Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did they ever flirt with weight limits by weapon type? Kinda feels like certain weapon types could use some love from the rules-set. I'd definitely say someone bringing a hammer to a spinner fight is penalising themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Coaaab posted:

80 lbs for bars, discs, drums, & the like and 120 lbs for shell spinners. On paper, spinner vs hammer is to the hammerbot's disadvantage, but I think one obvious strategy is for the hammerbot to use an armored configuration because of its lighter weapon and use the kinetic energy of the opponent's spinner against them. Spinner is still more likely to win, but I think it evens the odds a bit.

Oh, I meant more like, "Hammer bots get an extra 20 lbs weight limit to play with" like they have for walkers, rather than the weights on the weapons themselves. Or maybe something like, "the weight of the hammer doesn't count towards the weight limit" or something like that that allows heavier hammer mechanisms compared to spinner mechanisms. It feels like non-spinners need something or non-spinner bots will remain either bad or glorified pushers that technically possess a weapon.

Gort fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone else think the show needs autopsies? In tons of matches one robot breaks down for no obvious reason and it'd be cool to get explanations for what broke when a knockout occurred. It'd also be neat to see all the damage caused by the weapons after the match.

Scrotum Modem posted:

This week's episode not as good as last week's. oh well

Last week's episode was phenomenal though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

sweet geek swag posted:

Duck was great, I will hear no criticism of Duck.

That being said, Battlebots would be awfully boring if all the robots were like Duck.

Duck was boring garbage and it was hilarious watching the driver getting angrier and angrier after his robot - which was incapable of causing damage, being aggressive or controlling a match - continually lost judge decisions hinging on damage, control and aggression

"My robot is hard to destroy because it barely has a weapon" is not some genius robot design and it's great that Duck is gone this season

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

drat, you couldn't really tell from the fight, but Gigabyte really hosed up Malice.

why don't they put this poo poo in the actual show

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

(Hydra) needed to do something outside the box to beat Huge

No, they didn't.

Edit: OK I suppose flipping them out of the box is technically "outside the box" but you know what I mean

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I wonder if it's that weapons are specifically limited in weight, while armour isn't. Might be the weight limits need eased on the weapons, or imposed on the armour. There are definitely some robots (EG: Whiplash, Sawblaze) that profit from having light weapons that do mostly cosmetic damage or just shove the other robot around, and using the saved weight for sturdy armour and good engines for pushing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's this monkey football thing about

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So what're people watching while Battlebots is off-season?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I'm the biggest proponent of rules changes to make certain types of bot viable (EG: Weight bonus for hammer bots that must be spent on weapon) but if you thought that finale wasn't a banger you weren't watching properly. Black Dragon spent two entire minutes on fire. Hydra got knocked the gently caress out. Endgame took Whiplash to pieces.

I get the impulse to be like, "God it's another spinner winning again", but when you've watched a bunch of other robot fighting shows (Robot Wars, King of Bots, or god forbid, Russian youtube videos of tournaments) you know how tragically dull robot fighting is when robots can't damage each other and everything is decided by shoving matches. At least spinners bring a reliable weapon to the table that can knock another robot out by damage alone - that's always worth watching. I'd also say Endgame's victory was far from certain. Almost everyone reckoned Hydra had it sewn up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That'd hurl both robots sideways, which isn't that desirable. A nice thing about a vertical spinner is that it chucks the target upwards while driving you into the floor, which is a much more survivable impact than say, Tombstone hurling itself into an arena wall.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zedd posted:

SoW bounty was amazing, and I'm now sold on the Jake (Right? Hydra guy) being p decent all along.

There was a definite marketing effort in that episode to make him look like less of an rear end in a top hat. Check out the big goofy smiles picture of him on the screen where they were comparing the specs of SOW and Gigabyte.

Seems to be working though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

UltraShame posted:

It'd be nice if the fee for entrance wasn't "shitloads of disposable income and time" because then we'd get many more entrants, but it's not a "real" sport.

That's pretty much the definition of entrants for a real sport though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Great Beer posted:

This is also a good demonstration of why we need reliable killsaws to make a return. Right now a control bots options are the useless and frequently broken pulverizers, ramming into the screws and hoping the target gets stuck, or just driving around.

Control bots are dull compared to a good damage bot though. I'd much rather see bots blown clean in half by a good spinner hit than some grabby-claw bot holding the opposing bot motionless for thirty seconds, arguing with the ref about it the whole time

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Spinner bots are dull compared to a good control bot though. I'd much rather see bots get driven circles around being slammed into walls by a good control bot than some 4wd box with a wheels and a small vertical spinner, losing it's belt almost immediately.

Plus "control bot" doesn't have to be a bot that can't do damage. I'd consider whiplash, sawblaze, and skorpios to be control bots, for example. But making the arena more deadly would be a serious boost to bots like Kraken and help push the meta away from everyone becoming Bite Force.

Agree to disagree, I suppose - Uppercut destroying Sawblaze in a giant fireball was rad as hell, as was the Valkyrie vs Rotator slugging match. My ideal match is one where a bot knocks the other bot out with a weapon hit, and I find pushing matches dull. Sure, bits of bots can break (looking at you, Tombstone) but that's as true of weapons as it is of motors, wheels, batteries, and so on.

To counter the vertical spinner meta, I'd like to see rules changes like the weight of a hammerbot's hammer not counting towards the bot's weight. Let's bring other weapon types up to the feasibility of the vertical spinner.

I remember UK Robot Wars had a pit where if a robot fell in it was eliminated. It was extremely anti-climactic, and is part of why I don't want to see arena hazards be decisive in a match.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Chronojam posted:

It also leaned entirely into having oversized, exposed wheels, but makes it work.

It works until it meets a horizontal spinner, at which point it dies messily

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Great Beer posted:

"gently caress flippers" seems to be the sentiment at production. They keep having to fight huge, a robot they can do nothing against.

Mammoth threw Huge out of the arena, I don't see why a robot like Hydra couldn't do something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Otteration posted:

Yay Rusty (for awhile anyway)!

Good for GiggaByte too. Looks like they missed taking a few shots from behind in their initial fights though too? Just a thought.

What happened?