Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

Philo will let you watch it live. Science channel has an extra (usually crap) fight or segment but airs several days later.

Thanks, I'll give that a go if it doesn't show up today or tomorrow on Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Twitch event was p fun, Audio mixing aside.
Icewave tho, what happened to ya buddy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Zedd posted:

Twitch event was p fun, Audio mixing aside.
Icewave tho, what happened to ya buddy.

Heatstroke probably.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I like the temp ladyhost, she was so excited. :3:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sawblaze mo as a fake wedgebot is as good as ever

e: Frogbot :frogout:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 8, 2019

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Frog mvp

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I remember Kraken being a cool looking bot that kinda sucked last time but that fight was cool.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was a fight :stare:

Death Roll can take a hit, RIP Battlebox

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Watching the episode as I type this. Gotta say watching subzero fail was enjoyable

e: a bunch were fun for a first episode. also I saw this and just had to make a gif out of it. feel free to put it in the OP if you want

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 8, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's pretty cool that they took the time to show some random bot not fighting in the episode and the struggle the builder went through...

With Deep 6 literally destroying itself in the test box.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Quantum and Cobalt are both so good.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Watching the episode as I type this. Gotta say watching subzero fail was enjoyable

e: a bunch were fun for a first episode. also I saw this and just had to make a gif out of it. feel free to put it in the OP if you want

It's added to the OP.

Looks like from the pit shot after the fight, Quantum still had the piece of armor it pierced through and not able to actually get the tooth out... Crazy to see piercing bots actually piercing metal.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Quantum teams other bot Spectre is great on King of Bots

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

halokiller posted:

Speaking of exhibition matches:

These matches also happens after Battlebots (that is still due to air) ended. :ssh:

I see Gary has managed to get his bot in with less camouflage this time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

The first half of the first episode is out on Discovery Go as well as in the open. The opening montage has a poo poo load of future match-ups if you're concerned by that. And it's such a huge cock tease that the half episode ends in the middle of the Deathroll vs End Game fight.

I really expected them to call a halt to the fight at that point because the battlebox was falling apart around them so I was surprised and delighted when they just kept pounding the crap out of each other. A proud Aussie vs Kiwi tradition. :buddy:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So there was a very obvious cut where they had to break apart Quantum and Blacksmith the first time. Apparently it took six hours to get that done. :stare:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
An acquaintance of mine is on the Rotator team and man his face during those three minutes

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I credit the guys on NJGW for this joke but I had to do this it fits too well.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=jWl1tS4UdzE&video_start=60&audio=9IdM4PLowDw&audio_start=0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Episode is up on Prime!

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Quantum and Cobalt are both so good.

Cobalt really seems to kick rear end and is a good reincarnation of Carbide (they kept the colors!) these guys build custom weapon motors so they don't gently caress around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheCoach posted:

Cobalt really seems to kick rear end and is a good reincarnation of Carbide (they kept the colors!) these guys build custom weapon motors so they don't gently caress around.

They mentioned it was in some Chinese competitions - do any of those stream or record anywhere?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I think they were in "This is Fighting Robots" but unfortunately that show format wasn't very good and finding episodes is not easy.
They did compete with Carbide in all 3 seasons of the Robot Wars reboot though so you can watch that to see what kind of machines they can build.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

RBA Starblade posted:

They mentioned it was in some Chinese competitions - do any of those stream or record anywhere?

They competed and won as Tungsten in 'This is Fighting Robots'. And due to some lovely Chinese law where 80% of actors/competitors have to be domestic, they weren't selected to come back next year to defend the title. :china:

Both Quantum and Carbide's teams do have some serious pedigree. The former were actually producers of the Robot Wars reboot and built the house robots. I expect them to go far this tournament.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wonder if this is finally the year that clamp bots are actually going to be good

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think they are still gonna have a tough time with all the really good spinners in the competition this year.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Buffing the arena weapons a bit would help the clamp/control bots. Spectre did some good work on the chinese comp using the arena.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

halokiller posted:

They competed and won as Tungsten in 'This is Fighting Robots'. And due to some lovely Chinese law where 80% of actors/competitors have to be domestic, they weren't selected to come back next year to defend the title. :china:

Both Quantum and Carbide's teams do have some serious pedigree. The former were actually producers of the Robot Wars reboot and built the house robots. I expect them to go far this tournament.

