Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zedd posted:

SoW bounty was amazing, and I'm now sold on the Jake (Right? Hydra guy) being p decent all along.

Yea, it kind of seems he is a nice villain, but he's still the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Zedd posted:

SoW bounty was amazing, and I'm now sold on the Jake (Right? Hydra guy) being p decent all along.

There was a definite marketing effort in that episode to make him look like less of an rear end in a top hat. Check out the big goofy smiles picture of him on the screen where they were comparing the specs of SOW and Gigabyte.

Seems to be working though

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Paul/Bite Force has always been the villain. This past season was just a side arc.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bodyholes posted:

Paul/Bite Force has always been the villain. This past season was just a side arc.

Next season, he will wipe the orange makeup off of End Game and reveal that he was was secretly pretending to be a group of guys from New Zealand in an "It was me all along Austin!" moment as he raises the 4th giant nut and his wife gently kisses him on the cheek.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I seldom really think that Huge has conclusively won a match, but I also always wanna see more Huge fights.

This has probably been the best Sub Zero's ever done, which kinda seems fitting for a battlebot from Texas this year. Malice really needs to fix that butt, but if it wants to keep thematic, it should just ignore the obvious flaw that happened twice for the sake of maintaining independence from the federal government and accountability is a joke.

It's really amazing how much people took to Rusty. A robot having a face does wonders. It is also surprisingly powerful and durable. I think without Rusty around, Jackpot would've been the team they'd build a big underdog narrative around, but it just doesn't have the spark.

I have a problem where sometimes I keep forgetting the names of robots and I end up calling Gigabyte Bit Torrent and calling Whiplash Switchblade.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have a problem where sometimes I keep forgetting the names of robots and I end up calling Gigabyte Bit Torrent and calling Whiplash Switchblade.

I've learned that a lot of the teams have smaller versions of these robots for the lower weight classes, so maybe you're right!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I end up calling Gigabyte Bit Torrent

For that name alone, I'd sign off on one of those dumb sideshow minibots they have.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I love it when you have a bot like SubZero that never seems to work quite right but they keep bringing it back and then they have a fight where you're sure it's going to be a one sided match against them but suddenly everything comes together for them and they perform how the driver always hopes they would and win the match. It's just an amazing thing to see.
Rusty looks like a trash pile a 10 year old would make and call a robot, yet it somehow functions. Like a prop from a lovely movie. That and Dave having such an amazing personality is a sure way to win over fans. It doesn't hurt that Rusty seems to take a beating and you can allow yourself to hope that just maybe it could win a fight against a bot like Copperhead if only it got that perfect strike.
Before the season started I thought Malice looked like a good bot but I think the design just goes the wrong way in too many respects. I hope they can make it work so we can have something at least a little different.
I'm still happy to see a bot like Kraken get such a good season.
Also blown away at how far Tantrum was able to go. They really worked out a lot of kinks from last season and from the sounds of things they know what went wrong and where to focus their efforts for next season. Pretty cool for a bot that was almost a joke and had their fist shot off and embedded in the arena wall.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TomR posted:

Also blown away at how far Tantrum was able to go. They really worked out a lot of kinks from last season and from the sounds of things they know what went wrong and where to focus their efforts for next season. Pretty cool for a bot that was almost a joke and had their fist shot off and embedded in the arena wall.

Poor team Tantrum had the worst luck in their debut season back in 2018. Their first fight was against Battle Royale With Cheese which was real boring because BRWC was barely working properly. Their second match was against Mecha Rampage and the very first hit in the fight broke some of their internal mechanisms and highcentred them so that their wheels didn't touch the ground and they got counted out without having done anything. Their third and final fight was their infamous exhibition match against Tombstone and we all know how that ended. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TomR posted:

Before the season started I thought Malice looked like a good bot but I think the design just goes the wrong way in too many respects. I hope they can make it work so we can have something at least a little different.

malice is the most expensive bot, coming in just under $100,000. Partially due to a rush order on their single-billet chassis which was 40k on its own

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

A 100k bot who lost because this happened:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

malice is the most expensive bot, coming in just under $100,000. Partially due to a rush order on their single-billet chassis which was 40k on its own

:eyepop:

Honestly, shocked Chomp isn't the most expensive bot.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Tunicate posted:

At that price it sounds like it'd be cheaper to buy a mill and make it yourself.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

:eyepop:

Honestly, shocked Chomp isn't the most expensive bot.

I'm guessing the chomp team has a lot more equipment to make their own stuff than most.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

rarbatrol posted:

I'm guessing the chomp team has a lot more equipment to make their own stuff than most.

I think you're right. IIRC, they were the team who machined the new weapon for Witch Doctor overnight.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Also we don't know how much Chomp cost AFAIK. Someone from the Bloodsports team asked a few of the bot builders and put the results in this video. Its long and a bit dull but does cover a lot of the costs etc. A little spoiler, Jackpot wasn't the cheapest bot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cbAVHbtUO4

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tunicate posted:

Whoa, nifty. Are the costs of all the bots listed anywhere? I saw that Bloodsport was trying to sell their bot for 40k...

E: ah, oops!

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 24, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Interesting, at least Malice got two chasses for that $42,000!

