Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Pretty unhype finals for me. I've been rooting for something other than a vertical spinner to make it to the finals or even top 4 and for the 3rd season, the bracket became a vertfest even without Bite Force. It's done. Battlebots is gonna die unless something can happen to spice up the metagame imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So what're people watching while Battlebots is off-season?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Bodyholes posted:

Pretty unhype finals for me. I've been rooting for something other than a vertical spinner to make it to the finals or even top 4 and for the 3rd season, the bracket became a vertfest even without Bite Force. It's done. Battlebots is gonna die unless something can happen to spice up the metagame imo.

That seems wildly hyperbolic. It seems widely agreed that End Game got lucky with the way the other matches played out, and even if vertical spinners are top dog, they're entertaining to watch and when they're built like End Game you get knock-outs and bots being thrown out of the arena more often than not, which I'm sure is pretty unashamedly the goal of the whole sport.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I'm the biggest proponent of rules changes to make certain types of bot viable (EG: Weight bonus for hammer bots that must be spent on weapon) but if you thought that finale wasn't a banger you weren't watching properly. Black Dragon spent two entire minutes on fire. Hydra got knocked the gently caress out. Endgame took Whiplash to pieces.

I get the impulse to be like, "God it's another spinner winning again", but when you've watched a bunch of other robot fighting shows (Robot Wars, King of Bots, or god forbid, Russian youtube videos of tournaments) you know how tragically dull robot fighting is when robots can't damage each other and everything is decided by shoving matches. At least spinners bring a reliable weapon to the table that can knock another robot out by damage alone - that's always worth watching. I'd also say Endgame's victory was far from certain. Almost everyone reckoned Hydra had it sewn up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of interesting. For so long everyone is bringing bots able to deal with Tombstone. But it seems very few are bringing bots able to deal with the vertical spinners which have just dominated the fights all the way through. Like at some point people gotta start bringing bots that can beat the Biteforce & End Game style bots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

How do you beat them is the question. If you bring long forks to get under them you risk them being bent or torn off in a bad collision. If you bring a wide wedge you're at a disadvantage against their forks because the floor will never be perfectly flat. No wedge at all loses to their wedge or forks. If you don't want to play the ground game you end up with stuff like huge or yeti.

They're very difficult designs to attack which is why they're so successful.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I think that's why we're seeing more forks/wedgelets with the idea being if you can't outwedge them, at least you could keep the spinner from engaging the main body. And to be fair, End Game wasn't even reliable until this season. Very few could have predicted it would win the championship.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Seems like the difference between top 8 and top 4 was the fork game. SawBlaze and Hydra have low fronts but they're one size fits most. Endgame, Whiplash, and Tantrum had more unique fork configurations against each individual opponent--to try to anticipate and counter their own forks. Hammersaws and Flippers can do well, clearly. There just aren't as many as the vertical spinners, and the two that got furthest lost out on the fork counter.

For horizontal spinners, we had more of them than verts in top 16 and then none in top 8. In 3 fights the horizontal spinner and vertical spinner lost weapon power, but the vert was still a good wedge so it won. That will be the story again and again for bots like Tombstone, Valkyrie that really are sunk without their weapon. I think RotatoR and Bloodsport have a chance to be top contenders but their forks were just awful this year. They need to put a lot of effort into bringing them up to the level of the verts they're up against, but I liked the speed and versatility of those two.

Hammers, it's the same thing... Shatter's forks were sad. Beta made some galaxy brained decisions.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Seriously, it looked like endgame might lose to tantrum until the reliability issue kicked in and they got demoralized and damaged.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm the biggest proponent of rules changes to make certain types of bot viable (EG: Weight bonus for hammer bots that must be spent on weapon) but if you thought that finale wasn't a banger you weren't watching properly. Black Dragon spent two entire minutes on fire. Hydra got knocked the gently caress out. Endgame took Whiplash to pieces.

