Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ahahahah Bray does all this just to revert back to the same lovely gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

What track record? Who in recent memory on the main roster had a gimmick and character imposed on them?

Come on dude, I'm not attacking you here, don't try and pretend like WWE doesn't have a long record of imposing stupid poo poo on wrestlers out of either malice or stupidity. It's entirely reasonable for people to think this is something they might be doing now or again in the future. Throwing in that "in recent memory" stuff has nothing to do with what I posted and it's a stupid loving thing to be arguing about when I wasn't even disagreeing with what you posted in the first place, just pointing out it wasn't any great mystery why people thought the way they did.

Jesus Christ.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 14, 2019

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Y
o
w
i
e

W
o
w
i
e

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have to admit, as much as I disliked the reveal of Bray's new in-ring (presumably) persona, I did get a laugh out of him doing the Yowie Wowie! line in the new voice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wwe famously doesn’t impose gimmicks on their wrestlers which is why stardust cody rhodes is still happily employed independently contracted there

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Come on dude, I'm not attacking you here, don't try and pretend like WWE doesn't have a long record of imposing stupid poo poo on wrestlers out of either malice or stupidity. It's entirely reasonable for people to think this is something they might be doing now or again in the future. Throwing in that "in recent memory" stuff has nothing to do with what I posted and it's a stupid loving thing to be arguing about when I wasn't even disagreeing with what you posted in the first place, just pointing out it wasn't any great mystery why people thought the way they did.

Jesus Christ.

Lots of words for no actual answer.

The best I can come up with was The Funkasaurus. That was 2012. Emmalina was 2016 and that was several failed gimmicks and interpersonal issues down the road.

I am not stumping for current WWE Creative or the effectiveness of it AT ALL. But the talent always has input.

History will show Nikki was lumbered with the SANITY/Nikki Cross character and it was something against type she made work.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Drake maverick as the piss guy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

Lots of words for no actual answer.

Matt Bloom returning from Japan to become Lord Tensai in 2012
Stardust from 2014 through to leaving the company
The New Day in their initial heel black gospel choir version which they all disliked and struggled through until finally being given the freedom to actually turn it into something good
Lana's stupid "affair" storyline with Ziggler that she and Rusev publicly torpedoed to escape in 2015
EmmaLina in 2016
Sasha Banks and Bayley's entire booking for the last 2-3 years which Sasha vocally complained about as they tried to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse
Becky Lynch's stupid and thankfully quickly aborted heel character in 2018
The Revival in whatever the gently caress stupid punishment bullshit WWE is doing with them in May of 2019
Whenever it was that WWE did that loving nasty rear end poo poo with Charlotte having her dead brother brought up in promos and then made her claim it was her idea/she was cool with it.

I hope this list of "recent memory" events on top of everything that happened in the previous 30 or so years help you to grasp why I said it was understandable why people might believe this angle with Nikki was a WWE idea even if that isn't the case. If it doesn't, then I guess we'll have to agree to... agree since I didn't actually disagree with you in the first place and I don't actually get what the issue here actually is.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 14, 2019

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I watched a bit of RAW between hockey periods last night.

My favorite part was the complete and utter silence during Baron Corbin's "heat" segment on the mic, during the entire match, and during the ending. You could hear a pin drop the entire time. Not even an hour into the show and the crowd was already completely defeated and bored. From an overseas crowd that only gets RAW a couple times a year. On a taped show. And they didn't even try to sweeten the crowd noise. Just complete silence for 10 minutes or so.

And they keep pushing Baron Corbin. This company deserves to die.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The latest thing you can list is 3 years ago. Look at all the talent called up since.

Characters/gimmicks being imposed on people is much much less likely than likely.

Jerusalem posted:

I hope this list of "recent memory" events on top of everything that happened in the previous 30 or so years help you to grasp why I said it was understandable why people might believe this angle with Nikki was a WWE idea even if that isn't the case. If it doesn't, then I guess we'll have to agree to... agree since I didn't actually disagree with you in the first place and I don't actually get what the issue here actually is.

Neither do I. Also it was Rarity's assumption to begin with. I just posted that it probably wasn't accurate. Nikki has been publicly pitching for a while now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

rovert posted:

The latest thing you can list is 3 years ago. Look at all the talent called up since.

Characters/gimmicks being imposed on people is much much less likely than likely.

Uh are you willfully ignoring the stuff from literally this month or are you illiterate

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fun fact Ambrose actually left the WWE five months after his heel turn because he felt he was having if anything too much input into his character

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Roverts at it again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

The latest thing you can list is 3 years ago.

May of 2019 is right now, dude. Unless the Revival are the ones who pitched,"Instead of being throwback 80s style wrestlers who decry modern day flair in favor of the basics, can we be ritually humiliated every single week by bizarrely outdated concepts of heterosexuality?"

rovert posted:

I just posted that it probably wasn't accurate. Nikki has been publicly pitching for a while now.

