were too weak to pierce its feathery, slimy hide.

Third, when it achieved escape velocity it cast off a swarm of vicious parasites at ground zero that are still being hunted to this day.

This is what we thought was true. This is what we’ve been told for a generation.

What we are about to show you will demonstrate, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is all horribly wrong, and that the truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Roll the footage, please.

This is After Kaiju (B), a playtest of a game in development, for the following people:
  1. UnCO3
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. sheep-dodger
  4. Tyrannosaurus
This is our turn order. Our setup thread is here.

Thread Rules
  1. Try to post within 24 hours when your turn comes up, or let us know that you’ll be late when you can’t.
  2. Keep an eye out for times when you need to post in response to someone else (e.g. answering their question, completing their narration, building on their response).
Here’s our base map:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Footage 1: The camera pans across a fence around some kind of industrial site, over numerous official-looking, but not quite specific signs warning away intruders. Cut to a ravaged landscape behind the fence, with something blurry towering in the background, out of focus. Then it comes into focus: a corporate space shuttle, gleaming in the evening sun.

Key: corporate space shuttle (Young)

What historic achievement coincided with the start of the attack?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Answer(Young):
A teenager is being interviewed by the camera team, she's wearing a black trenchcoat, which has been adorned by small feathers. The rest of her outfit is also black, same as her makeup and hair.
"What historical achievement? Everyone knows that, it was the day that telescopes, I think in Peru or somewhere around there, first picked up confirmation of Planet Nine and that it's on an orbit approaching us. I think they're starting to call it Apollo now."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Answer(Old):
A blue-haired woman in her early to mid-sixties smiles weakly at the camera.

"You want to know about the International Energy Initiative, do you?" she clucked her tongue. "Men messing with forces beyond their comprehension, now and then... Although, I suppose no one could have expected that abundant source of geothermal energy to be what it was... Well, at least that's what they said, but I think they did know... knew that something was down there and were digging just to find out what."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Answer(Adult):
The camera gazes on the back of a worker, overlooking a construction site. The sun is setting off in the distance. Slow pan with a voiceover:

"I remember my father watching the news, his hat clutched in his hands. He was squeezing that hat so tight his knuckles were white. He kept muttering, 'We can't do anything right. Humanity is cursed.' Over and over again.

He meant the carbon emissions, of course. We'd finally, as a planet, made a tangible, scientifically observable difference and... well, look at what it woke up."

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Footage 1 is complete.

New Kaiju feature: claws of jade

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Footage 2: A silent aerial shot pans over the derelict ruins of an abandoned city ending in a panoramic overview. The camera cuts to an interior sweep of the city. Side mounted cameras show sandblasted skeletal remains of high-rise offices and homes collapsed against one another, or buried in dunes that are encroached upon by a sinkhole that has only grown over time. Beyond the city, stretching out to the ocean, the land is noticeably arid. Barren in most of the surrounding area.

Key: Sinkhole (Adult)

What were the first predictions or early warnings of the attack, and how did people react?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Answer(Adult):
A man in a hard hat, supervising a routine survey of the ruins. A woman in overalls, setting up a tripod for some kind of scanning equipment.

"I remember the birds disappeared, all of them, and some expert came on TV to talk about how something was wrong with the earth's magnetic field that we couldn't feel."
"Yeah, I remember that - first time I felt like something was wrong, but nobody seemed to care too much. Just some labcoats."
"I know, it was just, add it to the list of gently caress-ups, right? I mean, they came back later."

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 17, 2019

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Answer(Old):
An gray-haired couple sit together on a living room couch. Behind them, framed photos of the attack. They hold up vintage cell phones.