I get the impulse to be like, "God it's another spinner winning again", but when you've watched a bunch of other robot fighting shows (Robot Wars, King of Bots, or god forbid, Russian youtube videos of tournaments) you know how tragically dull robot fighting is when robots can't damage each other and everything is decided by shoving matches. At least spinners bring a reliable weapon to the table that can knock another robot out by damage alone - that's always worth watching. I'd also say Endgame's victory was far from certain. Almost everyone reckoned Hydra had it sewn up.

Yeah the static rammer/pushbot meta is horrifically boring and it's gonna take way more than 3 seasons of the reboot for me to somehow think a vert spinner meta is worse.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bodyholes posted:

Seems like the difference between top 8 and top 4 was the fork game. SawBlaze and Hydra have low fronts but they're one size fits most. Endgame, Whiplash, and Tantrum had more unique fork configurations against each individual opponent--to try to anticipate and counter their own forks. Hammersaws and Flippers can do well, clearly. There just aren't as many as the vertical spinners, and the two that got furthest lost out on the fork counter.

For horizontal spinners, we had more of them than verts in top 16 and then none in top 8. In 3 fights the horizontal spinner and vertical spinner lost weapon power, but the vert was still a good wedge so it won. That will be the story again and again for bots like Tombstone, Valkyrie that really are sunk without their weapon. I think RotatoR and Bloodsport have a chance to be top contenders but their forks were just awful this year. They need to put a lot of effort into bringing them up to the level of the verts they're up against, but I liked the speed and versatility of those two.

Hammers, it's the same thing... Shatter's forks were sad. Beta made some galaxy brained decisions.

I felt like Sawblaze's middle fork was constantly getting in the way. I think they beat Witch Doctor way more reliably, and probably have a much better shot against Tantrum if they just go in with a two outside fork configuration. Middle fork was getting hit by the disc and making it difficult for SB to actually get underneath, while the middle fork was just straight up losing to Tantrum's wedge the whole time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I find myself wondering if anyone's done a milling-head bot. Like a vertical spinner, but with the spin axis running longitudinally, front-to back.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Madurai posted:

I find myself wondering if anyone's done a milling-head bot. Like a vertical spinner, but with the spin axis running longitudinally, front-to back.

Warhead's spinner was on a diagonal axis, I guess. Don't know if there's one that's straight on the way you're describing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Axe Backwards? I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Most people usually propose it as a 'drill' of some sort, but a face-on vertical spinner seems to be roughly similar. The issue usually brought up is that it's very difficult to get a solid hit without some decent forward movement as well, you'd probably just get a ton of defelctions. If you made it into a full-sized disk with teeth you might be able to get some big hits from interesting angles though. The problem is that as you make it bigger into an entire spinning disk you also start getting the issue of an unbalanced sideways gyroscopic force.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I bet if you stuck it on the end of a stick and spun around like a thwack bot you could make it work.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah the static rammer/pushbot meta is horrifically boring and it's gonna take way more than 3 seasons of the reboot for me to somehow think a vert spinner meta is worse.

From where I'm sitting it's the same meta. The best wedges are winning. They have to have little spinning things on top of them to enter Battlebots, but so what? Vertical spinners are just the most synergistic type of weapon to run with a wedge. Hammersaws and Flippers *can* work but these weapons are more complex and fragile, and these bots really can't have anything go wrong in their fights.

If something like HUGE or Uppercut won then yeah, that would be hype. But those are not the types of verts that are winning.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Icewave bounty thoughts

P1 really should have let Tracer stay stuck on the wall, but got bailed out

Deadlift with the inexplicable self-destruct

Not showing Hypershock v Sporkinok is entirely on brand

Black Widow is a design

Chuck Pitzer sounds half dead and should retire Ghost Raptor

oh man Skorpios, that was a lucky non-countdown. 5 seconds earlier and P1 would have stole that

Hypershock v Skorpios was the chalk pick, but a wet fart of a fight

Pulvarizers actually did a crapload of damage for once, RIP Icewave

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bodyholes posted:

From where I'm sitting it's the same meta. The best wedges are winning. They have to have little spinning things on top of them to enter Battlebots, but so what? Vertical spinners are just the most synergistic type of weapon to run with a wedge. Hammersaws and Flippers *can* work but these weapons are more complex and fragile, and these bots really can't have anything go wrong in their fights.

