Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Maybe I'm desensitized but this really doesn't live up to the 'edgiest comic eva' hype. Its just bland cartoon characters saying but not doing laziliy 'offensive' things. The worst bit is definitely the whole abortion bit but not because it's particularly transgressive (South Park did the same joke better years ago) but because it turns into an uncomfortable pro life polemic half way through.

The story doesn't go anywhere beyond "twisted cartoonist enters cartoon world, kills cartoon characters off-panel." Theres literally no point to any of this and its not even showing or even revelling in any of the nastiness? Theres a bit in the final issue where we learn that the "real" frosty jack was in the real world body of the serial killer and died in the electric chair, and the only reaction I can muster is "So?" Was that supposed to be darkly funny? Was I meant to care about frosty jack? I just don't know what the comic is even going for its just lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Fair enough Its just that with so much pedophillia and child murder I was really suprised how utterly tame the comic was. I did get a big lol out of the blurb on the back cover tho. I don't think anyone quoted there actualy read the thing.

Its just these are cartoon characters, you can get away with a lot with cartoon characters. The offensive variant covers (especially the gator abortion one) are so far removed from the actual content it feels like they put much more effort into marketing the thing than the thing itself.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Not that I'm saying I'd prefer more explicit cartoon abortions, I just might have respected the thing even a little if it wasn't more pg than Fritz the cat for example. I think the howling nothingness at the core of this stupid thing may be affecting my judgement at this point.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
"I wanted to portay a heroic rapist" is at least an original idea, a really, really bad one but thats still one more than Millar managed with this poo poo.

Edit: in reference to Dommic Deegan, I've never read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dell_Zincht posted:

Are you referring to Eggsy taking the Dutch Princess up the arse? Wasn't controversial in the slightest in the UK for some reason.
Its a bond pastiche so the casual sexism didn't raise many eyebrows I guess.

The film was ok in spite of that, I never watched the sequel because the trailer was dumb as hell. Never a good sign when a sequel revives a character that pretty explicitly died in the first movie like they're Shadow the Hedgehog ffs.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dell_Zincht posted:

The way they revived him was actually quite clever and made for a good plot device later in the movie.

The sequel in general was dumber than a box of hair but it was still entertaining. If you liked the first one you should check it out.
He was shot point blank in the loving head, why should I give a poo poo about anything that happens in a spy thriller when they can apparently cure a bullet to the brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc it was the "if you let me out of this cell" part of the "i'll let you gently caress my rear end" deal that people objected to.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Why don't you loving watch it and see? It's not like Kingsman is the most realistic film around in the first place. Harry has a bloody umbrella that can deflect bullets for Christ's sake!
It looks bad, I've heard nothing but bad things about it and the thing I really hated about the trailer undermines everything I enjoyed about the first film.

There's also a world of difference between a bullet proof umbrella gun and a character coming back to life. Or a tracking device that only functions inside a vagina for that matter.