"We were on our first date. We were having dinner and-"
"Cell service went out."
"Yes. Everywhere. For everyone. All at once. No calls. No texts. No service."
"So, of course, we knew something was wrong. But we couldn't get anything exact until someone at the restaurant decided to turn on the TV."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Answer: Old
A pensioner is chopping wood outside her cottage, at the edge of a forest. While she's in her early seventies she's still sprightly, wearing a red lumberjack shirt and sweating lightly from the exercise.
"Oh, you want to hear about the meteor showers? Yeah, it was a weird time, for three weeks every night there would be hundreds of small meteors entering the atmosphere and burning up. It was a grand spectacle alright and the eggheads couldn't make heads or tails of it, they hadn't expected the next meteor to swing by for months, much less this many. I remember there was quite a bit of panic, with people fearing that the meteors might hit something, but as I recall there were never any fatalities.
I for one took it as a good omen, and in the night when they were the most intense I took my partner on a ride to a local vista, where to the backdrop of a dozen meteors burning up I asked her to marry me." She chuckles a bit darkly. "At the time I didn't know of course that the day after the beast would emerge, but luckily we were just out of the way enough to avoid the worst of its rampage."
The cabin's door opens and another woman wearing an apron steps out to issue a call for lunch. The interviewee wipes the sweat from her brow and grabs a bundle of logs.
"Ah, seems like it's lunchtime, why don't you come in and stay for a while longer, I'm sure Sabine would love to tell you the story of our engagement in a lot more detail and she makes a mean bean casserole."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Footage 2 is complete.

New Kaiju feature: Able to emit concentrated bursts of high temperature plasma

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Footage 3: The camera is visibly being carried by a person running in a low crouch, following a second person wearing military camouflage gear. The two duck into a bush from where they have a view on a small military patrol circling the inner perimeter of the exclusion zone. The camera zooms in on the entrance to what used to be a uranium mine before the attack, but has now been converted into a military installation. The camera catches small groups of soldiers and scientists milling around outside of it, standing guard, taking a smoke break and talking to each other.

Key: Uranium mine (Old)

Question: What technology did the government develop to defend against future attacks?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Answer (Adult):
Voiceover, cutting between footage of the interviewee - an academic in an independent aeronautics laboratory - and the footage of the military installation: "Of course, much of the government's work on anti-kaiju technology is strictly classified, but we do have it on record that one proposed project involved long-term nuclear-powered climate seeding UAVs. You may be familiar with Project Pluto? Imagine that, but rather than the original... abysmal intent, a more peaceful purpose - blanketing the earth in some way to prevent any further kaiju emergence. Whether that project bore fruit, I'm afraid I don't know, and likely couldn't say even if I did."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Answer(Young):
A youth runs into view with a faded action figure before flying out of sight. A slightly older kid, maybe 13 answers you.

"Have you seen it? I've seen it... the titan." He says with marked enthusiasm. Titan said with a degree of hopeful awe.

"I think it only worked once during the big fight, but the police use the same tech on a smaller scale today. I've got a homemade model of the titan back home, it even has a working nuclear reactor! Well... ok, not a real reactor but it lights up. Come check it out."

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 20, 2019

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Answer(Young):
A kid gets off a school bus with an instrument over his shoulder. Cut to him sitting in his bedroom, his instrument on his lap.

"We can't kill it. It's impossible. But we can make a lot of noise. A lot a lot of noise. That's I'm learning to play this thing. I'm going to help if it ever comes back."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Footage 3 is complete

New Feature: leathery bat-like wings

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Footage Four:
Aerial (drone) footage of a wide open expanse of land. A black line, like a scar, slowly comes to center. Cut to ground level where the crew is filming in front of the the commercial airplane's crash site.

Key: Crash Site (adult)

Question: What was the government's top priority during the attack?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Answer (Young):
An acne-studded mid-teenager in a black hoodie strolls - and occasionally stumbles - around the edge of the crash site. "They kept it from messing up cell towers and satellites, stopped it bringing down the network, I think. My parents said they couldn't get a signal anyway, which is just bullsh-- uh, BS, right? What'd the army or whatever need every bit of signal for?

Dunno if they ever gave all of it back."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Answer: (adult)
A black man in his mid 40s is talking to the camera crew in a downtown shopping street as the normal foot traffic flows around them.
"The government? They didn't do a god drat thing for us. Sure, the army and the police were here, but somehow the police wound up evacuating the McMansions in the suburbs first while the army knocked down our homes to have firing lines for their tanks. A whole lot of good that did them too, their shells didn't even scratch that monster and in return they turned our parts of the town into big fat targets for the thing's plasma breath.
My entire loving block was wiped out by one such hit. And since we didn't own our homes we didn't even get any of the reconstruction funds. I grew up over in Bushel Hills, but as soon as the smoke cleared the developers turned that entire area into Yuppie Central, while me and my neighbors were carted off to the "displaced person camps" out in the old industrial district.
So yeah, the government didn't do jack poo poo for us."
He spits in annoyance and walks away.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Answer (Old):

An older man in military fatigues sits center shot. Behind him a wall containing military regalia from a decorated career, and information about the kaiju. Details about the attack, the creature, its origins, the conspiracies. A deep web of information.