Give me Sir Killalot in exhibition match please

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

There were two Chinese competitions, King of Bots and This Is Fighting Robots. They're made by the same people, but have different formats. Think of This Is Fighting Robots as a side series.

You can find every King of Bots episode here: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/7qnj4v/king_of_bots_season_1_viewers_guide/

You can find every episode of This Is Fighting Robots on Youku, but I think it's been part of the archives for so long that now it's behind the VIP paywall.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

First episode was great. Like all the fights where at worst entertaining. But the Aussie Kiwi match was the best.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I appreciate how literal Death Rolls name is.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

After their super arrogant, "It's not my problem that we couldn't get our tooth out of your armor," I cant wait to see Quantum get absolutely obliterated by some spinner in future episodes. Please let Tombstone blow up that stupid computer-designed arm, it's all I ask.

Evil British heels of the season.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fish Of Doom posted:

After their super arrogant, "It's not my problem that we couldn't get our tooth out of your armor," I cant wait to see Quantum get absolutely obliterated by some spinner in future episodes. Please let Tombstone blow up that stupid computer-designed arm, it's all I ask.

Evil British heels of the season.

They were super obnoxious but they weren't wrong, they put in an effort to get unhooked and just couldn't. That hold rule's kind of dumb because of that sort of thing

Lol at the guy with the crowbar also failing to separate them

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Their comments on reddit added a bit of nuance to that comment. They tested on a lot of materials, applied lube to the teeth and tries what they can to shake the other bot free. So if extreme arnor makes them get stuck, that's kinda on the team that chose extreme armor.

One of multiple quotes:

quote:

I haven’t seen the episode yet but I hope you guys enjoyed the first appearance of Quantum. I haven’t seen the edit but it was a real shame the robots were stuck together. It’s not designed to do that, it was just a matter of materials. We have tested against AR400 and all sorts and with a bit of bashing the materials never get stuck on. Unfortunately, and there is no way anyone could have predicted it as no crusher has ever bitten through AR500, it seems AR500 in particular cracks on puncture which created lots of barbs that gripped hold of the tooth. We tried a hydraulic press to remove the tooth but it wasn’t enough to overcome the barbs. The tooth had to be cut out of their armour in the end.Blacksmith just added the best material they thought would work. We had no idea if we could puncture it so chose the single tooth setup for the biggest load. Once we bit them and raised the jaw there was absolutely no movement on the tooth. We tried a few things and consciously didn’t bite down any harder because we just wanted to release them. It was an unprecedented situation and that’s why I said after the fight that if people armour with that material and we go through it we will always get stuck. We polish the teeth and add grease but even with tapered teeth (which we couldn’t make on site) I don’t think it would have made a difference in that situation. We would much prefer to release the opponent as that would help our tactics of get a bite then work out how to reposition the teeth to get an important bite.

Hats off to Blacksmith though. It’s a really strong and unique machine and the guys were very fair. It would be sorely missed from Battlebots if they ever stopped. A real pleasure to be fighting with them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah that was an entirely unknown problem before that fight. Nobody had ever punctured ar500 like that before.

https://i.redd.it/g0dg2suro8331.jpg

You can see the scratches from the barbs created by the puncture. The had to cut the tooth out, even a 20 ton hydraulic press couldn't separate them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I can't help but think Blacksmith's problems stem less from getting stuck on a spike and more from the fact that it's a terrible design that will only win through misfortune on an opponent's part.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Madurai posted:

I can't help but think Blacksmith's problems stem less from getting stuck on a spike and more from the fact that it's a terrible design that will only win through misfortune on an opponent's part.

Hammers seem like very lovely weapons for mechanoman fights

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They fall under a good spot on the fun vs function matrix.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Am I misreading how Amazon does pricing, or is the entirety of Season 4 only $1.99?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Blacksmith is absolutely a jobber bot that usually puts on a good match but always loses and makes the other bot look good.

Mumbling posted:

Am I misreading how Amazon does pricing, or is the entirety of Season 4 only $1.99?

I'm also hoping that's the case and not just the price of the first episode. I paid it, we'll see if episode 2 pops up in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mumbling posted:

Looks like a pricing mistake, because that's cheaper than buying episode 1 and when you purchase it, it indeed says it's for the whole season in the confirmation.