If something like HUGE or Uppercut won then yeah, that would be hype. But those are not the types of verts that are winning.

It's not the same meta because in one instance, actual damage is being done. It's more interesting to watch something get thrown or hurt than it is for rammers to sort of mush eachother into walls. Weight, repair, and reliability also have to be accounted for with regards to the weapon system.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

It's not the same meta because in one instance, actual damage is being done. It's more interesting to watch something get thrown or hurt than it is for rammers to sort of mush eachother into walls. Weight, repair, and reliability also have to be accounted for with regards to the weapon system.

I'm not saying I long for the days when gray boxes with wheels clumsily shoved each other around in the majority of fights. But the best fights have usually come from dynamic weapon matchups. Horizontal vs vertical spinner. Spinner vs flipper. Flipper vs hammer, and so on. There were many good fights this season because the vert meta only mattered for the top 16 and up. The round robin and the early brackets had enough variety to make an interesting season. But there was a time when you could see dynamic matchups in the finals. Even when wedges were dominant, other types of robots still made it to the finals frequently enough to keep it spicy. Now that never happens, and I think it could get worse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wouldn't call Whiplash much the same as Endgame. Its weapon isn't nearly as powerful and it's got that arm. If its had gotten the right timing and angle, it might've been able to flip Endgame and go to town on the undercarriage. Heck, I half-expected it to try climbing back into the arena after it got knocked out. Sawblaze did it while fighting Uppercut.

And then if you look at the top 8, Ribbot was running a horizontal spinner earlier and probably shouldn't have gone vertical, Black Dragon's weapon barely was a factor, Sawblaze was a much more powerful and faster inversion of Whiplash, Shatter was a hammerbot with a unique driving system, Hydra's a pure flipper, and Tantrum is a unique super fast and small robot. There were 3 Biteforce-lookalikes going into the round of 32 and even more in the preliminaries, but Endgame is the only one that made it past the first match.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ror posted:

Most people usually propose it as a 'drill' of some sort, but a face-on vertical spinner seems to be roughly similar. The issue usually brought up is that it's very difficult to get a solid hit without some decent forward movement as well, you'd probably just get a ton of defelctions. If you made it into a full-sized disk with teeth you might be able to get some big hits from interesting angles though. The problem is that as you make it bigger into an entire spinning disk you also start getting the issue of an unbalanced sideways gyroscopic force.

Hmmmm, maybe a horizontal spinner where the weapon's angle can be tilted all the way forwards so that it's spinning upright? Similar to how Whiplash has its vert spinner mounted on an arm so it can turn around and do overhead shots

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

The sport evolved that there's only so many weapons that teams could reliably build as well. And all the vert spinners aren't really the same type of bot. Minotaur isn't the same as Bite Force. End Game isn't the same as Whiplash. It's like saying Tombstone and Gigabyte are similar because they are horizontal spinners.

Ror posted:

Are you thinking of something like this?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That'd hurl both robots sideways, which isn't that desirable. A nice thing about a vertical spinner is that it chucks the target upwards while driving you into the floor, which is a much more survivable impact than say, Tombstone hurling itself into an arena wall.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think of Whiplash as more of a lifter than a spinner.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

halokiller posted:

The sport evolved that there's only so many weapons that teams could reliably build as well. And all the vert spinners aren't really the same type of bot. Minotaur isn't the same as Bite Force. End Game isn't the same as Whiplash. It's like saying Tombstone and Gigabyte are similar because they are horizontal spinners.

Are you thinking of something like this?

Like that, yeah. Probably it would need the spinner to be well off-center, so you get a longer "outrigger" on the downward-force side.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Someone needs to make a heavyweight version of this bot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9mf2d0gKQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

Someone needs to make a heavyweight version of this bot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9mf2d0gKQ

My pitch for another Battlebots spinoff would be a set of flyweight qualifying competitions across the country that fed into a main event in Vegas or something like that.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then if you look at the top 8, Ribbot was running a horizontal spinner earlier and probably shouldn't have gone vertical

Apparently Ribbot's horizontal spinner got so totally hosed up by Uppercut, they had no choice but to use the vertical setup against BD.

halokiller posted:

But End Game and Bite Force are essentially identical. End Game is the Player 2 coloration of Bite Force.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

But End Game and Bite Force are essentially identical. End Game is the Player 2 coloration of Bite Force.

