Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Trailer got a slight chuckle outta me, but it looked pretty formulaic and low budget, kind of feels like a 90's Norm Macdonald movie, which I had to look up. I know I'm supposed to be big mad offended by blackface but I've honestly just never been able to bring myself to care, mostly it just looks low budget, formulaic, and kinda silly/stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isnt this just that Artie Lang MADTv sketch where he pretends to be a black mom or something made into a movie?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

banned from Starbucks posted:

Isnt this just that Artie Lang MADTv sketch where he pretends to be a black mom or something made into a movie?

Well yeah, except the whole "Can you imagine if anyone actually made something this offensive?" part which was the whole point of those sketches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmjuSOhaYco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoc2A-fNUw

Edit: judging by the youtube comments there's a whole lot of people who somehow missed that part so I don't even know any more

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 12, 2019

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am glad I made this thread because I found out Nathan Rabin is still doing his flops articles and I now have a huge backlog to enjoy

Rabin has low-key been doing great writing since The Dissolve ended. Yeah he's a little angrier now, but he seems to always find something worthwhile to write about.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

K. Waste posted:

Except it shouldn’t because it’s just some self-produced, vanity project, dtv garbage. It is literally just a window into the insane narcissism of a completely unremarkable performer. It’s also tremendously informative as an example of a modern Randian objectivist film.

The precise wrong way of going about it is to try to raise its political profile as being somehow particularly emblematic of racism or transphobia or whatever. Saville’s politics are not nearly as problematic just because he decides to affect a fat sassy black woman as, say, Zoolander 2, which is obviously not an “alt-right” film. The movie is about a gen x crank who revived the mammy to spin down home, “tough love” wisdom. It’s at least interesting as a premise, it’s just realized with maximal horror.

The essential double feature is Brawl in Cell Block 99, another unbearably bloviated movie about an arch-egoist who is indisputably just absorbed in a racist, misogynistic fantasy, but constantly qualified with post-racial/feminist memes. A big part of 99 is that Vaughn just brutalizes and kills minorities to save his wife, but tells his drug dealer boss not to say the N word; and the parallel narrative of Loqueesha is that Saville really does feel like Loqueesha is a part of his “identity,” which should be tolerated implicitly. It’s insane, but it’s much more fascinating than it is offensive, like The Room.

It should, though. The entire plot device used to drive Joe's decision to create "Loqueesha" is the concept of affirmative action, and that he did not get his fair shake because he's just a white guy. It's something that is also immediately contradicted by the radio station being desperate for anything to increase ratings, and then never brought up again.

The movie doesn't have to be explicitly about "alt-right" politics to justify making people angry. it's movie with a South Park-level understanding of race, society, and discrimination that that offers a dumbass opinion on how it affects people like Saville. It's a bad opinion to have, and the idiot made a movie to hammer it home.

The only good thing this movie has going for it is that it will pass into the oblivion of forgotten garbage because it has the decency to be insipid and boring as hell. The Room, however, is a masterpiece of art poorly put together under one man's vision, and shall live on forever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
if there is one benefit to Rabin's ongoing coverage on Saville its that the offensive ideas of Loqueesha are not unique to that film

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, that review makes this sound far, far worse than I could have ever imagined it was

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Boots Riley is a dumb piece of poo poo and makes bad movies.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

zapplez posted:

:sad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zapplez posted:

i'll give you the first half but Sorry to Bother You is legit great

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

zapplez posted:

Lol you’re kind of dim, huh?

he wasn’t actually involved it was a bad joke, like the future of the Toronto Raptors basketball team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zapplez posted:

no