And I just posted why it was understandable why people thought this sudden character 180 was a WWE mandated change in direction.

I'm gonna stop posting about this now because it's probably just tedious to everybody else, for which I apologize.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sorry, is this the WWE discussion thread for 13th May? Cause it looks just like every other WWE discussion thread for the last 3 months.

I guess we could always call it a Raw homage?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

bradzilla posted:

Uh are you willfully ignoring the stuff from literally this month or are you illiterate

Those are angles and not characters or gimmicks.

Jackie D posted:

Roverts at it again!

You've totally got me:

rovert posted:

I am not stumping for current WWE Creative or the effectiveness of it AT ALL. But the talent always has input.

SANITY has been totally disbanded. Nikki's Youtube channel is devoted to showing a new side of herself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7oZ4mHPhbaP5ZRie90EDvw/videos

Since Raw her and her husband have been posted happy posts on social media.

rovert fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 14, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How your character acts in a certain angle is in fact a very important part of your character

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Andrast posted:

How your character acts in a certain angle is in fact a very important part of your character

Who said otherwise?

Nikki hasn't asked out of her contract either. But let's compare apples with oranges for reasons.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Crazzy Bray

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I think Rovert's right about Cross' Sanity gimmick limiting her potential but I can't imagine being yet another Alexa Bliss lackey will be of much help either. I guess it'll actually get her on TV though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I imagine that she's gonna be added to the match or somehow involved and take Alexa out, but it's also more than possible that they stretch out their "friendship" at least a few weeks.

Regardless of anything else, it's nice she's actually appearing on television again for a change.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

J-ru I appreciate your dedication to the European tour by listing the date backwards.

The rest of the thread though. Yowie wowie.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Tomahawk posted:

Crazzy Bray

Has experimented with using a mask before.

This was when he was just taken off the main roster as Husky Harris flopped. Also, there were concerns about his ballooning weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_cxTzPtuD0

OctoberCountry posted:

I think Rovert's right about Cross' Sanity gimmick limiting her potential but I can't imagine being yet another Alexa Bliss lackey will be of much help either. I guess it'll actually get her on TV though.

It is a kind of a time honoured thing in the Women's division - Mickie, Nia, Alicia, and Mickie again.

At least this time you don't know who will stab who in the back.

Obviously, I've no faith WWE will execute it adequately though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

J-ru I appreciate your dedication to the European tour by listing the date backwards.

Jesus Christ don't let this year have even MORE months :gonk:

Thanks, that was a dumb mistake on my behalf.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Things that could save this gimmick for Bray

1) Some kind of flaming tiki torch that he brings down to the ring

2) I dunno man maybe he rides in on the old hardy lawnmower or something

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

reignofevil posted:

Things that could save this gimmick for Bray

1) Some kind of flaming tiki torch that he brings down to the ring

2) I dunno man maybe he rides in on the old hardy lawnmower or something

I want him to come out with creepy music and his Slipknot mask....and be a total ra ra baby face. Clapping for the crowd, posing on the turnbuckle, leading wowie zowie chants. Then he can spray the crowd with blood like at a Gwar show but they all love it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
By jove I think he might be onto something

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

How dare you call our superior dd/mm/yyyy system dumb

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm sure the talent have agency in the sense that they're told "hey if you don't want to do this that's fine" knowing full well they'll be loving buried worse if they say no.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Croc posted:

No no, I'm saying I'M dumb!

reignofevil posted:

By jove I think he might be onto something

:hmmyes:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

No no, I'm saying I'M dumb!

too late im driving the dx tank to your mansion its war (also i've already won the war)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

You fool, you were supposed to take credit for it!

The Croc posted:

Look I'm just saying it's not Star Wars day because you say "Fourth of May be with you"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

we never forget 11/9 either

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Look I'm just saying it's not Star Wars day because you say "Fourth of May be with you"

Yoda: bullshit. This is :mad:

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i can't believe Bray Wyatt's new character was actually something far more sinister than it originally appeared to be on its surface. his character is ruined now that this totally unexpected reveal has occurred and he is no longer a simple children's television show host, but actually a scary crazy man

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So this bray Wyatt poo poo is a new record for killing all subtlety and interest in a gimmick right? Let something breathe goddamn.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1128122359121006592

She's going to get double crossed and then forgotten because she's not blond.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1128122359121006592

She's going to get double crossed and then forgotten because she's not blond.

I'm so sick and tired of WWE only giving belts to blonde women

It's honestly just ridiculous

When will it end?????

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The Midas touch

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1128286354545291265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Disruption is the worst word in the modern lexicon. But I suppose I commend the Photoshop duders at Variety for making Vince look like he's not been dead for 2 hours.

It's also funny timing considering the WWE stock just keeps dropping and is nearly below $81 after hitting $99.25 less than a month ago. (which to be fair is only bad outside of context. 12 months ago it was under $45)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 14, 2019