In theory, but I've been re-watching Season 3, and Bite Force's weapon does not stop after hits. Its crazy spin-up speed is an underrated part of its success, I think. Most spinners have to back off after a big hit so they can spin up again, but Bite Force can just keep going. Most of its fights don't last a minute because it can deliver 3 big hits in like 5 seconds flat.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

If Team Whyachi were actually lame they could've just built Bite Force. Instead they enter fun things like a flipper and mobile barbecue, and they just play up being asshats for TV. It's pretty obvious watching the meta from the past few seasons that the closer the robot is to Bite Force the more winninger it is. That is the optimal strategy. Battlebots has been solved.

People are in denial about it but if enough legacy teams give up switch to wedge verts, Battlebots WILL be in trouble.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Though part of it is that the producers get to choose who can actually compete and intentionally encourage strange bots and reject things that are just boring clones.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also it's not like flipper bots can't beat Vertical spinners. Hydra was scary close to beating the entire field. It took Whiplash to beat them, and Whiplash is at best a vert spinner/lifter hybrid.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bodyholes posted:

People are in denial about it but if enough legacy teams give up switch to wedge verts, Battlebots WILL be in trouble.

That's essentially what Lockjaw is. It's probably the least interesting thing Donald Hutson's ever built, but he tried to do the Diesector jaw design for it in the first few seasons of the reboot before being like, "gently caress it, might as well join them".

I think Ray Billings has also said that he's going to give Tombstone to his son to drive and probably build a vertical spinner, so that's a bummer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tombstone bounty thoughts

I think flamethrowers did somehting for once; lol at KO by being ontop of a pulvarizer

Smeeee v Mammoth was one hell of a gimmick fight. Still not sure how Mammoth flipped itself

There might be something to Deadlift after all.That fire was effective

Claw Viper really needs to stop whiffing on box rushes

Deadlift bossed Gruff until their weapon got stuck. Deadlift really needs to fix their bugs and they can go places

Kraken spinning Smeee around ruled. Seemed like a bad matchup for Kraken at first given a lake of bite space

Gruff was a lot more dialed in for the bounty hunt compared to the end of the regular fights. Wonder what happened there?

Tombstone still the King

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

The Glumslinger posted:

Though part of it is that the producers get to choose who can actually compete and intentionally encourage strange bots and reject things that are just boring clones.

That's just it. If all the bots were identical that would suck, but given the contest is very specifically designed to prevent that, it's not nearly as dire as some of you are imagining.

It also comes down to the simple fact that successive seasons will trend more towards refinement. Internally End Game is fundamentally different to the old Biteforce, even if they appear similar at a glance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Biteforce looks a lot cooler, for one

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

That's essentially what Lockjaw is. It's probably the least interesting thing Donald Hutson's ever built, but he tried to do the Diesector jaw design for it in the first few seasons of the reboot before being like, "gently caress it, might as well join them".

I think Ray Billings has also said that he's going to give Tombstone to his son to drive and probably build a vertical spinner, so that's a bummer.

Even though he could change it back to the spring flipper under the new rules--which was super cool imo, I think he realized that even as a fairly middling vert whose weapon only lasts 1.5 minutes it's still probably better.

We're seeing it from the Whyachi team even though I joke about it. Fusion feels like a tacit admission, from a team that used to only ever build horizontal spinners, that the best thing they think horizontal spinners can do is to just become vertical spinners. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New Tale of the Tape ep, there's a big interview with Greg Munson from 17:18 about the possible rules changes and arena changes they might introduce in future in response to things like Hydra's cow catcher, teams choosing not to use their primary weapon and just wedgebot a fight, etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvPZBjhlNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I always assumed Fusion was basically the Wyachi team House Bot for testing Hydra against different poo poo