Might go buy a Malice hat since they paid all $94,000 of costs out of pocket.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's dedication. All of the teams seem to work so hard and pour so much into it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

rarbatrol posted:

They also probably got a majority of their parts basically free through their sponsors and companies that want to see their poo poo in action...

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The Madcatter guys said they saved a ton of money by machining their own parts, I'm guessing they used the shop at the community college that the captain teaches at.

The Chomp team has shown videos where they clearly have a huge machine shop at their disposal including a cnc machine and a waterjet. Same with the Whyachi guys.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Jackpot posted their budget on reddit. $7096 for bot+spares.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those interested. Here is the NHRL interview they did with Ray Billings during their event last weekend. Of note for most, he said his Bounty Hunter episode is going to air on Discovery on April 1st. (I didn't fact check that though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnB-D7m-h-E

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

For those interested. Here is the NHRL interview they did with Ray Billings during their event last weekend. Of note for most, he said his Bounty Hunter episode is going to air on Discovery on April 1st. (I didn't fact check that though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnB-D7m-h-E

It's true, it's on the schedule.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just getting around to the bounty episodes. I would have loved to see Chomp go against Bronco. Alas...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Watched a bunch of CC era fights on youtube

Woof

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I managed to find a torrent with all but three of the episodes in it and I've been slowly working my way through watching them. I don't know how it managed five seasons, most of the fights were boring. Even the ones where actual damaged happened didn't have much action.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Woof
The thing I like most about the CC era was that they could fit three fights in a half-hour

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Woof
It's rough. The fights were slow, clumsy, and without much damage.

The segments about the builders and stuff were pretty cringe too. I remember one segment that was supposed to be about how popular and sexy BattleBots builders were where they put one of the builders and a stripper in a hot tub together.

I'm glad that the current iteration of BB is radically different on all fronts.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Old Battlebots was an open invitation and to think those were matches that CC deemed were entertaining enough to be on TV. I can't imagine the stinkers in the preliminary rounds since according to Jim's site, only about 10-20% of the matches were televised.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I saw a top 10 best of robotwars compilation and none of the matches were any good

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I managed to find a torrent with all but three of the episodes in it and I've been slowly working my way through watching them. I don't know how it managed five seasons, most of the fights were boring. Even the ones where actual damaged happened didn't have much action.

Seems like a pretty rare complaint... They've run good ratings for Battlebots and pretty much has been all around positive week after week. Might be difficult to get through if you tried to watch all 14 episodes in a week though... :smug:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I saw a top 10 best of robotwars compilation and none of the matches were any good

You're a monster if you didn't enjoy Wheely Big Cheese vs Axe Awe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a charm to how both so many of the robot builders were weird amateurs who didn't know anything about any meta and how the network didn't really know what to do with the whole thing, who to market it towards, how to commentate on the whole thing, or how to really organize the competition.

When I was in high school, I had an industrial technology class where he would show us Battlebots and this othershow that I thought was called Robot Wars, but now I'm not sure. It was some kind of violent title, but it turned out that the robots usually didn't fight much and had to compete on physical events like a reverse-hurdles event where the robots lift things up while on the move, and maybe there'd be a fight at the end, but it was worth at best a third of the score.

It was probably more educational and relevant to real challenges of robotics, but it was really boring compared to the dumber craziness of Battlebots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I was in high school, I had an industrial technology class where he would show us Battlebots and this othershow that I thought was called Robot Wars, but now I'm not sure. It was some kind of violent title, but it turned out that the robots usually didn't fight much and had to compete on physical events like a reverse-hurdles event where the robots lift things up while on the move, and maybe there'd be a fight at the end, but it was worth at best a third of the score.

It was probably more educational and relevant to real challenges of robotics, but it was really boring compared to the dumber craziness of Battlebots.

Sounds like Robotica. I think it's deal was to be a midway between things like FIRST and Battlebots but it didn't do either well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The one thing I miss from CC era Battlebots are the massive rumbles

Please bring those back

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems like a pretty rare complaint... They've run good ratings for Battlebots and pretty much has been all around positive week after week. Might be difficult to get through if you tried to watch all 14 episodes in a week though... :smug:

You know I'm talking original CC Battlebots right? I mean, I'm still watching it because I enjoy it overall but there's a ridiculous amount of fights that are just a box pushing about another box for three minutes. Like someone said earlier, how bad were the fights that weren't televised?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

You know I'm talking original CC Battlebots right? I mean, I'm still watching it because I enjoy it overall but there's a ridiculous amount of fights that are just a box pushing about another box for three minutes. Like someone said earlier, how bad were the fights that weren't televised?

Oh, wasn't as clear as it could have been since we are 5 seasons into the current run... :D

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I don't really do words good. If it makes sense in my head then every one should be able to get what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
The CC seasons were bad, like REALLY bad. But has been said, that's because they didn't know what they were doing or who they were broadcasting to. As a learning experience though, it's pretty great. It got us many more seasons of really good Battlebots poo poo, with minimal fluff (sans slo-mo black and white Billings cackles).

Biteforce alikes be damned, I'm just happy it's on the air in a really watchable entertaining format. It'd be nice if the fee for entrance wasn't "shitloads of disposable income and time" because then we'd get many more entrants, but it's not a "real" sport.