"Governments worldwide have catastrophe protocols. These are publicly disclosed, broadcast, air-dropped and cloud-streamed. 'WE WANT TO KEEP YOU SAFE'."

The man laughs.

"I was part of a private security detail for a senator during the incident. They had these secure bunkers underneath the ground where they ferried the elite to. I asked how this helped anyone, and was delivered some holier than thou, 'we must uphold the integrity of our nation, the infrastructure of our government is in our people'. Standard bullshit that you'd tell someone whose life meant less than yours."

"So yeah, that was their priority... themselves."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Footage 4 is complete.

New Kaiju feature: EMP vents

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Footage 5:

Kaiju feature: supernumerary joints

What problem plagues the survivors of the attack?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Answer (Old):

An elderly woman with dyed red hair leans back in a recliner. She ashes out a cigarette in a glass jar.

"I used to have dreams, you know? We all did. And I don't mean hopes and. I go to sleep now? Nothing. Just black. All night. Nothing. Ever. Maybe it's for the best. I don't know."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Answer: (Young)
A low-resolution video of a baby playing in its crib is being shown, both the quality and the format of the video mark it as being recorded by an early handheld smartphone camera. As the baby keeps playing with its toys, some of them begin to levitate and dance around the child, who is laughing mirthfully at the display. The narrator explains: "One of the strangest phenomena of the aftermath of the attack has been the seemingly psychic powers that the children of parents who were pregnant with them at the time of the attack have been exhibiting. There have been no confirmed cases of any child conceived after the event having similar powers, but as these children enter their teenage years it remains to be seen if they can be passed on. The potential ramifications for humanity if these abilities are inheritable are staggering and a matter of intense discussion around the globe."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Answer (Adult):

A camera is stationary inside a tent-based surgery room. An armed guard in a hazmat suit stands positioned in the corner of the room. A man and woman in black suits stand near the operating table. Four doctors take their time removing heaps of pulsating flesh from a body that can hardly be considered living.

The lead doctor comes into view with a grim expression and sits in front of the camera.

'It stands to reason that those who came into contact with the creature during the incident may been exposed to parasitic bacteria native to its body or wherever it truly came from. Entire swaths of the population could be infected. Any significant source of radiation causes the parasite to grow and spread and in ways that defy current medical explanation.'

'At this time, there is no cure. Death is... guaranteed. The number of incidents worldwide is beginning to climb.'

The camera cuts to the armed guard who wheels the body out of the theater. Two other individuals in hazmat suits load the body onto a pile that can be seen from behind the semi-translucent curtains of the operating theater. A third comes into view, a flamethrower strapped to their back, and blasts the corpse pile with flames.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 29, 2019

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Footage 6:

Key Element: A High Tech Military installation (Adult)

Background: A crater filled with strange, ancient or alien flora/fauna. This was one point that the kaiju stopped at mysteriously on its destruction path.

Kaiju Feature: Riddled with strange parasites

How did scientists try to communicate with the kaiju and how did it respond?

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 31, 2019

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Footage 5: A still shot from a shallow hill over an old redbrick hospital, with a suburb visible behind. People walk in and out through the main entrance, along a path that leads to a winding gravel road. The place looks like an old countryside estate converted to public use.

Amidst the ruddy bricks and tiles are carbuncles of grey-white sheet metal – modern extrusions of the hospital, for modern problems. None of them have windows. Some of the people wandering the grounds have guns.

Key: semi-converted hospital site (Young)

Footage 5 complete.

-

Answer: (Old)
Shot of an old, sallow, and broken man in a thick armchair and attended to by a nurse, half-lit by sunlight streaming in through a broad window. The other side of his face is in shadow.

