Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wonder if this is finally the year that clamp bots are actually going to be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mumbling posted:

Have flamethrowers ever shown to be effective? I guess in theory they help overheat the opponent, but I rarely see their opponents break down or any after battle analysis show heat damage.

I feel like there have been a few times where they've gotten lucky and managed to fry some important circuits

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Mammoth is going to get destroyed by the first good horizontal spinner it faces, but I loving love it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I enjoyed Lucky vs Bloodsport

"Yeah, it was cool"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

Is there a good place to get older episodes?

A lot of the CC era ones are on YouTube

So Hydra is like immobile Bronco? Cause I'm down with that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh my god, Duck vs Cobalt was perfect :stwoon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I love how Ray Billings is such a great heel despite looking like such a schmuck

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know the rules exactly but how effective/illegal would it be to attach steel rods haphazardly to your robot with the idea of them getting jammed in a spinner/gears/whatever on impact? Like just position one exactly where the chain on Tombstone would be or something and wait for the attack.

I'm going to guess both ineffective and very illegal but if I were making a bot it'd just be a lifter and that lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxB8t68UvE&t=111s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Bronco showed up to filming late, apparently. I think it shows up next week.

I mean, as long as Bronco can drive and flip, its got an automatic entry into the tournament. It's a fan favorite

I really hope we get a Bronco/Hydra matchup at some point.

Also, even though it seems like they've finally found a good formula for getting a ton of episodes out per season, I'd love for them to add a middle weight class next year. That was always my favorite on the CC BattleBots

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

It's amazing how long it kept moving with a huge fire

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Yeah there's this boundary line regarding him that would easily turn him into an egotistical rear end in a top hat if ever crossed and he hasn't done that just yet

Imagine what he could legally do to some bots while they're down for the count

Yeah, he has a lot of fun being the villain when he wins, but he just acts equally happy when he loses. It's bizarrely endearing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

rarbatrol posted:

Yeah, I loved how they asked if deep six has a self righting mechanism, and he was like "nah". The thing is like nightmare but somehow more ridiculous.

I mean, they seem to understand they they have an absolutely horrifying glass cannon and seem content to just run with it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
"He flipped you the bird" :laugh:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I cannot believe that the Skorpios driver is younger than Donald Hutson

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Obesity makes you look older than your real age. Sad but true fact

Also the grey hair

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If Chomp does return, I really hope they redesign it to lower the center of gravity

All of the AI in the world doesn't mean poo poo if you're on your side for 2/3s of the battle

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Lol, get poo poo on Hydra

As an old-school Biohazard fan, watching team Wyachi eat poo poo tonight was super fun

Also, can we get another 3 minutes of the Huge fight

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Only 1 more episode this season :qq:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Huge nearly beat Biteforce last season and would have done so this year :colbert:

Seriously, go rewatch it, Huge was dominating that fight until it just split in half

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mantis42 posted:

One of the bots tested positive, they're not saying who tho

Probably Biohazard

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh poo poo, Chomp got the big overhaul it needed. Having the hammer on a rotating turret is going to be huge for it's ability to actually attack effectively

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zedd posted:

The new Chomp is terrifying. All other bots are overgrown RC cars with lethal weapons. Chomp is a legit tank.

Hopefully they have thicker side armor for spinners because it's a sitting duck out there

I was expecting CC Season 3 Son of Wyachi speed, not this turtle pace

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Was that poo poo fiberglass? What were they thinking?!?

It felt like that kind of bot you would have seen on the Comedy Central era battle bots.

People learned long ago that Kevlar is useless in battlebots

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any rule that says a dog can't be a Battlebot?

Hi, I have the SPCA on the phone, they would like to talk to you

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wish they'd bring back the middle weight class, that always had the best damage/armor ratio into the olden days. Plus, a 75 lbs is gonna be a lot cheaper to build than a 300lb one

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bodyholes posted:

MW is a good weight class for that reason. It's light enough that the barrier to entry for mortals is not bad but it's heavy enough for hits to feel like they have weight to them. In lighter classes durability is higher and bots just seem to fling each other rather than doing damage.

HW was picked because a lot of veteran bots are in that class. Also, in the old days, MW just wasn't competitive. There was one good robot in the class until season 5. Didn't make for great TV.

Isn't the current Battlebots weight somewhere between the old Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight class?

Looking back, yeah, I guess Hazard really did just completely dominate Middle Weight, winning 3/5 years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
That was such a great episode

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lone Goat posted:

The lifting arm itself would have to be heavily armoured too, right? If that thing gets clipped and is even a little askew it won't be able to retract properly, and it's gonna get sheared right off against a lot of the spinners, wouldn't it?

An arm like the one Biohazard had would get insanely hosed up with the weapons that exist these days. I think its just too many moving parts and things that can break.

Seriously, the bot I can think of with anything like a modern weapon system that Biohazard fought was SoW

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I got the impression Chomp is local to wherever they film, but maybe not

Chomp is LA based, one of the former team members worked for my dad (and got us tickets to a filming a couple seasons back)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Just got to watch the episode

Lol Beta, that was entirely predictable.

Poor Huge, you tried so hard and even drove pretty well. But you ain't beating Whiplash when he drives that well.

And I haven't seen anyone play with it's food like Hydra did in a while. I felt like teams used to just beat up on broken bots a lot more in the past.

logikv9 posted:

gigabyte's match making me think again that if somebody could build an extremely reliable full body spinner, they could carry the entire season

I don't know if it can be done. Was Ziggo the last full body spinner to have any success?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Hydra posted this teaser of their fight with Gigabyte:

:geno:

God, I've always hated team Wyachi

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Boy, those Omni-wheels are loving something
God drat, shatter looked terrifying

I liked what Jackpot tried, but lmao, that's what you get for changing things

Yay, Mammoth, everything went right and they're so delightfully nerdy

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 26, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Mammoth vs Shatter is probably going to be pretty comical... Probably not the best matchup for Shatter but they probably can maneuver and maybe get a few shots at the tires or get in and break Mammoths flipper thing...

A similar matchup from a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzaYmcULomc&t=405s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

TomR posted:

With a bit of luck and favorable matchups Huge could in theory win a tournament. Mammoth would need way more luck and probably has more bots that would be hard counters to it.
It would be pretty boring to only have straightforward bots that don't take any design chances so I'm glad with have both Huge and Mammoth.

Yeah, I know we had been getting annoyed at the vertical spinner meta, so I'm really glad we've got some oddballs doing really well this year

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I feel like it was a bit mean to highlight Matty Vasquez in the intro, only for him to lose

But yeah, great season, great fights, gently caress hydra

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Though part of it is that the producers get to choose who can actually compete and intentionally encourage strange bots and reject things that are just boring clones.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I always assumed Fusion was basically the Wyachi team House Bot for testing Hydra against different poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

Functional and effective killsaws (maybe designed by the teams to be like, triple-toothed thick spinners) or an eggbeater (or two) mounted to the sides of the arena could give you destruction opportunity even once the competitors burn out or throw belts.

Hazards like that would be basically free weapon weight if you can effectively use it, even if they only turn on in the final minute.

In the past, especially in lighter classes, hazards could really make a difference and also spice up the driving battle in the case of saws.

Yeah, the hazards were a much bigger deal for light weight and middle weight, much less so for Heavyweight++