Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

for the love of god no pit please. argh that poo poo is the worst thing in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i never ever want to see hypno-disc vs bigger brother again. thankfully the BB guys seem staunchly against it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm telling you, ramp that leads out of bounds

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I'm telling you, ramp that leads out of bounds

A circular moat at the bottom with a spiral ramp back up, so you can knock bots down but if they survive they can come back for round two... assuming you don't decide to jump off the edge after your opponent and crush them beneath your wheels like a goomba.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I don't personally understand the desire for any rules changes that result in less destroyed bots, including bringing more grapplers etc in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't know if I'm making it up but I think the pit in BuggleBots is on a timer, it isn't active for the first minute, seems like the best way to have it. If a fight isn't over after the first minute, open up some more options to end it.

I feel that the pit in Robot Wars was a good compromise where it only opened up if a competitor hit a release switch on the wall of the box, and there was a 50/50 chance it would release a housebot instead which would come gently caress you up. In some fights it was a good strategic ploy, in some fights the competitors opened it accidentally and suddenly had to contend with a big hazard that affected them as much as their opponent, and in a lot of fights it wasn't a factor at all.
https://robotwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Pit

I was never a big fan of their "fog of war" smoke machine gimmick, that was just annoying.

ETA: if you do a youtube search for 'battlebots 2021 application video' there's a bunch of videos for prospective entrants that have been uploaded in the past few weeks. A lot of them are shot like wrestling promo vidoes, they're hilarious. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MnRkw7v7Q

Also Copperhead is apparently going to have an optional lifter/flipper weapon next season check the date it was posted ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33W87lnBh4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 14, 2021

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

Borsche69 posted:

for the love of god no pit please. argh that poo poo is the worst thing in the world

Yeah really. I'll take the chances of an occasional shoving match over almost every fight ending due to a part of the stage becoming lava and now every fight is ended by someone getting pushed into or accidentally falling into the hole instantly ending the fight.

A casual search of Robot Wars wiki shows around 50 matches have been decided with the Pit with captions like this

quote:

Mistakenly drove towards the pit and swerved itself in.
Drove into the pit immediately after Bamm Bamm fell off its lifter.
Drove itself into the pit despite causing considerable damage to The Falcon Mark 2.
Drove into the pit despite dominating this battle against Unibite 2.0.
Drove over the pit as it was descending, eliminating it.
A mistimed charge at Spawn Again left Spam careening straight into the pit. Second time in the heat that Spam fell into the pit.
Backed into the pit despite appearing to lead this battle against former double UK champion Chaos 2.
After a strong start against Kat 3, reversed squarely onto the pit as it activated
Accidentally backed into the pit despite an aggressive start against the seeded MouseTrap.

Sounds Compelling!!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sending robots out of the arena needs to stay though. Watching robots get punted into the gap by the loading door is still hilarious to me.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Here's a match in reboot Robot Wars if you want to see hilarious pit shenanigans. Bot gets stuck in an unopened pit because it's too low to go over the lip, the house robot comes in an attempt to free it but makes the situation worse, and then somehow wins by KO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4FLESB_-U&t=420s

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That robot wars match is funny to laugh at and a good lesson in what not to do if you want a serious robot competition. Please no pits on Battlebots. Pits are for tiny robot matches. I'd like to see more powerful screws. Maybe have the hammers increase in power as the match goes on and let them do some serious damage by the last minute of a fight. I want to see excellent driving, exciting comebacks, and bots getting hosed right up. I don't want to see someone get stuck in a hole by accident.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Better arena hazards is a mix between giving power to control bots and getting random knockouts.

I think if the pulverizers were replaced with hammer saws, or hydraulic jaws, then we'd really have something. Weapons that can land a damaging blow but not be instant kills.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe if the hammers actually swung with some speed they'd be better. Half they time they don't even seem to work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The hammers should be replaced those vaguely pyramidal weights falling from above. You know, the kind you use to turn Daffy Duck into an accordion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Copperhead is apparently going to have an optional lifter/flipper weapon next season check the date it was posted ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33W87lnBh4

The new meta.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Sending robots out of the arena needs to stay though. Watching robots get punted into the gap by the loading door is still hilarious to me.

From the interview one of the creators did a while back, it seems like they are going to make changes to heavily limit the out of bounds areas. The doors might be the only thing left. They just don't want a bot getting in between the wall and glass and be on fire... since they would have to replace that section of glass and stop the fights for a bit... :(

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So basically, gently caress lifters and and flippers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"gently caress flippers" seems to be the sentiment at production. They keep having to fight huge, a robot they can do nothing against.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Great Beer posted:

"gently caress flippers" seems to be the sentiment at production. They keep having to fight huge, a robot they can do nothing against.

