Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

computer science works the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
four computers on the edge of a cliff?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Sweevo posted:

the guy who taught my assembly programming class didn't understand that numbers were binary inside the registers.

the first assignment was to write a function that took a number and constructed a string showing the binary representation. he got pissy when mine was about a dozen lines of shifts and checking flags instead of the page-long divide + remainder algorithm he was so pleased with

it's been over 10 years and I'm still mad that our assembly professor put a bunch of "Convert value x from base 5 to base 13" type questions on the midterm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

it's been over 10 years and I'm still mad that our assembly professor put a bunch of "Convert value x from base 5 to base 13" type questions on the midterm

i... disagree? this seems a fine exercise, demonstrates understanding some key concepts in a minimal way.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

but I was unprepared :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

It's a tool of the bourgeoisie to prevent peasants from attaining high paying tech jobs

but the tech billionaires keep telling us that degrees are worthless

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

listen to stymie, stymie is truth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the tech billionaires keep telling us that degrees are worthless

Reverse psychology

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm glad i got a software engineering degree because it mostly focused on actually useful things like design scoping, automated testing, design patterns, architecture, etc etc. poo poo that you actually need if you're going to build something without it turning into a massive pile of poo poo (all my work products are giant piles of poo poo anyways)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm glad i got a software engineering degree because it mostly focused on actually useful things like design scoping, automated testing, design patterns, architecture, etc etc. poo poo that you actually need if you're going to build something without it turning into a massive pile of poo poo (all my work products are giant piles of poo poo anyways)

wish u got a poasting engineering degree, op

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

because then u could be held liable for your posts

because they are bad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i sign all my posts

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

Spoiler: it all turns into a massive pile of poo poo after a long enough period of time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

OldAlias posted:

rocks with math inside

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Management posted:

a CS degree teaches you computing theory. this is entirely useless to 90% or recipients, whose main challenge after graduation is making some lovely middlewear spit out a web page that only renders in ie6. on rare occasion one of the graduates will remember what a data structure is, and perhaps use it to make their O(n^3) operation not time out.

sqlCommand.CommandTimeout = 3600 * 1000; // kept getting errors from database

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

they made you take architecture classes? weird

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they made you take architecture classes? weird

:v:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
its five ninths of a fs degree minus thirty two, OP

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
shoulda just studied business

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

this sounds really really boring though

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
cs is a degree where you learn 12 sorting algorithms and 0 version control tools

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

cs is a degree where you learn 12 sorting algorithms and 0 version control tools

ideally yeah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if you learned version in control in school you went to a poo poo school

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

and none of them are n log n

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you learned version in control in school you went to a poo poo school

i learned it in school from my classmates

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too incidentally learned the newest and coolest version control software available from doing projects with classmates, don't know what i'd have done without those in-depth cvs skills. (counting down to the post from the person using rcs in school)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it me, we used RCS in school, during group projects

it was easy enough on AFS to just set an ACL on a shared directory and then use RCS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used .BAK files, the original version control

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i too incidentally learned the newest and coolest version control software available from doing projects with classmates, don't know what i'd have done without those in-depth cvs skills. (counting down to the post from the person using rcs in school)

probably get more use out of cvs than knowing how to implement heap-sort

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Poopernickel posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

probably get more use out of cvs than knowing how to implement heap-sort

this is not true, and i on top of that disagree with the values implied.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

still using this right now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
a miserable compiler of C++

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Tayter Swift posted:

a miserable compiler of C++

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i've yet to write anything that runs in a browser.

you are blessed

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

you need the degree to get interviews for your first job. hopefully your first job is as a junior dev, and not QA or a tester because it has a large impact on your career outlook and lifetime earnings. and you don't strictly need the degree to get an interview. the college classes do not actually prepare you to pass the interview(both because college classes largely do not cover what you will actually be doing, and interview are also not testing what you will be doing, it is mostly a test to see if you think like the interviewer), or do the job. the first 6 months or so of your first job will be mostly training with little productive work. and realistically you need many years of training/experience before you can work without supervision.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lampey posted:

you need the degree to get interviews for your first job. hopefully your first job is as a junior dev, and not QA or a tester because it has a large impact on your career outlook and lifetime earnings. and you don't strictly need the degree to get an interview. the college classes do not actually prepare you to pass the interview(both because college classes largely do not cover what you will actually be doing, and interview are also not testing what you will be doing, it is mostly a test to see if you think like the interviewer), or do the job. the first 6 months or so of your first job will be mostly training with little productive work. and realistically you need many years of training/experience before you can work without supervision.

Unfortunately not having that degree still follows you around after your first job. I've known people who didn't go the degree route because they had a job straight out of high school, end up leaving their company after 10 years and end up going to school anyway because they were struggling to get their feet in the front door at many places. I'm not saying it's right, but just that it happens more than you'd think.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my degree program hasnt taught me a tjing about computer in a literal month. this is a feat considering i dont know poo poo as it is

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

Unfortunately not having that degree still follows you around after your first job. I've known people who didn't go the degree route because they had a job straight out of high school, end up leaving their company after 10 years and end up going to school anyway because they were struggling to get their feet in the front door at many places. I'm not saying it's right, but just that it happens more than you'd think.

are they getting passed over because they don't have a computer degree or because they don't have a degree period

because i know there are other jobs out there where HR perversely doesn't care what four year degree you have as long as you've got one

that was literally half my motivation to finish my bachelor's degree right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive literally never been asked anything about my degree ever, and ive worked at places like oracle and atlassian