Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PITT posted:

Tombstone vs Biteforce will be the real championship, I don't believe they haven't matched up since the 2015 championship, and BF configuration is quite a bit different now. Hard to say who will come out on top, I have a feeling Paul has a super secret front plow or something hes savings for tombstone like he had in 2015.

The final match will be a victory lap.

Witch Doctor has beaten Tombstone in another competition and was dominating but got unlucky to lose their Battlebots matchup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

With how Witch Doctor has gone from one of the competitions least reliable bots to whatever this season has been sure was a thing.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

MiddleOne posted:

With how Witch Doctor has gone from one of the competitions least reliable bots to whatever this season has been sure was a thing.

Yeah, Witch Doctor ostensibly only lost its BB match against Tombstone because it couldn't self right, and they've corrected that, and they won that Amazon match in Vegas, but people say it's because Ray wasn't driving. I want to see a Tombstone/Witch Doctor final now.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Wow, I really underestimated Death Roll and overestimated Hydra.

I'm pretty bummed about Huge, but I think I agree with the decision. I'm not sure it did enough to earn a portion of control or aggression to help put it over the edge.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

no broccoli please posted:

they won that Amazon match in Vegas, but people say it's because Ray wasn't driving.

That's the impression I got from watching it. He let somebody else take it for a spin and they couldn't quite handle it.

Poor Quantum, though.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I was surprised at Sawblaze's win this round. The last time they used that hammer saw, it seemed to throw off the balance of the bot so much that it basically nullified the wedge, but I guess they figured that out.

I really, really wish I could put a cap on Kenny saying "yeah, absolutely" in a given episode. Once I started noticing it, it's all I can hear from him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sawblaze is a little badass, sometimes, and now I regret doubting them but I'm happy SOW lost. Also wrong: Hydra, expected better performance but I'm glad for Minotaur . Black Dragon, I thought Lockjaw's overheating problem would do them in.

Ones I got right
Biteforce by KO
Tombstone by KO
Whiplash by decision
Deathroll by KO
Witch doctor by decision

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

In the correct thread this time: witch doctor vs blacksmith aftermath

https://www.facebook.com/witchdrshaman/posts/2150130585091764

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I loved how the dude with Blacksmith was on fire and ripped and yelling, "Is that all you got!" These teams are not just competitors, they are fans and that makes it even more fun to watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wormil posted:

These teams are not just competitors, they are fans and that makes it even more fun to watch.

I just spotted this exchange on the Witch Doctor page

:allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wormil posted:

I loved how the dude with Blacksmith was on fire and ripped and yelling, "Is that all you got!" These teams are not just competitors, they are fans and that makes it even more fun to watch.

It's because his only hope to win is to get the other bot to break itself on Blacksmith, so he keeps trying to get them to go at Blacksmith in hopes he can survive longer than the other bot :smug:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
"i have translational movement" i continue to insist as it is ripped apart into large chunks and thrown across the arena

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wormil posted:

These teams are not just competitors, they are fans and that makes it even more fun to watch.

I just found this video about Team Lockjaw vs Team Skorpios out in the carpark before their big loser-goes-home match hugging the heck out of each other :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922eCnBGWOE

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tonight's the last episode of the season right?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yup.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1177176126411726849

Uh, don't watch the preview vid of the finale on the Battlebots twitter unless you want to be spoiled with snippets of the Round of 8 fights. It's probably going to air at the beginning of tonight's episode, too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
C'mon Death Roll! Aussie Aussie Aussie!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Death roll has been vicious this year, they are my upset pick to win the right bracket.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pretty danged hype for this. It's been a great season.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

is pepsi ok posted:

Pretty danged hype for this. It's been a great season.

I feel like they really nailed the format the last two years.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm all in on Death Roll

tho they may be out of parts :ohdear:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That was insane!!! Witch Doctor back from the dead!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm all in on Death Roll

:(

5 more seconds

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

that was cathartic

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

how did Tombstone lose the wheel on the other side of the bot?

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I dunno if it was intentional or not but it looked like Bite Force slid in to wedge Tombstone's blade between his front wedge and the ground after that first hit, which looked like it was what snapped it. I imagine the sheer force of that spread through the rest of the bot and weakened the wheel connection so it snapped when it hit the ground. I guess it's also possible that the half of the broken weapon bar hit it and knocked it off.

I'm worried about Witch Doctor :ohdear:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

They not gonna do a bonus rumble?

boooooooo

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
They were advertising 29 unaired fights for their $5/month facebook supporters (to be upped for free onto Youtube sometime next year) so that's where all of the exhibition stuff is going.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

awwww, incredible run from witch doctor but bite force is unstoppable.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bite Force is the greatest, my goodness.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I like how Paul Ventimiglia is always "we had a lot of problems with the bot" in every interview as he goes on yet another dominant undefeated run

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

rare Magic card l00k posted:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

yeah, well, Bite Force still lost to Chomp :colbert:

loser

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bite force is insane, but my mind is still racking over what the heck happened to tombstone

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was cheering for Witch Doctor but I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. This was a phenomenal finals tournament.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was also rooting for Witch Doctor in that final bout but Bite Force is just unstoppable, I swear he was deliberately sacrificing his forks to lull them into a false sense of security and patiently waiting for them to make the slightest mistake so he could go all in on them.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm all in on Death Roll

They still did incredibly well though, making it all the way to the quarter finals, lasting the full three minutes and losing via split judges decision.

That'll do, croc. That'll do. :unsmith:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

bite force is insane, but my mind is still racking over what the heck happened to tombstone

Tombstone's blade hit the floor basically at full speed. The floor isn't taking that much energy away from Tombstone. So drat near all of the energy of the hit went straight back through Tombstone and probably did a poo poo ton of damage to the frame and insides... Even popping off a wheel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo godammit witch doctor looked like they had a chance at it early.

I kinda don't get how Bite Force is so good. From the outside it doesn't look like they're engineered uniquely. It looks generic, but then it's completely unstoppable except for the one time Chomp worked exactly as designed.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Pretty much comes down to driving I think, Paul does a real good job of keeping his weapon always pointed at the opponent. Hes almost turret like in his movements, even when hes removed from the opponent he sets himself up for a straight shot in at speed, rarely does it roam around so to speak.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That was a pretty good season, overall. Lots of bots and fewer ESC problems or whatever was plaguing things in previous seasons. Sure, some bots caught on fire or stopped working but usually it was clear that it was due to the fight even if it was early on. I like that there's more international teams and some hints that they're not the only robot show.

I want a tombstone clone to clear some property but I should probably just rent a brush mower.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I kinda don't get how Bite Force is so good. From the outside it doesn't look like they're engineered uniquely. It looks generic, but then it's completely unstoppable except for the one time Chomp worked exactly as designed.

It's just very reliably built. Turns well, drives well, hits things without destroying itself, prongs tear off rather than hurt the frame, etc. Contrast that to a bot like Endgame that is virtually an identical design idea, but pulled off incrementally worse.

And yeah the superb driving obviously.

Man that Tombstone hit was one in a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bite force can pivot around faster than any other bot in a way that doesn't cause one side to lift up ala minotaur, along with front ground game that is miles lower than anybody else can match. pair it up with a vertical spinner that hits like three trucks and you have a winner.