Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Okay, so this is pretty shocking even by Millar standards i'll admit, but apart from this, why all the extreme hate for the guy?

Seriously, educate me on why I should hate this man and not buy his comics because i've ignorantly bought and enjoyed immensely Kick-rear end, Hit-Girl, The Secret Service, MPH, Nemesis and Chrononauts. I like both Kick-rear end movies (even if the sequel was disappointing compared to the first) and both Kingsman movies and own them all on Blu-Ray. I know a fair bit about Millar from reading his editorials and other strips in CLiNT magazine.

Am I just missing something? I started reading comics around 2008/2009, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Thanks for all your opinions on Millar guys, really appreciate it. I guess I don't really look deeper into his comics other than being entertained by the storyline and enjoying the artwork. I've always been a big fan of John Romita Jr which is probably what drew me to Kick-rear end in the first place.

I'm just curious, what is the deeper meaning behind The Secret Service in your eyes? To me it was just a pastiche/homage to classic spy movies, nothing else. The fact that the movie remained pretty true to the comic seemed to reinforce this.

One other thing, considering nobody on here has defended him so far - How come he seems to be pretty well respected in the industry? You don't get the big artists drawing for you or even names like Kevin Smith writing one of your character's runs unless your peers admire you, surely? A lot of writers would kill just to see ONE of their titles made into a movie. Did he just get lucky? Does he have dirt on the bigwigs at Marvel? What about the Netflix deal? Surely all that success must mean something?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to de-rail this thread!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Alhazred posted:

He's comics are popular. It really isn't more complicated than that.

As I understand it he's better at pitching movie ideas than most of his colleagues.

Then I can't even begin to imagine how terrible the source material for Kick rear end 2 was.

Mass child murder and gang rape were two things that weren't in the movie.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've mentioned it before but all of the controversial aspects of the ending of Kingsman were not in the original comic.

Are you referring to Eggsy taking the Dutch Princess up the arse? Wasn't controversial in the slightest in the UK for some reason.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mr Phillby posted:

Its a bond pastiche so the casual sexism didn't raise many eyebrows I guess.

The film was ok in spite of that, I never watched the sequel because the trailer was dumb as hell. Never a good sign when a sequel revives a character that pretty explicitly died in the first movie like they're Shadow the Hedgehog ffs.

The way they revived him was actually quite clever and made for a good plot device later in the movie.

The sequel in general was dumber than a box of hair but it was still entertaining. If you liked the first one you should check it out.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mr Phillby posted:

He was shot point blank in the loving head, why should I give a poo poo about anything that happens in a spy thriller when they can apparently cure a bullet to the brain?

Why don't you loving watch it and see? It's not like Kingsman is the most realistic film around in the first place. Harry has a bloody umbrella that can deflect bullets for Christ's sake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

which iirc isn't really accurate to what happens- Eggsy's gonna let her out anyways and she decides she wants to reward him for it with buttsex, which actually makes him be like "hold that thought" and go handle the rest of the plot first

Eggsy teases her by saying "If I let you out will you give me a kiss? I've always wanted to kiss a princess" or words to that effect and she's like "if you let me out i'll give you more than a kiss" and he's like "oh really" and then he says he has to go save the world. She then says "if you save the world, we can do it in the rear end in a top hat?" and he says "I will be right back" and so yeah I don't honestly get where the controversy came from