Mammoth threw Huge out of the arena, I don't see why a robot like Hydra couldn't do something like that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Mammoth threw Huge out of the arena, I don't see why a robot like Hydra couldn't do something like that

The Hydra designer pinpointed the amount of time the flipper is connected to the other bot and delivering force to it as one of the most critical factors in getting a good launch in either a Tale of the Tape or one of the Battlebots interstitial interviews. I don't think you could launch Huge from the wheels because they just bend when you apply force, so Hydra would need to make a flipper extension that's perfectly sized for Huge's height. I think Huge's team carries several different wheel heights, so predicting the right one would be a crapshoot. This theoretical extension thing would be very vulnerable to Huge's weapon too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hydra team: You better fuckin' drop test your robots from 20 feet to see if they still work, because we're going to send you flying. We're the most powerful flipper you've ever seen.

Also Hydra team: Well uh of course we're going to abandon our central premise, getting leverage is hard.

I think you totally could launch Huge by the wheels because we've seen it happen a couple times before. Huge has this whole floppy, wobbly gait to it where it gets bounced around all the time. Bronco's match against Huge was pretty close and probably would've went Bronco's way if it didn't catch on fire.

It could be really cool if more robots go the Huge/Mammoth route, could be a really neat spectacle, but it also could mean that they'd all be under-armored and might not be able to put out enough power into a weapon with the reach that can hit their opponent,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Clearly What needs to be done with Huge is to do the reverse and push it down. ideally when it's weapon is spinning

Also, give the box a moat instead of a pit but either keep the walls or put in ramps to at least make it moderately difficult to push things into the moat.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I agree, but I don't think they want a smaller combat area or a bigger box. I reckon they're just going to put a cap on top of the gap that's already there.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Yay Rusty (for awhile anyway)!

Good for GiggaByte too. Looks like they missed taking a few shots from behind in their initial fights though too? Just a thought.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Otteration posted:

Yay Rusty (for awhile anyway)!

Good for GiggaByte too. Looks like they missed taking a few shots from behind in their initial fights though too? Just a thought.

What happened?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

What happened?

Rusty went more than 1 round. GigaByte too, and looks more durable than before. I won't spoil it yet, I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basement tape fights are up on Youtube. A whole lot of shoving lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all. The Norwalk Havok league is back at it again Tomorrow, May 15th at 9am for some more robot battles! Will be live here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5elaqlzA60k

Looks like they have ~77 or registered 3 pound bots for the event. 11 - 12 pounders & 8 - 30 pounds for the event! There will also be spectators this time around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Some interesting speculations coming from around the ~12 hour mark on the Norwalk stream... Speculating that most of the Battlebots teams won't be at the event in July due to getting ready for or filming Battlebots for 2021... Also seems that the teams behind the 12lb Caulk put in an application for a 250lb version of it... (Was in the last Norwalk event with 4 3lb bots in the 12lb class... including Smeeeee...)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Robert Cowan's had some Copperhead upgrade and maintenance videos on his channel recently and also this Copperhead greatest hits (2019-2020) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsp9Apc7g28

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Filming for season 6 confirmed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Norwalk Havoc league is running this weekend and will be live on YouTube. They have split the event this time up and will be around 8 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday.

A quick look through the brackets though, and looks like a majority of the Battlebot teams will not be there, probably as they are getting ready for Battlebots at the end of August.

Will be streaming here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtlIWhSw7yQ

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Was super tempted to go to the live show in Vegas in a month, but nearly forgot we're still in a middle of a pandemic. Oh well, definitely next season then (hopefully it's renewed).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

halokiller posted:

Was super tempted to go to the live show in Vegas in a month, but nearly forgot we're still in a middle of a pandemic. Oh well, definitely next season then (hopefully it's renewed).

Its consistently been the highest viewed program on discovery since they bought it so outlook is good for a renewal.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A two season renewal is it!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/battlebots-gets-two-season-pickup-at-discovery-channel-exclusive-1234992572/

I wanted to go to the Long Beach filming before it got COVID'd. Las Vegas is just a little further away I guess. Certainly not this year, but next year might be an option.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well there goes my excuse to not work on my season 7 application.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

oh jay posted:

A two season renewal is it!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/battlebots-gets-two-season-pickup-at-discovery-channel-exclusive-1234992572/

I wanted to go to the Long Beach filming before it got COVID'd. Las Vegas is just a little further away I guess. Certainly not this year, but next year might be an option.

:bisonyes:

I prefer Vegas over Long Beach because the Long Beach location doesn't have anything to do within walking distance.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

halokiller posted:

:bisonyes:

I prefer Vegas over Long Beach because the Long Beach location doesn't have anything to do within walking distance.

Good news then. The long beach warehouse was sold so they won't ever be able to go back there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty cool that Discovery has gone ahead and confirmed another season so early. Might make for an interesting season if builders & teams actually know for sure another filming date is actually approaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looks like it was a unique code. But for those who signed up for Discovery Plus for Battlebots and then cancelled like me. They sent me a promo to resign up and get 12 months for $29.99. Not sure if I will take the offer yet though...

Maybe don't do this as it's the version with ads and no way to upgrade or not have ads.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 27, 2021