"They didn't. They should have, but they didn't. And if they did, obviously it didn't work. And either way, we paid for it."

He turns to face the window. His face-- it would be more accurate to say that he doesn't have the other half of his face.

"On the other hand... maybe they did try talking to it. I used to work with wild animals. One thing they always understood was force, power, control. Who's in charge. Who's at the top of the totem pole. Who obeys and who's obeyed. Yes, I suppose they did. And it talked back."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Answer (Young)
A child stares into the camera, their fingers pressed against their temples.

"Mind powers.! The army had this really big helmet and it let them shoot their thoughts directly into the monster's brain! But then there was a lightning strike and the person wearing the helmet went crazy!"

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Answer: (Adult)

The cameraman is sitting in a booth at a diner, while the interviewer is talking to the waitress. she's in her late twenties, and has a big afro: "Communicate with the Kaiju? Ah, you must be talking about Weird Minji. I know, a lot of people believe that it's just a folk story, or an urban legend, but I was there that day and I saw it happen, so I swear it's true."
"Could you tell us what you saw that day?"
She puts down the coffee pot and grabs an extra chair. "Well, it's a slow day today, so you're in luck. So I think I gotta start by telling you who Minji was. I was a kid when the attack happened, so I don't know all the details about her, but everyone around here knew her. She was homeless, and most people suspected she also had some mental health issues, but overall she was nice enough. She'd stop by my parents' bodega from time to time, collecting the deposit on the bottles she collected for a living, and they'd always give her some food to eat that they'd otherwise have thrown out at the end of the day.
So come the day of the attack she suddenly completely changed demeanour. I saw her on the morning, and it was like she was a completely different person, like she had left whatever baggage was weighing her down behind. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but I saw her again later that day. When the monster approached us and everyone was running for safety, she just stood there and waited for it. I was taking shelter in a basement close by and watched her, standing still in the middle of the street, and talking to it. I don't know if it heard her, but it must have, because it slowed down, bent down and just... picked her up and took her away. I don't know what happened to her, but to my knowledge they never found her body, so it must have taken her along when it left. I don't know what their relationship was, but personally I believe that its rampage was a result of it looking for her, because once it had picked her up, it went straight to its departure point and left."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Footage 7:

The camera focuses in on a large solar power installation that was installed after the Kaiju attack. The failed thermal power experiments necessitated a new supply of electricity for the surrounding region, but the size of the installation is outsized to what they could be using. As the camera zooms out, it follows several power lines that approach and finally enter the exclusion zone. They end inside the government facility.

Key: Excessive amount of solar power generation (Adult)

Question:
7. What was the greatest sacrifice people made to stave off or escape the kaiju?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
A man in a black cap sits across the table in his trailer home, head slightly down just so his eyes are obscured, one hand grasping the other.

"I heard it happened more'n a few times, and it definitely happened to me. My mom and dad and a buncha my friends' moms and dads went out with guns and trucks and tried to piss it off, make themselves bait, get it away from the reservation. It worked, but my parents didn't come back. A lot of people didn't come back. And nobody cares except us. I was a kid, I didn't really get the way things were until then."

He looks up, right at the unseen interviewer, with startling hazel eyes: "You should talk to more people about this. There's more than you think got stories like mine."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
A woman in a sleeveless, vintage 1998 WWF Championship t-shirt stares at a bronze memorial.

"I think part of what makes it so hard is that we all watched it happen. On TV, on our phones, and then, afterwards, on the news. Over and over and over again. And it was all so... unbelievable. Like something out of a movie. The kaiju was approaching the children's hospital that hadn't been evacuated yet and, out of practically nowhere, there he is. On the roof. Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson. He was visiting sick kids at the time. And he commandeers this helicopter up there and he flies it straight at the monster and he's having to cut through debris and smoke and all kinds of horror but he manages to fly that thing straight into the creature's eye. Turns it away from the hospital. Saves the kids.

Crazy thing is, no one knows how he did it. There is no record that he ever learned how to fly a helicopter. No evidence he'd ever done it before. But, hey, that's the Rock for you."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
A lean man stares at the camera. Grandchildren enraptured with innocent play run around him before leaving the shot.

