Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

VIA Hollywood Reporter

quote:

The much maligned trailer for "Loqueesha" in which a white man pretends to be a black woman to get in on a radio gig, was revealed this morning to be part of an elaborate viral campaign for Boots Riley's upcoming sophomore film project "Jeremy Saville wins an Oscar."

"I gotta admit, he got me," comedian Patton Oswalt tweeted this morning after the reveal of the second "real" trailer for the film premiered on Youtube. He was far from the only major public personality to fall for the prank.

"That was the idea," said Riley. "White people have been writing black characters for the sake of white people for so long I decided to just push it a little further."

"I mean [expletive] Green Book won an Oscar"

The film, which follows Jeremy Saville (as himself) making a patently racist film that finds widespread applause in the white film community, is part of the quickly developing oeuvre of the young writer/director Boots Riley.

"Probably the hardest part was finding a dude willing to put his name on that thing," Riley admitted. "Very happy Jeremy was willing to put himself through a weekend of hell for that."

"But hey, maybe now he will win an Oscar," Riley added

You can check the trailer for the "real" movie below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

So what do you think? Viral Marketing gone too far? A good prank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't know what's real anymore.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What time machine set to 2006 did I accidentally turn on that made this thread exist

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

if only

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

eh

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 13, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Blast Fantasto posted:

What time machine set to 2006 did I accidentally turn on that made this thread exist

You went to somethingawful.com, hth

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:gas:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Laqueesha is this generation’s Jud suss

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
MotherFUCKER you got me excited there.

I guess I should have realized from the beginning that Boots Riley would be the last guy to ever do viral marketing.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 14, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pirate Jet posted:

MotherFUCKER you got me excited there.

I guess I should have realized from the beginning that Boots Riley would be the last guy to ever do viral marketing.

Yeah but it would be something where he'd potentially say exactly what he was doing on his message board and just quietly released the trailer and fake website, and just it took the internet a while to figure out it was more meta. That trailer just doesn't seem like it would be real, but uh here we are.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
I like that the voice he does for Loqueesha isn't convincing at all. As if the execution could have saved it. Lol

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

God dammit this was well done, bravo OP.

Still, can't wait to see Loqueesha on opening day!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Just Chamber posted:

God dammit this was well done, bravo OP.

Still, can't wait to see Loqueesha on opening day!

Hope you can get to that one indie theatre in Beverly Hills on July 12 because that's the only screening it has scheduled!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thinking of re-editing the movie if it comes out into an art piece like one of the Cremaster cycle films

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

:nice: :nice: :nice:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I thought the title was Jimmy Saville wins an Oscar, which would be a more interesting movie IMO

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I thought the title was Jimmy Saville wins an Oscar, which would be a more interesting movie IMO

There was a documentary on him called Diabolical Bastard from a few years ago, but all traces of it are gone from the internet. :tinfoil:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hope you can get to that one indie theatre in Beverly Hills on July 12 because that's the only screening it has scheduled!

UPDATE: it seems that they've very quietly removed it from their 'upcoming films' list.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasnt this from Frisky Dingo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nope, was actually the original cover for Party Music, announced on the morning of September 11th 2001, no less.

The album was released in December with a different cover.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think you’re thinking of The Ballocaust.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yoshi Wins posted:

I think you’re thinking of The Ballocaust.

lmao, I loving love Frisky Dingo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

lmao, I loving love Frisky Dingo

Looking at how poo poo Archer is now, I'm kind of glad it only got two seasons.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

:same:

Does Jeremy Saville not have an agent advising him to consider adopting a stage name?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kangra posted:

:same:

Does Jeremy Saville not have an agent advising him to consider adopting a stage name?

He made & released Loqueesha so he's clearly never sought or listened to any advice in his entire life, why would he start now?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Did anybody actually watch this movie, now that it's been out on Prime for like a week?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

General Dog posted:

Did anybody actually watch this movie, now that it's been out on Prime for like a week?

There's been a few youtube reviews and someone in the GBS thread watched at least half of it.

It's real bad!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Nathan Rabin wrote a really in-depth review

https://www.nathanrabin.com/happy-place/2019/6/3/birth-of-a-soul-sister-case-file-127my-year-of-flops-ii-24-loqueesha

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I have seen this movie, here are my thoughts:

https://twitter.com/KennethJWaste2/status/1136821876414697473

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

I have seen this movie, here are my thoughts:

Your anguish was palpable

CD salutes your valiant sacrifice :patriot:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

You're a brave person, in many senses braver than an astronaut or somebody who fought in a war

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nathan Rabin posted:

“Who even knows about Gandhi? He probably lied to his wife too!” Rachel protests, which prompts Saville to break into an imitation of a cheating Gandhi running around on his wife in a thick Indian accent as uncannily exact as it is culturally sensitive and historically accurate. Nah, I’m just kidding. It’s loving terrible. Offensive as gently caress. In Saville’s mind, every Indian person is clearly Apu.

Even if it were somehow a massive troll, the existence of this movie is astounding.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kangra posted:

Even if it were somehow a massive troll, the existence of this movie is astounding.

You'd think that some part of that would make it funny, but no. It's a profoundly unfunny movie that is basically Jeremy Saville sucking his own dick for 90 minutes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

This is a pro-click and a worthwhile read, even at its length. It's amazing that, no matter how bad you thought this movie was going to be when you heard about the premise, the finished film is much, much worse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ever since he got canned by AV Club and/or Trump got elected, Nathan Rabin is way too angry to be enjoyable anymore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am glad I made this thread because I found out Nathan Rabin is still doing his flops articles and I now have a huge backlog to enjoy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

Ever since he got canned by AV Club and/or Trump got elected, Nathan Rabin is way too angry to be enjoyable anymore.

It shouldn't affect this review because watching Loqueesha should make anyone justifiably angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Bogus Adventure posted:

It shouldn't affect this review because watching Loqueesha should make anyone justifiably angry.

Except it shouldn’t because it’s just some self-produced, vanity project, dtv garbage. It is literally just a window into the insane narcissism of a completely unremarkable performer. It’s also tremendously informative as an example of a modern Randian objectivist film.

The precise wrong way of going about it is to try to raise its political profile as being somehow particularly emblematic of racism or transphobia or whatever. Saville’s politics are not nearly as problematic just because he decides to affect a fat sassy black woman as, say, Zoolander 2, which is obviously not an “alt-right” film. The movie is about a gen x crank who revived the mammy to spin down home, “tough love” wisdom. It’s at least interesting as a premise, it’s just realized with maximal horror.

The essential double feature is Brawl in Cell Block 99, another unbearably bloviated movie about an arch-egoist who is indisputably just absorbed in a racist, misogynistic fantasy, but constantly qualified with post-racial/feminist memes. A big part of 99 is that Vaughn just brutalizes and kills minorities to save his wife, but tells his drug dealer boss not to say the N word; and the parallel narrative of Loqueesha is that Saville really does feel like Loqueesha is a part of his “identity,” which should be tolerated implicitly. It’s insane, but it’s much more fascinating than it is offensive, like The Room.