Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I went out and to get drunk and came back home like 10 hours later and the same two guys are still calling the Norwalk live stream and they look like they're about to lose their minds

when the final 3 pounder match got a bracket reset you could see the life leave their bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They definitely knew what they were getting into at least. Those 2 have done quite a few of the NHRL events together. Although not sure why they wouldn't give them some sort of break during the event and let some of the builders announce a couple fights...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

anyone else have problems with the stream blinking in and out every second or so?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

There used to be east coast hw tournaments in the past (even shw) when the sport was at its peak popularity in the early 00's. Now that there aren't it is difficult for eastern teams to log combat hours and optimize heavy bots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well they put up 1 new Bounty Hunter tournament with Tombstone... Still 3 more somewhere down the line...

:tinfoil:

"Ray heard you by the way... he's laughing..."

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 11, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well they put up 1 new Bounty Hunter tournament with Tombstone... Still 3 more somewhere down the line...

:tinfoil:

"Ray heard you by the way... he's laughing..."

A completely unique knockout in that first match! Never seen that before

Mammoth was working better than I've ever seen. Until it wasn't.

Finale: Well Gruff can't really complain about this one

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 11, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

A completely unique knockout in that first match! Never seen that before

Yea, definitely strange getting KOed because you landed on top of the hammer and apparently they don't have the power to go back up... Or it's like they said and the teams can hold the hammer down... but that seems odder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, definitely strange getting KOed because you landed on top of the hammer and apparently they don't have the power to go back up... Or it's like they said and the teams can hold the hammer down... but that seems odder.

I think it was just a really heads-up play by the person operating the hammer to keep it in the down position to keep the opponent high-centered on it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Uppercut is way more durable than I thought it is

Hydra seems like a bit of a glass canon

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Uppercut is way more durable than I thought it is

Hydra seems like a bit of a glass canon

I’m pretty sure if that had went any longer, hydra was going to have to tap out. It was not looking very mobile at the end, and the driver was frustrated by it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Uppercut might have won that if it didn't have those forks on the front. They got stuck a lot, which probably prevented them from getting to Hydra's side as often as they have.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're gonna play that clip of Sawblaze exploding before every Sawblaze fight for years

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

throw in the drat towel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rusty still miraculously operational

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

giving Rusty both Beta and Sawblaze was mean and uncalled for

couldnt give Rusty fights vs Aegis or Axe Backwards or something?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

giving Rusty both Beta and Sawblaze was mean and uncalled for

couldnt give Rusty fights vs Aegis or Axe Backwards or something?

I suspect Rustys driver asked for those fights so he could be on TV more.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The design on Rusty wasn't great, but it was a sturdy, well built bot. Imagine what the builder could do with a team/money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why is Gamma 9 so big?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Why is Gamma 9 so big?

I think it was a combo of Gamma 9 being big and Tantrum being a little undersized. But yeah, the design seems a bit inefficient.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

Why is Gamma 9 so big?

thats what I was wondering. It looks way bigger than anything except Chomp

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So much bot to support that lovely little flipper

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

I think it was a combo of Gamma 9 being big and Tantrum being a little undersized. But yeah, the design seems a bit inefficient.

Tantrum is tiny. Its probably one of the smallest bots in the field besides the Gemini twins.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they picked this fight for a commercial break teaser when it was really obvious what was about to happen.

Seems like every year a vertical spinner team puts it all together and makes a deep playoff run out of nowhere, and I'm starting to wonder if this is End Game's year.

Edit: Oh they lost one? I don't remember that at all

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Welp, I thought Endgame was making a mistake going for the wedglets, but shows what I know.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

lmao Hypershock

regretting that self-righter right now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda sick of these bots that are just like "what if a battlebot but shaped wrong?" I blame Huge.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

P1 getting Smee up in its wedge and carrying it was :krad:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I said the first incarnation of Axe Backwards was the least effective robot I've ever seen but I think Grabot has it beat. I can't imagine this robot getting a win outside of one of those matches where a robot just stops moving all of a sudden.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

I said the first incarnation of Axe Backwards was the least effective robot I've ever seen but I think Grabot has it beat. I can't imagine this robot getting a win outside of one of those matches where a robot just stops moving all of a sudden.

In theory you could try to use Grabot as a pusher bot. It wouldn't be good at it, but at least it has that possibility, which Axe Backwards didn't have at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

In theory you could try to use Grabot as a pusher bot. It wouldn't be good at it, but at least it has that possibility, which Axe Backwards didn't have at all.

True it does have a wedge

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ooh, Whiplash is going full lifter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving driving clinic there, goddamn

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah, Whiplash did a fantastic job driving there. Incredibly impressive.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are there only 3 undefeated bots? Uppercut at 4 huh?

Heh, Tombstone at 21

There are some straight-up winless bots in here aren't there? I wonder how much of this is just whoever has enough spare parts to keep going.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 12, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Huge and Hydra in the same quadrant

Lmao

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lol, Hypershock got in. Gonna get bodied by Hydra.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mammoth vs Copperhead is gonna be weird.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

After looking at the bracket some more, P1 got screwed and the producers definitely made some question able seeding decisions

3-0 Mad Catter at 12 is lol

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 12, 2021

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Every lifter-bot match is like "ehh maybe they might overturn their opponent or break their weapon somehow? I guess?" Gruff is an okay one but it's main selling point is it's built pretty solid.. except for the forks which are its weapon.

Then there's a Whiplash match where the main weapon IS the lifter (the little disc rarely gets used) and they just constantly body bots with way, way more weapon energy than them. What a solid bot and drat that kid is an exceptional driver. Just with great driving and that odd little lifter they were able to beat minotaur, bronco and totally shitcan SOW.

Hydra getting #1 with that dumb bicycle rack "weapon" is real stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

After looking at the bracket some more, P1 got screwed and the producers definitely made some question able seeding decisions

3-0 Mad Catter at 12 is lol

And their "underdog" matchup is Tombstone. Somebody in the selection committee hates them.