He smiles at them, but the expression shifts to one of pained remembrance as they leave.

"I was survivor from one of the bomb sites. The monster tore its way through major cities, and the government even nuked a few of those deemed irreparable, but it was the little towns... small rural country towns, that suffered the most. Well... it seems that way at least."

"My son and I were out doing a cattle round up on the county line. Our land stretched out for acres back then, and meant we'd have to drive sometimes 45 minutes to an hour just to mend a broken fence." the man says wringing his hands uncomfortably.

"My daughter and wife were home when the nuke went off. Their end was quick, and I take that as a mercy, but we watched dumbfounded as a fiery mushroom cloud erupted not more than 20 miles out from us. Hot radioactive winds and the remnants of glassed earth blasting us before we could even process what happened."

"Sure some folks evacuated, took up residence in the shelters as it was announced, but that was around cities. Important places! By the time that drat thing had made its way to us, warnings were almost nonexistent. The government... nah, the world, had adopted an attitude of 'the few, for the many'... I understand it, but... I just... I miss them. Even now... I just..."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Footage 7 complete!

New Kaiju feature: Echolocation

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Footage 8

"What natural or unnatural phenomenon occurred before the attack?"

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
A suited weather forecaster sits on a stool to one side of a TV studio while technicians hang a greenscreen and adjust lights on a ceiling rig. "I remember... bleeding from my ears, and my eyes felt too tight. Honestly, that freaked me out, really freaked me out, I mean I was a kid. Then the stormfront hit, and the winds. I didn't understand until later. I thought the world was ending!" They chuckle, then trail off.

"...I know people who follow weather station blogs and meteorological data releases almost religiously nowadays. I feel bad for them, really. They work themselves up over harmless things."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

The footage for the interview is less formal than the previous interviews. An early middle-aged man sits in a booth, two empty pint glasses at the tables edge and another in danger of consumption gripped in his hands.

His inebriated smile softens as the question is asked and he wastes no time in his recollection.

"I remember in the months leading up to the attack that people were suffering severe headaches. Serious stuff. There were hospitalizations, suicides, and an unfortunate few, well... at the time everyone thought they were crazy, but now we know that they were chosen as heralds... picking up on some undetectable frequency, crying out about the coming destruction. Scary poo poo..."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

An old man in his late sixties is standing in the alleyway behind a major supermarket chain. He's wearing the chain's T-shirt and taking a drag from a cigarette butt.
"Oh, I know what you're talking about. Those loving locusts. You see, I used to work my own farm before the incident. It had been in the family for four generations at least, but with the rise of the big agriculture corporations it had gotten ever more precarious. And then the swarms arrived. Somehow in the months before the monster emerged, locusts across the entire continent all simultaneously decided to start swarming. Now usually pesticides will mostly take care of them, but somehow these ones didn't give a flying gently caress what we sprayed. That was some biblical poo poo I tell you, more than a few people were waiting for rains of blood or a plague of frogs to come next."
He pauses for a moment, spits on the ground and continues:
"Between the lost harvest, the extra costs from the pesticides and the post-catastrophe recession, no bank wanted to lend my family any more money. I had to sell the house and the farm to some suit from the bank. loving rear end in a top hat with his smarmy grin. I've been working at this dump ever since." He points at the super-market behind him. "And now I gotta go back in there, or another rear end in a top hat in a suit will fire me and ruin my chances at getting even the measliest retirement package. You all take care of yourselves." He throws away his cigatte butt, puts it out with his heel and returns to his shift.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
New kaiju feature: powerful, whip tail

The camera is set across from the first statue of the memorial. A pathway splits around the statue and continues on towards more bronze and granite remembrances of those we lost. On the horizon, the tips of the city.

Key: Memorial Site

Footage 8 is now complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Kaiju feature: impaling stone through body

Footage 9: Timelapse footage of nightfall at an observatory compound. The giant mechanical eye turns on its axis and the bright iris comes into view, then snaps out as the telescope springs to life. Time passes, night unfolds, and the sky fills with celestial light - an out-of-place, squamous aurora that dances and twitches to some unseen drum.

Key: [YOUNG] terrible auroras

Question: Which organisation provided long-term support to the survivors?